Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, I'd like to stop at the cottage," says Alexander.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

aine wrote:Isolde, disappointed in the graveyard and feeling chilled and damp, just huddles in her thick scarf and stamps her feet to keep warm. She rather fancies the idea of spending more time in the warmer library looking through the family history.
"I think I might walk back to the house and start on those records; maybe get them into some semblance of order."
”I think I will join you,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”I’d like to read up on the family history.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Josephine and Ursula are at the cottage so its a chance to talk to them a bit more if you want. Everyone can go to the library after; there's plenty of time and the advantage is it will increase your chances of a successful search.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,OK.
”...on the other hand,” said Captain FitzWilliam, ”If it’s on the way back, we may as well pop in and see what he’s got to say. He may even have a fire going...” He rubbed his hands together briskly. He’d never previously been bothered by the cold but his time abroad had changed that, and even his gloves weren’t keeping him warm.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

'I suppose we'll be out of the cold sooner if we stop at the cottage. Let's walk!' Isolde turns away out of the stables hoping Howard will lead the way.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody smiles and greets the gardener when the society arrive at his house.

"Hello Mr. Smith."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Smith’s cottage is a simple one-room affair, although it’s whitewashed walls are clean and there is a comforting rich, earthy smell to it. Smith himself is fussing with a seed tray in the company of Ursula as the investigators approach, while Josephine looks on fondly behind them. Smith cheerfully returns Melody’s greeting.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good day, Mr. Smith," says Alexander. "My apologies if we're interrupting."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

”Not at all, sir” replies Smith. Miss Ursula an’ me was just preparing the bulbs for spring, weren’t we, Miss?”

Ursula nods, smiling.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Percy clears his throat. "Do you or Howard, in your years of working here, recall any previous episodes of unusual activity at Bargrove?" he inquires. "Perhaps around the time of the other male relatives' untimely passing?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Smith shifts uncomfortably and Howard looks taken aback at the question.

“I hardly think that this is a suitable topic to talk about in front of the young miss, sir” he says firmly. “And the answer is no. Never.”

He pauses. “Perhaps it would be better to return to the house now.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander rolls his eyes at Percy's thoughtless question. "If you think it best," he says to Howard before turning to Smith and Ursula. "I'm sure we'll see you around later during our stay."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Have you considered applying for a posting with the diplomatic corps?” asked Captain FitzWilliam, drily. ”I hear they are crying out for men with your talents...”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Bah!" says Percy.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions are led back to the house, feeling somewhat shamefaced at their latest indiscretion.

“We have some time before the evening meal” announces Howard. “I believe that it is your intention to peruse the library? If this is the case, I will have one of the servants bring you some tea, and have a fire lit for you.”
OOC,Would you like to search the library now? It will take some time to search through the books, perhaps even several days. If you roll successfully, you can find something. If not, you can try again tomorrow. What are you looking for?
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Really it is too much." Isolde mutters to Alexander on the way back. "Whenever one wishes to speak frankly with someone, young Ursula is around." Once they get to the library, Isolde immediately starts scanning the books for titles on local superstitions and anything on the occult; with her rudimentary knowledge on this subject she feels this is a better use of her time, leaving the family history to the others. At least for this afternoon.
library,(75%) roll:61
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's nae the wee lassie's fault," replies Alexander to Isolde. "She's rather charming, and I would have liked to show her another scientific demonstration. She seemed so pleased with the last one."

"Thank you, Howard," Alexander says once they return to the house. "Some tea and a nice warm fire would be lovely." He researches the family's history, focusing particularly on the mid-17th century.
OOC,Library Use roll (60% skill) researching the family's history: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I understand that there was a book upstairs in one of the bedrooms,” said Captain FitzWilliam to Howard. ”If I heard correctly, it may have come from his Lordship’s room? I would be interested to read that, if it would not be an impertinent request.”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The search has taken several tiring hours but the investigators have turned up two items of interest. One is a slim, privately-printed leather-bound book entitled A History of Bargrove Parish, dating from 1750, and written by a Thomas Worthington. It seems to detail facts and legends about the area.

The other is a thick, gilt-embossed book written by the late Charles Allingham while he was a student at Cambridge, and printed solely for the Allingham family. It is named The Allinghams of Bargrove Hall.

Unfortunately the hour is growing late, and Howard drops by to enquire after their searches and to inform that dinner will be served in around twenty minutes. The books will have to wait to be perused.

Confronted by Captain Fitzwilliam’s question, Howard is confused. “I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific sir” he asks. “What book and whose room are you referring to?”
OOC,I’m also unaware of what book this might be. Please be aware that if Howard or Lady Allingham find out that someone has been creeping around her bedroom, you all might find yourselves back on the train to London.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Percy, who spent the hours the others were searching the library taking a nap in preparation for the night's vigil, is already on his way to get ready for dinner.
OOC,Percy saw some books in Lady Allingham's room but he never mentioned them to anyone. We already know she's interested in the occult so it's natural she would be reading about it.

Return to “The Burnt Man”