Page 1 of 1

Chapter 2: The Assignment

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:54 am
by HoneyDog
Tuesday December 14th 1880,

Somerset House, 10am

Somerset House.jpg
Somerset House.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 836 times
The Society meets at the location of the General Register Office at Somerset House on another cold December morning. It will be Christmas soon, and a festive atmosphere is beginning to develop on the streets, but the companions are here on more morbid business.

They waste no time in beginning their search, and by lunchtime have made the following discovery: from the information that they can find, which becomes a little sketchy the further it dates back, from around the year 1640 all Allingham males of Bargrove have died before their 40th birthday. The causes vary but include illness and accident. Prior to that date, it seems that they had longer lifetimes.

Re: Chapter 2: The Assignment

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 am
by Rooter

"This certainly seems to stretch any notion of mere coincidence," Percy remarks to the others, frowning as he looks over the records. "Has the family always been resident in Dartmoor since the seventeenth century, I wonder?"

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It would appear so.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:31 pm
by Philulhu
”That’s 250 years!” said Captain FitzWilliam, with a low whistle. He pondered for a moment. ”So what happened in 1640? That was the time of Charles I, wasn’t it? If this ‘curse’ has any credence, what could it be linked to?”

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 pm
by aine
"More than a coincidence! I should say so! This can be nothing else but supernatural. It is a classic case. In the 1600s there were many witches and warlocks who could invoke a curse. Or, more likely it is a powerful spirit wreaking vengeance for something that happened around 1640. We must ask the barrister where the Allington's history is written down." Isolde paces about, full of enthusiasm.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:01 pm
by Philulhu
”Let us not be so hasty,” cautioned Captain FitzWilliam. ”Galton’s work on eugenics suggests that some traits may be passed from parent to child. It does seem unlikely to me that eugenics could result in the early death of so many male members of one family before the age of 40, but that does not mean that it could not happen. I suggest we look at the evidence first, before we reach any conclusions.”

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Excellent point, Captain," says Alexander with a nod. "I can think of one other possible explanation: a feud between families. Perhaps there is another family that had a falling out with the Allinghams. 1640 was around the time of the Civil War. It could have been that one family supported the Cavaliers and the other the Roundheads, for example. This other family could easily have proclaimed this curse in revenge, though again it is not necessarily supernatural. They could have been deliberately acting to kill the male Allinghams before they reached forty, knowing it would be chalked up to the curse. No one person could be responsible for all those deaths through the centuries, but a family might."

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:04 pm
by aine
Isolde merely smiles, secure in her own conviction. "I'm sure more details will be revealed this afternoon, until then we should keep an open mind. I often find that a medium is called in to help when all other possibilities, scientific or otherwise, have already been dismissed."

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:02 am
by Raiko

As she listens to the conversation, Melody wonders why the men find it so difficult to believe what Miss Beaufort says, when there is so much evidence that this is the work of an evil curse.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:43 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The appointment is at 2pm, so you have a couple of hours before you have to be in Knightsbridge. Is there anything else you would like to do?

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is there enough time to do further research? If so, we could look into the history of Dartmoor circa 1640.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:34 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Is there anywhere in London we can find out more about the family’s history?

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 pm
by aine
"We have a date now, 1640." Says Isolde, "we should look at the local history around then, either in London or perhaps Plymouth or a local historian on Dartmoor. I don't know where we could try here, maybe the British Library or the museum."

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 am
by Philulhu
”We could try the reading room at the British Museum,” replied Captain FitzWilliam, ”But I have a feeling that you may need a reader’s ticket, for which you normally have to apply in advance. I don’t suppose anyone has a contact there who could get us in?”

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I think all of this will take too much time. Why not move things to the lawyers office? It's about time you learned the nature of the assignment.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:06 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,I’m ok with that.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:24 pm
by Rooter
"I'm afraid not, old chap." Percy checks his pocket watch. "I think we just have time for a spot of lunch before we're due at the King's Road office."

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 pm
by Philulhu
”Fair enough,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”Let’s get a bite to eat and then we can hear what the barrister has to say.”

