Page 1 of 1

Chapter 5: Further Investigations

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:08 pm
by HoneyDog
Friday December 17th,

Bargrove Hall

The companions awaken later than usual and breakfast at 10am. The landscape outside is frozen with the frost laying heavy on the ground. The sky is a cold, leaden grey.

After washing, breakfast is served. Although she has already eaten, Lady Amanda is present, and takes her coffee with the companions. Although Ursula and Josephine are not present, Amanda fills in some more of the details from last night.

Ursula couldn’t remember any specific details” she says. “She only remembers the man, burning. She could feel the heat of the flames. There was screaming.”

Amanda rubs her brow with worry. “Oh, my poor girl” she moans. “Please!” she entreats the companions. “I fear for her. Please help us!”

After a moment where she looks on the verge of panic, her usual self reemerges and she manages to calm herself. “Did you learn anything else from last night?” she asks.
Melody,Melody meanwhile does not get the luxury of a lie-in. She is up with Smith and breakfasts at the house before assisting her master. This gives her a chance to question the staff as to what might have happened during the night.

Re: Chapter 5: Further Investigations

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:03 am
by Philulhu
”I believe that we all experienced some kind of ‘phenomena’ last night, but as to what it means, perhaps Miss Beauchamp might interpret?” said Captain FitzWilliam.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"The only unusual thing I observed from the study was a sort of moaning sound coming from the hall," says Alexander. "I lit a candle and went to look, but nobody was there. It could just have been the wind."

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am
by Philulhu
”That’s possible, Mr Stringer,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”But I doubt that it was wind that turned the door handle.”

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:45 pm
by aine
"Isolde pushes her plate of kippers to the side. "This is often how it manifests as I said last night; small disturbances, one after the other, last night the back door, the door handle and the moaning all culminating in some bigger manifestation.

Unfortunately last night this occurred in Ursula's bedroom as a vision, a particularly painful and worrying vision." Isolde looks at Lady Amanda in sympathy. "And also unfortunately, none of us were on the spot, I do worry that even our presence here may be disrupting the usual paranormal energy lines but one night is not enough to be sure.

However, the good news is that I think we have one conclusion from last night; the disturbances to Ursula and the household are tied to the death of Lord Allingham. Else how can Ursula have a vision of such accuracy unless she was there at the time."

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:01 am
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda’s eyes widen in surprise. “But Ursula was with me when it happened! She couldn’t have witnessed her father’s murder!”

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, that's a blessing, at least," says Alexander. "Of course, children can have very strong imaginations. When we dream, our minds conjure up things we've never seen."

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:23 pm
by Rooter
"Quite so," Percy agrees. "The disturbing manner of this particular death is enough to give anyone nightmares. Tortured and burned alive? Dare I say there is an almost savage, ritualistic aspect to such an act? Country folk such as inhabit this village of yours are likely to hold strange beliefs and rituals even in these modern times."

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:08 pm
by aine
"Quite so, Mr Stringer. Maybe it is about time these villagers were investigated, seeing as they seem to be the most likely suspects. Apparently." Isolde starts to put marmalade on her toast. "And there is still a lot of research to cover in the library."

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:24 pm
by HoneyDog
”The carriage is at your disposal whenever you require” says Amanda.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,How much of the book I found yesterday have I been able to read, or at least skim?

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:24 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Unless you specified your character read the books, I’m assuming they didn’t. They can use the time now, but that will reduce the available time in the village and surrounding area. But that’s okay, you can always make a return visit .

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:00 pm
by Philulhu
”Let us visit the village this morning, then,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”Whether the villagers will want to talk to us is another matter, given the antipathy between them and his Lordship, but let us hope that his death will stir some feelings of guilt that might make some of them open up.”

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Alexander. "I can always read that book I found during tonight's watch."

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm
by aine
"I rather feel that if we all troop down to the village we are liable to scare all the villagers mum. Either Melody and I try talking to the women separately while you men visit the pub or I and anyone else stay here and read the books and just a couple visit the village." Isolde looks to the head of the table, " Thank you for the loan of the carriage, Lady Allingham. Do you have anything more modest in which to travel to the village?"

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:06 am
by HoneyDog
“I’m afraid that is all we have” replies Amanda. “I will have McKenzie prepare the carriage.” She nods to a servant, who leaves the room.
OOC,There will no doubt be lots of talking in the village and some interesting information to find out – if some of you don’t go, you might have less opportunities to take part!

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:47 am
by Rooter
"Capital," Percy says. "And don't worry, Miss Isolde; I'm a professional journalist. Nobody can resist the chance to reveal all in print. These villagers will be telling us their life stories in no time."

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can read at night," says Alexander. "All I'll need then is a candle, though one day we'll use electric lights instead. I can only visit the village during the day. Besides, once I talk to people, I'll better know what to look for in the book."

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:33 am
by Philulhu
Rooter wrote:"Capital," Percy says. "And don't worry, Miss Isolde; I'm a professional journalist. Nobody can resist the chance to reveal all in print. These villagers will be telling us their life stories in no time."
”If I may make a suggestion, Mr Stringer,” said Captain FitzWilliam, ”Rather than trying to illicit their life stories, then perhaps you could focus on the ‘oppressed in country’ angle, which might make them open up about why they disliked Lord Allingham?”

He turned to Lady Allingham. ”My apologies, your ladyship, but focusing on why they so disliked your late husband might encourage them to loosen their tongues.”

