[IC]Chapter 1.6 - Doctor Lemming

Using the 2018 remastered edition of Masks.

March 1921, Lima, Peru: A disparate group of academics and adventurers gather to assist Augustus Larkin's expedition to locate a pyramid long forgotten by history.

Years later a friendship forged in Peru will bring this group together again - can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre before it's too late?

Moderator: Raiko

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: [IC]Chapter 1.6 - Doctor Lemming

Post by Mephistophilis »

Luther grins back, 'So do I get one of the dames?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy checks her watch. "Actually, I don't see any need to split up," she says. "As long as we don't spend more than an hour or so here, we'll still be able to make the lecture in time. We're not far from NYU."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Fair point; assuming we don't run into difficulties. C'mon then, let's stop jawing and go!"

Cynthia impatiently indicates for the porter to lead on.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Doctor Lemming's Suite - The Murray Hill Hotel, New York
18:47 - Thursday 15th January, 1925

The porter leads the investigators up to the seventh floor, where he knocks on the door of Suite 703.

The door opens immediately and the group are greeted by an excited looking, slightly balding academic. Short and rotund, Doctor Lemming's clothes are typical of an absent-minded academic, covered in ink and dust with grubby cuffs and various odd-looking stains. He looks delighted to see his guests.

"Ah! Doctor Nemesio Sánchez, I pressume? What an absolute pleasure to meet you."

Doctor Mordecai Lemming

He extends a hand to Nemesio, "Doctor Mordecai Lemming at your service! Do come in, do come in and your associates of course!"

Lemming ushers Sánchez and his companions though his apartment door and into his suite. The walls and ceilings of the opulent rooms are decorated in a baroque rococo style which for the investigators’ attention among a plethora of books and seemingly random objects from every continent, all with the shared theme of myth and folklore.

"Would anyone like a drink? Do take a seat please, all of you! Now then Doctor Sánchez, how can I help you?"

The doctor pours some excellent quality bourbon for anyone who even looks like they might be interested.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Amy, taking a seat. While she wants to keep a clear head, and she doesn't typically partake, she does accept a glass of bourbon. After what happened today, she needs a drink. It isn't even technically a violation of the Volstead Act, as the drink is not being bought, sold, or transported. However, she limits herself to only one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"I'll take one as well," Marcus says, sitting down and taking a glass. Once he sips from it, he looks up. "Might have two, actually. Been awhile since I've had some this good--mostly swill nowadays."

He figures he'll let Doctor Sanchez direct the conversation, and waits for him to make the first move.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Luther hangs back and doesn't take a drink. He's not clear what's going on yet and he figures he should be ready for anything.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia also wants to keep a clear head and so politely refused any alcohol.

Leaving Professor Sanchez to do the talking, she casts her eye over Lemmings bookshelves.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Raiko wrote: Image
"Would anyone like a drink? Do take a seat please, all of you! Now then Doctor Sánchez, how can I help you?"

'Pleased to meet you too, and yes, a drink would warm me up' he walks towards the shelves 'impressive collection, I would love to take a better look if we get the time... he walks to a chair and sits 'But for now, and sadly as it is we need to talk about a topic full of violence and mystery. We must concentrate on the topic of the Bloody Tongue. Miss Lawrence, Miss Vallier both very enlightened on the subject and VERY capable students, my colleague Archeologist Anderson here and myself are intertwined into the sect the Bloody Tongue. We are quite desperate to find out more about them, who they might be, what are their motivations, where do they base out from, and so forth. We are dead serious about this investigation as we have facts and have even witnessed their modus operandi, please Dr. help us out.
Ah! and before I forget, Mister Anderson and Boyd here are also helping us out on this investigation providing much appreciated security, they are excellent at their trade!'

Dr. Sánchez gulps down the bourbon in one go.
~Bony End of Story~
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Anderson will refuse the drink, and will take a quick look at any books he can see, but always paying attention to the conversation.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Anderson finds that Lemmings collection of books in both extensive and impressive; while mostly relating to African mythology and folklore, as you would expect, the collection includes both contemporary and late nineteenth century works on African history, anthropology and archaeology. There are even a couple of books by Jackson Elias on the selves: Masters of the Black Arts and The Black Power.

He notices that Lemming has a small collection of tribal weapons amongst his haphazardly arranged artefacts, including a machete type blade with a curved tip, that looks remarkably similar to the blades carried by Jackson's murders.

Lemming himself looks a little confused for a moment when questioned by Sanchez, but then his eyes light up and he speaks excitedly again, "Ah yes, the Bloody Tongue Cult!"

He stands back up and begins pacing around the room, waving his hands as he speaks, though careful not to spill any bourbon.

"The police visited me with some rather gruesome photographs taken at one of the Harlem murder scenes - the ones that they call the Voodoo murders. Voodoo indeed? Hmm!"

