Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Post by aine »

"For instance," says Isolde "This is a very well run establishment, and I should know having resided at many similar. As housekeeper, you know most of what goes on above and below stairs; you are the authority on Bargorve Hall! And, as a woman, are much more perceptive than the men about the place. Now, who was it who found Lord Allingham's body? Was it servants from here or villagers?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

With the housekeeper evidently distracted, Percy opens the cellar door and takes a peek inside.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Mrs. Beddowes’ back stiffens. My Lady is the authority here, Madam” she says in reply to Isolde’s statement. “And I don’t concern myself in the business of my employers. In answer to your question, it was a party from Bargrove House who found His Lordship. He was overdue from his evening constitutional”. Her eyes drop momentarily and she looks pained. “I must say that was a very trying time for all of us.”

She turns back to FitzWilliam. “Yes, we have had a nocturnal visitor. Items moved from their place, some broken. No foodstuffs appear to have gone missing though. It has occurred several times since Sir William died. As to the cause, I only know that I is none of the staff. I am certain of that.” Her tone indicates that there will be no contradicting her.
Percy,There are some steps leading downwards. It is too dark to see anything, but there is a light switch on the wall.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Percy,[b]Percy[/b] flicks the switch, impressed that they have such modern conveniences installed.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Percy,The light illuminates a paved stone floor. Percy can see a limited view from his position of adjoining shelves filled with various varieties of foodstuffs.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”How do you know, Mrs Beddowes?” replied Captain FitzWilliam with quiet authority, looking the housekeeper straight in the eye. ”How can you be so absolutely sure that no members of your staff have come down here in the middle of the night and rearranged things in your kitchen? Do you stand guard and make sure they cannot leave their rooms or do you sit down here yourself, waiting for someone - or something - to get up to mischief?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Yes as a matter of fact” says Mrs. Beddowes sternly. “The servants, myself included, have often taken shifts to try to find out what causes the events. We’ve stood guard in and outside the kitchen and other rooms to make sure no-one could enter, yet the incidents occur. I hope you”ll be able to have better luck. Now, if you’ll please excuse me, I have duties to attend to.”

She bows stiffly and walks away to supervise the cooking of the midday meal.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your time, Mrs. Beddowes," says Alexander. "We'll leave you to your work."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Percy,[b]Percy[/b] moves further inside looking around for anything out of place, thinking the cellar might make a good hiding spot for someone sneaking around at night. [ooc]Spot Hidden 45%[dice]0[/dice][/ooc]
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

[Image

Melody barely manages to suppress a smile when Captain FitzWilliam rebukes Mrs. Beddowes, it wouldn't do to be seen smirking by the stern housekeeper.

Melody decided to remain quiet until the society finished in the kitchen. It's interesting she thought, that servants have stood watch and yet still not noticed the disturbances taking place, but even did not prevent some of the servants suspecting that others were playing a prank. The kitchen still seemed to Melody to be a likely place for an intruder to enter the house, largely ignored by the family and yet with access from the garden and perhaps from the cellar. She wondered whether Percy had found anything interesting.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,‘Rebuking the lower orders’ - what a great idea for a new skill! :D Are we hanging around for Percy to return from the cellar, or should we move off elsewhere?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,You can explore the cellar if you want.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Shall we have a look down the cellar?" Alexander asks the others.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”We could just lock the door and leave Mr Stringer down there...” said Captain FitzWilliam, drily, as he headed for the cellar steps.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The cellar is large and extends under the scullery next door. As well as assorted foodstuffs, there is a large wine rack and barrels of water, beer and oil. Firewood is also stored here. It is clean and well-lit, but there are signs of the ubiquitous mouse. The kitchen door looks to be the only entrance.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam walked around the cellar and inspected the walls. From time to time, he would push at the stonework with his walking stick to see if any would move.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The cellar is solidly built from stone blocks. There doesn't seem to be any hidden entrances.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Percy rejoins the others with a shrug. "No ghosts hiding down here that I can see."
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Everything appears to be normal, but Melody walks around the cellar anyway, looking for anything out of the ordinary, "Did you notice anything unusual Mr. Stringer?"
OOC,Spot Hidden (60%): [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Rooter posted while I was writing my own post.  
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde says to Melody, "Don't you think it rather odd that servants would stand watches through the night of their own accord: servants who are generally exhausted from the days work and have precious free time as it is?" She declines going down to the cellar - something about mice- and waits in the kitchen.

Return to “The Burnt Man”