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:26 pm
by Raiko
Melody:

After a disappointing and completely uneventful night watching the graveyard, Melody is surprised to hear the servants gossiping of the night-time disturbances during breakfast.
OOC,Sorry, apart from barely keeping up with my own Mask game, I've had no time to post last week. I have kept an eye on this thread, but after me thinking that she might be dead-meat spending the night observing the graveyard alone, Melody ended up peripheral to the story. I've generally taken care to avoid reading anything that Melody isn't privy to, but I did catch enough from glances of non-spoiler tagged posts to know that the servants were awoken, but probably didn't actually witness too much? Things are much quieter at work this week, so I should be able to post at full speed again.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:03 pm
by HoneyDog
Melody,The servants are full of gossip about Ursula's nightmare, but are quickly shutdown by Mrs. Beddowes who will have no idle chitchat. Melody does hear one thing however, an aside from a female servant: [color=#BF0080]“Looks like the sins of the father, if you ask me.”[/color] She is unable to find out anything more though. Mrs. Beddowes and Howard have a tight rein on things. Soon it is time to rejoin the others. [ooc]Yes sorry, Melody might want to stay inside next time. Don’t worry about the posting, but bring her to the village for more fun.[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:33 pm
by aine
"That's settled then, we should go as soon as possible to make the most of the daylight." Once they are away from her Ladyship Isolde says to the others, "My only worry is that if we arrive in his Lordship's carriage the villagers will think we are working with Lady Allingham and may be reticent with any information."

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:33 pm
by Philulhu
”I’m not averse to walking,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”We could ask the driver to drop us off before we get to the village and then walk the rest of the way.”

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"What about that sleigh?" asks Alexander. "Could we take that?"

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 am
by Rooter
"Won't word that we are guests of her ladyship have already reached the village?" Percy chips in. "Servants are wont to gossip, after all."

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:35 am
by Philulhu
”That may depend if the antipathy of the villagers towards the family extends to their staff as well!” said Captain FitzWilliam.

He turned to Melody. ”Miss Melody, have any of the servants spoken about any relationships with the village? I expect that some members of the staff may have been employed locally.”

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:26 pm
by aine
"Either way we must emphasise our neutrality in this affair with justice for all as our aim. Along with investigating the paranormal of course!" Isolde smiles and then turns, interested in what Melody has discovered about the staff.

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm
by HoneyDog
Once the companions are ready, they set off in the carriage with McKenzie driving. It is a bitterly cold day and the freezing wind whips across the moors, subduing the occupants of the carriage, who huddle in their furs and winter coats.

McKenzie confirms Percy’s suspicion that the villagers probably know about the companions’ presence at Bargrove Hall. It is slow going on the frozen road, but the village is visible after about twenty minutes. It nestles at the foot of the hill on which the manor house stands.
OOC,I'll give a short time in which you can talk to McKenzie if you wish.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"D'ye ken any of the villagers well, McKenzie?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:51 am
by HoneyDog
“Nae, Doctor replies McKenzie. “Ah hae the occasional beer in the tavern, but the ma’m dinnae approve of us mixing too close with the villagers.”

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:53 pm
by Rooter
"Fortunately we shall not have that problem," Percy says. "The tavern sounds a likely place to begin our inquiries."

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:10 pm
by aine
Isolde just snuggles deeper into her fur, already she can feel the cold seeping big in.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:08 am
by HoneyDog
There are a number of houses visible and as they approach McKenzie starts to announce some facts.

“Boot a hunnerd folks live here” he says. “Yon is the schoolhouse.” He indicates a large building which looks just like a village schoolhouse in the companions’ imaginations. A modest stone church is off to the right. “St. George’s” says McKenzie.

Soon they reach the village green. A few locals can be seen eyeing them curiously, but there is no hostility visible and they greet McKenzie in a friendly manner.

A building bearing a post office sign stands behind the companions as they look around. On the right of the green is the village pub, bearing a sign which declares it to be the ‘Bull and Bear’.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we gentlemen go to the pub first, as Miss Beauchant suggested?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:00 am
by Rooter
Percy readily agrees.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:04 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,The ladies can join too, the pub isn't out of bounds for them.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:42 pm
by Philulhu
”A wee nip might help us better bear the cold,” replied Captain FitzWilliam, and he lead the way towards the public house.
OOC,Is it late enough in the day for the pub to be open?

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:34 pm
by HoneyDog
“Aye, well, ah’ll leave the carriage here and be here aboots on mah ain business” states McKenzie.

Opening the door of The Bull and Bear, the investigators are greeted by a simply furnished but cosy traditional village inn. It is decorated with pictures of country life, and a trophy cabinet contains awards for the village cricket team. There are only a few locals present at this early hour, mainly crowded around the roaring fire.

Behind the bar stands a stout, cheerful-looking woman in her 40s greets the companions warmly.

“What can I get for you?” she asks.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd like a beer and some gossip, please," says Alexander to the woman with a smile.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:58 am
by HoneyDog
“Gossip!” she guffaws. “You’ll be the folks staying at Bargrove Manor, then? Welcome to Bargrove sir!”

She fetches a glass and begins to pour some ale.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, that's right," says Alexander. "Thank ye kindly. I'm Dr. Alexander Campbell. Doctor of Science, not Medicine."

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:35 am
by HoneyDog
“Very nice” says the woman. “I’m Peggy Ashburn. I run this establishment. I believe you folks are looking into the death of Lord Bargrove?”

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye, right again," says Alexander. "What have ye heard about it?"

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:37 am
by HoneyDog
“Heard?” says Peggy sternly. “I haven’t heard anything, since it was nothing to do with any of us. That family is cursed, are you not aware of that fact?”

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:28 pm
by Philulhu
”We’re not here to blame anyone,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”We are just trying to establish the circumstances leading up to his death. To be honest, we are at a bit of a loss to explain it.”