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right you are, then," says Alexander.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:41 am
by HoneyDog
After lunching, the society makes its way to the offices of Shearer, Hartley and Whigg in the King’s Road, an upmarket area. The inhabitants here are accordingly better dressed, although there is still evidence of London’s less well-endowed citizens in the form of the occasional beggar, and vendors selling matches and flowers. On the corner below the lawyers office a red-faced man sells roasted chestnuts, and that aroma continues with the companions as they climb the stairs, where it is soon replaced by the smells of furniture polish and tobacco smoke.

They enter a small foyer containing creaking leather furniture, filing cabinets, a painting of the Queen and a large desk behind which sits the receptionist, a smartly-dressed middle-aged man identified as Percival Jones. Ascertaining the companions’ identities, he soon shows them into the office of Morcombe Shearer.
Shearer is short and portly and in his 50s. He is balding, and what remains of his hair flies up in wings above his ears. A cigar smoulders in an ashtray on his desk.
Once the investigators are offered refreshments (he gives a curious glance to Melody), he begins.

“Thank you all for coming on short notice” he says. His speech is very clipped and abrupt – he is obviously a man who gets down to business. “I’m sure that you have some idea of why you have been asked here, but it is in connection with the recent murder of Lord Bargrove.”

After confirming that the companions are aware of the basic details, he continues. “As yet, the police have been unable to identify the killer or killers. Indeed, it seems that they have little to go on. The early leads have petered out, and none of the locals interviewed had any information. Unfortunately for him, it seems that Sir William was not particularly liked by anyone in the area. He took a very firm hand with the local tenants, too firm, some might say.” He pauses to puff on his cigar, and shifts in his seat.

He starts to look a little uncomfortable. Lady Allingham has not been pleased with the police investigation, and wishes for some new insight into the matter. The particular reason your erm, group has been contacted, is because she specifically requested people with err, expertise in the matter of ahem, hauntings. She believes that Sir William’s spirit is haunting Bargrove Hall, and he needs to be put to rest. We would like to request for your group to investigate this matter.”

He pauses, waiting for comments or questions.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:07 am
by Rooter
Percy nods. "If there is indeed a spirit in residence then I have no doubt that our own medium here, the infamous Miss Beauchant no less, will soon give it a good talking to." He leans forward. "Just between us, though, and without wishing to offend your client, would you say that the Lady Allingham is in your opinion altogether of sound mind at present? Grief affects people in different ways."

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:15 pm
by HoneyDog
Shearer straightens up in his seat and fixes Percy with a steady gaze.

Lady Allingham has undergone a terrible trauma to be robbed of her husband in such a way. I believe that this is an attempt on her part to make sense of the matter. Now, the reason that your society was approached is because of the good social standing of your members. Personally, I do not have much time for matters pertaining to the supernatural, as it seems to attract an inordinate number of charlatans. But we believe that your society will act in good faith. However, having said that, if we find any attempt to defraud our client, I can guarantee that you will be spending the next ten years in court resolving the litigation we will be bringing against you. I hope that makes our position clear.”

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:00 pm
by aine
"Fear, Mr Shearer," says Isolde fixing him with a condescending stare, "Fear and ignorance manifest in many ways. We understand you perfectly; there is no need to be boorish with us. May I ask how long you have been the Allington's solicitor?"

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pm
by Philulhu
Shearer struck Captain FitzWilliam as unnecessarily pompous; not an uncommon situation with lawyers he had met in the past.

”As you said, our members are of good social standing, so there is no need for your threats of legal action,” he said. ”If, and I repeat, if, we decide to help Lady Allington, then what are your terms?”

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:03 am
by Raiko
Doubting that Shearer would care about the opinions of a housekeeper Melody stays quiet for the time being, smiling sweetly as she accepts the drink that is offered.

She suspects that few of her standing have ever been served refreshments by this gentleman, "Thank you sir."

If Lord Bargrove was despised by his tenants, then it was unlikely that he'd been well loved by his own staff either. Melody determined to enquire among the staff when they arrived in Devon. Servants like to gossip, especially about unpopular masters, surely both mundane enemies and supernatural curses would be the subject of household gossip.

