Page 1 of 1

Chapter 3: Heart of Dartmoor

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Wednesday December 15th

Paddington Station, 8am

Paddington.jpg
The train leaves Paddington promptly, bound for the West Country. It is still quite dark and the sky is overcast, threatening snow. The train passes through the west London suburbs and heads out to the countryside. The urban character of the city gradually gives way to the green of fields and meadows, although a light frost lays upon the land, the view sometimes obscured by the steam from the engine.

It is necessary to change several times as the destination is somewhat remote, and the track gauges are different. As the day wears on, the landscape takes on a more somber cast as the train rattles through steepening gradients, and the companions are confronted by the bare, windswept hills and boggy moorland of Dartmoor. There are glimpses of gnarled trees, bleak outcroppings of granite, and the occasional stop at a small, lonely village, but the countryside is largely bare.
Dartmoor.jpg
It is almost dusk as the train’s final destination, the small town of Princetown, is reached. A sign proclaims it to be the highest station in England, at a height of 1427 feet above sea level. The line terminates here, and our investigators disembark with their belongings, as it is from Princetown that they must reach their final destination at the village of Bargrove, and Bargrove Hall. With great gasping sounds, the engine shuts down for the night, and the crew begin to prepare it for the return journey in the morning.

A lone man shuffles out, wearing a station master’s uniform. In a gruff, thickly accented voice, he asks to examine tickets. No other passengers have disembarked. The investigators are quite alone.

Re: Chapter 3: Heart of Dartmoor

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:32 pm
by Rooter
Percy already misses the bustle of London, if not the pollution. He shows his ticket to the uniformed man. "Perhaps we should have sent a telegram ahead to have a driver meet here to take us to the Hall," he remarks to the others. "I don't much fancy spending the night here."

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 pm
by Philulhu
”I should think Mr Shearer would have arranged a carriage,” said Captain FitzWilliam.

”Excuse me, Station Master,” he said to the uniformed official. ”We are visitors of Lady Allingham. Do you know if transport has been arranged for us to get to the hall?”

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:07 am
by HoneyDog
The man shrugs indifferently. He begins collecting the tickets from the companions, scarcely bothering to examine them.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:27 am
by Raiko
The highest station in England, 1427 feet above sea level - well I certainly won't be seeing the new pier at Paignton then. Melody looks around at the bleak landscape; beautiful, but desolate and unwelcoming. Primal. She tries to laugh off her own unease.

"Hard to believe that somewhere so beautiful could be cursed."

Hard to believe that anyone would choose to live here, curse or no curse!

"It looks a bit like how my mother describes Inverness," she says to Alexander , smiling sweetly as she hands her ticket to the surly station master.

"If nothing has been arranged, there must be a pub or an inn close by the station where we can ask for help or directions Captain."

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander smiles back, absently handing his ticket to the man collecting them. "Ah, yes, Inverness is such a lovely city," he says, "especially with the Loch nearby. This also puts me in mind of the Highlands. I'm an Edinburgh man myself, not a Highlander, but I've been there and seen the beauty of the place. The moors, the mountains...1427 feet may be the highest point in England, but that's nothing in the Scottish Highlands."

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:34 am
by Philulhu
Bristling at the obtuse response from the Station Master, Captain FitzWilliam marched out of the station to see if there was a carriage waiting on the road outside.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:17 pm
by Rooter
"Come along now, sir, surely you aren't going to leave a gentle lady and her voluminous luggage out here in the cold," Percy says to the station master, indicating Isolde while naturally neglecting to include Melody as a mere servant. "Be so kind as to send a boy for the next conveyance to Bargrove and have your porters ready to load."

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:33 pm
by HoneyDog
The Station Master sniffs disdainfully at Percy and turns away.

Just as the risk arises of nerves becoming somewhat frayed, there comes the sound of hooves and wheels on gravel. Fitzwilliam spies a coach drawn by two white horses approaching up the lane to the station. The coach stops in front of the station and the driver climbs down. He is of late middle age and his face is heavily-lined, his black hair shot through with grey. Holding his cap in his hands, he approaches the party.

“Ah’m McKenzie he says. His accent is obviously Scottish; perhaps a surprise to those expecting a local man. “If you’re the party for Bargrove Hall, Lady Allingham sent me to fetch ye.”

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:00 pm
by Philulhu
”Well met, Mr McKenzie,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”I was growing concerned that we might have to walk.”

Returning to the platform, he retrieved his travel trunk and carried it back to the carriage. He didn’t see the Station Master to speak to but determined that he would write a stiff letter of complaint to the railway company in the morning. Such a disagreeable fellow!
OOC,Is the carriage covered or open? Is there enough space for everyone inside, if covered?

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 pm
by aine
Isolde watches the dark clouds scudding over the low sky and shivers, "Isn't this so atmospheric! Cold too! She hurries towards the carriage, "Hello, McKenzie, my trunk and bags are on the platform; there doesn't seem to be a porter here."

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"A pleasure to meet ye, Mr. McKenzie," says Alexander with a broad grin, extending his hand. "I'm Dr. Alexander Campbell. It's good to meet a fellow Scot so far from home."

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:03 pm
by HoneyDog
McKenzie seems a little taken aback, but after a moments hesitation he takes Alexander’s hand.