He pulled out a pound note. ”Perhaps I might buy some drinks and then ask a few more questions?”

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alexander lets the captain take the lead.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:55 am
by HoneyDog
"Of course you can buy some drinks" says Peggy, taking the money. "But I don't know if I can give you any answers to your questions."

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 am
by Rooter
"Then perhaps you know someone who can, madam?" Percy asks. "Who in the village can perhaps tell us a little of the history of the strange occurrences involving Bargrove Hall?"

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
“Well” says Peggy, “the Allinghams are cursed. No son lives past his fortieth birthday, and the present lordship was no exception. It’s tragic but it’s been that way for years. There wasn’t anything Sir William could do to outlive his destiny.”

She pauses.

"If you like, the reverend, Reverend Sherbrooke, he knows a fair bit about local history. Don't think he was a friend of Sir William though. That man wan't capable of having friends, in my opinion."

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

Thank you," says Alexander. "He sounds like just the one we need to talk to."

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Do you want to move to the Reverend's?

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, please.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:41 am
by Rooter
OOC,OK.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:09 pm
by HoneyDog
Finishing their drinks and leaving the pub, the companions make the short walk over to St. George's, whose presence dominates the village. Next door to the church is a pretty little cottage which is obviously the vicarage. Knocking at the door, the investigators are greeted by a small woman in late middle age, who peers at them curiously through her eyeglasses.

“May I help you?” she enquires.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aye," says Alexander with a smile. "I'm Dr. Alexander Campbell. Is the Reverend in, by any chance?"

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:28 pm
by HoneyDog
“I most certainly am!” comes a cheerful voice from inside the house. An elderly man wearing a vicar’s collar appears from another room. “You must be the party from the hall! Come in. come in! Miss Pringle, put some tea on for our guests!”

Rev. Sherbrooke looks very pleased at the visitation. He ushers the companions inside and directs them to the sitting room, fussing over seating arrangements. Miss Pringle, his housekeeper, busies herself with making refreshments.

Once everyone is seated and introduced the Reverend regards them eagerly.

“You must forgive my enthusiasm” he states, “but we are a small community, and I rarely see new faces. Fifty years is a long time to spend in one place! At least one gets used to it. Now, no doubt you want to interrogate me as to the awful events we have seen recently! A most tragic affair! Pray tell me, what are your deductions as to this point?”

He regards the investigators keenly.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:57 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Sadly few," says Alexander, "but we're just getting started. We've heard tell of the curse, but I'm a man of science. I have a healthy skepticism about such things. Still, curse or no, one thing is clear: 'twas a man killed Sir William. Or possibly a woman, but a man is more likely. Or there could be more than one murderer. We know rather little, which is why we've come to you, as you must know much of what happens here."

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:23 am
by Raiko
Melody is the last to take a seat, unsure whether she should remain standing. She smiles warmly when she receives her cup of tea.

"Thank you."
OOC,Should be back to normal for a good few weeks now. Caught up on the posts, so I'll post every day I hope.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:51 pm
by aine

"Oo, it's lovely and warm in here!"
Isolde starts to unwrap and happily takes a cup of tea, become more alive by the minute.

"Well, a curse is still a viable option; we are keeping an open mind!" She looks at Alexander with a smile.
"But Dr. Campbell is right; it seems likely that the actually murder was done by a man or men. Maybe they were influenced by the curse. That is why we have come to see you, Reverend, because not only do you know the latest news but you are also an expert in the local history; if anyone knows about the curse, it must be you!"

Isolde smiles happily at Reverend Sherbrooke.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:35 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Welcome back!
“That’s unfortunate” Sherbrooke says to Alexander. “To be frank, I cannot speculate about the murderer. His identity remains a mystery to me, and I’m quite sure none of the locals, including our recent additions, could have committed such an atrocious act.”

He addresses the group, while winking at Alexander.

“I’m a man of God myself, and so I don’t go in for such tales as curses and so forth. Our time on this earth is decided by forces more powerful than us, but those forces reside in Heaven. Oh, the villagers have their superstitions, and you’ll hear plenty about the Allingham curse. You’re aware of its origins, I presume?”

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, aye," says Alexander. "We've done some research into the matter. It's to do with the killing of a gypsy lad in 1640. His mother supposedly placed a curse on the lord at that time and on all his male descendants, so that they would all die before the age of forty. From what we've seen so far, it seems that they all have."

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:25 am
by HoneyDog
"That’s very true" says the Reverend. “All have perished, although generally not in such a dramatic manner. Still, the Lord works in mysterious ways.”

He sips his tea and pecks at a biscuit.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 am
by Rooter
"Are you aware of anyone of Gypsy descent still residing in the local area, sir?" Percy inquires.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:08 pm
by HoneyDog
“Oh, no gypsies living here, but they are often travelling through the area. They tend not to come to the village unless it’s absolutely necessary. Perhaps one day they might come to services, but I doubt it!” He winks at Percy.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've heard there was some disagreement between the late Lord Allingham and some of the villagers," says Alexander. "Some of them did not like his proposed innovations."

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 am
by HoneyDog
The Reverend nods his head slowly.

Sir William, God rest his soul, was universally disliked I’m afraid. It’s true that he wanted the farms to become more efficient, but that perhaps placed an unfair burden on the locals. The land here is poor, it always has been, and many felt he was being unreasonable in his demands. Evicting the older workers from their cottages made many people quite angry. Yes, there was a lot of ill-feeling towards him.”

He sips his tea. “His somewhat heavy-handed manner didn’t help his cause very much. He could be quite dismissive of those from a lower social standing than himself.”

