Page 1 of 1

Chapter 8: The Vanishing

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
Monday, December 20th

Bargrove Hall, 8am

It has finally snowed. Since the events of the night before, heavy flakes have carpeted the grounds of Bargrove Hall and the moors beyond. Looking from the windows, the world is white, broken only by the leaden grey sky. And the snow continues to fall…

Re: Chapter 8: The Vanishing

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:36 pm
by aine
Isolde looks out of her bedroom window at the snowy scene. 'Beautiful but also menacing somehow. she thinks and adds another shawl round her shoulders before heading down for breakfast. On the way she stops at the study and looks inside, hoping it hasn't been cleaned up.

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"None of us are going anywhere today, it seems," says Alexander to the others when he goes downstairs for breakfast. "If last night's prankster or pranksters are still here, they aren't going anywhere either. This could be our chance to finally figure out who's behind this."

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:40 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,The Study has been left undisturbed as instructed.

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:52 pm
by aine
"Well, I still think pixies are the culprits. There's plenty of stories about them here on the moors. I might do some research in the library as it looks like we are snowed in today. We should go over the study with a tooth comb too." Says Isolde as they sit down to breakfast. She keeps quiet about her ideas once Lady Amanda arrives however.

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I shall do that," says Alexander. "I'd like to research the conflict with the Romans, but there will be plenty of time for that later, and the books will still be there. The evidence in the study is fresh."

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda looks more drawn than ever. There are dark circles under her eyes, and she picks listlessly at her food. She barely registers the conversation around her.

Ursula looks pale and withdrawn too, but she steals occasional worried glances at her mother. Josephine attempts to make conversation about the snow, but soon gives up on the two of them as they are unwilling to communicate. She turns to the companions.

McKenzie tells us that it won’t be possible to use the carriage any longer. But luckily we’re not completely cut off – we have the sleigh. He will prepare it after breakfast.”

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That would be good, Your Ladyship," says Alexander. "A sleigh ride sounds like just the thing." He only hopes that whoever was responsible for last night's incident hasn't stolen it and left them trapped here, although that would make it easy to identify the culprit. All they'd have to do is find out who's missing.

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:43 pm
by aine
"Would a sleigh ride be safe? As a means to reach the train station it is justified maybe." Isolde looks concerned but doesn't voice her thoughts about 'accidents'.

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:58 pm
by Rooter
Percy nods in agreement with Isolde. "You won't catch me riding on that thing unless our lives depend on it. Are you well, your ladyship? You look rather pale."

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:26 pm
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda looks up from her plate, and mutters something unintelligible.

Standing behind her, Howard coughs and says "It's very unlikely that any trains will be running after this snow, I'm afraid. But we might get word later today."

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:27 pm
by aine
"I don't know what the snow has been doing during the night but might there be tracks on the ground? Or they could be getting in through a hole or a... gate in the house somewhere?" Isolde still has her mind on pixies.
"If there is no proof that humans have been causing the disturbances then my idea, however implausible, may be the only answer."
She lapses into thought and looks at the drawn Lady Amanda. She comes to a decision,
"Your Ladyship, we have found nothing supernatural and no proof of any people here being the cause. The only other explanation is something between the two.
Have you ever heard or seen anything like a pixie or other fey creature here? I only say this because I think that is what I saw and heard last night."

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:59 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam stifled a yawn as he picked at his food. He would be making his way to the study to see if he could see what had caused the previous night’s disturbance as soon as they had finished.

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:20 pm
by HoneyDog
Several pairs of eyes stare at Isolde with a mixture of incredulity and amazement. Lady Amanda looks particularly aghast; her mouth hangs open, making her look the opposite of her usual refined self.

“P…pixies?” she manages to stammer.

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:52 pm
by aine
Isolde lifts her chin and her eyes flash. "You may laugh but that is what I think. After we have examined the study I intend to find something in the library to back my idea up."

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda's expression is unreadable as she stares at Isolde.

"Pixies?" she repeats. "There are... pixies in the house?"

She shakes her head, baffled. Shakily, she addresses Ursula.

"Ursula dearest, when the snow has melted we will be taking a trip away for a while. I hope you will accompany us, Josephine".

"Of course, Madame" Josephine replies, looking bewildered.

Amanda stands up and leaves the room, shortly followed by Howard, Josephine and a confused Ursula, who casts a glance back at the companions as she goes.

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:35 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam broke the silence with a question. ”What makes you think that pixies might be involved?” He wasn’t sceptical, just matter of fact. At this stage, he would consider any suggestion that might offer a resolution to their situation.

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:30 pm
by aine
"Pixies or something like them, goblins maybe; I don't really know the difference. But I do know what I heard last night; high pitched chattering and I saw a shadow of something small.

It could have been children but could they have pulled that heavy picture off the wall? And the only child we've seen around here is that gipsy boy. Add on that Hobs Field is like Hobgoblin and that the stone is reputed to be a door to faeryland.

And the story about the druids that summoned goblins out of the ground to kill all those roman soldiers. What if that 1600s gypsy witch had something to do with druids and goblins and used her connections to put her curse into effect.

I know it sounds preposterous but has anyone a better idea?" Isolde looks at each of her companions.
"At least it seems to have convinced Lady Amanda to leave here."

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
”I’m not sure it was the talk of pixies that forced her Ladyship to leave,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”As much as the realisation that after all our time here, we have little to offer her other than fairy tales...”

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think it is more likely that the culprit or culprits are human than pixies," says Alexander. "The gypsy boy isn't the only child around here. Ursula is a child as well. I don't believe she would do anything like this on purpose, but she is known to sleepwalk. Pulling the picture off the wall doesn't require anywhere near as much strength as putting it up would. Gravity is on one's side in this case."

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:22 pm
by Rooter
"I believe you Miss Isolde," Percy says loyally. "I'll help you in the library."

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:09 pm
by Philulhu
”If it was Miss Ursula, she would have had to be in the library to make noise, then get past me and Miss Beuchamp to get into the study via a closed door, take the picture from the wall and then make herself scarce,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”I don’t think that’s even possible.”

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Unless there's a secret passage," says Alexander. "Still, it does seem unlikely. I shall go to the library too. I'd like to research what happened with the Romans and the druids, and perhaps see if there might be a secret passage there."

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:27 am
by Philulhu
”For the sake of thoroughness, I will check the study for a secret passage,” replied Captain FitzWilliam.

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Isolde & Percy: Roll Library use. Alexander & FitzWilliam: Roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:07 pm
by Philulhu
OOC - Searching for a secret door,Spot Hidden - a myopic 25% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm
by aine
"Thank you, Percy." Isolde gives a warm but tired smile. " I can't see how even an agile child could have been in two places last night and if there was a gang, why then surely we would have caught more than a glimpse!"

