Chapter 1: The Society Meets

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Prologue: The Society Meets

Post by aine »

Still listening, Isolde turns to face the fire and watches the flames intently. Dark shadows flicker around her perfectly still outline.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

FitzWilliam,You read in the paper that Allingham, Lord Bargrove, was murdered, and his body burned. There is local gossip about a curse, but no definitive suspects.
Melody,Melody read that Aliingham, Lord Bargrove, was murdered and his burnt body found on his estate on Dartmoor.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Allington - Lord Bargrove - was murdered,” continued Captain FitzWilliam. ”If I remember correctly, his body had been burnt.

He paused for a moment and thought some more. ”There was also talk of a curse, but I would struggle to give that any credence. I mean, the Zulu Inyanga would prance around and put the wind up some of our lads out in Africa, but in England? I thought we had left witchcraft behind in the dark ages!”
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody thinking:   [i]Witches?[/i]  
Melody catches her breath and listens intently, she hasn't heard that, just that Lord Bargrove had been murdered mysteriously, his burnt body being discovered on the estate on Dartmoor.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

"Oho!" Percy exclaims. "This certainly sounds worth investigating. Say what you will, Miss Beauchant, but I have a feeling it will take more than a palm reading to solve Lady Allingham's problems."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Mr Stringer - you would have access to a journalistic archive, would you not?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”We should perhaps make some enquiries of our own, before we meet with these legal chaps. Fore-warned is fore-armed, after all!”

FitzWilliam rubbed his hands together briskly. His enforced lay-off had been somewhat chafing but this sounded like an adventure!
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde draws a short, sharp intake of breath and falls to her knees so she can look closer at the flames, "Burning, burning, burning; agony! And death!" She whispers and then falls silent. After a moment she stands and turns to face the room. "We must go to Dartmoor. Do what you need to but please be discreet! We shall meet outside the office in King's Road at two o"clock." She moves away from the fire and goes to sit down in a chair.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam raised a questioning eyebrow at Isolde’s sudden outburst. He looked around at the other members of the society, waiting for someone to speak.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Solving a murder sounds quite interesting," says Alexander. "Applying the scientific method to the problem should prove to be of aid, I would think. Where there is a murder, there is a murderer, and we shall find the culprit. The good captain is right, of course. We should do background research on the case first."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Would you like to do an archival search now then? If so, where would you like to go?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, and [b]Percy[/b]'s newspaper archive sounds good to me.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Percy will be able to get access to the archives of The Times. I will transfer the action to there. All searches will require a successful Library Use roll. Please state what you want to search for.
the-times-office-printing-house-square-london-england-in-the-19th-G3T1WN.jpg
With their curiousities aroused, the Society makes its way across London to the City and Printing House Square, home of The Times of London. Percy’s journalistic connections makes accessing back issues a breeze, if the members know what to look for.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander searches for articles about the murder of Lord Allingham. He is sure they must exist, for it was a newsworthy event, but so far he cannot find any.
OOC,Library Use roll (60% skill) searching the archives: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

OOC,Library Use 55%[dice]0[/dice]
Percy, meanwhile, has better luck in digging out whatever he can find about Lord and Lady Allingham's past.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Library Use [dice]0[/dice] Edit: [b]FitzWilliam[/b] will look for general information about Lord Allingham, business interests and the like.
Despite little experience with libraries outside of his father’s somewhat meagre library back on the family estate, Captain FitzWilliam found navigating this one more straightforward than expected. With a little help from one of the assistants, he was soon back with more information about Lord Allingham.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC,Library Use (25%): [dice]0[/dice]

Although she feels more than slightly out of her depth, Melody does her best to assist Alexander

Once it becomes clear that she's just getting in the way, she goes in search of a kettle, and returns with a tray of steaming tea cups for the others.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

ooc,Is this the next morning that we are doing the research?
library,(75%) roll:44
Isolde goes instead to the British Library to read up on supernatural occurrences on Dartmoor and historical occurrences at the Allingtons' residency.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Yes, it's the same day. When your searches are over, it will be about 5pm. aine, you won't really have enough information to complete a successful search of the British Library with just the names Allingham and Dartmoor. You can try other sources later after you finish at The Times which would be better as you'll have more details, and hopefully more ideas. Can I count your roll towards a success at The Times? It will allow you all to find another article. You can all go to the Library in the morning before the meeting with Shearer. Is that okay?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Raiko wrote:Once it becomes clear that she's just getting in the way, she goes in search of a kettle, and returns with a tray of steaming tea cups for the others.
”Ah, Miss Melody,” said Captain FitzWilliam, as he helped himself to a cup of tea. ”That’s just what we need. Keeps the Empire going!”

He sipped the tea and smiled. ”You know, a learned fellow I once knew would refer to tea as a cup of brown joy. An odd chap - a professor, I think. I wonder what became of him...”
OOC,Apologies - a slight digression ;)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Re: Chapter 1: The Society Meets

Post by Raiko »

With a smile Melody says, "Oh you know me Captain, always bringing brown joy to the Doctor and his friends."
OOC,[ooc]Obviously in the straight laced Victorian era, that couldn't [i]possibly[/i] be innuendo. ;)[/ooc]

Return to “The Burnt Man”