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did his Lordship's opponents have someone in particular leading or speaking for them?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 am
by HoneyDog
“There was no organized opposition to Sir William. More of a general discontent.”

Sherbrooke chuckles.

“If you’re thinking of some kind of insurrection, Doctor, you’re very mistaken. The villagers would go along with the decisions of the landowners. By and large, they are tenant farmers, and so are legally obligated to the landowner.”

He shakes his head. “It would have had to be something much more drastic to provoke a rebellion. Actually, most of the villagers’ direct ire was taken out on the newcomers.”

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 am
by Rooter
"You mentioned these new additions to the village before," Percy says. "Who are they?"

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
“Yes I did, didn’t I?” says the Reverend. He is obviously enjoying himself. Miss Pringle hovers in the background.

“In order to increase efficiency and productivity, Sir William hired some workers from outside the village. Unfortunately, he housed them in the very cottages the elderly residents had been living in, and they were obliged to seek refuge with family members. So, as you might imagine, this has caused a fair bit of resentment and bad feeling. There have even been a few instances of fighting in the pub. I try to calm things from my pulpit and preach the gospel of brotherly love, but I’m afraid their presence is still not tolerated very much. I’m afraid my oratory powers are not as they once were.”

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm
by aine
'Ot is difficult to listen to words when the very roof over your head is taken away and given to a stranger! I'm afraid I side with the villagers on this one but it does make them prime suspects with such a motive.'
Isolde then lowers her voice,

'Reverend, it is not uncommon up here on the moors for the local people to practice arcane arts; sacrificing the occasional cockerel and such. Have you ever heard of such a thing in this village? I appreciate It is a difficult subject."

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander listens with interest, refraining from mentioning the possible efficiency gains of using machines. That no doubt would have upset the villagers as well, as it might have put some them out of work.

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:29 am
by HoneyDog
Sherbrooke almost spits out his tea, and Miss Pringle raises her hands in shock.

“Absolutely not!” gasps Sherbrooke. “I’ll admit they’re superstitious and have some quite arcane beliefs, but these are God-fearing folk! They would never do such things.”

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 am
by Rooter
"In that case would you say these newcomers - who may not be god-fearing folk - ought to be under suspicion?" Percy ventures. "You must admit the manner of Lord Bargrove's death was far from ordinary."

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:25 pm
by HoneyDog
The Reverend shakes his head firmly. “They’re just ordinary workers; good, honest Dorset folk. There's nothing untoward about them and they attend services regularly. Their presence is just upsetting for the villagers, because of the reasons I mentioned.”

“Of course” concedes Sherbrooke, “there was something... almost pagan, about the manner of Sir William’s death. Burning him like that. Were you informed of the details?”

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We're not aware of the full details, no," says Alexander. "We know he was burned, but not much more than that. What more can you tell us?"

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:28 am
by HoneyDog
“I was hoping you’d be able to tell me” says Sherbrooke, looking disappointed. Constable Hallifax knows, of course. He’s the police for these parts. You might see him around the village, otherwise the police station is over in Princetown.”
Everyone,A Luck roll from Isolde will be needed to locate Hallifax, otherwise you will have to go to Princetown to talk to him.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Reverend," says Alexander. "We'll be sure to talk to him. And once he tells us, then we'll be able to fill you in. Aside from the new workers, and excepting ourselves of course, have there been any other visitors recently?"

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:55 am
by HoneyDog
"Oh no" says Sherbrooke.

Miss Pringle shakes her head, and joins the conversation for the first time.

"There hasn't been anyone except for the same old faces".

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:32 pm
by Raiko
Melody, who has been observing the conversation quietly so far asks, "Reverand, is there anyone in the village who had a soft spot for Sir William, despite the evictions?"

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:25 pm
by aine
Luck,(50%) roll:29
Isolde looks at Melody "Yes, of course, or any young women that may have taken Lord Allingham's particular fancy?'

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 am
by HoneyDog
Miss Pringle shakes her head emphatically.

”No my dears” says Sherbrooke. Sir William would most definitely not have associated with anyone he did not consider to be of the same social standing as himself. He had no friends here, you can be sure of that.”

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"It seems the murderer - or murderers - must be local to the village, then," says Alexander. "Is there anyone you know of who is capable of murder?"

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 am
by HoneyDog
Sherbrooke shakes his head.

”It must be someone from Bargrove. But I’ve known all of these people for years, and none of them seem capable of it. It’s truly mystifying.”

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:43 am
by aine
Isolde thinks for a moment and then says,
"Reverend, going back to the curse, all the heirs have died before they were forty. Now I'm sure some might have died from natural reasons but, from your historical research, do you know which ones died in mysterious or unatural circumstances?'

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
The Reverend thinks for a moment.

“That’s a very interesting question, dear lady” he eventually responds. “To be frank, to die before you’re aged forty is quite unnatural for a man in this day and age, so strictly speaking, all of the deaths are a little unusual. Of course, going back a bit, illnesses would and still sometimes do take us perhaps a little unexpectedly, although of course Our Lord has His reasons. But the recent deaths are all attributable to misfortune other than illness.”

He looks thoughtful. “I don’t believe in Gypsy curses, but at the very least we must admit that the Allinghams are an extremely unlucky family.”

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 am
by Philulhu
”Was there any patterns to the misfortunes that befell the Allingham men?” asked Captain FitzWilliam, who had been sitting quietly, taking it all in.
OOC,Have we visited the site of Lord Allingham’s death?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"What about the new workers?" asks Alexander. "You'd ken them by now, though not as well as someone who's lived here all his life. Granted, they should appreciate Lord Allingham for giving them jobs and housing, but it's possible one of them may have some unknown motive. How long have they been here?"