Isolde goes to the library and collects all the books that might mention local fairy tales. She even looks at natural history books of the area.
Library use,(75%) roll: 3

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

If there is a secret passage here, Alexander is pretty sure he can find it.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) in the library: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:23 am
by Rooter
Library use,55%[dice]0[/dice]
In the library, Percy assists Isolde in perusing the books on local history.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
Both Fitzwilliam and Alexander make thorough searches of the Study and the Library respectively, and can be quite sure that there are no hidden passages to be found.

Isolde and Percy cannot find any other books of interest on local history, but there is one which catches their eye…
Faeries.jpg

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, well, there's no secret passage," says Alexander. "I still dinna believe in the Wee Folk, though even my mum left out a saucer of milk for them every night. It was always empty by morning, but I'm sure that had more to do with the neighbourhood cats. I'd like to see if there's anything in here about the confrontation between the Romans and the druids."

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:34 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander searches the shelves, but apart from the existing volume, no more is to be found on this subject.

The morning is almost over now, and soon the bell will ring for lunch.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:20 pm
by aine
After Percy has read the passage, Isolde shows it to Alexander and Fitzwilliam.
"There's a lot here that ties in with what we've discovered. It's a pity we didn't think to ask about the horses' condition that morning. But I don't know where we go from here; what to tell her Ladyship.

I suppose if this is the answer then do we need to find a way to placate the fairies - so that they remove the curse?"

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam read the passage in the book and pondered. ”The text would tally with the description of what they found in the stable,” he said. ”But it isn’t proof that some mythical creature was involved. Mind you, I’d be willing to entertain any ideas at this stage... ...”

He thought for a while longer and spoke again, “Assuming that such creatures were to be involved, does the book say anything as to how they might be appeased?”

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions’ ruminations are interrupted by loud cries from elsewhere in the house. Shortly thereafter, a young maid enters breathlessly, her eyes wild.

“Oh, come quick!” she cries. Miss Ursula’s gone!”

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam sprang to his feet. ”Gone?! Gone from where?” he snapped.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander comes running and follows the maid's directions.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:58 am
by Rooter
Percy also hurries after the maid.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
The maid hurries to the hall where a frantic-looking Josephine stands with Howard, who has lost some of his composure.

“I let Ursula play outside, but she hasn’t been seen for over two hours”
says Josephine as the companions arrive. “I told her to be back by now, and she is never late. I have called for her, but she has not come. We will search the house to make sure, but can you help search the grounds?” she pleads.

McKenzie has gone to the stables; please check the groundskeeper’s cottage” says Howard. “No doubt she has probably just fallen asleep somewhere, but you understand, what with the current situation…” he trails off.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:05 pm
by aine
"But surely it is too cold to play outside!" Exclaims Isolde. "Really, you men have no sense! Come on, maybe we can find her tracks in the snow. Who's got dogs?"
Isolde runs upstairs to put on warm clothes and boots before heading outside.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Right, we'll go look for her," says Alexander, throwing on his coat and gloves. "One bright side to all this snow is that she'll have left clear tracks."

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:07 am
by Philulhu
Suitably attired and with his revolver deep in his coat pocket, Captain FitzWilliam followed Alexander out of the door, immediately scanning the ground for footprints.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 am
by Rooter
Percy pulls on his hat, coat and mittens and follows the others making for the cottage.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:57 pm
by HoneyDog
The investigators set off towards the groundskeepers cottage, while Melody volunteers to help search inside the house. The snow is ankle deep for the men, but they are able to pass through it without too much difficulty. Presently, they reach the cottage.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:05 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam held up a hand to pause the party before they all tromped up to the door and obliterated any tracks. ”Wait!” he said, and he knelt quickly, leaning on his cane, and scanned the snow for signs of a child’s footprints.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
There are none.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:18 pm
by Philulhu
Satisfied there were no footprints, Captain FitzWilliam strode up to the door and knocked sharply.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 pm
by aine
While they wait, Isolde whispers,
"If we have no luck here maybe we should try the graveyard... and then Hobs Field."

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:04 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander nods. "Miss Ursula, are you in there?" he calls.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:31 pm
by HoneyDog
The door opens and Mr Smith peers out.

"Are you looking for Miss Ursula?" he asks. "She's not here. What's the matter?"

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, we're looking for her," says Alexander. "Josephine let her play outside, but she hasn't come back and is overdue. Have ye seen her this morning?"

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:21 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam understood that Smith was fond of the little girl, but at this stage wasn’t prepared to take anything for granted anymore. He studied the man for any signs that he wasn’t telling the truth.
Psychology roll,Psychology = 25% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Smith is alarmed. “I was just going to check on her. She was down by the pond. Another child was there with her, so I thought I’d leave her be and let her try and make a friend.”
FitzWilliam,Smith's alarm is genuine. He's not hiding anything.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:23 pm
by Philulhu
”By the pond! Then please lead the way, Mr. Smith!” exclaimed Captain FitzWilliam.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:14 pm
by aine
"There's a pricking in my thumbs." Mutters Isolde as they tramp through the snow to the pond.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, let's go," says Alexander, already moving. "Who is this other child? I wasn't aware there were any others here." Far more likely this child is responsible for what happened last night than pixies, he thinks.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:15 pm
by Philulhu
”Can you describe the child, Mr Smith?” asked Captain FitzWilliam, as they tramped through the snow.

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:59 am
by HoneyDog
Smith doesn't look round as he replies, as he is intent on reaching the pond.

“I only saw from a distance. I assumed it was one of the gypsy children. It was about thirty to forty minutes ago.”

At the pond, it is plain to see that the snow has been disturbed. A trail appears to lead away, towards the moors.
Everyone,Roll Track.

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander has no idea how to read the tracks, but it seems obvious which why they went.
OOC,Track roll (10% base skill) about the trail: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:56 am
by Rooter
Track 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
"I expect she must have wandered off with a friend to the gypsy camp," Percy says. "Remember that gypsy boy who came to the house asking for food the other day?"

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:42 am
by Philulhu
”Would she normally be allowed to play with the Gypsy children, Mr. Smith?” asked Captain FitzWilliam, thinking of how protective Lady Allingham was over her daughter.
Track roll,Track = 40% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:42 pm
by HoneyDog
The old gardener looks shocked, frantically looking in all directions.

"We need to find her" he says. "Get help from the house".

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I'll go fetch them," says Alexander, running back to the house.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Alexander returns to the house to find it in turmoil. Lady Amanda has found out that Ursula may be missing and is crying uncontrollably in the hallway, with the housekeeper, Melody and Josephine trying to comfort her. Several of the staff look on, concerned, unsure of what to do.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander fills them in on what Smith had told them and what they had discovered at the pond. "We need more help to follow her trail and find her," he says. "She can't have gone far."

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:52 pm
by HoneyDog
At the news of Ursula’s possible abduction Amanda screams in anguish. She falls to the floor screaming and crying uncontrollably. The sight of their usually quiet and collected mistress visibly unnerves the servants, and the atmosphere in the room instantly becomes fraught.

At this point the doughty McKenzie steps up.

“Ah’ll ready the sleigh, an’ we’ll take off after her. Never fear, mum” he declares, and strides out if the house.

