Page 1 of 1

[IC]Chapter 1.1 - A Message from a Dear Friend.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:02 pm
by Raiko
CHAPTER ONE - NEW YORK - JANUARY 1925

I do not recall distinctly when it began, but it was months ago. The general tension was horrible. To a season of political and social upheaval was added a strange and brooding apprehension of hideous physical danger; a danger widespread and all-embracing, such a danger as may be imagined only in the most terrible phantasms of the night.
-H. P. Lovecraft, Nyarlathotep

Midtown_1925.jpg
Columbia University - West 114th Street, New York City
3:50pm - Tuesday 13th January, 1925
3LT6kFX.jpg
The icy start to 1925 has done little to lift Amy's disappointment that Jackson did not after all make it back to New York in time for Christmas. There have been two heavy snowstorms in the last two weeks, and the newspapers warn of more to come. The last storm saw over ten thousand men mobilized to clear the streets, and deep piles of snow still cover many of the cities sidewalks. The skies above Manhattan are clear today, but the low winter sun cannot hope to bring the temperature above freezing.

It's a worse winter than most New Yorkers can remember, but the talk of the city in every university campus, coffee shop and speakeasy is the total solar eclipse in ten days' time. Street parties are planned to celebrate the momentous occasion and the Navy are even sending an airship to observe the eclipse more closely.

Amy is concentrating on her studies when the news the she's been longing for finally arrives; a maritime radiogram is delivered to the small apartment on campus that she shares with Cynthia.
Telegram.png

Re: [IC]Chapter 1 - A Message from a Dear Friend.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia huffs as she barges into the apartment she shares with Amy, stamping the snow off her shoes.

"Damn it's bitter out there! Makes you wish we were back in Lima, huh?"

Dumping her bundle of books, she reaches for the 16th century Spanish rapier that hangs on the wall over the fireplace. It's razor-sharp edge seems to hum through the air as she tests the balance before slotting it into it's scabbard.

"I'm not needed at the lab today so I'm gonna get some practice in. Meet you outside the gymnasium later? Sanchez is treating us to dinner." She grins. "He just doesn't know it ye-"

She stops, realising that her housemate is more focussed on a telegram than her bustling commentary.

"Say, whatcha got there? Ooh! Is it lover-boy?"

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy stops in mid-twirl, a huge smile across her face. "What gave it away?" she asks, showing her the telegram, her voice oozing with excitement. "Jackson's coming in two days! I've waited months to see him, but these next couple of days are going to feel so long. We can show Dr. Sanchez the telegram at dinner. He'll be able to gather the rest of our team. We can get started on doing some background research tomorrow on the Carlyle Expedition while we wait, too! I think Jackson will be pleased that we took the initiative." She has been speaking a mile a minute, and only now does she pause to take a breath and let Cynthia get a word in edgewise.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:51 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia grins.

"Two days? That's peachy!" She stuffs the sword in a duffle bag and slings it over her shoulder. "Practice can wait - c'mon, let's go find Sanchez straight away and tell him the news."

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Great, let's go!" says Amy, putting away her books and grabbing her purse. She's too excited to study any more anyway.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:45 pm
by Raiko
Hall of Mexico and Central America - The American Museum of Natural History, New York
1:30pm - Tuesday 13th January, 1925
AmericanMuseumofNaturalHistory.jpg
After a ten minute subway journey on the Broadway line, a walk along 79th street, with sidewalks piled with snow and five more minutes wandering through the halls of the museum Amy and Cynthia locate Nemesio Sánchez and their other friends. It is a surprise to see the young ladies earlier than the dinner appointment, but it is obvious from the big grin on Amy's face - and the telegram in her hand - that they bring some good news.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:38 pm
by Anatomist
"Careful now, just a little bit more to the right"
Sr. Sánchez is distracted from work with a huge stone slab that he, Atauchi, Marcus and Michael is trying to move into position on a pidestall.
"Hello you both... Is it that late already? What is that grin on your face Amy? won a prize at the fair?"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:29 pm
by jp1885

"Hi Prof. You could say she's won the jackpot."

Cynthia chuckles, waving in greeting to the others.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Jackson's coming back!" squeals Amy with delight, showing them the telegram. "The day after tomorrow, and he's onto something big!"