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm
by aine
Isolde frowns,
"These misfortunes, are they natural ones such as falling into a bog or could they be construed as more man-made. I wish we could have a list of them all. There must be records, Reverend Shelbrook?"

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Philulhu,Welcome back.
OOC,You covered all this stuff about the Allingham deaths in London. As for the murder scene, you're free to visit it.
The Reverend begins to look bewildered at the barrage of questions.

“I’m sorry”, he stammers, “I’m not an expert on the Allingham family. And as for the workers, they’ve been here a couple of months. I don’t know if they have any private grievances!”

Miss Pringle comes into the centre of the room. “I’m very sorry everyone” she announces, “but it’s time for us to prepare for evening vespers. Please, the Reverend needs a rest until then. It’s been very nice having you all.”

She nods her head politely as she indicates the door.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your hospitality," says Alexander rising to his feet. "We'll be off then. Maybe we can find the constable out and about."

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
“Do call again if you learn something!” calls the Reverend.

Outside the church, the shadows are beginning to lengthen as the sun begins to sink in the cold, leaden sky. It is cold, and a biting wind blows off the moors.

As they stand, pondering their next move, the companions can see a muffled figure riding a bicycle by the village green. The person wears a policeman’s helmet. Luckily, he is heading their way.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:23 pm
by Rooter
Percy waves to get the policeman's attention.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:34 am
by HoneyDog
The bicycle pulls to a stop and the policeman pulls off his scarf to reveal a pale but windburnt face. He is a fairly big middle-aged man, with a shock of red hair under his helmet.

“’Ello ‘ello, what’s all this then?” he says in a business-like manner.
OOC,Hallifax is unlikely to be impressed by any of your characters apart from Captain Fitzwilliam. Persuading him to reveal any official reports or information will require a successful Credit Rating, Debate or Law roll.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good evening, Constable," says Alexander. "I'm Dr. Alexander Campbell. My friends and I are guests of Lady Allingham. She's asked us to look into her late husband's murder, and you'd be the best one to talk to. I'm sure you know more details than anyone else - except the murderer, that is."
OOC,There is no Debate skill. Will Persuade do? If not, I can use Credit Rating, which barely succeeds. Persuade roll (60% skill) to convince the constable: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:46 pm
by HoneyDog
“Ah, yes” says the Constable. “I’ve heard about you ladies and gentleman. You’re looking into the murder too, then? Well, please don’t interfere with the official investigation.”
OOC,Sorry, I meant Persuade. Mr. Handy’s roll succeeded, so please supply a convincing reason why he should help you and then you’ll get something out of him.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 pm
by aine
"Goodness it's cold now, how utterly horrid! I'll leave the policeman to you gentlemen, I can't bear to stay outside in this wind." Utters Isolde from the depts of a quickly wrapped fur muffler. She looks this way and that for the carriage while the men talk to the Constance.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't dream of it," says Alexander. "In fact, we can be of great help to each other, as we all want the same thing. Solving this murder is a lot to ask of one man, but with all of us, we can cover more ground. Your inside information of the village and its environs will be critical, and our status as outsiders may get people to share things with us that they'd be reluctant to tell you. If we pool our information and our resources, we can work together to bring the murderer - or possibly murderers - to justice."

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:25 am
by HoneyDog
The carriage is still parked by the Village Green, and Isolde heads towards it.

Hallifax ponders Alexander’s request a long time, his hand on his chin. Finally he says,

“That makes a lot of sense. But its better that you come to the station in Princetown. You never know who might be listening here”. His voice drops as he says this.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:15 am
by Rooter
"Certainly, we have a carriage at our disposal," Percy replies. "Though we were hoping to visit the site of the incident."

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:20 pm
by Philulhu
”Perhaps there is the opportunity to do both?” interjected Captain FitzWilliam. ”We could offer you a lift, Constable? Or might that cause you problems with the villagers?”

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:29 pm
by HoneyDog
Hallifax shakes his head and points to the sky.

"The sun is going down and the locals think there will be a storm tonight. I suggest you return to Bargrove Hall and come and see me tomorrow. I can take you to the site of the murder afterwards.”

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:13 pm
by Philulhu
”Very well,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”We shall call to see you tomorrow.”

He turned to rest of the party. ”Shall we return to the hall, or is there anything else we need to do in the village?”

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Alexander. "Thank you, Constable. We'll come to the station in the morning." He nods to his companions. "I think we've done everything we can do here today. We'll know more what avenues to pursue after our meeting tomorrow."

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:05 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I can move the action back to Bargrove Hall. What are your plans for the evening?

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,After supper, we should organize another watch for the night. I'd like to read the book I found during my watch.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:21 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Sounds like a plan.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Okay, unless anyone has any other thoughts, I'll set that up tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm
by aine
"And now a storm to top it off!" Grumbles Isolde, "It's been a while since the incident so I don't suppose a storm will make any more damage to the location. We might as well head back to the hall. A stormy night is always good for paranormal investigation; the electrical charges are much heightened ."