“Aye” he says, trying not to look Alexander in the eye. He then starts loading the luggage onto the carriage.

It is a tight squeeze, but both the bags and the society are able to fit onto the open-topped carriage. As they pass through Princetown, they are able to see a few shops, a post office and a small police station, as well as some simple but well-kept houses.

The carriage continues down the road towards Bargrove. McKenzie concentrates on his driving, not seeking to engage in conversation. He shakes his head and shrugs his shoulders if any questions are asked.

“The Mistress will tell ye aboot it” is the only information he will commit to. “Ah wouldnae know anythin’”.

As the coach rattles down the lane, the companions have a view of the valley, now bathed in the gentle glow of dusk. It seems almost serene, and it is hard to believe that an act of such shocking violence occurred near here recently. After about twenty minutes, they begin to ascend the hill on which Bargrove Hall stands, and can see the small village about a mile away.

The Hall is a magnificent Manor House dating from the Fifteenth Century. It has obviously been expanded and modernized over the years, but retains its essential character as the seat of a noble land-owning family, commanding impressive views of the surrounding countryside. Its façade is overgrown with ivy, and as the carriage draws closer, small lead-lined windows and an ornamental façade dotted with leering gargoyles can be seen. It is a two-storied building with an attic, and clearly observable east and west wings. A variety of outbuildings can be seen around the grounds; there is no wall or gate to enter.

As the carriage pulls up the door is opened, and welcoming light issues forth. Despite the age of the building, it is obvious that modern gas lighting has been installed. The staff, which numbers around ten individuals, is lined up to greet the guests. The most commanding member is of course the butler.

This individual introduces himself as Howard, a tall man with a slight stoop, who appears to be in his early sixties. The staff begin to unload the luggage while Howard ushers the companions through arched double doors of aged oak into the entrance hall, which rises the full height of the manor from floor to roof. Suits of armour stand in niches either side of the entrance, and medieval tapestries bearing coats of arms hang above them. A broad staircase sweeps up to the first floor.

The staff begin carrying the visitor’s bags up the stairs.

Lady Allingham would like you to refresh yourselves after your long journey before greeting you” Howard says politely. “She urges you not to rush on her account. After introductions have been made, dinner will be served. The entire staff, including myself, are at your disposal.”
OOC,This is a big house and the investigators will end up exploring it, so please begin to get a sense of the layout. I’ll try to give you as much detail as I can.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:29 pm
by Rooter
Percy nods his approval. "Capital. I must say the lady has a nice little abode here." He gives the nearest suit of armor a tap. "Charles the Second, isn't it? I can see myself living in a place like this once fame and fortune come my way. Mind if I inspect the facilities?" Without waiting for a reply he heads upstairs, following the baggage, perhaps hoping to catch their host in an unguarded moment.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:18 pm
by aine
Isolde waits to be shown her room and then goes to the window to look out at the darkening landscape. Having been both 'above and below stairs' she is unsure whether she'll be allotted a lady's maid or not. Either way, she is excited about the evening's prospects and prepares to change for dinner.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:15 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam walked across the hall slowly, leaning on his cane. His leg bothered him as a result of the travel, but not as much as he was letting on. It did give him the opportunity to examine the hall before he ascended the stairs and followed his trunk in the direction of the room he had been allocated.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander takes a good look around as he heads up to his room, following his bags.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 pm
by HoneyDog
The guests are directed to the right of the stairs and can follow the servants to their rooms. There does seem to be a large number of rooms on the first floor, but all the doors are closed. Nothing seems out of the ordinary so far.

The companions are introduced to Mrs Beddowes, a plump and red-cheeked woman in her late thirties, and who must be the housekeeper. She shows the guests to their rooms, where steaming ewers of hot water await them. It is announced that after they are refreshed, Lady Allingham awaits them in the Parlour. The rooms are simple and clean, and generally unremarkable

Melody however is directed up a further flight of stairs to the attic, where a spare bed is provided for her. She is sharing with a young scullery maid named Mary, who is agog at the dark hue of Melody'sskin, such a sight being quite unusual in these parts.

Shortly everybody, including Melody, is asked to come to the Parlour.

The guests descend the stairs and turn right down a corridor. After turning left, they are directed into the Parlour. It is a large room, facing the front and side of the house. Overstuffed chairs are drawn around the fireplace, as the evening cold is drawing in. High, narrow windows display the dusk and the evening stars can be seen. The room is decorated with paintings of what presumably are family members, as well as small statuettes, trophies, and other objets d'art. A large canvas of an arrogant, fierce-looking man hangs over the fireplace, drape in black crepe.

A woman dressed in black sits in one of the chairs, facing the companions. She might be attractive, but her thin face is so drawn and exhausted-looking it is hard to tell. She is very slight in build. She doesn't rise, but in a polite and cultured voice announces herself as Lady Amanda Allingham, and bids the guests to sit down. Servants help direct our friends to these seats. Melody of course is left standing.

"I must express my sincere thanks for answering my summons" begins Lady Amanda. "I hope that our accomodations are adequate for your needs. I'd like to get to the point and explain why you have been asked here, and then we shall dine. Have you been made aware of the fate of my husband?" Her eyes are involuntarily drawn to the picture over the fireplace.