He glances at Cynthia and Amy and lowers is voice to a stage whisper, "Not all all the sort of thing you young ladies would wish to see, most gruesome indeed.

"Anyway the photographs showed a symbol that had been carved into the head of the victim. They asked if I could identify it."

He indicated his library of books, "I searched though my collection, but couldn't find any mention of this symbol, so I took the photograph to another expert in Harlem - Silas N'Kwane, he runs a shop that I often visit.

"Silas recognised that the symbol belonged to the Cult of the Bloody Tongue, a group feared in East Africa in ancient times. He said that the cult disappeared from Africa before the arrival of Europeans, so the killer was likely using it to scare folk.

"I gave the information to the police detectives, explained that the was such a cult in history, but that it no longer existed. Then a few weeks later, the most unusual and terrifying thing happened! The murderer himself visited me!"

Lemming theatrically recoils in mock terror, "Although I didn't know at the time. Hilton Adams himself! He visited me raving about the symbol, he was quite deranged!

"I explained the same thing as I'd told the police, but that set him off ranting about how the cult was operating in Harlem and responsible for the murders. I spoke to the police about this after Adams was arrested; they said that it's common for lunatics to behave in such a way.

"To think that I gave Adams Silas N'Kwane's name, he could easily have been the next victim!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We've already seen it," says Amy, and she bursts into tears again. After she further dampens her handkerchief wiping her eyes, she collects herself and resumes speaking. "There's been another murder, and Hilton Adams couldn't have done it. He was in prison at the time." She shows him the article and watches his reaction.
OOC,Psychology roll (61% skill) about [b]Dr. Lemming[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Dr. Lemming, does the name Mukunga M'Dai mean anything to you?" Marcus asks. "We spoke to Adams in the slammer, he seemed to think the man had something to do with the killings. 'Course a man waiting for the chair would be eager to pin the blame on someone else." Of course, they had heard the name from Hilton's wife, but Marcus saw no need to bring her into this. As far as he was concerned Mukunga was their chief suspect, and he was interested if the academic had heard of him.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia also watches Lemming’s reaction to the news that Adams is probably innocent.

When the opportunity allows, she will pick up the machete.

“This is a Bloody Tongue weapon isn’t it? Do you have any other artefacts associated with them? Maybe a mask or somesuch?”

Again she studies his reaction.
Psychology 79% Pass,[dice]0[/dice]
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Raiko wrote: He stands back up and begins pacing around the room, waving his hands as he speaks, though careful not to spill any bourbon.

"Silas recognized that the symbol belonged to the Cult of the Bloody Tongue, a group feared in East Africa in ancient times. He said that the cult disappeared from Africa before the arrival of Europeans, so the killer was likely using it to scare folk.

'With other words, you do not possess information about this cult from newer times, that's a shame, we were hoping you had some contemporary information on them' Dr. Sánchez stands up again and walks to the shelves while the others get their points in looking for anything catching his eye.
failed Library Use (70%),[dice]0[/dice]
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"Oh! I'm terribly sorry my dear, I didn't mean to upset you."

Doctor Lemming looks surprised to hear about there being a new Voodoo murder, "Really? The police seemed to be sure that Hilton Adams was their man.

"I take it that you know the newest victim?"
Lemming glances sympathetically at Amy.
Cynthia,As far as you can tell, Lemming's surprise and his concern for Amy is genuine.
"The knife is called a Pranga my dear, it is a traditional bush cutting knife and weapon and is very common in East Africa."

He shakes his head at Nemesio's question, "Less than that really Doctor Sanchez, all of my knowledge of the historic Bloody Tongue came from Silas N'Kwane he is very knowledgeable about East African 'magic' and its practitioners, I have to admit that I had never even heard of the cult before visiting Silas. I could give you the address of his shop 'Ju-Ju House' if you like?

"Other than Hilton Adams, nobody has suggested to me that a modern cult even exists. More likely the killer is a common thug who happens to know of this obscure symbol.

"Though I admit, it is hard to understand how they might have learned of it."
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Raiko wrote:Image
He shakes his head at Nemesio's question, " I could give you the address of his shop 'Ju-Ju House' if you like?
'Yes please' he takes out his notebook and pencil.
~Bony End of Story~
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

"Did anyone aproach you to get any information about those cults? Or something suspicious?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Pretty sure that Lemming is on the level, Cynthia nods.

“Do you see any similarities between the Bloody Tongue and other primitive groups, say in the Far East?” she asks, mindful of the clues left by Jackson.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Struggling to follow the discussions, Luther does hear something that seems closer to his area of expertise. 'Did this Adams say anything about how he thought the cult were operating in Harlem, did he mention any gangs involved?'

Return to “Masks of Nyarlathotep (7th Edition)”