Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Post by Raiko »

Melody,[img]https://i.imgur.com/XwaPhRf.jpg[/img] [color=#fF0040]"[b]Mr Smith[/b], I'm sorry about [b]Mr Stringer's [/b]careless question earlier. He sends his apologies, I hope [b]Miss Urula[/b] wasn't too upset? She looked so happy arranging the seeds with you."[/color] [b]Melody [/b]smiles at the gardener and speaks quietly, [color=#fF0040]"If I may be so bold, I wonder if it might be possible for me to observe the grounds from your cottage tonight? [b]Miss Urula[/b], poor thing, has taken to gazing out at the grounds in her sleep. Watching from your cottage would make sure that there's nothing to see, without risking upsetting her." "Oh yes, the other night - did you notice any animal tracks after you heard the scratching on your roof?"[/color] [ooc]Sorry, I couldn't post this weekend, just trying to catch up. :oops:[/ooc]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander will get some sleep before it is time for his shift tonight. He will use his portable alarm clock to awaken himself, making sure it is fully wound and set to the proper time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"I think it would be best if only we are awake tonight. After dinner I will prepare the study and the library. Are there any other rooms do you think?" Isolde looks at Lady Allingham. "I may have to move lamps around, I'll place crystals and maybe make some marks; please do not disturb any of these during the night. I'm expecting this to take me several hours. Those who wish to observe may do so.
Then I will retire until midnight. I will check the preparations and then take my watch in the library." Isolde looks at Percy and the captain.
"Obviously we cannot cover the whole house but it may be useful to have someone roaming silently, especially in the corridors between the study, the library and any other room that Lady Allingham suggests if you like this idea."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”I would be happy to take that role,” said Captain FitzWilliam, ”I would rather keep moving than have to stay in one place.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

"Jolly good," Percy agrees. "That leaves the kitchen as the other room which I recall has seen disturbances and which I shall therefore set up camp in once the servants are retired." He heads off to rest and digest the trout until the appointed hour.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Melody,[color=#408000]“Oh, she was fine" [/color][b]Smith[/b] replies. [color=#408000]"It’s just been difficult for her as you can imagine. She’s an only child too, and doesn’t have any playmates, poor thing. I try to keep her occupied.”[/color] [color=#408000]“Certainly, you can watch from the cottage. I didn’t see any tracks that time, come to think about it”.[/color]
12am, later that night.

The servants have been ordered to remain in their quarters, and only the companions and Lady Amanda are active. Isolde has completed her preparations, and beside her Amanda fidgets impatiently, eagerly awaiting some kind of sign. Captain Fitzwilliam is patrolling the corridors, while Percy shuffles sleepily around the kitchen. Alexander waits quietly in the study, while Melody watches from the cottage, trying to get a glimpse of any movement outside. Mr. Smith snores in the background.

A couple of hours pass, and the house is still. The warmth has left the rooms, and it is growing bitterly cold as the temperature outside drops even further.
Fitzwilliam,[b]Fitzwilliam[/b] is in the dining room, on the chapel side of the room. He hears a squeaking sound. Raising his lantern, he sees the door handle on the door across from him turning. But no-one enters, and the door handle returns to its usual position with a snap.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam,The hairs on the back of his neck stood up as [b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] stepped quietly across the room and quickly placed the lantern on a serving table near the door. With a firm grip on his walking stick, he opened the door and looked into the chapel beyond.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

FitzWilliam,In the dim, flickering light cast by the lantern, FitzWilliam can see that there is no-one in the corridor.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] picked up his lantern and held it forward so as to better illuminate the corridor. [color=#800000]”Who’s there?”[/color] he asked, sternly.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde has sat herself in a shadowy corner of the library with Lady Allingham next to her. She watches the carefully placed candles flickering in the cool air and checks the light sparkling off nine crystals placed in a large pentagram shape that spans the room.

She has drawn a faint symbol above the door, the fireplace and the windows, these marks can be seen on other planes and act as guides; so she explained to Lady Allingham earlier in the evening. Around the room she has placed certain tarot cards; these are to facilitate communication with any spirits that may wish to send a message.

She has made similar preparations in the study and the kitchen and has spent time channelling in the corridors between.
ooc,My next post will be a spoiler but I wanted everyone to know the preparations.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander relaxes in an armchair in the study, contemplating the mysteries of science as he keeps watch.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

FitzWilliam,The hall is plainly empty and [b]FitzWilliam[/b] can see that the front doors are closed. It is possible that someone may be on the other side of the staircase.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] stepped forward carefully, holding up the lantern to illuminate the corners of hallway, before he moved around the bottom of the staircase to check the other side.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

FitzWilliam,There is no one there.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam,[b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] sighed and shook his head. He had wondered if it was [b]Percy[/b] playing a trick on him to get his own back for the comment about the diplomatic corps earlier in the day, but he reasoned that he wouldn’t be so foolish to attract the ire of Lady Allingham again. He held the lantern up to light the hallway and, satisfied that there was nothing in the hallway, turned around to head back into the dining room.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alexander,[b]Alexander[/b] is interrupted in his musings by what sounds like a soft moan outside the door.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander,[b]Alexander[/b] creeps over to the door, not wanting to disturb whoever is making the noise, and peeks through the keyhole.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

In the kitchen, Percy periodically checks the cellar for signs of ghosts and also helps himself to a midnight snack.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde,"We could read some books if you wish, Lady Allingham." Isolde rises and paces silently around the bookshelves. She listens intently and tries to tune in spiritually. She hums in a low, continuous tone and trails her left hand along the bookshelves. When the time seems 'right' she takes that seemingly random book to the table. Without looking at its title, she opens it at a random page and reads what is written. "Are you interested in spiritually and the supernatural, Lady Allingham?" She asks quietly.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody,[img]https://i.imgur.com/XwaPhRf.jpg[/img] Inside the small cottage, [b]Melody [/b] pulls her coat more tightly around herself, peering out through the frosty glass at the graveyard and the grounds. [i]This is silly[/i], she thinks to herself, [i]the only things that [b]Ursula [/b]sees out here are in her dreams. And [b]Mr. Smith[/b] probably heard a squirrel on the roof.[/i]

Return to “The Burnt Man”