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your hospitality, m'lady," says Alexander with a bow before sitting, "The accommodations are excellent. We've heard the basic facts, though we know little more about it than what was in the newspapers."

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:47 am
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda shudders. William had gone on his regular walk before dinner. He liked to stroll the fields where work was taking place. When he didn’t return some of the servants went to look for him. They…they found his body…” She covers her face with her hands.

After a moment, she is able to continue. “The police have been useless” she says, her face screwing up in dislike. “They pretend to have leads, but they have made no progress. The killers are right here! I’m sure of it!”

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:56 am
by Philulhu
”We will talk to the Police, to see what progress they have made,” said Captain FitzWilliam, in what he hoped was a reassuring tone.

”Why do you think that your husband’s killers may be among the local people? Has he made enemies in the local community?”

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:08 pm
by Raiko
Upstairs...

Melody is almost relieved to be taken up into the servants' quarters in the attic - she understands well how to remain quietly in the background when Dr. Campbell is in polite company, but is sure that she would commit some dreadful faux pas if she were to act above her station.

She looks around the small room and smiles warmly at Mary, she is used to people staring, especially on the doctor's trips outside London - and after her childhood in Limehouse she knows all too well that having a roof over her head makes her one of he lucky ones.

She introduces herself to Mary and asks, "Perhaps you'll 'ave time to show me around later?"

...and Downstairs

Now is probably a really good time to remain quiet, thinks Melody as she listens to Lady Allingham talking with the rest of the society. She looks at the painting above the fireplace, such a fierce man would be hard to work for, I wonder which servants discovered the Lord's body. Melody glances around the room to see which servants are present.

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody upstairs,[b]Mary[/b] nods. [color=#FF0040]“Of course!”[/color] she exclaims. [color=#FF0040]“But I think the [b]Mistress [/b]will give you and yours the run of the house anyway. She’s been in an awful state since [b]Sir William [/b]died. No doubt you’ll dine with us this evening.” [/color]She is called, and hurries away.
Melody downstairs,Melody sees the butler and housekeeper in attendance.
Lady Amanda turns to the Captain. “They hated him, the villagers” she snarls. William was progressive in the changes he wanted to make. He wanted to make the farms and smallholdings more productive, but he was resisted at every turn. Those backwards fools couldn’t understand that we need to change with the times. They can’t just continue as they have forever.” She slumps back in her chair.

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:12 pm
by Rooter
"Quite so," Percy agrees. "This has been a terrible time for your family, Lady Allingham, and you have my sympathy. Now, from what you say of the circumstances it seems one of the villagers is a likely suspect. But given the nature of our society which you have asked for aid, I presume you have some other theory? Mr. Shearer mentioned you had an idea the old boy is still around in the spirit, as it were. And I'm sure you've heard this talk of a curse."

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:14 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Is there anyone among the villagers you suspect in particular, milady?" asks Alexander. "Do they have a leader?"

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:37 pm
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda raises herself and fixes Percy with a ferocious glare.

“Old boy? How dare you sir!”

Lady Amanda is livid with rage, and storms from the room, barely in control of herself.
OOC,? Seriously?

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:29 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam rolled his eyes. ”Well done, Mr Stringer,” he said drily.

”Lady Allingham is of landed gentry,” he explained patiently. ”You can’t address her as you would speak to a barrow boy down the East End.” FitzWilliam stood and said to the Butler, ”Please convey our most sincere apologies to her Ladyship. If and when she is ready to talk, perhaps one or two of us may speak to her again?” He looked pointedly to Percy, to make it clear that he thought that the reporter would not be one of that number.

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:27 pm
by Raiko
Oh dear Mr Stringer, thinks Melody, that's why I'm glad to be quietly stood back here.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:13 am
by Rooter
"Lady Allingham is clearly overwrought," Percy replies defensively. "Though I confess I am more used to dealing with the patrons of London's more, ah, scurrilous gentlemen's clubs than the nobility in my work. Ah, well. Perhaps she'll calm down and we'll see her at dinner."

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:43 am
by Philulhu
”She’s overwrought because her husband has just been murdered!” snapped Captain FitzWilliam, his colour rising. ”Perhaps you would do well to excuse yourself from dinner, to give her ladyship time to recover. You’ll be lucky if she just doesn’t send you back to London on the first train!”

He shook his head and looked to the rest of the party to see if they had anything to say.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 pm
by aine
Isolde shakes her head gently, "The gentry are a different breed to us mortals; I should know having been governess in several families. Indeed, think of them almost as immortal; maybe not the individual but certainly the family, the name, their place in the landscape and in history.
Speak only when you are spoken to and then with deference. I should think Mr Stringer might consider feeling under the weather tonight; we could make your excuses."

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander keeps his mouth shut. Melody has the right of it, he thinks. Better to say nothing than to say the wrong thing.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:36 am
by HoneyDog
The butler, who had hurried out after Lady Amanda’s dramatic exit, returns and announces his mistress, who appears to have calmed down. She resumes her seat and addresses the companions, but her voice is cold.

“Owing to the fact that I am pressed for time, I am forced to retain your services. But I will not be insulted again. You sir!” she says to Percy, with iron in her voice. “You will refer to my late husband respectfully or not at all! Is that clear?”

