OOC Thread

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

OOC Thread

Post by HoneyDog »

Welcome to The Burnt Man. I hope we'll have an enjoyable time! Our players are:

Rooter
Philulhu
Mr. Handy
Raiko
aine

Just some rules on posting: please try to post everyday if you can, failing that as often as you're able, your busy schedules permitting. I should be able to post everyday unless I get too busy, which doesn't happen too often. If you don't post for a couple of days, I will probably post for you to keep it going, although I can't guarantee a good result.

A note about your characters: you can pick any occupations you like, but the characters will need to know each other. They don't have to be friends, but they must be acquainted. As they will be asked to consult on a suspected haunting, I suggest that they all belong to some group or society which has formed around a shared interest in the supernatural or ghosts. Spiritualism was becoming popular at that time, so you could be members of such a society. So your character might have a real or imagined experience with the supernatural, but no Mythos please.

The game will start as one of you has received a letter from a lawyer requesting a meeting and has gathered the others to discuss it. So you will have a preliminary meeting where your characters can chat and give a sense of their personalities, and then off to the lawyer. Remember that class is important in this era, so you're entitled to be a snob or a trod-upon dogsbody if it's warranted.

We'll start after you've done your characters.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: OOC Thread

Post by Rooter »

I'll just do my basic rolls here first.

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
[dice]7[/dice]
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

That's the maximum EDU and Know would be 100! I'm not sure I can play a genius so might have to reroll.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

A second set.

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
[dice]7[/dice]
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

That's a bit more realistic all round so I'll take those.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Is anyone planning to have an upper / middle class investigator who could be accompanied by a female housekeeper / maid as a valley / dogsbody / chaperone / mistress?

I have a half planned character idea that I'd like to play, but they would need to be a companion of a higher classed character.

If not then I'll go with an alternative idea. :)

I'll have my investigator sorted out tomorrow either way
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

I’m thinking of an army officer, cuurently on home leave recovering from wounds sustained on campaign (probably the Anglo-Zulu War to fit in with the timescale). A maiden aunt is interested in spiritualism and he has been coerced to join her at some spiritualist events (although a devout skeptic himself).

Dice rolls

Edit: messed up the dice rolls. Will have another look in the morning.

More to follow once I’ve thought about my character a bit more.

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
[dice]7[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

That first set of rolls was incredible, Rooter! I'd be hard pressed to turn them down. 21 EDU doesn't make you a genius, just extremely good at whatever it is you do (education need not be formal). INT determines your smarts, and it would have been 12 with those rolls. The second set wasn't bad either.

I was thinking of playing a Scientist, so probably not upper-class enough for Raiko, though it is still possible. I could use an assistant. She doesn't necessarily need to have scientific knowledge, though that's a plus. All I really need is "someone to pass me my test tubes and tell me how brilliant I am," as the Brigadier quoted Liz Shaw in the Doctor Who story Terror of the Autons. Of course, that depends on my own EDU roll (a 21 would have been very good for me). I'm also considering playing a servant, a Jeeves-like valet. Might be a good fit for the army officer, if he's willing.

STR, CON, POW, DEX, APP:
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]

EDU:
[dice]5[/dice]

INT, SIZ:
[dice]6[/dice]
[dice]7[/dice]
That set of rolls will do nicely for a Scientist!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Like Mr. Handy advised, you can keep the first set of rolls Rooter.

Yes, it seems the Dhole's House only has gaslight for 7th edition. But all the ideas for characters look good so far.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Thanks, on reflection I will keep the first set since I was thinking of an older, more experienced character.

Due to the character's age I have removed points from CON and DEX and added to EDU as the guidelines say.

Roll for lower to middle class income.

[dice]0[/dice]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Dice Rolls:

STR, CON, DEX, APP, POW:
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]

INT, SIZ:
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]

EDU:
[dice]7[/dice]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Mr. Handy wrote:I was thinking of playing a Scientist, so probably not upper-class enough for Raiko, though it is still possible. I could use an assistant. She doesn't necessarily need to have scientific knowledge, though that's a plus. All I really need is "someone to pass me my test tubes and tell me how brilliant I am," as the Brigadier quoted Liz Shaw in the Doctor Who story Terror of the Autons.
Given the image I was planning to use for my character, working for your professor seems perfect. And irresistible! :mrgreen:
p020hlcy.jpg
Perhaps a housekeeper, with enough science to grab a test tube? I mean, what sort of a professor bothers with his own housekeeping / shopping.

I forgot to dig out my old investigators companion books last night, so the rest will have to wait until I get home this evening.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

I'm thinking about a local knowledge buff- a Dartmoor resident who knows the moors. Either a daughter of a local land owner, possibly a teacher or governess who really believes in ghosts. Or an older eccentric gent historian/geologist. I'm on holiday until Monday and my dice are at home...
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Dice rolls are available on the forum. For example...

[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Sorry aine, but part of the story is finding out about local events, stories and personalities. It works best if the characters are all outsiders with little or no experience of the area. Is that okay?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Raiko wrote:
Mr. Handy wrote:I was thinking of playing a Scientist, so probably not upper-class enough for Raiko, though it is still possible. I could use an assistant. She doesn't necessarily need to have scientific knowledge, though that's a plus. All I really need is "someone to pass me my test tubes and tell me how brilliant I am," as the Brigadier quoted Liz Shaw in the Doctor Who story Terror of the Autons.
Given the image I was planning to use for my character, working for your professor seems perfect. And irresistible! :mrgreen:
p020hlcy.jpg
Perhaps a housekeeper, with enough science to grab a test tube? I mean, what sort of a professor bothers with his own housekeeping / shopping.

I forgot to dig out my old investigators companion books last night, so the rest will have to wait until I get home this evening.
Sounds good to me! :D

Income:
[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Income:

[dice]0[/dice]
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

I have put a new and hopefully better character in place of the old one, using my second set of rolls.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I like it Rooter! He should be more... durable. Good luck!
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

My investigator Melody, is pretty much done, just the last few lines of her background to write.
I've got to pop out though, so I'll finish when I get home.

Return to “The Burnt Man”