In turn, Howard calls for some help to accompany him to the village to seek further assistance.

“I’ll stay with her Ladyship Melody tells Alexander. “Go and find her.”

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:20 pm
by aine
Back at the pond:
"That was my first thought too. " says Isolde, looking to see how many sets of footprints there are. "But it might have only looked like a child from that distance." She says darkly. "I was at a house once and they used dogs to track a lost old man who had become addled in his wits. Are there any such animals here?" She asks the gardener.
Track,10% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
“No” replies Smith, looking still looking around. “We don’t have dogs.”

It takes McKenzie about thirty minutes to prepare the sleigh. In the meantime, another party is ready to set out to the village.
OOC,Will you all accompany McKenzie across the moors?

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:35 pm
by aine
ooc,Is that a leading question? ;) Yes please!

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:41 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Of course, the village or staying behind are options too. All are equally available.

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:37 am
by Philulhu
Dismayed by the amount of time that McKenzie was taking to prepare the sleigh, Captain FitzWilliam pitched in to get the horses tethered. ”Come along man, there’s a young girl out there in the snow!” he said sharply.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dinna worry, we'll find the wee lassie," says Alexander, following McKenzie. He helps him with the sleigh and will accompany him to search for Ursula.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:01 pm
by Rooter
Percy also braces himself for the sleigh ride across the moors.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
“Ach, dinna fash yerself!” McKenzie tells FitzWilliam angrily. “I’ll no need the help of an amateur! I’ll find the wee lassie maself if I need tae!”

Grumbling angrily at the companions, he adds “Get some bloody blankets frae the hoose, or ye’ll freeze oot ther! Hurry up! We’re leavin noo!”

The companions climb aboard the sleigh, joined by Smith, who is determined to find his young friend. Soon the sleigh sets off across the moors, following the narrow track of the footprints. Although the unspoiled snowy landscape is undoubtedly beautiful, it is freezing, and after about thirty minutes a light snow begins to fall, threatening to obscure the tracks.
OOC,Roll Track! If successful, you'll make out the trail.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:25 pm
by Philulhu
If McKenzie’d been one of his men, he’d have been facing Field Punishment No.1 for that insubordinate comment, but they needed him to drive the sleigh so Captain FitzWilliam bit back on his reply.

He pulled himself up to the sleigh and scanned the ground ahead.
OOC - Tracking,Tracking - 40% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:10 pm
by aine
Track,10% [dice]0[/dice]
Isolde is glad of the extra clothes she put on as she scans the ground near the sleigh.

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander can't quite make out the trail. He can only hope that McKenzie is a better tracker.
OOC,Track roll (10% base skill) to follow the trail: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:16 am
by Rooter
Track,10%[dice]0[/dice]
"Where else could she go other than the gypsy camp out here?" says Percy.

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:51 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,As Isolde was so close I'll give a success.
Isolde just manages to pick out the tracks for them to follow.

“Aye, they appear to be heading toward Darkmere, where the gypsies are camped” says McKenzie. He stops the sleigh to look more closely at the tracks.
OOC:   McKenzie Track 10: Track: 1d100 8  
Stooping over them he exclaims, “Come look at this!”

Dismounting, the companions join him.

“Look!” he points. There appear to be two sets of tracks. Both are small and appear to be that of children. But one set, incredibly, is barefoot.

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:39 am
by Philulhu
”Miss Ursula’s, do you think?” asked Captain FitzWilliam as he studied the footprints carefully.
OOC,Is there any way to determine if either footprints are Ursula’s? Does FitzWilliam remember if the gypsy boy who came to the house was wearing shoes?

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:41 pm
by HoneyDog
FitzGerald,Everyone would have probably noticed if Reuben had been barefoot.
"Whit other bairns wuld be oot here?" McKenzie says scornfully.

"Why would the other child be barefoot?" asks Smith in amazement.

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:11 pm
by aine
"Even a gypsy child would need boots in this weather. No, this supports my theory of the pixies who wouldn't need boots. One of them has talked Ursula into following it." Isolde looks ahead.

"We've got to catch them before they enter faeryland. The only door we know of his the one at the stone but there may be others. We must hurry!" Isolde looks at the direction of the tracks- are they heading to Hobs Field? Otherwise it may be another door they are heading for.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:40 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Hob's Field is in the opposite direction. Currently the group is travelling in the direction of Darkmere.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander examines the footprints with a scientific eye. "I think it more likely she's gone off with the gypsy lad," he says, "but regardless, we must follow the tracks. We'll soon catch them up, with us in the sleigh and them on foot, and one of them without shoes."

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:24 am
by HoneyDog
The companions remount the sleigh and it continues on. Snow is beginning to fall more thickly now. The increasing depth of the snow begins to slow progress, and threatens to obscure the tracks.
OOC,Roll Track once more.

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander knows that even if the tracks are covered, they are probably headed for the gypsy camp.
OOC,Track roll (10% base skill) to follow the tracks: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:22 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam despaired as the snow continued to fall. He scanned the ground but he had lost sight of the trail.
Track- 40%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm
by aine
track,(10%)[dice]0[/dice]
"Is this the way to the gypsy camp then?" Asks Isolde. She looks back at the way they have come,

"I hope we can find our way back; do you know the way, MacKenzie?" She asks the driver. After a while she looks over the side, "I can't see the tracks any more, you'd better slow down so we can have another careful look."

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:01 am
by Rooter
Track,10%[dice]0[/dice]
"I think I see something," Percy ventures.

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 am
by HoneyDog
“Oh aye” says McKenzie. “Ah ken whur we are. Yon gypsy camp is in this direction. Shouldn't be too far.”

He waves his hand.

Percy manages to make out the track, but there is something unusual about it. Dismounting again, the party is able to see that more footprints have converged on the trail. Some are shod, but more are barefoot. All are child-like in size.

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like someone's playing Pied Piper," says Alexander with a frown.

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:55 pm
by aine
"Oh dear." Says Isolde worriedly. "You may be right, Alexander. More than you know. Which way do they go?"

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:43 pm
by HoneyDog
“Over yonder” says McKenzie, pointing across the snowy wasteland. “Let’s make haste”.

Soon mounted, the party sets off again. Visibility steadily declines but McKenzie is able to keep them on a straight path.

The shadows lengthen and evening begins to draw in. The snow is falling lightly but steadily. The sky is white and eddies swirl around the sleigh as it glides through the frozen landscape.

The tracks are no longer visible, but…
Everyone,Roll Listen.

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:15 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam stared out into the whiteness of the falling snow but could no longer hear anything much beyond the confines of the sleigh. Straining his senses, he thought he heard something but couldn’t be sure what made the noise or from which direction it came.
Listen (25%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander is a better listener than he is a tracker.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) in the snow: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:13 pm
by aine
listen,(25%) [dice]0[/dice]
Isolde is lulled by the swishing of the rails and the soft thud of the horses' hooves in the snow.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:15 am
by Rooter
Listen,55%[dice]0[/dice]
"Do you hear that?" Percy says.

