Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

December 1880. The characters are tasked to assist in the case of a suspected haunting by a recently murdered landowner on Dartmoor. Investigations will drag them into a confrontation with an ancient horror, and a terrible curse.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Re: Chapter 4: Bargrove Hall

Post by Rooter »

Percy,[b]Percy[/b] retraces his steps but before rejoining the others he seeks out one of the serving staff and inquires to whom the bedroom on the right (the one where he saw the books) belongs.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Raiko »

The Attic,[color=#fF0040]"I'm sorry, I slept in that room, but apart from that I don't know which room is which,"[/color] [b]Melody [/b]replies. Hoping that someone else is up here, she calls out, [color=#fF0040]"Hello!"[/color]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Percy,Luckily, [b]Percy[/b] comes across [b]Howard[/b], who is searching for the companions. He is informed that the bedroom in question is the master bedroom, belonging to [b]Her Ladyship[/b].
Hearing the buzz of conversation, Howard climbs the stairs to the attic and finds the companions.

"My apologies for my prolonged absence" he bows. "Luncheon will be served from midday, so perhaps you would like to take some time to refresh yourselves beforehand. I trust your investigations are proceeding smoothly" he adds neutrally.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Yes, indeed," Percy replies, having followed the butler. "By the way, there's a room that looks like a study at the end of the corridor which has been recently covered in sheets. Would that be the late Lordship's?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“That’s correct, sir” acknowledges Howard. “It is no longer needed, sadly. His Lordship’s personal effects were removed to the care of Her Ladyship.”
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

”May we take a look anyway?” asked Captain FitzWilliam.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"The rest of the floor is just bedrooms and bathrooms," Percy adds for the others' benefit, before he heads off to get ready for lunch.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, it wouldn't hurt to have a look round," says Alexander.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by aine »

Isolde meets the others at the foot of the attic stairs, "Josephine didn't take any hints about having a quiet talk, maybe her English isn't good enough. She certainly isn't going to open up with Ursula around so we'll have to try her after lunch. Did you find anything interesting in the attic?"
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Not much as yet,” replied Captain FitzWilliam, as he headed down the stairs and off towards his room to freshen up before lunch.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We were just about to examine His Lordship's old study," says Alexander, knowing that she'd probably be interested in that. No doubt she thought that his spirit was tied to the place.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Howard leads the way back to what was once Sir William’s study. It is dominated by a large desk, and hunting trophies line the wall. The furniture is mostly covered.

“The desk had been covered, but one morning we found the sheet ripped into pieces” Howard tells the group. “That is the only disturbance which has been observed in this room.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"An excellent suggestion!" Isolde says to Alexander as they are ushered to the study. "I assume His Lordship was typical of land owners where hunting and fishing are concerned?" She asks Howard as she looks at the hunting trophies. "And his desk, has it been touched since his death? Papers and such sorted? Oddments thrown away? And where is the sheet? Maybe we can deduce what made the tears!" She says as an aside to the others.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Aye, capital idea," says Alexander. He examines the hunting trophies with admiration. "I've done a wee bit of hunting myself, but clearly not as much as His Lordship."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“The personal items deemed worth keeping were put away after his death, and all papers are in the hands of Lady Amandasays Howard. “There seemed no reason to keep the sheet; it was torn, we don’t know by whom”.

He checks his watch.

“Lunch should be served soon. Can we expect you in the dining room?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, aye," says Alexander. "I am starting to get peckish."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Captain FitzWilliam nodded. He was already on his way downstairs.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

After washing the companions return to the dining room for a lunch of game bird and vegetables. Melody meanwhile takes her lunch again in the kitchen with the other servants.

Lady Amanda, Ursula and Josephine are already waiting along with Percy who arrived early. The atmosphere seems to be one of quiet expectation.

“I presume that you have familiarized yourselves with the house?” enquires Lady Amanda once everybody is seated. “May I ask what impressions you have gathered?”
Melody,In attendance with [b]Melody[/b] are again the coachman [b]McKenzie[/b], [b]Smith[/b] the gardener, and assorted other servants. [color=#4000BF]“Find anything interesting, Miss?”[/color] asks [b]McKenzie[/b]. [color=#4000BF]“I don’t suppose you’ve got to the bottom of our little mystery?”[/color]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll let the others speak to their impressions of the supernatural," says Alexander, "seeing as they know more than I about that. We've looked at the scenes of the disturbances, but of course they had all been cleaned. It might be of aid if the next time something like that happens, the scene remain undisturbed until we've had a chance to examine it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Lady Allingham," says Isolde,
"I am of the same mind as Doctor Campbell. With all the evidence cleared up after each disturbance there is very little for us to analyse.
I would like to venture a suggestion that we hold watches tonight and maybe see something first hand. And Lady Allingham it is also possible for us to..." Isolde looks at young Ursula and changes her mind about what she was about to say.
"We would also like to look at where, ur, on the moor, speak to the men involved, visit the village and the graveyard." Again looking at Ursula. "There is still much to be done."

Return to “The Burnt Man”