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:08 am
by HoneyDog
Under a sky which is growing dark with rainclouds, the companions return to Bargrove Hall, huddled against the cold. When they return there is time to relax before dinner, and Isolde and Alexander take the time to look through the books they found in the library.
Isolde,There is only one entry in Isolde’s book which seems a little unusual: [attachment=0]History of Bargrove.pdf[/attachment]
Alexander,[b]Alexander’s[/b] book on the [b]Allinghams[/b] details the rise and fall of that family from around the time of the 4th Crusade which took Byzantium in 1204, on through successive generations. After the battle [b]Allingham[/b] was knighted, and the family began to flourish. However in 1642 a shadow fell over the family line. The death of [b]Sir Montague[/b], referred to in the book as a ‘hot-blooded rogue’, marked the first male to fall victim to the curse. A sizable portion of the book deals with the curse and its effects, but it is plain that the deaths follow no particular pattern. According to the book, [b]Sir Montague[/b] apprehended a gypsy boy in the act of stealing a horse from the stables of Bargrove Hall. In a frenzy, [b]Montague [/b]beat him to death, and the boy’s mother, apparently some kind of wise woman, placed a curse upon her son’s murderer and his offspring. The exact wording of the curse reads; [i]“As my boy hath died young, so shall ye and your sons, until the old gods waken and night becomes day.”[/i]
After resting, it is dinner time again; this time the meal is succulent venison. As usual, Lady Allingham, Ursula and Josephine are in attendance; the former eager to hear any news. Melody is again relegated to the kitchen.

Outside, the rain begins to fall, and the wind picks up.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I spoke with the constable today," says Alexander. "He's agreed to work with us. In the morning we'll go down the station and he'll share what he knows."

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:08 am
by HoneyDog
Lady Allingham nods in satisfaction.

“Thank you Doctor. The police have been most unsatisfactory so far, but I have hopes that you might be able to motivate them into more assertive action. Have you planned anything for this evening?”

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:47 am
by Philulhu
”We intend to sit up and watch again, Lady Allingham,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. He paused for a moment, then continued, ”By any chance, did your husband have any photographic equipment? I wonder if it would be possible to capture an image of whatever is causing these disturbances at night?”
OOC,Kodak’s first box camera didn’t appear until 1888 but larger cameras had been around for a few decades at that point: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_photography_technology

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:33 pm
by aine
"We could try one more night of watching with any new methods," Agrees Isolde. "And then tomorrow maybe a seance."

"I found some interesting background history about the local area. Apparently Bargrove could be a variation of 'Burnt Grove'; it's an ancient Druidic site from Roman times where they used to perform human sacrifices! And when Caesar sent the legionnaires in, the Druids responded with dark magic and summoning strange beings, killing all but one of the Romans and he went mad!"

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:48 pm
by HoneyDog
“I’m afraid not” says Lady Amanda in reply to Captain FitzWilliam’s question. William didn’t have any such interests.”

At Isolde’s commentary, Howard coughs loudly and Lady Amanda frowns, looking angry. Josephine also colours, her cheeks taking on a dark hue.

“Perhaps such talk isn’t appropriate in front of the young Mademoiselle” she says sternly, indicating Ursula with a nod of her head. Ursula’s eyes are round with surprise.

“Let’s reserve such talk until after Ursula has retired” says Amanda, who is glaring daggers at Isolde.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:32 pm
by Rooter
"Quite right," says Percy, the soul of circumspection. "Let's hope the young miss doesn't have any more nightmares tonight, eh? Perhaps you might allow Isolde or the maidservant who accompanied us to watch over her tonight, to save yourself and Josephine the trouble."

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
“Thank you, Monsieur Stringer, but it is hardly trouble. I will be on hand to care for Ursula as usual” replies Josephine.

After a short while, Ursula and Josephine retire for the evening.

“I was hoping for a séance tonight, but of course I respect your methods” says Lady Amanda. “I wish you every success, and of course, the servants are at your disposal.”

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, milady," says Alexander. "I canna speak to what the Druids may have done to fight the Romans, but they couldna keep them out forever. We Scots didna use dark magic. We managed to do it with thistle and cold steel." He tells the others what he found in the book he had read. "Most of what I saw in the book we already knew, The dead gypsy lad's mother was some sort of wise woman, and she inflicted the curse in 1642. Her exact words were 'As my boy hath died young, so shall ye and your sons, until the old gods waken and night becomes day.' Nothing in there about them dying by the age of forty specifically."

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 pm
by Raiko
Melody,[ooc]Who's present in the kitchen? As mentioned in the OOC thread Melody initially askes what the servants know about the "imported" workers in the village. Sorry, I'll follow up with an actual IC post.[/ooc]

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 am
by aine
Isolde listens to the rising storm, "It would be a shame to waste this storm; it ought to make for a good seance! If everyone would prefer to do that rather than possibly wasting another night watching."
ooc,Sorry I missed the post re Ursula being present and assumed wrongly that we on the adults' part of dinner. Isolde would never have brought up the Romans else.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
Lady Amanda’s eyes light up. Rain smashes against the windows - a real downpour is beginning.

“Yes!” she says. “I can make the arrangements. I feel that William might be ready to reach out to us.”
OOC,I'm sure that Lady Amanda will forgive any transgressions in the event of a good seance!
Melody,Melody is dining with several servants, including her roommate, Mr. Smith and Mr. McKenzie. Nobody knows any of the newcomers, but knows about the bad feeling between them and the villagers. The general feeling is that the murderer is probably one of them, but no-one can really give a reason as to why they think so.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Alexander. While he is naturally skeptical, he is curious to see what it's like, as he has never attended a seance before.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:59 am
by HoneyDog
"What time would you like to begin?" asks Amanda.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:40 pm
by aine
"It will take me about an hour to prepare the room. Shall we say ten o'clock, if that is acceptable to everyone? We could start later of course. Would you prefer the library or the study, Lady Amanda?" Isolde looks around the table.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:43 am
by HoneyDog
“We’ll use the study. It was William’s, after all” says Amanda firmly. “I will have the servants make the arrangements and then have some rest before we begin. Until ten o’clock.”