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:48 pm
by HoneyDog
Alexander & Percy,Both men hear the sound of voices raised in anger in the distance.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Alexander, pointing. "It came from over there. Some angry people are raising their voices. We'd best get over there."

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:41 am
by HoneyDog
McKenzie turns the sleigh in the direction of the voices.

Cresting a ridge, the companions can see the frozen lake of Darkmere and the gypsy camp before it. There is a crowd of people outside the camp.

As they get closer, the can hear the angry shouting more clearly. It seems that some members of the crowd are villagers, mostly male, who are furiously gesticulating, some of them with makeshift weapons. They are faced by the gypsy men, who stand their ground with weapons of their own. Maria Petulengro is among them, and appears to be trying to calm things.

The cries of “murderers!” and “give us back the children!” can be heard.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:57 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam dropped from the sleigh and marched, tall and stiff-backed, between the two groups. Drawing upon all his experience of dealing with unruly Zulus in Natal, bellowed, ”What is happening here?” in his most commanding voice.
OOC,I would use Intimidate but I don’t have that skill listed?

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:02 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No need!

McKenzie
brings the sleigh to a skidding halt, its bells tinkling. Faced with the wrathful countenance of Captain Fitzwilliam, the villagers and gypsies are distracted, which dissipates their fury somewhat.

“They took the children!” shouts one villager. “Four of our children have gone!”

“What about our Reuben?” shouts one of the gypsy women. “Where is he, eh?”

The angry accusations begin to start again.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We've come here looking for a missing child too," says Alexander, coming forward. "We followed the tracks of multiple children to this area. We all want to find them, so let's work together."
OOC,Intimidate was added in 7th edition. Persuade roll (60% skill) to get everyone to calm down and work together: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:10 pm
by aine
"It really is the Pied Piper all over again!" Murmurs Isolde.

"These crowds won't believe the truth but you've got to placate them somehow; and we have to follow to the end of the tracks before they fill with snow. Ask the gypsies who their best trackers or poachers are and get them on those tracks! And bring some villagers to balance it out."
Persuade,(25%) [dice]0[/dice]
Isolde leaves it for one of her companions to do the talking; those men are in no mood to take orders from a woman.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:30 pm
by Philulhu
”You heard Miss Beauchamp!” roared Captain FitzWilliam. ”If you want to save your children, you must work together!”

He turned and looked at the Maria. ”Who among you is best at following a trail? Bring him forth before we lose them altogether!”

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:57 pm
by HoneyDog
Smith and McKenzie both add their voices to the fray.

"A child very dear to me is missing" Smith pleas. "Let us not waste time arguing. We need to find them all!"

"Aye!" shouts McKenzie. "An whit's all this blather aboot 'murderers' ah hear?"

"The newcomers have all been killed!" shouts one of the villagers. "We found them hacked to pieces in their cottages!"

"We found this!"says another villager, holding out what looks like a sharpened piece of flint.
OOC,All can roll History or Archaeology.

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:10 pm
by Philulhu
”Killed with this?!” said Captain FitzWilliam, studying the flint intently.
History (20%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:33 pm
by aine
History,(70)[dice]0[/dice]
"And the druids called up goblins from the ground who fell upon the centurions and slayed them all." Isolde quotes in a low voice.

"It's just like in that book we read! I'm not sure I recognise the age of that flint but it surely isn't local; isn't it all granite on the moor?
To think all those strong men were killed- it's incredible! We mustn't waste anytime- let the trackers begin!" She finishes with a shout at the mob.

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I doubt this is the murder weapon," says Alexander. "There's nae blood on it, for one thing."
OOC,History roll (40% skill) about the flint: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 am
by Rooter
History,20%[dice]0[/dice]
Percy nods in agreement. "It would take someone or something unnaturally strong to do such a thing with a bit of flint."

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:09 pm
by HoneyDog
“I wiped the blood off it” says the villager. “It most certainly was used to kill those poor fellows. Ripped to pieces they were.”

He looks sickened by the recollection.

Maria Petulengro approaches the companions.

“Our men will join you. We need to find Reuben and the other children!”

“But what direction should we take?” says the villager. “We lost the tracks.”
OOC,All can roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:45 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam looked around for signs of where the children may have gone.
Spot Hidden (25%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:19 pm
by aine
spot hidden,(25)[dice]0[/dice]
"I've no idea." Says Isolde.

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander's keen scientist's eyes spot something.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) about the flint: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:18 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander,Scouting around for the tracks, Alexander spots something through a break in the clouds. It looks like a light, away to the southeast.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"There, a light!" calls Alexander, pointing off to the southeast. He gets back on the sleigh. "Let's head for it."

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:26 am
by HoneyDog
The crowd looks up and sees the light.

“It must be coming from Eagle Tor!” says one. “It’s the only place high enough!”

Soon the collection of villagers and gypsies moves off, accompanying the sleigh. The snow has stopped but the sky is still overcast, and it is slow going over the ice-encrusted rocks. However, as the evening draws on, they make progress, and are rewarded with the sight of the light growing brighter. They are now within a mile or so of Eagle Tor.
OOC,Everybody can roll Listen.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander hears something clearly.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) approaching Eagle Tor: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:56 am
by Philulhu
Try as he might, Captain FitzWilliam couldn’t hear a thing.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:56 pm
by aine
Listen,25 [dice]0[/dice]
"We must be more circumspect!" Insists Isolde. "If they see this great mob charging up the hillside the pixies will hurry the children underground and shut the gate for ever more; we'd never find it or the children. Gosh, someone must have really crossed them to make them take so many. It can't be the curse else why take the gypsy children too?"

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:26 am
by Rooter
Listen,55%[dice]0[/dice]
"Yes, and the village children as well," Percy says.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:26 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam held out a hand in a ‘hushing’ motion to encourage silence amongst the mob, and redoubled his efforts to climb the hill, using his staff to propel him forward.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
Alexander & Isolde,The sounds are faint, but gradually they come to the ears of Alexander and Isolde, whose words have no sooner left her mouth when she hears the noise - a howling and shrieking, as if in gleeful anticipation, but from throats which don’t quite sound like those of people. It is shocking, and several of the men stop, their eyes wide with horror. [ooc]Roll SAN! Failure costs 1 point.[/ooc]

Several of the party come to a stop, looking shocked.

“Can ye hear that?” stammers one man. He crosses himself. They look visibly scared.

One of the gypsy men turns to Isolde, a deep frown on his face. He looks at her intently.
Isolde,Roll Luck.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, I heard it," says Alexander, viewing things more rationally. "I don't think it was pixies. Pixies don't howl like that, I imagine. Sounds more like a wolf, but not exactly. There haven't been any wolves in the wild here for a very long time, though. Still, we'd best hurry."
OOC,Sanity roll (80% stat) for hearing the howling and shrieking: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:02 pm
by aine
sanity & luck,(50 50) [dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
Isolde visibly pales and puts a hand to her mouth,
"Oh no!" She is obviously very frightened but gives Alexander an angry look,
"How can you be so...so foolish? Listen to your ears; those aren't wolves or bears- those are goblins! Are they cackling because they have the children? Or because we are walking straight into a trap!"

