[IC]Chapter 1.5 - Cold Tidings

Using the 2018 remastered edition of Masks.

March 1921, Lima, Peru: A disparate group of academics and adventurers gather to assist Augustus Larkin's expedition to locate a pyramid long forgotten by history.

Years later a friendship forged in Peru will bring this group together again - can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre before it's too late?

Moderator: Raiko

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re: [IC]Chapter 1 - Cold Tidings

Post by jp1885 »

Listen 55% Hard pass,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia can also make out what’s being said - just.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Listen roll (40 / 2 = 20% skill) to overhear the cops,[dice]0[/dice]
Dr.Sánchez notices the girls been able to listen, he leans a bit forward but hears nothing.
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

For those who overheard the cops,[b]Sergeant: [/b] [color=#0000BF]"The victim is their friend [b]Jackson Elias[/b], Lieutenant. He's got a symbol carved in his head like the Voodoo murderer leaves. These people arrived while [b]Elias [/b]was still alive. They took down three attackers, but couldn't manage to save [b]Elias[/b]." "I heard that you didn't believe that [b]Adams[/b] was the killer. These people claim that [b]Jackson Elias' [/b]killers are the real Voodoo murders - the attack fits and the killers are wearing the freakiest masks you've ever seen." "So I contacted you immediately sir." [/color] [b]Poole:[/b] [color=#004080]"Okay, the did the right thing [b]Sarge[/b]. Anything else I should know?"[/color] [b]Sergeant:[/b] [color=#0000BF]"That girl was engaged to [b]Elias[/b], and that one," [/color]he points at first [b]Amy [/b]then [b]Rebecca[/b], [color=#0000BF]"is [b]Rebecca Shosenburg[/b], she's the one who wrote the stories in the Times claiming that [b]Adams [/b]is innocent."[/color] [b]Poole:[/b] [color=#004080]"I'll take it from here, thank you. Keep this between you and me. [b]Captain Robson[/b] at the 14th is the [b]Chief [/b]and the [b]Mayor's [/b]poster boy at the moment. And he won't take kindly if he hears that anyone suspects his investigation was mishandled or worse."[/color]
Poole finishes talking to the sergeant and approaches the investigators.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Sergeant Quinn said that you knew the victim?"

"He also said that you killed his murderers and that you claimed that your friend's death is linked to the Voodoo murders."

The detective lieutenant looks suitable sombre as he looks at each of Jackson's friends in turn.

"So I suppose you'll need to start again from the beginning and tell me what happened here."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia relaxes a little. From what she can overhear, Lieutenant Poole is on the same wavelength as her and also thinks Adams is innocent. She wonders about this Captain Robson though...

She tells him the partial truth: stating how she became interested in the Voodoo Killer in her capacity as a psychology student. After roping in her friends and finding out what she could about the case from newspaper reports, she visited Adams and was convinced of his innocence. This led her to a meeting with Millie and Rebecca.

She and her friends had arranged to meet their mutual pal Jackson and came to his room when he failed to show up. What happened next is evident.

Why was he targeted? She doesn't know. Jackson wanted to talk about some research he was into, but obviously the poor guy never had the chance.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy tearfully retells her account to Lt. Poole, ready to answer any further questions he has for her. She explains that she and Cynthia are friends and roommates, and that she has been helping her do research on the Voodoo Murders.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Dr. Sánchez will as long he's under the polices radar, keep quiet and follow along with the others. If asked he will answer in so broken English he can.
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Listen hard 30%,[dice]0[/dice]

Marcus
will answer any questions Poole asks him, but otherwise remain quiet. He's not willing to give up information unsolicited, especially with what he's known of the police's involvement of the case so far.

He does however offer up one tidbit. "Jackson was researching The Carlyle Expedition. Claimed he found something important, but never got to tell us what."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Poole takes a moment to remember what the Carlyle Expedition was, "Carlyle - he's playboy who got murdered in Africa somewhere isn't he?"

The lieutenant grimaces, "It seems a stretch that he'd be killed in New York over a case from five or six years ago, thousands of miles away.

"Was Jackson Elias aware that you were researching the Voodoo murders? Did he visit Hilton Adams with you?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, Jackson only got back to New York this morning," says Amy. "We got a telegram from him a couple of days ago saying he was coming back and arranging to meet us. There may be a connection, though. One of the previous victims, Victoria Post, was acquainted with Erica Carlyle, the sister of Roger Carlyle."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"This morning?" Poole looks puzzled and checks his notebook.

"The hotel receptionist said that Jackson checked in the night before last," he points to his notes, "Yep, 8pm Tuesday 13th January."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He did?" says Amy, equally confused. "Well, his telegram said he was arriving today. Maybe the ship came in early, but why wouldn't he have contacted us?" She shows him the telegram:

Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Odd," Marcus frowns. "I suppose the hotel staff might know a thing or two, though I doubt he told them where he was going if he went out today at all."