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:51 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Make a knowledge and/or history roll.  
Make a successful Knowledge roll,You recall that the Carlyle expedition happened a year or two before your visit to Peru. They all perished somewhere in Africa.
HARD Knowledge success or successful History roll,The expedition was led by New York playboy Roger Carlyle. Departing from the city in early 1919, they all died in Kenya later that year. Carlyle is survived by his sister, who travelled to Kenya in 1920 and discovered the fate of the missing expedition.
OOC:   Regardless of whether you made a successful roll, the name of the expedition rings a bell, and you're sure it'll be easy to uncover more detailed information.  

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:04 pm
by Silver Priest
"Hey, that's great!" Marcus says. He was fond of Jackson, but preventing an ancient god from casting off its bonds would build those sort of relationships. "Congratulations Amy. I know you'll be thrilled to see him. We should throw him a little party when he gets back. I know a few places that never got the news that Prohibition went into effect."
Knowledge roll,I forget, is Knowledge EDU or INT? Going with INT for now, which gives me a 75. [dice]0[/dice]
He reads the telegram. "Huh. Yeah, I remember that expedition. Think they all died in Africa a year or so before we went to Peru. Was a big story for awhile."

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's right!" says Amy. "It was led by Roger Carlyle, the famous playboy from right here in New York. They left in early 1919 for Kenya, and they never came back. The following year his sister mounted a search to find out what happened to them. They'd all been killed! Jackson must have found out about it while he was in East Africa. I wonder what the connection is to Larkin."
OOC,Know is EDU, but that succeeds either way. Know roll (76% stat) about the [b]Carlyle[/b] Expedition: [dice]0[/dice] History roll (65% skill) about the [b]Carlyle[/b] Expedition: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:47 pm
by jp1885
Know 66%,[dice]0[/dice]
History 28%,[dice]1[/dice]
Cynthia shrugs.

"Never heard of this Carlyle, but for an entire expedition to be wiped out... Well, sounds like the kind of thing Larkin would be involved in."

She shudders at the name, trying to supress the memory of those black, void-like eyes.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:40 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:
OOC:   Make a knowledge and/or history roll.  
Know 94%,[dice]0[/dice]
History 77%,[dice]1[/dice]
"Great news Amy, hes finally on his way back, congratulations, we should definitely take him out for drinks"

"So the sister survived. I'm gonna ring the Newspaper and find the name of this sister, even better if they know where she lives, she might tell us more about the expedition Carlyle. The sister must be very interested in hearing about Jacksons findings."

Dr.Sánches will get to the nearest phone and call up the operator asking a connection to the New York Times.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's all go out when Jackson returns," says Amy, already looking forward to it. "I'm keen to meet Roger Carlyle's sister too. It took courage and dedication for her to go to the ends of the earth to track down her missing brother."

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:30 am
by Zero

When the two women arrived, Atauchi followed Marcus' example and decided now was as good of a time as any to take five. He reached into an inner pocket and quickly produced a pipe and matches. A moment later its contents began to smolder and the scent of tobacco began to permeate the nearby air. Over the past four plus years the tracker had heard whispers of the Carlyle expedition's disappearance, though he recalled none of the specifics. However, he figured that if Jackson was coming here, he'd soon hear all about it. He puffed upon the pipe as he listened to the others talk. If either Amy or Cynthia looked in his direction, he would nod in recognition.
Knowledge (83),[dice]0[/dice]
History (09%),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Since arriving in the US, Atauchi adopted Jackson's brand of tobacco. Mostly because his own wasn't available, but also because Jackson "knew a guy".  

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:14 am
by kabukiman
"Well, I'm pretty sure he will have some interesting story, as long as it doesn't involve vampires"

know: 65%
[dice]0[/dice]

history:73%
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:30 am
by jp1885

"I can ask around the university and see if there's anything about Carlyle in the library."

Mention of vampires makes Cynthia shudder and she resolves to pick up her pistol at the earliest opportunity.

"If someone wants to tag along, then that's fine by me."

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:15 pm
by Anatomist
jp1885 wrote:Image

"I can ask around the university and see if there's anything about Carlyle in the library."

Mention of vampires makes Cynthia shudder and she resolves to pick up her pistol at the earliest opportunity.