The dashing Captain FitzWilliam's assertive tone snapped Melody's thoughts back to the present, as he put the pompous lawyer in his place.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander nods. While he doesn't believe in the existence of ghosts, he is sure that solving the murder and bringing the murderer to justice would convince Lady Allingham that her husband's spirit can rest now. They don't need to break the curse, as there are no more male members of the family line who could fall victim to it in future.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:52 am
by Philulhu
OOC,[quote="Raiko"]The dashing [b]Captain FitzWilliam's[/b] assertive tone snapped [b]Melody's [/b]thoughts back to the present, as he put the pompous lawyer in his place.[/quote] [i]’Hmmm, I am dashing, aren’t I?’ thought Captain FitzWilliam, catching sight of himself in a nearby mirror. He carefully brushed a stray hair back into place in his moustache and raised a eyebrow. ‘Hello, soldier!’ he thought, with a twinkle in his eye...[/i]

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 pm
by Raiko
OOC,:mrgreen: Yes Melody has already picked who she's planning to hide behind!

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:35 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,So has Captain FitzWilliam - if the bullets start flying, he’s hiding behind Stringer! Who needs journalists, anyway?! ;)

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Shearer taps the ash from his cigar, seemingly unruffled by the hostility he has generated.

“My intention is not to be boorish. I merely seek to make it clear that we care deeply about our client’s interests and reputation, and will not stand to see it suffer. Very good!” he says suddenly, producing a piece of paper from a file.

“As to the terms, firstly, I must insist that you at least condescend to referring to Lady Amanda as Allingham, not Allington. If you cannot at least remember the family name correctly, your investigations are unlikely to yield very much. Now, you will each be paid the sum of 10 pounds per week for your services, and rooms have been arranged for you at Bargrove Hall, along with train tickets to the nearest station at Princetown. You will leave first thing tomorrow. Are these terms acceptable? If so, I have contracts drawn up for you.”

He leans back, awaiting an answer.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:55 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam coloured slightly at the rebuke, for it had been he who had misremembered Lady Allingham’s name.

He considered the offered fee and mentally cross-referenced it against his outstanding accounts at his tailors and at his club, and nodded his agreement. ”I can be ready tomorrow morning,” he said.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:33 pm
by Rooter
"As can I," Percy adds. "I know the good captain for one would be at a loss without me. However, Mr. Shearer, you have still not answered Miss Beauchant's question. Have you represented the family for many years? If so then you will be aware that there is more than this supposed haunting at play, that there have been a number of other, shall we say, suspicious deaths in the family. Our group has already done some research. What can you tell us of this tragic history, sir?"

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I shall be ready as well," says Alexander, waiting to hear the answer to Percy's question.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:26 pm
by aine
"The Seekrs of Enlightenment are prepared to accept the contract. We will try to determine the reason for the death and who, or what, caused it. Do you have an end time in mind? And yes, we would like your knowledge on the family history please; the pertinent parts at least." Says Isolde

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:27 am
by HoneyDog
“I take it you’re referring to the so-called ‘family curse’” replies Shearer. “I am aware of that legend, and of the deaths of Sir William’s older brothers. No foul play was suspected in either case, it must be said. I’m also aware that there is a tendency for early deaths amongst the males of that family, but be aware that they have always been active people, and death in the form of accident can sometimes come early to those who live a large part of their lives outdoors, and while medicine continues to advance, illness still takes its toll. In short, as we have no proof of the supernatural” he glances at Isolde as he says this, “we can only surmise it to be an unfortunate coincidence. As for the story behind the curse, I don’t know how it originated. Perhaps your investigations might get to the bottom of these matters, hm?”

He looks around at the companions. “If you have no further questions, I wish you luck. Please contact me if we can be of assistance, and I look forward to hearing the results of your endeavours. Mr. Jones will provide you with the contracts and tickets.”

