Chapter 2: The Assignment

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Chapter 2: The Assignment

Post by Rooter »

Percy nods. "If there is indeed a spirit in residence then I have no doubt that our own medium here, the infamous Miss Beauchant no less, will soon give it a good talking to." He leans forward. "Just between us, though, and without wishing to offend your client, would you say that the Lady Allingham is in your opinion altogether of sound mind at present? Grief affects people in different ways."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Shearer straightens up in his seat and fixes Percy with a steady gaze.

Lady Allingham has undergone a terrible trauma to be robbed of her husband in such a way. I believe that this is an attempt on her part to make sense of the matter. Now, the reason that your society was approached is because of the good social standing of your members. Personally, I do not have much time for matters pertaining to the supernatural, as it seems to attract an inordinate number of charlatans. But we believe that your society will act in good faith. However, having said that, if we find any attempt to defraud our client, I can guarantee that you will be spending the next ten years in court resolving the litigation we will be bringing against you. I hope that makes our position clear.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

"Fear, Mr Shearer," says Isolde fixing him with a condescending stare, "Fear and ignorance manifest in many ways. We understand you perfectly; there is no need to be boorish with us. May I ask how long you have been the Allington's solicitor?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Shearer struck Captain FitzWilliam as unnecessarily pompous; not an uncommon situation with lawyers he had met in the past.

”As you said, our members are of good social standing, so there is no need for your threats of legal action,” he said. ”If, and I repeat, if, we decide to help Lady Allington, then what are your terms?”
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Doubting that Shearer would care about the opinions of a housekeeper Melody stays quiet for the time being, smiling sweetly as she accepts the drink that is offered.

She suspects that few of her standing have ever been served refreshments by this gentleman, "Thank you sir."

If Lord Bargrove was despised by his tenants, then it was unlikely that he'd been well loved by his own staff either. Melody determined to enquire among the staff when they arrived in Devon. Servants like to gossip, especially about unpopular masters, surely both mundane enemies and supernatural curses would be the subject of household gossip.

The dashing Captain FitzWilliam's assertive tone snapped Melody's thoughts back to the present, as he put the pompous lawyer in his place.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander nods. While he doesn't believe in the existence of ghosts, he is sure that solving the murder and bringing the murderer to justice would convince Lady Allingham that her husband's spirit can rest now. They don't need to break the curse, as there are no more male members of the family line who could fall victim to it in future.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,[quote="Raiko"]The dashing [b]Captain FitzWilliam's[/b] assertive tone snapped [b]Melody's [/b]thoughts back to the present, as he put the pompous lawyer in his place.[/quote] [i]’Hmmm, I am dashing, aren’t I?’ thought Captain FitzWilliam, catching sight of himself in a nearby mirror. He carefully brushed a stray hair back into place in his moustache and raised a eyebrow. ‘Hello, soldier!’ he thought, with a twinkle in his eye...[/i]
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

OOC,:mrgreen: Yes Melody has already picked who she's planning to hide behind!
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,So has Captain FitzWilliam - if the bullets start flying, he’s hiding behind Stringer! Who needs journalists, anyway?! ;)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Shearer taps the ash from his cigar, seemingly unruffled by the hostility he has generated.

“My intention is not to be boorish. I merely seek to make it clear that we care deeply about our client’s interests and reputation, and will not stand to see it suffer. Very good!” he says suddenly, producing a piece of paper from a file.

“As to the terms, firstly, I must insist that you at least condescend to referring to Lady Amanda as Allingham, not Allington. If you cannot at least remember the family name correctly, your investigations are unlikely to yield very much. Now, you will each be paid the sum of 10 pounds per week for your services, and rooms have been arranged for you at Bargrove Hall, along with train tickets to the nearest station at Princetown. You will leave first thing tomorrow. Are these terms acceptable? If so, I have contracts drawn up for you.”

He leans back, awaiting an answer.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam coloured slightly at the rebuke, for it had been he who had misremembered Lady Allingham’s name.

He considered the offered fee and mentally cross-referenced it against his outstanding accounts at his tailors and at his club, and nodded his agreement. ”I can be ready tomorrow morning,” he said.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"As can I," Percy adds. "I know the good captain for one would be at a loss without me. However, Mr. Shearer, you have still not answered Miss Beauchant's question. Have you represented the family for many years? If so then you will be aware that there is more than this supposed haunting at play, that there have been a number of other, shall we say, suspicious deaths in the family. Our group has already done some research. What can you tell us of this tragic history, sir?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I shall be ready as well," says Alexander, waiting to hear the answer to Percy's question.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"The Seekrs of Enlightenment are prepared to accept the contract. We will try to determine the reason for the death and who, or what, caused it. Do you have an end time in mind? And yes, we would like your knowledge on the family history please; the pertinent parts at least." Says Isolde
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I take it you’re referring to the so-called ‘family curse’” replies Shearer. “I am aware of that legend, and of the deaths of Sir William’s older brothers. No foul play was suspected in either case, it must be said. I’m also aware that there is a tendency for early deaths amongst the males of that family, but be aware that they have always been active people, and death in the form of accident can sometimes come early to those who live a large part of their lives outdoors, and while medicine continues to advance, illness still takes its toll. In short, as we have no proof of the supernatural” he glances at Isolde as he says this, “we can only surmise it to be an unfortunate coincidence. As for the story behind the curse, I don’t know how it originated. Perhaps your investigations might get to the bottom of these matters, hm?”

He looks around at the companions. “If you have no further questions, I wish you luck. Please contact me if we can be of assistance, and I look forward to hearing the results of your endeavours. Mr. Jones will provide you with the contracts and tickets.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam shook his head silently. He was already mentally planning what he needed to pack to take with him.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Yes well." Isolde looks hard at Mr Shearer trying to decide if he is hiding anything. 'Thank you Mr Shearer, we will contact you, 'In due course' as you lawyers like to say. "We will see Mr. James on our way out." She looks around for acquiescence.
Psychology,(45%) roll: 49
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"She means Mr. Jones, of course," Percy says with a smile. "Good heavens, my dear Isolde, you really mustn't tease the man. I think I can see a vein throbbing in his forehead."
OOC,Psychology 45%[dice]0[/dice]
"Anyhow, yes, let us proceed."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Percy,Shearer is obviously skeptical regarding the supernatural. He does appear though to be genuinely concerned for the reputation of his client.
OOC,You can finish here now if you like. The time is about 3pm. Your train is due to leave at 8am tomorrow. Is there anything you want to do, or shall we begin our journey to Dartmoor?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Happy to move on to Dartmoor. The information we want about the curse (if there is one), is most likely to come from the family archives, anyway. [b]Captain FitzWilliam’s[/b] heading home to pack his elephant gun... ;)

Return to “The Burnt Man”