She catches the eye of the gypsy who is staring intently at her.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:03 pm
by HoneyDog
The man gives Isolde a strange look, but turns away.

Now the tor is more visible, a solitary dark crag that looms up from the snowy landscape. Unusually for the moor, there appears to be trees growing around the base and up one side of the tor.

Now the awful screaming sound is audible to the whole party, and more of the men stop and gasp in horror. Some seem to hesitate, unsure of whether to press on.
OOC,Everyone, roll Listen again.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander can't hear anything over the howling and shrieking.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) near the tor: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:12 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam strained to make out anything in the shrieking noises.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 pm
by Rooter
Listen,55%[dice]0[/dice]
"What's that?" Percy says.

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 pm
by aine
Isolde walks after the gypsy and puts a hand on his arm,
"Tell me, what is it? What do you know?"
Persuade,45[dice]0[/dice]
Listen 25,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 am
by HoneyDog
Percy,Percy can now also hear something else – it sounded like a child, screaming in fear.
“Nothing” says the gypsy to Isolde. “I thought I heard you say something is all.”

He seems to be focused on the route ahead.
Isolde,Think about what has happened since your Luck roll succeeded.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"We must keep moving, quickly!" urges Alexander.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:37 am
by Rooter
"I heard what sounded like a child screaming in fear," Percy says.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:22 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam pulled his revolver from his pocket and broke into a run, his breath steaming in the cold air.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:26 pm
by aine
"Wait- everyone-stop! I still think it's a trap: you must use caution!" Isolde cries. She turns to Fitzwilliam,

"Please Captain, you're a soldier, you must know what to do; surely it is better to creep up to the tor through those trees whilst some of the men cause a diversion? I really think that if you race up there you will surely be massacred by the goblins."

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 am
by HoneyDog
The gypsy and several other men turn on Isolde.

“You did say goblins!” exclaims the gypsy. “What are you talking about?”

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Goblins or no, we've got to save the children fast," says Alexander.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:48 am
by HoneyDog
Several of the men have surrounded the companions.

"What are you talking about"? says one. "Do you know who's up there?"

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've no idea myself," says Alexander. "Have you? If not, the only way we're going to find out is to go there and see."

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:21 am
by HoneyDog
"What's all this about goblins?" insists another.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:30 pm
by aine
Isolde looks at her companions before addressing the men,
"Whoever or whatever killed the newcomers has got the children up on the tor. Now I reckon you have your own ideas about what's up there but it doesn't change the need to creep up there stealthily and try to rescue the children before we maybe lose them altogether. How one would do that I'm afraid I don't know; I'm a teacher not a red indian.

"But the poachers amongst you have the knowledge and the soldiers would best know how to deploy the men here. I suppose I'd best go with the group who try to rescue the children; they'll probably need comforting. I'm going to start walking up through those trees now because I can't move as quickly as you in these skirts. And hopefully I'm wrong about the goblins."

She turns and starts picking her way up through the tussocks and rocks towards the wood.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm no very sneaky," says Alexander, "but I'm a good shot with a shotgun. I'll go with the soldiers and hunters."
OOC,Do I have my shotgun with me?

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:31 am
by HoneyDog
One villager steps up, a big, tough looking farmer.

“There’s only one way up the tor in these conditions” he says. “Through the trees. The far side would need ropes at the best of times to make it with a reasonable chance of success. My son is up there, so let’s get moving.”
OOC,I was remiss in getting you all to do an inventory before you left, so please do one now – weapons are allowed within reason. It’s reasonable to assume that the party might have bought weapons in pursuit of Ursula. There are a couple of shotguns in evidence among the gentlefolk; most have cudgels, the gypsies are armed with knives.

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right, I'm with you," says Alexander. "I've got some rope, but I don't think we have time to go for a climb, and we'd be at a disadvantage to whoever's above. At least the trees will provide cover."
OOC,In addition to my shotgun and extra shells, I'd like to bring my tools, a lantern, and rope.

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:55 am
by Philulhu
OOC,[b]FitzWilliam[/b] has his revolver and walking stick, which he can use as a club if required.
”Come along then,” snapped Captain FitzWilliam as he set off in the direction of the trees, setting a brisk pace for the others to follow.

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 am
by Rooter
Percy follows. He is unarmed except for his notebook.

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam glanced at his companion. ”They say, Mr Stringer, that the pen is mightier than the sword,” he said. At any other time, Stringer might have assumed it was another put-down, but FitzWilliam sounded genuinely worried.

He passed him the stout walking stick. ”Just in case it turns out to be hogwash, eh?”

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:29 pm
by aine
Isolde carries nothing extra than a small hip flask filled with brandy and an even smaller pair of binoculars given to her by her astronomical father years ago. She is wearing plenty of clothes though and feels rather warm on the pull up the hill.
"I can't believe we may actually see some real pixies; if it wasn't for the children this would be rather quite exciting!" She says in a low voice.

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander also can't believe they may actually see some real pixies, though he doesn't say so.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:28 am
by HoneyDog
McKenzie stops the sleigh at the edge of the trees and clambers out with Smith. The party heads into the trees.

The oaks are gnarled and stunted, in fact it is a wonder that they can grow at all in the poor soil of the moors. The ground is uneven and strewn with boulders, slowing progress.

The snarling and roaring from the hill above gets steadily louder.
OOC,All roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:14 am
by Philulhu
Spot Hidden (25%),[dice]0[/dice]
Captain FitzWilliam wondered if it was time to make an appointment with his optician. His vision certainly wasn’t as sharp as it was in the Natal...

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:59 pm
by aine
Spot hidden,(25) [dice]0[/dice]
Isolde is too busy looking to see what the gypsies and village men are doing to notice anything else.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander sees something.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) going through the trees: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 am
by Rooter
Spot,45%[dice]0[/dice]
Percy is also too focused on traversing the uneven ground with the aid of the captain's stick to notice much else.

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:12 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander,The trees are moving in the wind, but Alexander notices something strange – some of the branches are moving against the wind, and seemingly towards members of the party!

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a bit odd," says Alexander. "The tree branches are moving toward us, but the wind is going the other way. I'd, um, give the trees a wide berth."

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:41 am
by HoneyDog
As Alexander voices his warning, several branches whip out, targeting the people moving through the trees! They flail wildly, sweeping their limbs with murderous intent.
OOC,Roll Dodge! If successful, you can move to safety, but if unsuccessful they branches connect; roll 1d8 for damage.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander barely manages to get out of the way of the tree branches, having been forewarned.
OOC,Dodge roll (20% base skill) to avoid the tree branches: [dice]0[/dice] Damage: [dice]1[/dice] CON x 5 roll (60% stat) to stay conscious: [dice]2[/dice] Can I please have a bonus to my Dodge roll, as I passed my Spot Hidden roll and saw it coming?