"If someone wants to tag along, then that's fine by me."
"We all love a mystery to solve it seems"
Dr.Sánches smiles at the team seeing the Carlyle expedition triggers theirs curiosity
"We are quite good at it at if i might say"
Dr.Sánchez touches his arm where he still got tight skin over his acid burn, he looks up and smiles "Good timing anyway, the exposition is almost finished and only a minor shipment of secondary objects are in the toll, we can be distracted for a week or so i think"

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:34 am
by Raiko
Silver Priest,[quote="Silver Priest"]]Knowledge roll,I forget, is Knowledge EDU or INT? Going with INT for now, which gives me a 75.[/quote] Your roll was good either way, but it's EDU for knowledge. :) Sorry, I didn't spot the question earlier.
Dr. Sánchez gets to the phone and the operator connects him to the Times offices, a receptionist answers immediately:

*** Hello New York Times. How can I help? ***

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:53 am
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote: *** Hello New York Times. How can I help? ***
I need to inquire into a persons name published in the paper. You ran a story on the Carlyle expedition, I was wondering if I could get you to give name and address of the sister of the late Roger Carlyle.
Fast Talk (70%),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:58 am
by Raiko
Sanchez hears the receptionist pause for a moment and think.

*** I'm really sorry sir, but we're really not supposed to give out peoples' addresses. ***

*** Roger Carlyle's sister is Erica Carlyle though. She shouldn't be difficult to locate, she's very wealthy now and often appears in our society columns. Although she is a bit of a recluse, or so they say, ***

*** Have a nice day, goodbye. ***

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:33 am
by Silver Priest
"I doubt I'd be much help looking things up at the library, but I like to think I'm a pretty good P.I. If there's anything you all think I should look into before Jackson returns, seems I'll have the time to." Here he nods at the good Doctor Sanchez.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll go to the library with you, Cynthia," says Amy. "I'm right at home there." She also owns a pistol, having been taught well how to use one by Cynthia. While she's a much better shot than she had been four years ago, she is still a far cry from Annie Oakley. She has a small knife, too. Ever since Peru, she has understood the value of being able to defend herself, though thankfully she has never needed to do so.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:37 am
by jp1885

"Peachy. Let's get our stuff and then see what we can find. Maybe we can take a look at Carlyle's papers too - he must've learned something that led him to Kenya."

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:42 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:Sanchez hears the receptionist pause for a moment and think.

*** I'm really sorry sir, but we're really not supposed to give out peoples' addresses. ***

*** Roger Carlyle's sister is Erica Carlyle though. She shouldn't be difficult to locate, she's very wealthy now and often appears in our society columns. Although she is a bit of a recluse, or so they say, ***

*** Have a nice day, goodbye. ***
Silver Priest wrote: Here he nods at the good Doctor Sanchez.
Dr.Sánchez winks to Marcus "of course you're our best man for exactly this kind of work. the lady's name is Erica Carlyle, high society and so forth.
Marcus do you mind tracking her down and arrange a meeting? We might even talk to her before Jackson is back, just be sure not to tell her anything about Jackson's supposed findings. Tell her we are interested in her story as we might travel to Kenya ourselves on a Archeological expedition.
And one last thing, be polite as you can, high society you know"

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:53 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus nods. "Sure thing, Doc. I'm not the most high class guy, but I like to think my time guarding John gave me some idea of how to talk to them. I'll see what I can do."
ooc,Though saying that, I don't think I have any skill that would really help me with this. Except maybe intimate, and that may get us off on the wrong fit with Ms. Carlyle. ;) But my job description says I have some law enforcement contacts, so let me give them a try...
Unless anyone stops him, he heads to the phone as well and dials one of his friends with the police. He's worked long enough in this town to make a few contacts on both sides of the law, and is hoping to call in a few favors.
OOC:   I leave the history and importance of any hypothetical contacts up to you, Raiko. Stopping my post here because I don't want to overstep.  

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:58 am
by Raiko
Marcus is put through to one of his NYPD contacts, Detective Michael McGrath, a buddy from the Great War. McGrath has heard of Erica Carlyle and thinks she lives outside the city. He'll call back with the address.

While Marcus is on the phone, a telegraph courier arrives with a telegram for Dr. Sánchez - he appears to know what it's about before he even reads it.
OOC:   If you like, once Anatomist has posted about his telegram I can skip ahead to your dinner meetup in a few hours. Detective McGrath will have called back by then, and Cynthia and Amy will have been to the library (please make library check rolls).  

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy has no difficulty digging through the periodicals, looking for what she can find out about the Carlyle Expedition and Erica Carlyle's efforts to learn its fate.
OOC,Library Use roll (72% skill) researching the [b]Carlyle[/b] Expedition: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:54 am
by jp1885
Library Use 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia is less successful.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:50 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:While Marcus is on the phone, a telegraph courier arrives with a telegram for Dr. Sánchez - he appears to know what it's about before he even reads it.
Dr.Sánchez excuses himself and sits down on a nearby desk to write a letter. He show the letter before he sends it to Clark Weissler. This Eugene is quite a good man, but a little bit insisting. I hope Mr.Weissler can convince him to not send so many telegrams.