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:56 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam shook his head silently. He was already mentally planning what he needed to pack to take with him.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:25 am
by aine

"Yes well." Isolde looks hard at Mr Shearer trying to decide if he is hiding anything. 'Thank you Mr Shearer, we will contact you, 'In due course' as you lawyers like to say. "We will see Mr. James on our way out." She looks around for acquiescence.
Psychology,(45%) roll: 49

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:31 pm
by Rooter

"She means Mr. Jones, of course," Percy says with a smile. "Good heavens, my dear Isolde, you really mustn't tease the man. I think I can see a vein throbbing in his forehead."
OOC,Psychology 45%[dice]0[/dice]
"Anyhow, yes, let us proceed."

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Percy,Shearer is obviously skeptical regarding the supernatural. He does appear though to be genuinely concerned for the reputation of his client.
OOC,You can finish here now if you like. The time is about 3pm. Your train is due to leave at 8am tomorrow. Is there anything you want to do, or shall we begin our journey to Dartmoor?

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:44 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Happy to move on to Dartmoor. The information we want about the curse (if there is one), is most likely to come from the family archives, anyway. [b]Captain FitzWilliam’s[/b] heading home to pack his elephant gun... ;)

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 pm
by Raiko
"I do have one small question Mr. Shearer, if I might be so bold?" says Melody, "Has there ever, been a female heir before Ursula? And did they live beyond forty?"
OOC,Happy to move straight onto Dartmoor, regardless of how Shearer answers.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 pm
by HoneyDog
”I believe there has been at some point in time, but not in recent history. My knowledge of the subject is not complete. The curse though is stated to only affect the males of the family, however, so I don’t know what difference it makes.”
OOC,I can start the new thread tonight.

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:38 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Go for it! :)

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:48 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I did want to do some research today about what might have been happening in Dartmoor around 1640, but other than that, I'm ready.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:27 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'll give a hint - aine had a better idea for an area of research when Isolde was originally going to visit the British Library. I wonder if anyone can find it? Try to think about the category of what you're looking for (if that's the correct way to phrase it).

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:33 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Do you mean finding a local historian?

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:06 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No, back when everybody went to The Times.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 am
by Philulhu
OOC,[i]”Isolde goes instead to the British Library to read up on supernatural occurrences on Dartmoor and historical occurrences at the Allingtons' residency.”[/i] We could check up on supernatural occurrences on Dartmoor? Is there a bookshop nearby where we might pick up something to read on the train? Will we find information about the Allingham residence in London?

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:57 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Think specifically about curses. Roll Luck - one of you (not Melody) is a member of the London Library in St. James Square (makes sense considering your occupations) and we can go there. There is no Allingham residence in London.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:25 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,I’ll defer the luck roll to anyone else but FitzWilliam (who has the lowest luck out of all of us). Honeydog: [i]“Will we find information about the Allingham residence in London?”[/i] - I wasn't suggesting that the Allingham‘s had a residence in London; I was suggesting that we might find it difficult to find out about their residence if we asking are questions in London, rather than in Dartmoor... ;) It’s too early for the land registry [url]http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20101213175739/http:/www.landreg.gov.uk/assets/library/documents/bhist-lr.pdf[/url] but there might be county records if the property changed hands.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:04 pm
by aine
Isolde stands with the others on the pavement outside the solicitors'. "Well, Mr Shearer was a bundle of fun. I have a mind to go back in and call up a ghost especially for him. There must be a few lurking in this old building." She sighs,
"You know, if you think about it, the Allingham curse has existed for 250 years. There must be something about it somewhere. I'd have thought a place like Dartmoor, with all the mist and remoteness must have a strong pull for supernatural forces. And plenty of stories. I'd still like to research supernatural history of Dartmoor here in London but I don't know where. One of the big libraires I suppose."
luck,roll:80 fail

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:05 pm
by Rooter
LUCK 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
"Good idea. How about the London Library in St. James Square? I think I have my membership card here somewhere..." Percy searches through his pockets. "Ah, here it is! I didn't get the impression the lawyer was trying to hide anything, by the by, just that he was very concerned about his client's reputation which is perhaps understandable."