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 am
by Rooter
"Indeed, I apologize for my poor choice of words, Lady Allingham," Percy replies contritely. "Different worlds and all that. I assure you I am as anxious as anyone here to see your husband's killers brought to justice. Please proceed with your instructions."

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:46 pm
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda nods. “Thank you Mr. Stringer she says. “I accept your apology. Now, I would like to give you a clearer idea of why your society in particular was asked to help. We’ll have dinner soon, and I’d rather not discuss these matters in front of my daughter, so if you have any pressing questions please ask them now, not at dinner.” She pauses.

“As I said, the police have been no help, so I must take matters into my own hands. I am sure that the killer or killers are not far from us, and once they have been brought to justice, then William will be able to know final rest.”

She hesitates, then carries on. “Since his murder, just over a week ago, strange events have been occurring here.” She gathers her shawl around herself. “For example, doors and windows which were barred at night have been found unfastened and wide open in the morning. Objects and furniture in the rooms have been rearranged. The servants can attest to this; some have sat up all night in attempts to catch the prowler, but have seen nothing. I believe it is William. It must be!”

A far-off look has entered her eyes. “He cannot pass on to the Other Side until his soul knows peace, and so his restless spirit is with us. You must help me contact him! He will be able to tell us whom his tormenters were! We can bring his murderers to justice!” Her voice rises, she seems on the edge of hysteria.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:14 pm
by Philulhu
Despite himself, Captain FitzWilliam felt a shiver run down his spine. He thought himself a pragmatic man but he found Lady Allingham’s recounting of events disturbing. He glanced across at Isolde and wondered how she would respond.

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:42 pm
by Raiko
Melody's eyes are drawn nervously back to the painting of the stern lord, as though she expects the ghost of Lady Allingham's late husband to emerge into the room from within the portrait.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also glances at Isolde, who is the expert in such matters. He would rather not mention his skepticism in front of Lady Amanda, who probably would not take it kindly. In any case, they will ultimately need to uncover concrete evidence. A ghost cannot testify in court, after all.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:08 pm
by aine

Isolde nods gentle as she listens to Lady Allingham. "Yes, Lady Allingham, you are quite correct. Lord Allingham's spirit is likely unable to rest after such an atrocity. We can hope to contact his spirit and perhaps give Lord Allingham and you, My Lady, closure. Whether we can gain such specific knowledge; well, we can try. We are an intrepid group of investigators and will do our best on the mundane plane as well to allow justice to be served." She wonders privately whether justice has already been done but she obviously says nothing out loud.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda visibly calms. “That is what I was hoping you’d say” she says in a gentler tone of voice. “You have my permission to make a full exploration of Bargrove Hall, and the servants have been ordered to fully cooperate with you. The coachman and the carriage are also at your disposal. I will of course try to answer any questions that you have as well as I can, and I very much hope that we will be able to contact William. Of course, you must be tired, so please begin your investigations tomorrow. Now, let us adjourn for dinner.”

She gets up and leaves the room, and Howard indicates for the companions to follow. He hesitates when he sees Melody, and addresses Alexander. “Sir, do you require your servant to be present with you at dinner?” he asks.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander glances at Melody, unspoken communication passing between them from years of having worked together. He realizes that she may hear gossip that the rest of them won't by eating with the Allinghams' servants. "No, thank you, that will not be necessary," he says to Howard.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:46 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions leave the parlour for the dining room, which means retracing their steps back through the corridor and in front of the stairs in the hall. The dining room is rather gloomy and echoing; the table is large enough to seat 20 guests, although it is hard to imagine such festive occasions in the current circumstances. Despite the gloom, it is well-kept and all the furniture is highly-polished and in good condition.

Already seated are two people. One is a very pretty young girl of 8 years of age, blonde-haired and blue-eyed. This is Ursula, and she curtsies to the guests shyly before she seats herself. The young lady beside is introduced as Mme. Josephine DuCray, Ursula’s tutor. Tall and slender, in her mid-twenties, her long auburn hair is tied back. She greets the guests politely and with a steady gaze. Her accent is clearly French.

After witnessing the introductions, Melody is lead from the room by a servant; she will dine in the kitchen.
Melody,The kitchens are spacious and overlook the gardens and the moors, although of course it is too dark to see anything now. There are doors which [b]Melody[/b] is told lead to the cellars where assorted foodstuffs and provisions are stored. She enjoys a simple yet satisfying meal in the kitchens, surrounded by some of the staff, who are curious about her and ask her several questions as to her background and present employment. All are friendly and pleasant enough, although [b]Melody[/b] might detect some tension around interactions with [b]Mrs. Beddowes[/b], the housekeeper. [b]McKenzie[/b] is also present, as is a weather-beaten, grizzled man introduced as [b]Gerald Smith[/b], the gardener. [b]Howard[/b] is upstairs, waiting on the company.
Everyone else,Once everyone is seated, the meal begins. A few servants are in attendance and the guests are served a delicious and filling meal of soup, quail and roast beef, accompanied by red wine (if any of the companions are partial to that beverage).