She nods her head and leaves the room, looking determined.
OOC,Please raise any questions among yourselves if you have any. Melody can also join the séance, Amanda won’t object.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:42 pm
by Philulhu
”Very well,” said Captain FitzWilliam. ”I haven’t attended a seance before. What will you need us to do?”

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Nor have I," says Alexander, "but I'm ready when you are."

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:06 am
by Rooter
Percy, too, is eager to participate.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:49 pm
by aine
"Very well." Says Isolde. "It is important that everyone who attends is positive about taking part. Any negative energy could disrupt the proceedings or cause nothing to happen at all. We'll need to be mindful of her Ladyship's feelings but at the same time we need to get to the bottom of this investigation and this may be our best chance.

I'll start the communication but if I succeed then it should be possible for any of us to ask the spirit questions; keep them simple and answerable with either yes or no."
She smiles grimly.

"If things start to get out of hand then I'll finish the seance quickly; one can't always be sure of contacting a benevolent spirit! I'll go now and prepare the study. Oh, and wear something warm; it can get cold."

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 pm
by HoneyDog
Later that night at 10 pm, the society meets in the company of Lady Amanda in Sir William's study. Some drinks and refreshments have been laid out, but otherwise the room is empty. A large round card table has been placed in the center of the room, and prepared in accordance with Isolde’s instructions. Dimly lit, the light from the oil lanterns sends shadows flickering around the room, but some light as well as heat is provided by a fire in the grate. The door is firmly shut.

Outside, the wind howls and the rain lashes against the windows, shaking the glass in the panes.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:56 pm
by Philulhu
Mindful about Miss Beauchamp’s warning about being positive, Captain FitzWilliam tried to keep any skepticism at bay. Having not attended a seance before, he was unsure what to expect. He had read in some of the more scurrilous newspapers about how some charlatans had posed as mediums and he hoped tonight would be the real thing...

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander is also trying not to be skeptical, out of respect for Isolde's wishes, but he has a harder time of it. He tries to think of it as a sort of scientific experiment. He helps himself to some tea. "Are we supposed to hold hands?" he asks, having heard that that was often done at a seance.

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:41 pm
by aine
Isolde lights three candles and places them in the centre of the table along with three crystals that sparkle and flicker in the wavering light. She also puts down a small tripod from which hangs a small pendulum.

"Please be seated; Lady Amanda please sit opposite me and yes, we must all hold hands."
She sits down with her back to the fireplace and listens to the wind buffeting the window panes. "It can sometimes take a while so please be patient but on a night such as this, hopefully we will make contact!
Before we start, Lady Amanda, what name did his Lordship go by, in his own mind?"

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:54 pm
by HoneyDog
Amanda’s grip on Isolde’s hand is fierce, and her eyes burn intensely.

William, just William she mutters, staring at the pendulum.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:26 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam had opted to sit the other side of Lady Allingham and she held his hand in a vice-like grip. He tried to ignore her nails cutting into the palm of his hand and he studied Miss Beauchamp carefully as she started the seance.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander sits on Captain FitzWilliam's other side and grips his hand, though not as tightly as Amanda does.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:46 pm
by aine
Isolde breathes deeply and listens. The fire is crackling and the windows rattle on and off but otherwise there is just the noise of breathing. After a little while she says, in a low voice,
"Is there anyone there who wishes to speak to us?"

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 pm
by HoneyDog
The rain crashes against the windows, and the firelight flickers, but no answer comes.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:35 pm
by Rooter
Percy coughs.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander waits patiently, observing his surroundings.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:49 pm
by aine
Isolde reaches out with her mind and then slowly says, "William, William, William." She watches the pendulum.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:32 am
by HoneyDog
The pendulum remains motionless as the firelight flickers across the faces of the group. Lady Amanda shifts anxiously in her seat. The rain continues to beat down.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander tries to keep an open mind, hoping nobody thinks his skepticism is the cause of nothing happening.

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:30 pm
by aine
Isolde frowns, "Sometimes it can take a while, please be patient and listen- for anything. I'll try being more specific, I beg your pardon your Ladyship." She tries again,
"We wish to speak to... The Burnt Man."

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:05 am
by Philulhu
The hairs on Captain FitzWilliam‘s neck stood on end. He wondered if it was a good idea when summoning the departed, whether to remind them of how they had left this mortal coil... ...

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:05 am
by HoneyDog
Despite Isolde’s entreaties nothing is manifested by the group’s efforts. The time passes as the storm continues outside, unabated. After about an hour, Lady Amanda removes her hands and stands up. Her face is unreadable in the poor light.

“Th… thank you for your efforts, but it would seem that William will not address us. I will retire”.

She leaves the room, not looking back.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we stand watch again as we did last night?" asks Alexander.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:34 pm
by Philulhu
”Well, his lordship doesn’t seem to want to talk,” said Captain FitzWilliam as he wriggled his hand and tried to get the blood flowing in his fingers again, ”So we may as well see if there are any other manifestations.”

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:28 pm
by Rooter
"Never mind," Percy says to Isolde. "It was a valiant attempt."

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:56 pm
by Raiko
OOC,Sorry, I've been ill (again :()

Melody is sat on the opposite side of Alexander from Captain FitzWilliam. She is very excited to be allowed to participate in Isolde's séance, and waits with bated breath for something to happen!
OOC,oops, missed the final page of posts!
By the time Lady Amanda departs, Melody has become very disappointed, after spending the previous night watching nothing occur in the graveyard, she had been certain that this would be successful.

"What does it mean if the ghost cannot be contacted by the séance?

"What if the spirit is not Lord Allingham at all?"