Raw text,Tuesday 13th January 1925 Clark Wissler Savoy Hotel, London, Great Britain. Dear Mr. Wissler I must insist your nephew to restrain himself in sending me so many telegrams, I’m receiving at least three telegrams every week now, and some weeks it's up to six times a week! I've told the young, and very enthusiastic man, that I have no use of his skills at this point in time, I’m afraid he must gather some experience on his own, I’ve told Eugene that I might need more security type employees if we embark in a overseas operation, but at as long I’m curating for the New York Museum of Natural History, as you know, I will not need that kind of help. To be honest, I’m more in need of a proper secretary at this point, as Miss Amy Lawrence and Miss Cynthia Vallier, are both quite effective in unearthing information that we struggle to document on a proper fashion. I do though, Clark, as you encouraged me too, indulge in corresponding with him some of our finding and adventures, I do want to keep his fire lit for adventure. As you know, this attempt to "stimulate" him has been quite successful, so he would pursue other interest then hanging around on corners up for no good. But you must write to him or even meet him, to tell him to ease on the cheer amount of telegrams he sends me asking for details of my letters and begging me to hire him, I have not work for him, that is true. Hopefully you will return soon from London and you can attend this matter for my sanity's sake. The work on the exposition is going great! I can't wait to show you some of the items and text that will accompany them. Hope this letter finds you healthy and strong. Sincerely Dr. Nemesio Sanchez

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:28 am
by Raiko
At the university library Amy and Cynthia find a number of articles about the disappearance of the Carlyle Expedition, and Erica Carlyle's journey to search for her brother.
Cutting1.PNG
Cutting2.PNG
Cutting3.PNG
Cutting4.PNG
Cutting5.PNG
Cutting6.PNG
Cutting7.PNG
Cutting8.PNG
OOC:   I counted the rolls as a team effort.  
Meanwhile Detective McGrath calls back Marcus while Dr Sánchez is writing his letter.

*** I've got the address for you Marcus. So Erica Carlyle lives at Carlyle House in Westchester Country, just outside Scarborough. It's about thirty miles upstate. ***

OOC:   Would you like me to move onto the evening meal, so that you're all back together?  

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:59 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, I'm ready to move forward.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:08 am
by Silver Priest
ooc,I am as well.
"Thanks Mikey. I owe you a drink next time we get together. Off the record, of course." He hangs up and intends to tell the group what he found.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:36 am
by jp1885
OOC:   Yep, happy to move on.  

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:24 am
by Anatomist
OOC:   go ahead  

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:10 am
by kabukiman
OOC:   ok!  

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:37 am
by Raiko
The group meet up at 6:30pm at a small restaurant a block south of the university.

When Amy and Cynthia enter the restaurant, the others are already inside.
OOC:   Sorry for the lack of detail - had a really busy day and night and wanted to post before falling asleep.  

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:42 am
by Zero
Atauchi had been silently puffing upon his pipe when he noticed the two young women entering the restaurant. He immediately caught the eye of Doctor Sánchez and gestured toward the entrance with a slight movement of his head. He then returned his focus upon his own thoughts and the scent of the tobacco.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi! We found out a lot about the Carlyle Expedition and Erica Carlyle's search for it," says Amy, excited. She summarizes what they've discovered.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:17 am
by Silver Priest
"Good to hear," says Marcus. "We'll make investigators out of you gals yet."

"Friend of mine on the force gave me Carlyle's address. It's about 30 miles upstate. Of course, getting into see her might take some creativity. She may be interested in whatever Jackson has to say; though given we don't know what that is yet..." He pauses. "We might want to look into this friend of hers, Victoria Post. We win her favor and she might be able to give us an in to Carlyle.

"Or we could tell her about our little adventure in Peru-- An edited version, of course-- and imply they are connected to her brother's. For all we know they may very well be, given Jackson's interest in the case. Maybe her brother knew Larkin.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:21 am
by kabukiman
"Why don't we simply send her a letter, telling we have some important information? By the time she receives the letter, we should actually know something".- says Anderson