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:46 pm
by Rooter
Being no stranger to causing outrage, Percy tucks in apparently undaunted by their host's earlier ire. "Bonjour, madame," he says, raising a glass of wine toward Josephine. "I trust the young lady's studies are progressing satisfactorily?"

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:24 pm
by Raiko
Melody,While she enjoys her meal [b]Melody[/b] happily talks about her background, answering all the questions with completely truthful answers. She explains that Dr. Campbell is a scientist and that she really enjoys working as his housekeeper and assistant, although she has only the most rudimentary understanding of his scientific research. She hopes that the servants will reply with details of their own backgrounds, but doesn't press. When she has spoken about [b]Alexander's [/b]science she says, [color=#FF0040]"It's because he is a man of science that Dr. Campbell is in the society, to prove that there ain't no such thing as ghosts. That would be why he brings me along as well, to show me how my head is full of superstitious nonsense. "But [b]Miss Beauchant[/b], she can talk with ghosts for real, science or no science."[/color] By talking honestly about her own and Alexander's differing views on the existence of ghosts, she hopes to hear what the servants have to share their own views about the curse and[b] Lady Allingham's [/b]beliefs. [b]Melody[/b] can't hide her own enthusiasm when she talks about [b]Isolde[/b], she is genuinely amazed and a little scared of the powers that the spiritualist claims to possess, claims that [b]Melody[/b] herslf completely believes.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:23 am
by Philulhu
Fortified by the red wine, Captain FitzWilliam decided to try to draw out Lady Allingham. ”Dinner was excellent,” he said. ”Was the food produced locally on the estate?”

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's a pleasure to meet you both," says Alexander with a bow before taking a seat. "It is good that you're getting an education, Miss Ursula. Have you any interest in the sciences?"

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:11 pm
by aine
Isolde looks around the gloomy dining room and shivers, "This place has so much history!" At dinner, when there is a polite pause, she asks, "Lady Allingham, may I ask how long has the Allingham family been here?" She smiles politely to Mme. Josephine but says nothing about her own past as a governess.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody,[color=#0000FF]“Yon Doctor should hae more o’ an open mind”[/color] says [b]McKenzie [/b]sagely.[color=#0000FF] “Thars things that man cannae possibly unnerstan’”.[/color] [b]Smith[/b] nods his grizzled head in agreement. [color=#408000]“You say she can talk ta ghosts?”[/color] he asks, in his thick Devon accent.
Everyone else,[b]Josephine[/b] nods at [b]Percy[/b], casting a fond glance at her charge. [color=#0040FF]“She does very well”[/color] she replies. [b]Lady Amanda[/b] addresses [b]Fitzwilliam[/b] first. [color=#FF4000]“We grow and raise some of what we need. Some of it is procured locally.”[/color] He mouth turns down as she says this. She turns to [b]Isolde[/b]. [color=#FF4000]“This is the ancestral home of the [b]Allingham[/b] family. They go back generations, at least to the 13th century”.[/color] [b]Ursula [/b]raises her head at [b]Alexander’s[/b] question, smiles shyly, and goes back to her food.[color=#0000FF] “I’m afraid we don’t really have the opportunity to explore sciences here, [b]Doctor[/b]”[/color] says [b]Josephine[/b] apologetically.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:45 pm
by Philulhu
”l’m sorry, Lady Allingham,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”l sense my question has inadvertently touched a nerve.”

He glanced at Ursula and Mme. Ducray. ”We can talk of such things later...” he said, and lapsed into silence.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:45 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[color=#FF0040]"Oh yes,"[/color] replies [b]Melody[/b], [color=#FF0040]"[b]Miss Beauchant[/b] is becoming very famous in London, I'm sure she is the reason that our society has been hired, I'm sure she will soon be able to contact thr ghost."[/color]

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:45 am
by HoneyDog
Melody,[color=#FF0040]"Well, ghost or not, there's definitely something strange going on around here"[/color] says another servant, a young woman.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, if you or your young student would like a lesson while I'm a guest of Lady Amanda's, I'd be more than happy to oblige," says Alexander. "I'm Dr. Alexander Campbell. Doctor of Science, not of Medicine."

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:28 am
by HoneyDog
“Oh!” exclaims Josephine. “I think we would like that very much! But of course, please do not let us distract you from your duties.”

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:36 am
by Raiko
Melody,[quote="a young servant"][color=#FF0040]"Well, ghost or not, there's definitely something strange going on around here"[/color][/quote] [color=#FF0040]"Have you seen the ghost?"[/color], asks [b]Melody[/b], wide eyed.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:54 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody,[color=#FF0040]“Well, that’s the strange thing”[/color] says the young woman. [color=#FF0040]“Nobody’s seen anything, but something is going on. The furniture moving, windows open… I think it’s one of these idiots playing tricks!”[/color] She laughs, regarding the other servants around her, some of whom laugh too. Just then [b]Mrs. Beddowes[/b] returns, and the room falls silent. She glares around the room, obviously suspicious of something. At this point, some of servants begin to start clearing away their dishes.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:28 pm
by aine
Isolde looks up at some of the paintings of ancestors half shadowed by the flickering gloom, "it would be interesting to know more about them; should we ask Mrs Beddows for a tour tomorrow?"

