Chapter 1: The Society Meets

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 1: The Society Meets

Post by HoneyDog »

Monday December 13th 1880, 2pm

Fleming's Tavern, Half Moon Street, Mayfair

Flemings.jpg
The members of The Seekers of Enlightenment, a society given to the exploration and discussion of the supernatural, have received an urgent telegram from their provisional leader Miss Isolde Beauchant, to meet at Fleming’s Tavern. The telegram appears to convey that the matter is very urgent and should be acted upon immediately. All those who are willing and able to spare the time make their way to Mayfair accordingly.

Braving the cold of the city streets, they can find a warm and welcoming atmosphere in the upper rooms of Fleming’s, in which a private room has been reserved for the occasion. Food and drinks are provided, and the members begin to relax, curious about the summons which has brought them together. The atmosphere is full of anticipation and speculation.

The members who have managed to make the occasion are recorded in the Society’s minutes as the following:

Miss Isolde Beauchant, acting head
Mr. Percy Stringer
Dr. Alexander Campbell
Miss Melody Flores
Cpt. Aubrey Fitzwilliam

Once the guests are settled, the meeting begins…
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Re: Prologue: The Society Meets

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam stood by the fire and warmed his hands. The summons was unexpected but not unwelcome. He only had an afternoon of whist with his great-aunt and her widowed friends to look forward to, so he was pleased to be able to make his excuses and leave the house.

He wondered what the urgency of the summons foretold as he waited for Isolde to speak.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Percy takes a pinch of snuff and smiles at their host. "Well, Miss Beauchant, I do hope you haven't brought us here to watch you pull some ectoplasm out of your nose, or other such medium's tricks. Really, all that table-knocking is quite old hat to the newspaper-reading public in this enlightened age. Give us realism. Give us outrage. Give us scandal."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”On the lookout for a story, are you, Mr Stringer?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”Something for the masses to get into a lather about, I’ll be bound!”

FitzWilliam was no great believer but he felt that at least he approached the subject with an open mind, unlike some of the public, who seemed all too willing to let themselves be carried along in mass hysteria.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I hope it's something tangible," says Dr. Alexander Campbell between bites of his steak. "I like a mystery I can get my hands on."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Raiko »

Melody does her best to lurk anonymously in the background, as befits her station, ready to assist the doctor or his friends. She is excited to see and hear the topic of today's meeting.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Isolde Beauchant has been sitting at a small table, reading a letter and half listening to the conversation around her. She finishes the letter and looks at the gathering. She'd been warned about some of the new members; that they were skeptics there was no doubt. She wondered why they were here and wished there were more of the likes of Oscar 'White-eyes' Pent-whistle and Madame Bligh. She sighs and then stands up, walking to stand, back lit by the fire.

"Welcome and thank you for coming to this impromptu meeting tonight. Dr McTavers sends his apologies; we hope he will recover soon from his affliction. We have invited you tonight because we are hoping to gather a group willing to travel to Devon within the next day or two." Isolde smiles around the group,

"I'm afraid I have no information for you yet but this letter is from an eminent barrister in Knightsbridge and his client is respectable."
She stops to gather people's reactions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, Devon," says Alexander with a wistful expression. "It will be good to get out and about." He smiles at Melody. "You're always saying I should get out of the lab more often. This will be a good opportunity."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"Yes Doctor Campbell," Melody smiles, "I've been told that Devon is a beautiful place to visit."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam drew his diary from the inside pocket of his jacket and flicked through the pages. ”I don’t have anything on that I can’t rearrange,” he said, ”But Devon is a trek, particularly at this time of year. It can be decidedly inhospitable!”

He pointed to the letter that Isolde held in her hand. ”Is there nothing more in the letter, Miss Beauchant? I think I should like to know what I am letting myself in for before I commit.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Percy nods, intrigued. "A mysterious summons, indeed. Why would a barrister have professional need of a society such as ours? As the good captain says, there may be a story here. Perhaps even a scandal. I believe I could make the trip."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Isolde frowns, "I'm sure Morcombe Shearer, the barrister, has good reason to need our services. I myself have helped many leading families and pillars of our society with that concerning the supernatural. I expect this case to be no different. Mr Shearer particularly expresses the need for upmost discretion and complete secrecy so I doubt there will be any opportunity for a popular story." She casts a disapproving look at Percy.

"His client is Lady Amanda Allingham. I think it was Lord Allingham who was murdered not so long ago. But I'm sure Morcombe Shearer will give us all the details tomorrow; we are meeting at the offices of Spencer, Hartley and Whigg on King's Road tomorrow at two o'clock. I'm sure we will all endeavour to uphold the principles of The Seekers of Enlightenment. And no, it won't be such a pleasant journey to Devon at this time of year."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Well, hearing out the solicitor won’t do any harm, I suppose,” said Captain FitzWilliam. He referred to his diary once again. ”l’m free to attend so I will be there.”

He glanced across at Percy. ”You’re in the trade, Mr Stringer. Do you recall anything of the death of Lord Allington?”
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Melody listened with interest, she was a little disappointed that Doctor Campbell's friends all thought that Devon would be dreadful in the Winter; the only person who she knew who had actually been to Devon was her friend Joan, who worked for Miss Farrington and had visited the new pier at Paignton in the summer. Surely the seaside would still be pleasant, even in December? Anyway her mother said that winters were much tougher in Scotland.

Still this summons sounded very exciting and Miss Isolde was very mysterious.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander has lived most of his life in Scotland, including more than a few winters. "I'm not too worried about the weather in Devon," he says. "I'm sure I've been through worse. We'll just have to dress warm, is all. Whether there is anything supernatural involved is another question, but we'll get to the truth of the matter."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Everyone apart from Isolde can roll Know regarding anything they might have heard about the name Allingham. The better the result, the more you will remember.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander has never heard of Allingham.
OOC,Know roll (90% stat) about [b]Allingham[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Know roll (85%) [dice]0[/dice]
”Wait a minute!” said Captain FitzWilliam, with a sharp click of his fingers. ”I think I have heard of Allingham...”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC,Know 65%[dice]0[/dice]
Percy turns attentively to the captain.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Know(70%) Roll,Know(70%) Roll: [dice]0[/dice]
Melody also listens intently to the Captain.
Melody thinking:   I wonder if [b]Captain FitzWilliam[/b] has heard the same things that I've been told about the Allinghams.  

Return to “The Burnt Man”