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:33 am
by HoneyDog
Mr. Handy,Okay, that's fair. +10 for your dodge, so you pass. You should revise your post.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:41 pm
by aine
Dodge,(20) [dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
Isolde stumbles over a sudden root and is whipped across the back by a large spiked branch of ash. Luckily her thick clothes protect her from too much damage but she still falls to her knees.
"The druids! This must be their magic or the pixies can control nature! We can't hope to make it through these trees!"

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:00 pm
by Philulhu
Dodge (30%),[dice]0[/dice]
Captain FitzWilliam stepped back shortly, having narrowly missed being hit by a flailing branch. ”Can we go around?!” he asked.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Alexander. "I did bring rope."
OOC,Post edited.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:09 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Could we have a map? I’m trying to get my head around where we are.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:59 am
by Rooter
Dodge,48%[dice]0[/dice]
Damage,[dice]1[/dice]
Percy is nearly knocked out by a flailing branch.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:53 pm
by HoneyDog
Almost as soon as the unnatural attack has started, the trees cease their slaughter and become motionless. The snow is stained with the blood of the dead and wounded.

Several of the men, unable to move quickly enough, have been pierced or impaled upon the branches. One man seems to be standing upright, but on closer inspection this is only because a branch has penetrated his skull and has transfixed him to the spot. Another has been disemboweled, and his intestines glisten wetly in the snow.

The survivors, in a state of shock, begin to panic. Some of the injured men flee, and others, streaming blood from various wounds, stagger after them. Soon, despite entreaties, only six men are left, including the burly farmer and the gypsy man, Reuben Petulengro’s father.

McKenzie is uninjured, but seems catatonic from the attack. Smith tries to help him.

“See to your friend, there!”

He indicates Percy with a nod.
OOC,Percy is down to 7HP; please help him! There's no need for a map - the tor is steep rocky cliffs on all sides, and only slopes enough for walking in the spot where you are now. It's the only practical route up. It flattens out at the top.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:25 pm
by aine
First aid,(30) [dice]0[/dice]
Isolde rushed over to look at Percy but there was too much blood on his scalp for her to see what she could do. "Can anyone else help him? At least get him on the sleigh and keep him warm. The rest of us should push on, I think." She looks rather doubtfully around at the carnage wondering if that was such a good idea.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:27 pm
by Philulhu
First Aid (40%),[dice]0[/dice]
Captain FitzWilliam knelt by Percy and quickly examined his head. ”It’s a scalp wound,” he said, ”It will bleed heavily but looks worse than it actually is!”

He pulled out a large cotton handkerchief and put it on the wound, before pulling his scarf from around his neck and tying it over the handkerchief to hold it in place. ”How do you feel, Mr Stringer?” Captain FitzWilliam asked. ”Do you feel able to carry on?”

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/751264]First Aid recovery[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]2[/b] Percy is up to 9 HP
FitzWilliam manages to stop the bleeding from Percy's scalp. As the companions recover, they witness the carnage around them - bodies hanging in branches, blood running down the boughs of the trees. It is truly awful to behold.

Above, the chanting continues.
OOC,As the full horror becomes apparent, SAN loss is 1/1d4. If you pass, you lose 1 point, if you fail roll 1d4. Please keep check of your SAN, as things will probably get worse.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"What?!" says Alexander, startled. "What?! How...how is this even possible?" The scientific impossibility of what he has just witnessed is more disturbing to him than the death and the gruesome sight, but he recovers quickly. He can search for an explanation later. First they have to stop whatever is happening.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 80) for the carnage: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity is now 79.

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:05 pm
by aine
Sanity,(50) [dice]0[/dice] Sanity now 49
Although the sight was gruesome Isolde found it more fantastical than grisly. This Druid magic was almost to be expected and Isolde was driven to see more examples of supernatural phenomenon even if it meant grave risk to her own life.
"I wish I'd bought a notebook and it's such a shame no one has one of those cameras to record this on!" She says, looking round in horrified amazement.
not needed roll,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:18 pm
by Philulhu
Sanity (45%),[dice]0[/dice] Oh sh*t! :shock: SAN loss = [dice]1[/dice] (43/45) Can’t remember if there’s a further penalty for total and utterly failing your roll... :(

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:32 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I believe a fumble results in losing the full amount of SAN possible; in this case 4.

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:57 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam blinked. For a moment, he was back in the Natal. He could feel the heat on his face as he watched his men cleaning up after Colour Sergeant Evans had blown up a box of grenades along with himself and two young Basuto troopers he had been training. FitzWilliam remembered having to climb the nearby trees to recover enough flesh for a decent Christian burial...

He blinked again and it wasn’t the heat of the sun that reddened his cheeks, it was the biting cold. He looked around at his comrades, his eyes distant. ”Come on,” he said. ”Let’s get them for Sarn’t Evans!”

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:06 pm
by aine
Isolde gives Captain Fitzwilliam a puzzled look but then nods and, with a slightly maniacal gleam in her eye, looks upwards to the tor.

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Alexander, staring grimly at the tor. "Let's get up there and avoid the trees."

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:37 am
by Rooter
SAN,70[dice]0[/dice]
Dazed, Percy stumbles after the others.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:40 pm
by HoneyDog
Although the party is much reduced in numbers, the remaining villagers and gypsies rally and press on, determined to save the children. McKenzie recovers from his stupor and with Smith’s assistance, strides purposefully up the slope. The murderous trees are quiet, their homicidal frenzy abated.

The party reaches the bare crest of the hill, to witness a sight almost beyond human comprehension. For there, cavorting in the light of the great bonfire burning before them, are a vile horde of twisted, deformed abominations. They are like human children in form, yet are horribly twisted, covered in dark, lank hair, with yellowish skin. Many grasp primitive clubs and axes, and all are engaged in what seems to be a rhythmic chant, as they caper and frolic in a most obscene way. The realisation that these creatures must have been the haunting which has plagued Bargrove Manor for the past weeks, and the brutal murderers of Sir William and the newcomers in the village puts a pause into the hearts of the most determined of onlookers.

The object of their attention is a vast shape which rears in the bonfire’s centre. It is a wicker construction with the rough shape of a man, and within it are six children, screaming in fear. The purpose of the bonfire is now very clear.

No notice has been taken yet of our heroic party.
bonfire.jpg
OOC,The sight of these naked, misshapen figures in this horrific scene, and their intentions toward the innocent children is most trying to the senses. All characters have a 2/1d6+2 SAN roll to attend to. Also, roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander shudders when he sees the scene before him. "We have to save the children," he whispers.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 79) for the scene: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity is now 77. Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) at the top of the tor: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:56 pm
by aine
Ooc,sanity (49) [dice]0[/dice] SAN loss: [dice]2[/dice] +2 = 6. Sanity now 43 spot hidden (25)[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:52 pm
by Philulhu
SAN & Spot Hidden,SAN check (41) [dice]0[/dice] SAN loss [dice]2[/dice] Spot Hidden (25%) [dice]1[/dice] Well, [b]FitzWilliam[/b] has seen what there is to see, but that’s probably not much use to him...