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:11 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions take a cab to the London Library in St. James’ Square. Percy’s membership gains them entry to the reception desk, where they are greeted by a friendly librarian, who asks them what they need.
OOC,I can't find any old photos of the London Library unfortunately. It looks like a great place, I'd never heard of it before. Roll Library Use to find something. The librarian will help you, but he'll need specifics. Forget looking at Dartmoor and narrow your focus.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:25 am
by Philulhu
”Good afternoon,” says Captain FitzWilliam to the librarian. He looked around to see if anyone was nearby and, satisfied that no-one was close enough to eavesdrop, said quietly, ”We are looking for information about folk tales and supernatural happenings in Dartmoor. Do you have such tomes in your fine library?”
Library Use,[dice]0[/dice] [i]Just missed it! (25)[/i]

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:40 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry Phil, I didn’t address your thoughts. There won’t be any records about the property in London . Don’t ask about Dartmoor! Have a look at what I wrote earlier.
The Librarian thinks for a moment.

”I don’t believe we have anything like that” he replies.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"How about the family history of the Allinghams, particularly around 1640?" suggests Alexander. He is at home in the library, and the skilled researcher soon finds anything there is to find on the subject.
OOC,Library Use roll (60% skill) researching the [b]Allingham[/b] family history around 1640: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:29 am
by HoneyDog
The librarian checks his files. After some time he comes back."I can't see any books pertaining to that family" he says. "Is there any event in particular you're enquiring about?"
OOC,There are no books on the Allinghams, not here anyway. But you can still use the Roll, if you can think about what it is in particular you're interested in about the Allinghams.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:36 am
by Philulhu
OOC,[i]Looking back through comments, should we be looking into curses?[/i]

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,8-)

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:06 pm
by Philulhu
”Also,” continued Captain FitzWilliam, as if the thought had just miraculously occurred to him, ”If you have any information about curses and how they have been used, then that would also be most useful...”
OOC,We got there at last! :)

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:32 pm
by aine
"Especially curses that have a long history. The one we are interested in dates back to the 1640s! There must have been a few witches around then; do you have many records of that time?' Adds Isolde.
library,(75%) roll: 14

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:07 am
by HoneyDog
The Librarian consults his files again.

“Here’s something which might interest you.”

He hands the companions an index card and directs them to where the book can be found. Shortly, it is in their possession. It is a slim volume, but has an entry on the family in question.
gaslight-burnt-man-book-cursed-families.jpg

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:41 am
by Rooter
"Gypsies, eh?" Percy muses. "An interesting people. I wonder if there are any still around in this 'many-cursed region' we're heading off to? Well, I suppose we shall find out when we get there."

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:57 am
by Philulhu
”Bound to be some,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”They got chased off the land whoever they turned up near our estate, so somewhere with large, uninhabited spaces would be right up their street, I should imagine.”

FitzWilliam recalled a number of run-ins his father had had with gypsies over the years. There had been plenty in Ireland. For the most part they had been peaceable enough but there had been a few rum ‘uns amongst their numbers...

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:36 pm
by aine
"It's just as we thought!" Exclaims Isolde, reading over the shoulder of Captain Fitzwilliam. "And gypsies are notorious for casting curses. Although in this case they may be justified; oo, I bet he was a horrid land owner, mean to his tenants and servants; fancy flogging a young boy to death!"

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:17 pm
by Philulhu
”A gypsy and a horse thief,” said FitzWilliam. “He was lucky not to be hung... ...” He looked up, somewhat abashed as he realised what he had said. ”I mean, horse theft is a capital offence and the law has always taken a dim view of gypsies, tinkers and the like. But flogging a boy to death, that would be inhumane...”

Captain FitzWilliam lapsed into silence. His father was as landowner, and his father before him. He wondered how they would have reacted to a gypsy lad stealing one of their horses. He had a horrible feeling it may not have been so very different, a thought he found particularly sobering.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:57 pm
by Raiko
"Do you think, Miss Beauchant, that it might be possible to help the boy's soul to find peace?" asks Melody, "perhaps that might end the curse forever."

