Chapter 2: The Assignment

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: Chapter 2: The Assignment

Post by Raiko »

"I do have one small question Mr. Shearer, if I might be so bold?" says Melody, "Has there ever, been a female heir before Ursula? And did they live beyond forty?"
OOC,Happy to move straight onto Dartmoor, regardless of how Shearer answers.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

”I believe there has been at some point in time, but not in recent history. My knowledge of the subject is not complete. The curse though is stated to only affect the males of the family, however, so I don’t know what difference it makes.”
OOC,I can start the new thread tonight.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Go for it! :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I did want to do some research today about what might have been happening in Dartmoor around 1640, but other than that, I'm ready.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I'll give a hint - aine had a better idea for an area of research when Isolde was originally going to visit the British Library. I wonder if anyone can find it? Try to think about the category of what you're looking for (if that's the correct way to phrase it).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Do you mean finding a local historian?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,No, back when everybody went to The Times.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,[i]”Isolde goes instead to the British Library to read up on supernatural occurrences on Dartmoor and historical occurrences at the Allingtons' residency.”[/i] We could check up on supernatural occurrences on Dartmoor? Is there a bookshop nearby where we might pick up something to read on the train? Will we find information about the Allingham residence in London?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Think specifically about curses. Roll Luck - one of you (not Melody) is a member of the London Library in St. James Square (makes sense considering your occupations) and we can go there. There is no Allingham residence in London.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,I’ll defer the luck roll to anyone else but FitzWilliam (who has the lowest luck out of all of us). Honeydog: [i]“Will we find information about the Allingham residence in London?”[/i] - I wasn't suggesting that the Allingham‘s had a residence in London; I was suggesting that we might find it difficult to find out about their residence if we asking are questions in London, rather than in Dartmoor... ;) It’s too early for the land registry [url]http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20101213175739/http:/www.landreg.gov.uk/assets/library/documents/bhist-lr.pdf[/url] but there might be county records if the property changed hands.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde stands with the others on the pavement outside the solicitors'. "Well, Mr Shearer was a bundle of fun. I have a mind to go back in and call up a ghost especially for him. There must be a few lurking in this old building." She sighs,
"You know, if you think about it, the Allingham curse has existed for 250 years. There must be something about it somewhere. I'd have thought a place like Dartmoor, with all the mist and remoteness must have a strong pull for supernatural forces. And plenty of stories. I'd still like to research supernatural history of Dartmoor here in London but I don't know where. One of the big libraires I suppose."
luck,roll:80 fail
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

LUCK 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
"Good idea. How about the London Library in St. James Square? I think I have my membership card here somewhere..." Percy searches through his pockets. "Ah, here it is! I didn't get the impression the lawyer was trying to hide anything, by the by, just that he was very concerned about his client's reputation which is perhaps understandable."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions take a cab to the London Library in St. James’ Square. Percy’s membership gains them entry to the reception desk, where they are greeted by a friendly librarian, who asks them what they need.
OOC,I can't find any old photos of the London Library unfortunately. It looks like a great place, I'd never heard of it before. Roll Library Use to find something. The librarian will help you, but he'll need specifics. Forget looking at Dartmoor and narrow your focus.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Good afternoon,” says Captain FitzWilliam to the librarian. He looked around to see if anyone was nearby and, satisfied that no-one was close enough to eavesdrop, said quietly, ”We are looking for information about folk tales and supernatural happenings in Dartmoor. Do you have such tomes in your fine library?”
Library Use,[dice]0[/dice] [i]Just missed it! (25)[/i]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry Phil, I didn’t address your thoughts. There won’t be any records about the property in London . Don’t ask about Dartmoor! Have a look at what I wrote earlier.
The Librarian thinks for a moment.

”I don’t believe we have anything like that” he replies.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How about the family history of the Allinghams, particularly around 1640?" suggests Alexander. He is at home in the library, and the skilled researcher soon finds anything there is to find on the subject.
OOC,Library Use roll (60% skill) researching the [b]Allingham[/b] family history around 1640: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The librarian checks his files. After some time he comes back."I can't see any books pertaining to that family" he says. "Is there any event in particular you're enquiring about?"
OOC,There are no books on the Allinghams, not here anyway. But you can still use the Roll, if you can think about what it is in particular you're interested in about the Allinghams.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,[i]Looking back through comments, should we be looking into curses?[/i]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,8-)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Also,” continued Captain FitzWilliam, as if the thought had just miraculously occurred to him, ”If you have any information about curses and how they have been used, then that would also be most useful...”
OOC,We got there at last! :)

Return to “The Burnt Man”