Chapter 6: The Death of Lord Bargrove

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Chapter 6: The Death of Lord Bargrove

Post by Rooter »

"We understand that Hob's Field and the standing stone there are associated with devil worship," Percy says. "We thought you would be the local authority on such matters. Can you tell us any specifics, sir?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

“Devil worship?” Sherbrooke recoils in shock.

“Wherever did you hear such claims?”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Isolde gives Percy a 'tutting' look.
"No. Not devil worship at all. We've found historical references to an important druids' grove hereabouts that was used for pagan worship during the Roman times. And to a specific battle when the local legion attempted to banish the druids; and lost. Apparently the druids conjured up goblins from the ground who then attacked the Romans mercilessly.

As the name of Hob's field could be translated as devil or goblin, and that there is an ancient standing stone in the field, we wondered if the two sites were the same.

Also, as Lord Allingham's body was found mutilated on the ancient stone and that his death looked very like an approximation of the ancient three-death pagan sacrifice, we wondered if modern druids may be using the site for similar purposes.

The local people have been warned off this field and won't talk about it, his Lordship was warned against ploughing it, you must have heard about this as a historian; are the locals afraid of an ancient legend or is the warning a modern development; maybe from people who wish to use the field for sinister purposes?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I need a luck roll from Alexander.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alexander is fortunate.
OOC,Luck roll (80% stat) at the church: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Sherbrooke laughs, seemingly relieved.

“Oh dear!” he exclaims to Percy. “You gave me quite a turn! Yes, of course I know about the stories of the druids and the Ninth Legion. Did you know that Bargrove is probably a variation on ‘Burnt Grove’? I don’t know about the Druids being in league with goblins though.”

He stops a moment and thinks.

“It does remind me though of something I heard from a villager about that stone though” he continues. “Understand that in many rural communities, probably throughout the world, there are local areas which are, how do you say nowadays – tabu – and Hob’s Field is one of them. It’s always been shunned by the village, for no specific reason, mostly just superstition. But that’s why no-one was willing to help Sir William develop the field or remove the stone.”

He pauses. “Where was I? Oh yes. Well, the villager I mentioned related to me a story passed down from a grandmother I think, that apparently a troupe of pixies was seen dancing around the stone at dawn one morning. When they saw that they were being observed, the Wee Folk opened a door in the stone and ran into it. The person apparently was shortly after struck blind; a punishment no doubt for observing what they should not have seen. Yes, its stories like this which make the villagers wary of that place.” He chuckles to himself.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”That might explain why the villagers refused to help or even why it caused bad blood, but that’s a long way from killing someone,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”I think we need to talk to the workers that his lordship brought to the village to see what they have to say.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Pixies, goblins; maybe the stone is a doorway to faeryland. Like in Childe Rolande." Isolde looks at their faces, "I'm joking!" 'Mostly.' She thinks to herself. "The villager who told you this story, are they still alive? Otherwise could you tell us where the newcomers live, or work?" Isolde asks the Reverend.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Whoever murdered Lord Allingham clearly wasn't afraid to set foot in that field," says Alexander. "Not only that, but did you know that someone stood that stone up again later?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“No” Sherbrooke tells Isolde. “I heard that story a long time ago. I hadn’t thought about it until just now. As to who re-erected the stone, which is common knowledge in the village, nobody seems to know. Obviously, it adds to people’s feelings about the place and they feel that mysterious forces are at work. You can talk to the newcomers, I don’t know what they can tell you.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Rooter »

Percy nods. "Thank you for your assistance, Reverend."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Yes, thank you, Reverend. You’ve been most helpful,” said Captain FitzWilliam.

”Could you point us in the direction of the newcomers?”
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The newcomer's cottages are just on the outskirts of the village. Formerly the homes of older tenants, they are smaller than the other houses in the village, but nonetheless are in good repair.

As the companions approach they can see a few men dressed in simple clothing standing outside one of the cottages. They are smoking and talking together. They look on curiously as the society draws nearer.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam stepped forward.

”Good afternoon,” he said. ”We are here on behalf on Lady Allingham, in relation to the death of her husband. May we speak with you?”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isolde smiles encouragingly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, we were hoping you may have seen something or have some insight," says Alexander, so that they don't get the impression that they are under suspicion.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The men look a bit wary, but do not object.

“From Lady Allingham? Is there any news about Lord Allingham’s murder?” asks one. “We’ve already been questioned by the police, and we told them we don’t know anything.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm afraid we don't know who the killer or killers are yet," says Alexander. "I'm curious about the stone where he was found. What equipment did you use to bring it down? Could someone have used it to raise the stone again?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“We just dug around it and pulled it down with ropes” says another man. “It weren’t so hard, the stone didn’t go so deep. I don’t know about standing it up again though, that would take a lot of work.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”What have the local people said to you about the stone?” asked Captain FitzWilliam.

Return to “The Burnt Man”