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"It would be my pleasure, and I'm sure I'll have some time, at least after my duties are complete," says Alexander. "I can give you a sample now, while we sup. That's the beauty of science, it's all around us." He looks at the silverware. "Take your spoon, for instance. It's nicely polished, and you can see your face in it. Hold it up so the back the spoon is in front of your face, and you'll see it reflected on the spoon. Then turn the spoon around and look at the front. Your face is reflected again, but now it's upside-down. Because it's curved inward, or concave, the light bends around the surface so that the image is flipped."

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:39 am
by HoneyDog
Howard has been instructed to show you the house and grounds tomorrow morning” Lady Amanda tells Isolde. “As I said, you are to have full access. You might find information about family history in the library. Perhaps you can discover whether the haunting has a focal point?”

Ursula looks entranced at Alexander’s demonstration, and smiles broadly.

The servants begin to clear away the dishes. Brandy is offered.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:42 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam took brandy when offered. The meal was pleasant but the atmosphere stilted. He understood that Lady Allingham grieved for her husband but it did not make for a convivial evening.

His leg bothered him and he wondered if there would be an opportunity for a quick stroll in the garden before bed to stretch it out.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:49 am
by Rooter
Percy stifles a yawn. "My bed will be a welcome sight after all that traveling," he declares. He goes to the window and looks out to see if any snow has started to fall. "Let's hope the winter weather doesn't get any worse. I imagine it gets quite isolated up here, your ladyship. Are there any other neighbors apart from the village?"

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:54 pm
by HoneyDog
The night looks cold and the garden is frozen with frost, but it seems the snow hasn't started yet.

Lady Amanda stiffens in her seat. “The village... is the largest habitation in the vicinity. There are a few farms dotted around, but most of the workers” she almost spits the word… “reside in Bargrove.”

Josephine and Ursula stand. Ursula goes to her mother and kisses her cheek, and Amanda visibly relaxes. The two exchange a loving embrace and wish each other goodnight, and Josephine announces to the company their intention to retire for the evening.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:41 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam stood politely as Ursula and Mme. Ducray retired. Once the door closed behind them and he had heard their footsteps fade beyond, he said, ”I understand that this is very difficult for you to talk about, Lady Allingham, but I am afraid that we must ask questions of you that you may find awkward or uncomfortable, if we are to solve this mystery.”

“If you wish to talk now, that is all well and good, but if you would prefer to wait until the morning then we will understand. You may, after all, feel better if you have been able to rest.”

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda looks directly at Fitzwilliam. “You may ask your questions Captain. I will do my best to answer them.”

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:16 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam sat back down at the table and took a moment to compose his thoughts.

”Can we start with your relationship with the locals, and perhaps more pertinently, your late husband’s?” he said, looking directly at Lady Allingham.

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander accepts the brandy with gratitude, though he prefers whiskey. "Your Ladyship," he asks, "do the villagers have a leader? Is there anyone among them you particularly suspect?"

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:33 pm
by aine
Now that Ursula has gone to bed, Isolde feels she can broach the less mundane side of the mystery, "Lady Allingham, when the disturbances occur, are they restricted to certain parts of the building and to certain times of the day? Sometimes the deceased try to communicate an idea to us by the way they react to this plane."

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[b]Melody[/b] helps to clean away the dishes. If possible she stays close to the young servant who was talking to her, and she doesn't carry on talking while [b]Mrs Beddowes[/b] is there unless someone else speaks first. She will carry on talking if the housekeeper leaves though. [spoiler]She'll whisper to the young lady,[color=#FF0040] "That [b]Mrs Beddowes[/b] seems quite stern..."[/color][/spoiler]
OOC:   Sorry I meant to post much earlier today, but my children have all come down with a stomach bug at the same time. :eek:  

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:19 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Not to worry Raiko. I hope the children are okay.  
Lady Amanda looks flustered at the barrage of questions.

"One at a time, please!" she snaps.
Melody,The servant drops her voice. [color=#FF0040]"Don't let that rosy-cheeked look fool you. She's hard as nails. She's rule us with an iron fist if she had her way."[/color]

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"My apologies, milady," says Alexander, stepping back. "Captain, you asked first."

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:37 am
by Philulhu
”We meant no offence, Lady Allingham,” said Captain FitzWilliam, gently. ”We are just keen to help you solve this mystery and bring your husband’s killer to justice.”

”As Dr. Campbell said, if we may start with my question about your family’s relationship with the village and then move on to my colleague’s?”

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:22 pm
by aine
ooc,I didn't mean to barrage - it was more of a question from Isolde to be answered at some point in the conversation - the limitations of PBP![/ooc]
Isolde listens with interest.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:01 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Be warned, I will play Lady Amanda to the nth degree :twisted:. But in all sympathy, she's had a tough time lately. She will be difficult and unreasonable at times.
Lady Amanda is very tense, and sits up straight in her seat. "I'm sure that my husband's murderer is in that village. They hate us! They hated William! They’re so wedded to their primitive, traditional ways! William tried to modernize them, and bring them prosperity. But they rejected him! Damn them!”

By the end of this speech, she is almost shrieking. Howard looks on with concern, hovering in the background.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:22 pm
by Philulhu
”ln what way did your husband attempt to ‘modernise’ the village?” replied Captain FitzWilliam calmly. ”And what are the ‘primitive ways’ of which you speak?”