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:24 am
by HoneyDog
FitzWilliam,FitzWilliam needs to roll Idea - if it fails he'll avoid temporary insanity.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:14 am
by Philulhu
Idea roll (75%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:07 am
by Rooter
SAN,69[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden,45%[dice]1[/dice]
Percy spots something.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:42 pm
by HoneyDog
FitzWilliam,FitzWilliam now has temporary insanity. You’ll need to roll 1d10+4 (combat rounds) to see how long it lasts, and you can roll 1d10 to determine the nature of the insanity, unless you have your own idea. I think we have to disregard the Spot Hidden roll. It’s a shame this has happened, but it’s in the nature of the game! Perhaps FitzWilliam can still give a good account of himself.
Percy,Percy can see Ursula and Reuben among the children in the wicker man. He also notices that due to the children’s struggles, the wicker figure is swaying slowly – it is obviously unstable and imbalanced. The flames are burning towards it, but they have yet to consume it.
The little people are chanting and moving in unison now, bunching into groups, still fixated upon the flames and the wicker man.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:23 pm
by Philulhu
Temp. Insanity,Duration [dice]0[/dice] My instincts are that [b]FitzWilliam[/b] will revert to what he knows best - being a soldier - and charging into battle without heed for himself.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:33 pm
by aine
"Oh Lord!" Breathes Isolde, "It's not how I imagined it at all. Those things look viscous- goblins- they must be! And they mean to sacrifice the children in that horrid contraption. Look; they are fixated on the fire. We've got to stop them somehow!"

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:54 am
by HoneyDog
Philulhu,Yes, based on his war experiences he might suffer from a homicidal or suicidal mania. What do you think? I'll leave it up to you - it might depend on how attached to the character you are. Please don't post any actions until Percy has spoken though.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Whatever they be, they've got to be stopped," says Alexander. "They're so distracted, we may be able to get closer without being noticed and rescue the children. Whoever's best at sneaking should try that, while the rest of us cover them with our guns."

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:53 am
by Philulhu
HoneyDog,I’d have preferred FitzWilliam to make it through but with 45 SAN that was always going to be a challenge... :roll: He can feel the heat of Africa on in his face again...

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:22 am
by HoneyDog
Philulhu,Sorry, but actually, reading the rules, FitzWilliam has lost 10 SAN in quick succession which puts him into indefinite insanity. It's not going to wear off before the end of the game. You can roll 1d6 to see how many months it would take him to recover, if he should survive.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:42 am
by Philulhu
Honeydog,Ok :( What does that mean in terms of available actions for FitzWilliam? Can he act or is he just overwhelmed by what he has seen?

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 am
by Rooter
"I can see Ursula and Reuben inside the wicker man," Percy points out. "And the cage looks unstable. Perhaps a good push will dislodge it out of harm's way."

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:58 pm
by HoneyDog
Philulhu,I would say just go with what we already discussed, and what you intimated from the prior posts. The situation is perhaps making him relive some past trauma from his service. Maybe he thinks he's back in South Africa, in the midst of some battle or skirmish.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:16 pm
by aine
"At least we've found Ursula but she'll never be the same again after this and really it doesn't matter which children they are we've got to rescue them. And we have to stop the curse too or this will continue happening. But first things first. We must hurry. " She turns quickly to the local men,
"How many children are missing? Is that all of them in the cage or do we need to rescue others too?"

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:57 pm
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam looked upon the scene in abject and uncomprehending horror. Inside, his grasp of reality snapped.

He couldn’t see the snow and the cavorting goblins - in his mind’s eye he could only feel the heat from the Natal sun and see the Zulu impis dancing the Indlamu - their war dance! Their short stature puzzled him momentarily but the drumming was loud in his head - drowning out any doubts he might have.

He looked around him at his now red-coated comrades-in-arms. “Hold that flag high, Ensign!” he ordered Mr Stringer. He looked back at the cavorting goblins and with his gun raised, yelled “For the Staffordshires! For Sarn’t Evans!” and charged into the fray!

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:21 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander & Percy & Isolde,Now the creatures will be aware of your presence – you don’t have much time if you want to save the children! Roll Physics or Idea!
The little people look up in surprise, then anger at the figure of FitzWilliam charging at them. Although terribly outnumbered, some of the villagers and gypsies join him. The little creatures brandish their stone clubs and knives eagerly.
FitzWilliam,Roll 1d100.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander thinks of something.
OOC,My Idea score is actually better. Idea roll (80% stat) to find a way to rescue the children: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:56 am
by Philulhu
OOC,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:27 pm
by aine
Idea,80 [dice]0[/dice]
"He's totally mad!" Isolde exclaims with horror but now is the only chance they'd have to rescue the children.
"Quickly let's get to the cage whilst the Captain creates a diversion!"

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:27 am
by HoneyDog
FitzWilliam launches himself at the small figures, dashing them aside. With surprise on his side, he has the upper hand, but it won’t last for long.

The creatures have been shocked out of their chanting and seem furious, ready for blood.

Alexander and Isolde both see the same thing – a gap has opened up; if someone can get to the wicker man, they should be able to push it over, allowing the children to escape. The rescuer will need to jump through the fire however!
FitzWilliam,Realistically, he is unlikely to survive this encounter - there are too many of the little creatures. He has successfully interrupted their ritual though and has opened an opportunity for the other. How do you feel about this situation?
OOC,A successful Jump roll is needed to clear the flames and push the wicker man.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"If I leap through the flames quickly enough, I can get through," says Alexander. He backs up and gets a running start, then tries to leap over the flames, jumping so that he'll roll as he lands in order to put out his clothes if they catch fire.
OOC,Jump roll (25% base skill) to jump through the fire: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:32 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander makes a mighty leap, and he is able to shove the swaying wicker man so that it topples over, spilling it's cargo of terrified children into the snow. However the impact is harder than expected and sends him off-balance, landing in the edge of the flames, a painful experience.
Alexander,You were very close, but the failure means damage. Roll 1d6 for injury from burns, and POWx5. If you fail, your clothes catch fire.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander is badly burned from the fire, but his precautions barely keep his clothes from igniting.
OOC,Damage from the flames: [dice]0[/dice] POW x 5 roll (80% stat) to avoid my clothes catching fire: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:39 pm
by Rooter
Percy runs to help the children flee. He will gather up Ursula in his arms and carry her if he can, thinking she may be the goblins' main target.

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:50 pm
by aine
Isolde takes one look at the beleaguered Fitzwilliam and then runs after Percy as fast as her skirts allow her.
"Oh well done, Alexander!" She breathes as he makes his silhouetted jump through the fire. She beckons to the children as they clamber from the wreckage of the wicker man.
"This way, quickly!" She calls softly.