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:35 am
by jp1885

Cynthia remains uncharacteristically quiet during the conversation, as she is trying to remember if she's come across this psychologist Robert Huston, or his work, during her studies. If not, she wonders if some of her tutors, colleagues in the Behavioural Lab or other contacts in the field might know him.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:10 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Everyone make an EDU (Knowledge) roll please.  
Successful KNOW (EDU) Roll,[quote="Marcus"] "[color=#0000FF]We might want to look into this friend of hers, [b]Victoria Post[/b]."[/color][/quote] The name Victoria Post sort of rings a bell, you can't quite remember why, but you've heard the name before. HARD Know success: [spoiler]You remember that someone called[b] Victoria Post[/b] was murdered last year, one of the eight victims of the serial killer [b]Hilton Adams[/b] aka [i][b]"The Voodoo Killer"[/b][/i]. Adams killed and mutilated his eight victims (mainly in Harlem) between 1922 and 1924, he was convicted of these so-called Harlem Voodoo Murders last October and is awaiting execution. Perhaps it's a different Victoria Post...[/spoiler] EXTREME Know success: [spoiler]Most of the victims were black, and most of the victims bodies were discovered in Harlem. The NYPD initially thought that the killings must be gang related. However Adams appears to have chosen his victims at random. He maintains his innocence, and so the reasons he selected his victims will probably never be known.[/spoiler]

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:22 am
by Raiko
Cynthia,Robert Huston was one of the first American doctors to study under Freud and Jung in Vienna. When he returned to America he used the demand for his services to gain personal prestige as an early "celebrity shrink" rather than teaching others or publishing. His practise catered only to the very wealthy.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, sending a letter is a good idea," says Amy. "I know I've heard the name Victoria Post before. But where?"
OOC,EDU roll (76% stat) about [b]Victoria Post[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:59 am
by Silver Priest
know 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
"I have heard the name too." He is quiet for a few minutes, racking his brain before he suddenly speaks.. "Right, Hilton Adams! Called The Voodoo Killer? Killed 8 people mostly in Harlam between 1922 and 1924. A Victoria Post was killed by him last year, I think. Could have been another one with the same name, but that might suggest that lead's a dead end. Literally. Adams is still awaiting execution, last I heard.

"I'm a bit of a true crime aficionado." He explains, taking a sip of his drink.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:51 am
by Anatomist
crit fail EDU 98%,[dice]0[/dice]
Dr.Sánchez sits down with a headache

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:18 am
by Zero
Atauchi thought on the name the others had come back with, and while he had heard it before, he couldn't recall from where. The Quechua man began to look over the menu as the others continued to throw ideas around. They all sure loved to talk, or perhaps he was the only one who was actually hungry.
Knowledge (EDU) (83),[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:33 am
by jp1885
EDU 66%,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia nods at Marcus' explanation - that's pretty much what she'd heard too.

"Oh yeah, the Voodoo Killer; I read about that. As a psychologist it'd be fascinating to interview him," she shivers, "though I'd want some protection!"

"I know of Robert Huston by the way. He was one of the first Americans to study under Freud and Jung. When he came back from Vienna he got himself onto the celebrity gravy-train, treating the rich and famous." She scowls. "Goddamn waste of an education if you ask me. Shame he went and got himself killed though."

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:54 am
by kabukiman
Edu:65%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:33 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Since Cynthia has heard of Dr. Robert Huston, there is also a chance that some of you have heard of Aubrey Penhew & his foundation. Roll archaeology:  
Successful Archaeology Roll,Sir Aubrey spent many years working exclusively in Egypt. You believe he made several important discoveries. HARD Success: [spoiler]Sir Aubrey is credited with founding several important branches of Egyptology, and for several important archaeological discoveries, particularly at Dahshur. The Penhew Foundation in England, set up by Sir Aubrey, has underwritten many influential researches at home and abroad, and is responsible for the education of many brilliant but penniless scholars.[/spoiler] EXTREME Success: [spoiler]Sir Aubrey was considered to be perhaps the World's foremost expert on Third Dynasty Egypt. The Third Dynasty spanned roughly 75 years around 2600BC. It ended with the rise to power of the great pyramid builder Sneferu, which marked the start of Egypt's golden age The Fourth Dynasty. [ooc]Little is known of this period during the 1920s[/ooc][/spoiler]

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy has never heard of Penhew or his foundation.
OOC,Archaeology roll (41% skill) about [b]Penhew[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:05 am
by Silver Priest
archaeology 01%,[dice]0[/dice] Um. Wow. Alright, then! What level of success would this be? I'll assume critical success for now, but if I'm wrong I guess I'll spend whatever luck would be required.
Marcus is quiet for a moment, as if he himself cannot believe he knows what has just occurred to him.