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:38 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,My intention with my question had been the same. Play by post is slow enough, and I didn't want to slow it down further by delaying posting my question.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:55 pm
by HoneyDog
William tried to introduce new farming methods. He wouldn’t tolerate slackness and wanted to maximize efficiency. Of course those lazy fools resisted him; they want to just keep on trying to produce the bare minimum. He had to hire men from outside the district to work.” She squirms in her seat.

“I don’t want to discuss that place anymore!” she says, more quietly now. “If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to retire for the evening. I will see you at breakfast tomorrow. Howard will see to your needs. Goodnight.”

With that, she leaves the room.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:17 pm
by Rooter
"Her ladyship is clearly under a great deal of strain at this emotional time," opines Percy, the voice of diplomacy. "I think I'll turn in for the night as well. I look forward to our tour tomorrow, Howard. Goodnight, one and all." So saying, he heads to his room to make some notes before retiring.
Spoiler:
On his way upstairs he pauses surreptitiously at each door and listens in case he should overhear any gossip.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:02 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam sighed and sat back in his seat. It was going to be a long process trying to get to the bottom of things at this rate.

He looked at the butler, trying to size the man up. ”Without betraying any confidences, Howard, are you able to shed more light on recent events?”

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:18 pm
by aine
"I think I shall retire too; goodnight everyone, it seems we have a lot of avenues to pursue tomorrow. Howard, I can find my own way to my room." Isolde rises and leaves the room but does not go straight to her bedroom. Instead she meanders slowly, pausing often. 'To gain a sense of the house,' she says to herself. She pauses on a dark landing and closes her eyes, listening and feeling with her medium's intuition.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good evening," says Alexander, resigned to his questions never being answered. "I shall turn in for the night too. On the morrow I intend to see what I can find about the family's history in the library."

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:00 pm
by HoneyDog
“I’m sorry sir, but I would prefer it if you about events from Lady Amanda Howard tells Fitzwilliam. “I concur that unexplained events have occurred lately in the house. Perhaps a tour of the house, including the library, will help to answer some of your questions. Of course, we can provide an escort to the village should you want to talk to people there.”

He turns to Alexander. “There are several personalities in the village who might help with your enquiries. My Lady does not like to travel there.” He hesitates for a moment. “Recent events have been most trying for her. I beg your indulgence”.

He bids goodnight, after telling the companions that breakfast will be served at 9. Another servant directs everyone to their rooms. There is no-one else staying in their section of the house, and the corridors and rooms are quiet. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. The companions retire to their rooms, tired after the long day.

Melody too goes to bed. Night settles over the mansion, and the temperature drops. To those with a sensitivity to changes in the weather, it feels like they may be on the verge of some very cold days and nights.
OOC,Roll Listen; if you succeed, you awaken.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:17 pm
by Raiko
ooc,Melody: Listen(75%): [dice]0[/dice] I'm feeling much better today so I won't hold anything up. [ooc]Is there any chance that I could have the name of the young servant who was talking to Melody? Is she in the same room?[/ooc]
Melody wakes up, unsure for the moment why.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:28 pm
by Rooter
Listen 55%,[dice]0[/dice]
Percy comes awake suddenly in the middle of the night and sits up, listening.

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 pm
by aine
Isolde sleeps soundly all night.
listen,Roll:85%

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:14 pm
by Philulhu
Listen 25,[dice]0[/dice]
Always a heavy sleeper, Captain FitzWilliam slept soundly, undisturbed by any noises from elsewhere in the house.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander almost hears something, but he just incorporates it into his dream and continues snoozing.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) to awaken: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:02 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Percy & Melody, please keep your posts obscured from the other players - they are unconscious as to what is happening.  
Percy & Melody,[b]Percy[/b] is sleeping in a room near the main corridor. His sensitive ears have heard something like a scraping sound, coming from the corridor outside his room. [b]Melody[/b], always alert even when sleeping, also hears the same sound, coming from the landing below the servants’ rooms.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:17 pm
by Rooter
Percy,Sensing some no-doubt newsworthy clandestine activity underfoot, [b]Percy[/b] springs from bed, tiptoes over to the door and opens it a crack to peer out into the corridor.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Percy,In the darkness, [b]Percy[/b] can make out a shadow moving in the corridor in front of him.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 pm
by Rooter
Percy,Abruptly recalling [b]Lady Allingham's[/b] talk of strange disturbances, [b]Percy[/b] steels himself then flings the door wide and steps out into the corridor.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:31 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[img]https://i.imgur.com/XwaPhRf.jpg[/img] Climbing as quietly as possible from her bed, Melody looks who is still in bed and whether anyone is missing - after all it's likely to just be a servant downstairs. Then she moves quietly down the stairs to take a look. [u][b]Dice Rolls:[/b][/u][spoiler]Sneak (75%),Melody Sneak(75%):[dice]0[/dice] Melody Hide(50%), in case it's needed:[dice]1[/dice][/spoiler] [ooc]If these is enough moon/star/candle/gas light available to see by, then Melody will use that. Otherwise she lights a candle on her little candle handler and tries to mask most of the light in front of her with her hand. You can't nest spoiler-buttons, so dice rolls are in a normal spoiler.[/ooc]

