[IC]Chapter 1.5 - Cold Tidings

Using the 2018 remastered edition of Masks.

March 1921, Lima, Peru: A disparate group of academics and adventurers gather to assist Augustus Larkin's expedition to locate a pyramid long forgotten by history.

Years later a friendship forged in Peru will bring this group together again - can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre before it's too late?

Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

[IC]Chapter 1.5 - Cold Tidings

Post by Raiko »

American Museum of Natural History – New York
9:45am - Thursday 15th January, 1925

It has snowed heavily again during pre-dawn hours, leaving the streets of Manhattan nearly impassable to motor vehicles. As city-workers struggle to clear the surface streets, the subway is even more overcrowded than usual, as commuters make use of the only available way to travel around the city. It is already the worst winter in living memory, and forecasters do not expect Winter to loosen its icy grip on New York anytime soon.

Despite the awful weather, most of the investigators have managed to gather together at the near deserted museum by quarter to ten. Amy and Cynthia haven’t arrived yet, but they should be along soon.

A little earlier at Amy and Cynthia's apartment

The telephone rings just as the two ladies are about to leave.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: [IC]Chapter 1 - Cold Tidings

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia picks up the mouthpiece and places the receiver to her ear.

"Hello?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

**Amy? No, that's Cynthia isn't it?**

The voice is Jackson Elias', but he sounds on edge, not the unshakeable adventurer that Cynthia remembers.

**Thank goodness you're safe**
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Uh, yeah, we're fine." Cynthia answers, puzzled.

"Hey Amy, it's Jackson!" She yells before returning to the reciever.

"We're just about to meet the others. What's up?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Jackson!" squeals Amy with delight, already racing for the phone. "Let me talk to him, Cynthia!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

<<I'll tell you everything when we're all together Cynthia, but take care of Amy for me, make sure you have that .45 handy.>>

When Amy snatches the phone she can hear the uncharacteristic anxiety in Jackson's voice.

<<I've been so worried that they'd have got to you. Please watch your back my love, I couldn't forgive myself if they harm you>>

<<I'm staying at the Hotel Chelsea, room 410, but I
need to check out something else. I'll be back at noon. Meet me at the Coffee Pot across the street.>>

<<Stick with Cynthia and bring the others. You might be being watched, I'm sure they're watching me.>>
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

While Amy talks to her intended, Cynthia checks her firearm and packs her satchel with various necessities. With a growing sense of unease, she waits for the phone call to finish.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've missed you so much, Jackson!" says Amy. "I understand why you're worried, and I'm worried about you too. We've been looking into the Carlyle Expedition since we got the telegram, and it's all tied in to the Voodoo Murders. These people are extremely dangerous! Promise me you'll be careful. Don't go anywhere alone either, and make sure you're in public and around other people. They're less likely to try something in broad daylight with witnesses around."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Amy is surprised that Jackson speaks over her - which is quite unlike him - he speaks quickly and almost sounds manic.

<<Slow down Amy, I don't know what you mean by the Voodoo murders, it sounds like you've uncovered a lot.>>

<<Tell me about it at the café at lunch.>>

<<I'll take good care, only one small thing to check and I'll be quite safe. She connects to both Larkin and the expedition though I'm sure. I'll tell you everything at lunch.>>

<<We have to stop them!! But is there still time?!>>

Elias hangs up abruptly without giving his fiancée the chance to even say another word.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia watches quizzically as Amy puts down the phone.

"What's up pal? He sounds pretty worked up..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, he's really worried," says Amy, as puzzled as Cynthia. "I thought it was for the same reason we are, but he's never heard of the Voodoo murders, so he must be onto something else. He said 'she connects to both Larkin and the expedition,' but he didn't say who 'she' is. He said to meet him at the Coffee Pot across from the Hotel Chelsea at noon, and that he'd tell us there, and he said to bring the others. I'll give Rebecca a call and let her know about the meeting." She dials the reporter's number.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by Leonulf »

Rebecca is scribbling away in her personal notebook when she hears the phone ring, she pockets the notebook and grabs the phone answering in a slightly cold tone "Shosenberg."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hi, it's Amy Lawrence," says Amy. "Jackson Elias just called, and he wants all of us to meet at the Coffee Pot at noon. It's across from the Hotel Chelsea, where he's staying. He's really scared about something he's discovered, and he suspects we're being watched and is certain he is. At first I thought he knew about the Voodoo Murders, but he had had no idea about them. He's found out about something else, something that connects the Carlyle Expedition with Larkin, or rather someone. He said 'she,' but not who she is. He said he'd tell us everything at lunch."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Rebecca perks up slightly "Ah Amy, Hello. I can understand his fear, something doesn't smell right about any of this. Where there's Jackson, there's a story. Hopefully "she" is alive and happy to talk. Look you said noon, but I might get there early - I like coffee as much as I like people watching. I will get myself ready, see you there Amy."

Rebecca puts down the phone and makes for the coat stand.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

After Rebecca hangs up, Amy calls the other members of their group and updates them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Coffee Pot - Corner of 8th Avenue and West 23rd Street, New York City
11:50am - Thursday 15th January, 1925

It begins to snow again as the investigators make their way to the meeting with Jackson. It's not heavy enough to call a blizzard, but falling on top of the heaps of snow from the last week it makes conditions treacherous. To make matters even worse a biting 30mph wind makes it seem even colder than it is and brings visibility in the snowstorm down to near zero.

Even so, the investigators battle through and make it to The Coffee Pot on the corner of 8th Avenue and West 23rd Street and arrive ten minutes early. The owners look surprised to have customers, as the weather has brought Manhattan to a near standstill, but it is warm inside the café, jazz plays on a wireless behind the counter and the aroma of fresh coffee greets customers as the door shuts out the bitter wind.

Jackson is always punctual, so it's good to get here early and some warm drinks ordered.

The Coffee Pot - 8th Avenue & West 23rd Street - Photographed on a more pleasant day.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy arrives grinning from ear to ear. She is bundled up against the cold, but underneath her winter coat she wears her best dress that is suitable for the weather. In her purse she has her pistol and knife in case of trouble, though she hopes there won't be any. She does keep an eye out for anyone who might be following them, however. She sighs with relief as she enters the coffee shop, savoring the smell. She's eager to order some coffee so she can warm her hands and her insides, not to mention perk herself up some. As a student, she has long since learned the value of coffee, which can keep her going when nothing else can. But most of all, she cannot wait to finally see Jackson again after all these months.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Marcus arrives in rather foul spirits, the thought of seeing his friend again not quite compelling him to get out of his warm bed and brave the treachery of New York weather. He's bundled up tightly as well, and is also carrying his pistol with him; he'd have done it regardless, but the fact that a cult may be stalking them only encourages his more paranoid tendencies.

Along the way, he tries to keep an eye open, just in case he sees the same person following him for more than a few blocks; given the weather, he strongly suspects any tail would be relatively easy to catch.
Spot Hidden 66%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I'll post my arrival in the next post, once I know if he's being followed.  
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Leonulf »

Rebecca nurses a coffee that's started to get dangerously luke warm for her taste, but she sees Amy arrive, shortly followed by Marcus. She scans the room again as she has been for a little while now, to see if anyone's behaviour seems slightly odd or suspicious.
Psychology 60%,[dice]0[/dice]
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Anderson arrives happy to finally take some hot drink after all those hours in the street. He is happy to see Jackson but also a bit annoyed.
"I hope this is really important".

Return to “Masks of Nyarlathotep (7th Edition)”