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:54 pm
by aine
Isolde is mystified, "it is very strange that we should contact no one. Even if not Allingham, there must be so many other spirits in an old building like this. It is almost as if something-or someone- is preventing them communicating with us! We might as well watch; I'm far too awake to sleep. Where should we go?"

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"I hope it isna me," says Alexander. "I'm trying not to be skeptical. I'll stand my watch in the study again."

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:58 am
by Rooter
"And I'd better set up camp in the kitchen again since someone apparently came in or out of the door without leaving tracks last time," Percy says.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions go back to the previous night’s places of vigil to watch for any signs of mystery. Percy is confounded to find the kitchen door to the gardens wide open, as the rain pummels the kitchen tiles. Likewise, one of the chairs in the dining room is laying on its side.

Despite these oddities, the only disturbance is from the rain, and nothing strange is observed. Tired from last night’s exertions, the investigators decide to call it a night and retire to their beds at around 1 am.

The companions wake up again to the sound of screaming from Ursula’s room. The time is almost 4am.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:11 pm
by aine
Isolde grabs her dressing gown and rushes to Ursula's door hoping to prevent anyone from going in, "Lets wait just one minute to see if she settles again or starts sleep walking." She listens carefully at the door.
listen,Roll: 18

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:17 am
by Philulhu
Captain FitzWilliam had thrown on a dressing gown over his pyjamas and grabbed his walking stick as he ran toward’s Ursula’s. His leg was feeling better but he decided that a stout stick might come in handy if the disturbance had a less than metaphysical cause.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:32 am
by HoneyDog
Suddenly the door opens and Lady Amanda appears in her nightgown, leading a sobbing Ursula by the hand. An anxious-looking Josephine watches from within the room.

Seeing the companions, Amanda says, “She had the same dream again. She will stay with me for the rest of the night.”

She leads Ursula away.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Alexander springs out of bed and runs toward the sound of the screaming, arriving after it's over. His eyes are wide with shock. "Poor lass," he says. "She's not the only one..."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 80) for his dream: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:00 pm
by Philulhu
”Why do you say’not the only one’, Dr Campbell?” asked Captain FitzWilliam. ”Have you been experiencing bad dreams as well?”

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:11 pm
by aine
Isolde gives Alexander a look and means to speak to him later. "Lady Amanda, I beg your pardon but have you and Josephine been with Ursula all this time in her room?"

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 am
by HoneyDog
"I was with her" says Josephine from behind them. ""Again, she was crying about the burnt man".

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Just the one, Captain FitzWilliam," says Alexander. "I had a remarkably similar dream. Probably the power of suggestion."

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:33 am
by Philulhu
”Did Miss Ursula say anything else about her dream?” Captain FitzWilliam asked Josephine. ”And Dr. Campbell, what do you remember of yours?

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:37 pm
by HoneyDog
Josephine shakes her head. "She was too upset. All she could say was she saw the burnt man again." Her face is pinched with concern, and she wraps her shawl around her shoulders in the cold. The wind can still be heard, howling outside the walls.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:18 pm
by Philulhu
”As uncomfortable as it might be, we may need to talk to Miss Ursula directly, to find out more about she sees in her dreams,” said Captain FitzWilliam.

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:32 pm
by aine
"I should get her back to bed, your Ladyship, before she gets too cold. Have you both had a similar dream then? About the burnt man?" Isolde asks Captain Fitzroy and Dr Campbell.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 am
by Raiko
Melody asks Josephine, "Has anyone else in the household had the same dream? Have you Miss Josephine?"

"I'm surprised that Doctor Campbell of all people would be affected by suggestion. Perhaps there is another reason."

OOC,I've mostly kept my nose out of the parts where Melody wasn't present, but didn't Alexander interact with Ursula the most?

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:22 am
by HoneyDog
Josephine shakes her head. "I haven't had any such dream. I haven't heard of anyone else doing so, either."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I saw Sir William in my dream too," says Alexander. "I know it was him because I recognise him from the portrait in the study. He was chained to a stone, already dead at that point, and he was on fire. His...gut was cut open and his innards spilling out. When the flames reached his face, I suddenly saw Ursula instead, and she was screaming. That must have been when she screamed and woke me up. Sometimes when things happen in the real world, your brain works them into your dreams."
OOC,You remember correctly. I showed her the science demonstration with the spoon.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:10 am
by Rooter
Percy shudders. "The detail of the gut we could confirm with the policeman at our meeting this morning. If the corpse had a similar wound then it would confirm that these are something more than ordinary dreams."

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 pm
by aine
"The murder in your dream sounds like more of a ritual sacrifice. The actual murderers were probably just burning the body to destroy the remains." Isolde looks worried.

"If we do discover any similarities later today then maybe our dear reverend is mistaken about pagan activities in the area. Dark magic such as that may be the reason the spirits are not communicating in the ordinary way."

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't want to read too much into my dream," says Alexander. "The subject of the murder has been on my mind a bit recently, so it's little wonder I'd dream about it. We don't even know exactly how he died yet, but even if the details match my dream, that may just mean that my brain has worked things out while I was asleep that I wasna able to put together while awake."

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:19 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,When you have finished your discussion, I will move to the next day.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:30 am
by Philulhu
”That’s possible,” replied Captain FitzWilliam. ”I guess we will find out when we talk to the constablevin the morning.”

He yawned. ”Now, are we staying up to see if there are further disturbances or turning in for the night?”

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:07 pm
by aine
"No it's far too cold! I'll see you at breakfast. Goodnight everyone." Isolde walks quickly back to bed.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good night," says Alexander, suppressing a yawn of his own. "I shall turn in myself."

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 am
by HoneyDog
Wearily, the companions return to their beds.
OOC,I'll start a new thread later.