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:00 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody,Melody can see the silhouette of a small figure entering a door as she comes down the stairs. In front of her, she can see light as another larger person exits a room in front of her.
Percy,Percy sees the figure go through a door. There is also someone coming down the stairs from the attic.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:08 pm
by Raiko
Melody - OOC,[ooc]And nobody is missing from the servants' bedroom? Also, does Melody know which room the larger person is exiting?[/ooc]

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:18 pm
by Rooter
Percy,[b]Percy[/b] looks up to see who is coming down the stairs.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:55 am
by HoneyDog
Melody,[ooc]No to both. Melody can roll Luck[/ooc]
Percy,[ooc]Percy can roll Luck.[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:56 am
by Rooter
Percy,[ooc]Luck 70%[dice]0[/dice][/ooc]

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 am
by Raiko
Melody,Luck(75%):[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody & Percy,[b]Percy [/b]and [b]Melody[/b] are both relieved at recognizing each other. But ahead of them, another person has gone through the door previously entered by the smaller figure.

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:18 pm
by Rooter
Percy and Melody,[color=#0000FF]"Ah, it's what's-her-name, the serving girl, isn't it?" [/color][b]Percy[/b] whispers. [color=#4000FF]"Why don't we find out who's sneaking through that door over there? You go ahead and take a peek. I'll be right behind you to keep me, I mean you, safe."[/color]

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:26 pm
by Raiko
Melody & Percy,[color=#FF0040]"Okay [b]Mr. Stringer[/b],"[/color] whispers [b]Melody[/b], and she tiptoes towards the door. Sneak(75%):[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody,As [b]Melody[/b] enters, she is able to see by the light of the moon shining through the large windows. The space is evidently used as a schoolroom judging by the low desks facing a large blackboard on an easel against the far wall. A large globe rests on a table near it. On the other side of the room is a glass-fronted cabinet containing books. Before her stand the two figures, one an adult, and the other a child; female, judging by the hair. The child is motionless, staring out of the window, while the adult, a woman, shifts restlessly behind her. Both are dressed in nightgowns.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:41 pm
by Raiko
Melody and Percy,[b]Melody[/b] waves from the moonlit doorway for [b]Percy[/b] to come closer, then says quietly. [color=#FF0040]"Is everything okay?"[/color] She speaks quietly, so as not to wake the child if she is sleepwalking as she suspects - one of older brothers used to sleep walk - and also to try not to startle the lady too much. (OOC: Hmm, sneaks up on someone, says hello, but didn't want to startle them... :roll:)

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:50 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody & Percy,The woman swiftly turns round. It is Josephine [b]DuCray[/b]. Raising her finger to her lips, she moves to the companions. [color=#800040]“My apologies”[/color] she says in a whisper. [color=#800040]“We must have awoken you.”[/color] She looks back at the child, who is still staring out of the window.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:52 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[b]Melody[/b] glances out of the window, in case anything is visible in the moonlight.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:15 pm
by Rooter
Percy and Melody,[color=#0000FF]"Er, a little late-night studying, is it, madame?"[/color] [b]Percy[/b] inquires, also keeping his voice low.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:31 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody,Out of the window, the moon reflects from the frozen moors, stretching into the distance. In the foreground lays a small graveyard.
Percy & Melody,[color=#BF0080][b]”Miss Ursula[/b] has taken to walking in her sleep recently “[/color] says [b]Josephine[/b]. Her voice sounds concerned. [color=#BF0080]”She does it every night“.[/color]

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 am
by Rooter
Percy and Melody,[color=#0000FF]"I see,"[/color] [b]Percy[/b] replies thoughtfully. [color=#0000FF]"I wonder if [b]Ursula[/b] could be unconsciously responsible for the disturbances which her mother attributes to a spirit? Well, the poor thing has had a rough time of it lately. Have you noticed any other odd behavior?"[/color]

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:30 pm
by HoneyDog
Percy & Melody,[b]Josephine [/b]shakes her head. [color=#BF0080]"No. She only comes to the schoolroom. Always the same, she just looks out of the window.”[/color] At that moment, [b]Ursula[/b] turns round and begins walking towards the door. Her eyes are blank and sightless. She heads out of the room and goes into her bedroom nearby, where she gets back into bed. [b]Josephine[/b] visibly relaxes. [color=#BF0080]“She should sleep until morning now. Please, don’t concern yourselves any longer. I will see you at breakfast.”[/color] She turns back to her room.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:37 pm
by Raiko
Melody and Percy,[color=#FF0040]"She comes to stare at the graveyard [b]Mr Stringer[/b], poor girl," [/color][b]Melody[/b] keeps looking out at the graveyard for a minute or two. If nothing else happens while she watches, [b]Melody[/b] will bid [b]Percy[/b] a good night and return to bed. [ooc]I'd been writing a post to ask if she always looked out of this window, and HoneyDog answered without me asking. :)[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm
by Rooter
Percy and Melody,[color=#0000FF]"Ah,"[/color] [b]Percy[/b] replies somberly. [color=#0000FF]"Well, goodnight."[/color] He, too, heads back to bed.