He's tempted to mention Peru, and tell a version of it sans unnatural elements, but is torn. There's no proof any of this was connected yet, and by mentioning it they'd almost certainly eventually have to come clean in a way that could get them thrown in the loony bin. Add to that, while Poole seemed helpful so far Marcus couldn't be sure as to his reliability. For now, he keeps his mouth shut until he can consult with the others.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Re: [IC]Chapter 1.5 - Cold Tidings

Post by Raiko »

"Hmm, this is certainly strange," agrees Poole. "I wonder what Jackson was up to yesterday that meant he didn't want to let you know he was back in the city..."

He looks thoughtful for a second and then asks, "Have you had any contact with him since he returned to the city? Did you know in advance to meet up at the Hotel Chelsea? And have you mentioned the Voodoo Murders to him?"

The detective looks intently at the investigators, and at Amy in particular, "I'm sorry to have to say this, but I'm just trying to establish whether Jackson might have uncovered something himself, or whether your activities might have led to the killers targeting Jackson.

"If this attack was brought about by Jackson's own actions, then that would suggest a definite link between this 'Carlyle mystery' that he was investigating and the Voodoo Murders. It doesn't make any sense, but neither does a coincidental random attack at the exact same time as his fiancée researches the killings."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We weren't supposed to meet here," says Amy. "He called us at about a quarter to ten this morning. He let us know he was staying here, but he wanted to meet at the Coffee Pot across the street at noon. He said he had to check something out first. When he didn't show up on time - Jackson was always punctual - we came here to his room to see if something was wrong. It sure was...He did sound afraid on the phone, but he didn't tell us about what."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I can confirm that,” says Cynthia. “He sounded pretty nervous when I answered the phone. Perhaps he knew he was in danger and maybe didn’t want to expose us to it?”

While talking, she tries to read the lieutenant to see if any of this information elicits a reaction.
Psychology 79% pass,[dice]0[/dice]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The detective takes his time again, mulling over his thoughts before speaking, "Okay, so if you weren't planning to meet here, that does rule out leading the killers to him.

"This can't be a random attack, so the killers were already after Jackson, probably from what he did yesterday or this morning. "Did he give any information about what he was checking? Or what he was scared of?"

For Psychology success,You would say that Lieutenant Poole is intrigued and keen to learn more. Maybe guarded as well, taking care not to show his own hand.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia chooses her words carefully, opting not to mention Jackson's belief that members of the Carlyle expedition were still alive. She's pretty sure Poole is on the level, but isn't taking any chances.

"I remember Amy tellng me that he was looking into a 'she'. I don't know who 'she' is, but we've linked some of the voodo murder victims to someone called Maybelle: she runs some joint or other. Perhaps she's the 'she'?"

It doesn't seem right talking anout the murders when the latest victim is so close by.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"When I mentioned the Voodoo Murders to Jackson, he'd never heard of them," adds Amy, feeling more comfortable with trusting the lieutenant. "But he was more worried about us than about himself. He said he was sure he was being watched, though, and he said we might be watched too. He did mention a 'she' at the end, but he didn't say who she was."
OOC,Psychology roll (61% skill) about [b]Lt. Poole[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"A Maybelle who has a joint somewhere? Fat Maybelle's in Harlem maybe? I've heard of that place."

Poole makes a note, "Thanks, I'll make some enquiries."

He looks concerned and thinks for a moment again before carrying on, "From what happened today Miss Lawrence, it appears that Jackson was correct that he was being watched, and so he might well be correct that you are also being watched.

"Hopefully the dead attackers in Jackson's room are the end of the matter, but it sound like you might all be in danger so please be vigilant until this is over. He suspected that you were in danger even without knowing about the Voodoo murders."

He stops talking again for a second and then nods to himself as though he's made his mind up about something. "Look I'm going to have to take a look at the scene myself, then I'm afraid I'll need to talk to you all again at the station to get official statements

"After that you are free to go."

He looks Rebecca in the eye, "I've read your articles Miss Shosenburg and I know that you don't intend to give up until Hilton Adams has been exonerated."

Poole points to the door of room 410, "This certainly casts doubts on the arrest and conviction, and I'm going to see it I can reopen the original case, but it doesn't prove anything. Adams could have been part of the same gang."

A look of frustration, "Something has stunk about this investigation from the beginning though, and I'll be damned if I watch an innocent man go to the chair.

"This was a high profile arrest, and I'm not sure how much resistance I'll have trying to reopen the case, but if you keep our conversations strictly off the record, perhaps we can help each other?"

Rebecca nods, "I will carry on researching my story and I can keep things off the record - so long as it helps Hilton Adams."

She looks to the other investigators before saying anything else.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Agreed," says Amy. "If there are any more of them out there, they need to be brought to justice as soon as possible."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Masks of Nyarlathotep (7th Edition)”