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:19 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Let’s assume that Percy picked up Alexander’s shotgun, as he wouldn’t have been able to leap over the fire with it. Please roll Luck

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:02 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam lashed out with his revolver, striking one of the enemy across the face with the barrel and then sending another flying away with his boot. He dispatched a third with a well-aimed shot between the eyes, but they kept coming, these Pygmy warriors, each time he put one down, another appeared in its place!

FitzWilliam was starting to feel the effects of his run up the hill and the fight that followed. He was starting to blow, but still managed to bellow “Rally round, men! We’ll go down fighting for King and country!” before shooting again at one of his assailants.

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:34 am
by Rooter
Luck,70[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander staggers to his feet and helps get the children to safety. He'll worry about treating his burns later.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:42 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry can Isolde and Alexander roll Luck too.

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander is fortunate.
OOC,Luck roll (80% stat): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:35 pm
by aine
Luck,50 [dice]0[/dice]
Isolde not so much.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:52 am
by HoneyDog
Alexander, although in terrible pain, is able to stagger after the others. Smith relieves Percy of a stricken Ursula, and together with the big Gypsy, the farmer, Mckenzie and Isolde, they quickly gather the children and head back through the trees.

Still fighting, the other members of the party are being overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of the creatures. FitzWilliam is seen cursing the monstrosities as he empties his revolver at them.

Most of the party manage to slip away, but Isolde is impeded by rocks, and is noticed. Suddenly, a primitive spear is launched at her. It strikes a glancing blow at her arm, cutting down to the bone.
Isolde,Creature 45: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754002]Thrown spear[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]24[/b] Damage [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754004]Thrown spear damage[/url]: [u]1d6+1[/u] [b]2[/b] Roll POW x5 failure means Isolde stumbles, success she can keep her feet.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:30 pm
by aine
POWx5,45 [dice]0[/dice]
Ouch.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:29 pm
by Philulhu
All to soon, Captain FitzWilliam heard a ‘click’ rather than a ‘bang!’when he pulled the trigger. There was no time to reload, so he quickly reversed his grip to use his pistol as a makeshift club instead, and continued to strike out at those assailants within range. From the corner of his eye, he saw red coats flitting away through the trees and smiled grimly to himself. He knew the odds of getting out of here were slim, but at least the colours were safe and the regiment would fight another day.

Nearby he saw one of his troop stumble as he was struck by a spear which opened a deep wound on his arm. ”On your feet, lad!” he implored, as he fought to get closer to try to lend a hand.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:11 pm
by HoneyDog
Suddenly one of the horrific creatures is upon Isolde. With a hideous grin of pure cruelty, it swings its misshapen hand, tipped with sharp, black, claw-like nails at her face. But in its eagerness to maim, it misjudges the distance and swings short.
Isolde,Creature Claws 35: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754408]Claws[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]83[/b]. Isolde can now attack. A successful hit means that she also has the chance to run, although she can stand and fight if she chooses. I don't believe she has any weapons?
Yet more of the creatures turn on FitzWilliam. He feels a sharp pain in his stomach as a blade of some kind enters his body. Gritting his teeth in agony, he keeps flailing at his assailants.
Alexander & Percy,Have the option of turning back to help Isolde. This may likely result in attacks upon them too, however, so please carefully consider what actions you take.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:00 pm
by aine
Run,[dice]0[/dice]
Isolde stumbles under the wickedly curving claw that swipes the air above her head. Her momentum sends her sliding down a huge granite boulder.

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,How far away are they from us? If I can get my shotgun back from [b]Percy[/b], I could keep my distance and still help. I wouldn't want to get into arms length of these things, especially injured as I am.

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:01 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Just a few meters, although you might risk hitting Isolde if you miss, plus Alexander has an injury of his own which gives him a -20 penalty.

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,If I'm just a few meters away, that should put me at point blank range, which would double my skill. Does the -20 apply before or after my skill is doubled? I'd think it should be after, as it makes no sense for my injury's effects to be doubled when the shot is easier, and in math the order of operations is to do multiplication (and division) before addition (and subtraction).

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:33 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry I’d forgotten about point blank. Okay, penalty can apply after.

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander takes up his shotgun, turns, and fires at the creature posing the most danger to Isolde. His blast is dead accurate and causes massive damage.
OOC,Shotgun roll (60% x2[point blank] -20[injury] = 100% skill) shooting at a creature: [dice]0[/dice] That's an impale! At what point can I fire the second barrel? Damage to creature from impaling 12-gauge shell: [dice]1[/dice] Wow! :shock: That's 37 damage!

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:12 am
by HoneyDog
The shotgun blast completely eviscerates the creature, leaving only a blackened stain in the snow.

The companions run after the children and through the stunted trees, to where the sleigh waits below. The incoherent, squirming children are piled on board and everyone clambers in. McKenzie cracks the reigns, and the terrified horses set off across the snow.

“Ach!” cries McKenzie. “We’re overloaded! It’s gonny be tight!”

Looking back, the companions can see a horde of the creatures streaming out of the wood in pursuit. Their ceremony interrupted, the creatures are furious. The companions fate is obvious if they are caught.

The snow has eased and the moon peers out from behind the clouds, lighting the way. Gritting his teeth, McKenzie urges the frantic horses on.
Drive Sleigh 85 -20,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/754559]Drive sleigh[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]49[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754560]Drive sleigh[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]55[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754561]Drive sleigh[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]57[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/754562]Drive sleigh[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]51[/b]
Luckily, McKenzie’s skills match his determination, and the sleigh begins to outdistance the creatures. In the distance, the sound of bells can be heard, and fires are glimpsed.

“It’s the village!” shouts the farmer. “They’re bringing us home!”

A great howling and wailing begins from the creatures as they realise that their quarry has escaped. McKenzie stops, and looking back, the passengers can see the mass of creatures turn and retreat to Eagle Tor.

“It’s the bells, I wager” says the farmer, with satisfaction. “We’re safe now.”

The sleigh enters the village to cheers, which soon become cries of anguish when it is realized that many of the men who set out will not be returning.

In the days that follow, the companions rest and recover from their wounds, mourning their lost companion, whose sacrifice enabled the disruption of the foul ceremony, and most certainly gave them the chance to escape. Lady Amanda is overjoyed at Ursula’s safe return, but just to be sure, plans an indefinite holiday in France in the company of Josephine, well out of reach of the malignant beings which have preyed upon her family.

But what of the Allingham curse? In her gratitude for the safe return of Reuben, Maria Petulengro agrees to lift the spell which has blighted the Allinghams for generations. The gypsies now forge close bonds with the people of Bargrove, and are always deemed welcome.

The village children will recover in time, but their dreams will no doubt be haunted by their experiences. As a precaution, the church bells are rung regularly, now that the little people have been confirmed to exist. The purpose of their foul ceremony may never be known.

Several months later, a well-armed expedition returns to Eagle Tor. No trace of the fallen is found, but Captain FitzWilliam’s pocket watch is recovered and sent to the society of the Seekers of Enlightenment.

End