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"The gypsy lad was at least entitled to a fair trial," says Alexander. "Flogging to death is indeed cruel. We'll need to look into the records of this incident when we arrive in Dartmoor. Not much information is here, and we mustn't assume what actually happened based on what little we read in this one book. Ideally, I'd want to speak to eyewitnesses, but that's clearly not possible at this point in time. We don't even know whether the lad was truly guilty, but either way, Allingham's descendants certainly didn't deserve premature deaths because of what their ancestor did, if indeed that's why they died. There are a lot of bad things said about gypsies, and accusations of being thieves and putting curses on people are among the most common. Not everything said about them is true. You should hear some of the things they say about us Scots," he adds with a grin.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:02 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,There won't be much else you can do now as it's getting late in the day and you'll have to pack for your trip. I can start the new thread for the journey as soon as you're ready. If there is any particular special equipment your character wants to take with them, please decide before you leave.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam returned to his great-aunt Maud’s, troubled by what he had heard over the previous two days. He thought himself a pragmatic man, but he struggled to comprehend how a curse could have resulted in the premature deaths of generations of Allingham men. FitzWilliam had faced death in foreign fields - it was part and parcel of being a soldier, and something he had grown to accept. He couldn’t imagine though, knowing that you would die before your 40th birthday and that you would pass on that curse to any male children you might have...

News of his sudden departure had not gone down well with his great-aunt, who made it clear that her plans for a bridge meet later in the week had been thoroughly disrupted. Not having been able to give a full account of the reasons for his abrupt departure did not improve her mood, and FitzWilliam endured supper in a frigid atmosphere before he made his excuses and went to pack.

He thought carefully about what he might need as he sorted through his belongings. Underwear, shirts and collars and a couple of tweed suits (one everyday and one for best) were folded neatly and placed in his travel trunk, along with a pair of brogues and walking boots. An umbrella and tweed caps were added for good measure. The heavy cane that he sometimes used when his leg injury played up, was ready by the side of the bedroom door.

FitzWilliam sat back on his bed and thought about what else he might need. A map of Dartmoor might be useful and he made a note to pick one up at the earliest opportunity. He turned to his army trunk and pulled out his compass and a fresh notebook and pencil. As he did so, he saw his army service revolver, carefully wrapped in oilskin to prevent it rusting. He lifted it out of the trunk and felt the familiar weight in his hand. He sat and thought for a long while about what might await them in Dartmoor, then fetched out a cleaning cloth and set to work...

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:16 am
by Rooter
Back at his lodgings, Percy eats a hearty supper to fortify himself for the journey ahead then packs his warmest clothes and sturdiest boots, anticipating the winter conditions in Dartmoor to be as inhospitable as the others suggested. His reporters' notebook along with fresh tobacco for his pipe goes into his coat pocket as a matter of course then he turns in for an early night.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:36 pm
by aine
Once back in Half Moon St, Isolde writes a note to The Seekers of Enlightenment, saying where there are going and an address for mail. Then she packs her warmest clothes (still rather flamboyant) her stoutest boots and a heavy umbrella. She also packs her crystal ball, crystals, her pendulum, special candles and her favourite book on occultism. All this requires two boys to carry it to the station the next morning.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:27 am
by Raiko
Melody makes some hot drinks for Dr. Campbell and herself when they return to the doctor's house, and then gets herself off to bed as early as she can.

Rising early as usual the next morning, she collects the early edition of The Times, prepares a hearty full-breakfast including some Scottish favourites such as a thick black puddling, and then wakes Dr. Campbell so he can enjoy his breakfast and newspaper before the journey to Dartmoor.

Once the doctor has eaten, she helps him to finish his packing.

For herself she has already packed a small bag with her best two dresses, some changes of undergarments and her small photograph of her mother. She puts on her overcoat and collects four candles, a hand-held candle carrier and a box of safety matches from the kitchen. She thinks of borrowing a small filleting knife from the kitchen as well, but decides against it - it's not as if you can stab a ghost!

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander is delighted with the breakfast and compliments Melody on her cooking. He packs a collection of portable scientific equipment, suitable for performing analysis of various substances, and he brings his shotgun and some shells in case he gets the opportunity to do some hunting while in Dartmoor. He also brings a lantern, musing that perhaps electricity could be used to power one at some point in the future. He relies on Melody to pack necessities such as clothing and toiletries; he may very well have forgotten had she not been there.