"Actually, I've heard of this Penhew fellow. John was a fan of his so I picked up a little. Penhew's spent years in Egypt, made several important discoveries. Apparently he also made up some sort of foundation, what was the name? Right, the Penhew Foundation. It's conducted a lot of important researches in England and abroad. Also funded the education of quite a few students who don't have the money for education otherwise. "

He takes a bite and continues. "Oh yeah, Sir Aubrey was considered the foremost scholar on the Third Dynasty of Egypt. You all know the Third Dynasty, spanned roughly 75 years or so from around 2600 BC. Best known for ending with the rise of Sneferu, one of the Egyptian great pyramid builders, who started the 4th Dynasty of Egypt, widely regarded as one of that civilization's golden ages."

"Hey, think I could get a beer here?" he asks, after a pause.

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:23 am
by jp1885
Archaeology 32%,[dice]0[/dice]
The name means nothing to Cynthia, who has been focusing on her psychology studies over the last few years. Impressed, she whistles when Marcus speaks.

"Well ain't you a clever clogs?" She digs him in the ribs playfully and grins. "Not just a pretty face huh? I guess that's another avenue of research."

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 am
by kabukiman
Archaeology: 71%

[dice]0[/dice]

Anderson has vaguely heard about the subject, but is surprised with his friend knowledge.

"I didn't knew you were such an expert!"

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:41 pm
by Anatomist
Silver Priest wrote: "Actually, I've heard of this Penhew fellow. John was a fan of his so I picked up a little. Penhew's spent years in Egypt, made several important discoveries. Apparently he also made up some sort of foundation, what was the name? Right, the Penhew Foundation. It's conducted a lot of important researches in England and abroad. Also funded the education of quite a few students who don't have the money for education otherwise. "

He takes a bite and continues. "Oh yeah, Sir Aubrey was considered the foremost scholar on the Third Dynasty of Egypt. You all know the Third Dynasty, spanned roughly 75 years or so from around 2600 BC. Best known for ending with the rise of Sneferu, one of the Egyptian great pyramid builders, who started the 4th Dynasty of Egypt, widely regarded as one of that civilization's golden ages."

"Hey, think I could get a beer here?" he asks, after a pause.
"Very impressive Marcus, you are a good listener then it seems, picking up all that" Dr.Sánchez takes to his head as the pain lifts
"So as far i gather,
  • Erica Carlyle found his brothers and most of the expedition in Kenya in a forest called Abedare.
    Robert Carlyle and his court:
    • Sir Aubrey Penhew, the one from Pheneew foundation a Archeologist specialty in in the third egyptian dynasty. Dead in Abedare
      Dr.Robert Hudson psycologist and pictoghap expert. Dead in Abedare
      Miss Hypatia Masters is photographer and maybe lover of Robert. Dead in Abedare
      Mr.Jack Bradly intimate friend of Robert Carlyle. Was never in Kenya, Undersecretary Mr. Roystone Whittingdon did never host him in Mombasa, but all the others in the CArlyle court are mentioned by name

On top of that Erica Carlyle has tied to Victoria Post murdered by a Hilton Adams aka "The Voodoo Killer", wonder if he is alive.

Dr.Sánchez takes out a piece of paper taking a note
Lose ends:
  • 1. Mr.Jack Bradly what did Erica Carlyle find out about him? is he still in London or Egypt?
    2. Hilton Adams aka "The Voodoo Killer" motive of murder, (relevant?)
Dr.Sácnhez looks around the table "Did i get all this right?, anything to add folks?"

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:47 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia frowns, looking through the newspaper clippings.

"Say wait a minute, look at this article: 'Carlyle Expedition Feared Lost'. It says that Penhew, Carlyle and four other Americans went missing. Assuming Jack Bradly was among them (if he was a servant he'd hardly get a mention in the newspapers), that only makes three: Hudson, Masters and Bradly. Am I being dumb here or are we missing someone?"

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:49 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus shrugs off the praise. "I read a book and visit the Met now and again."

"But good point, Cynthia. That merits further investigation and would be something to ask Ms. Caryle if we can meet with her. And Dr Sanchez also raises a good point; we should see if we can dig up why Adams targeted Post. Could there be a connection? Probably not, but might be worth looking into anyway. Last I heard Adams is still awaiting execution, so we may also want to see if we can get in and speak with him if we have the time."

"I just wish Jackson had given us more to go on, so we knew what leads to follow up on and which to discard."

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:17 pm
by Anatomist
jp1885 wrote: "Say wait a minute, look at this article: 'Carlyle Expedition Feared Lost'. It says that Penhew, Carlyle and four other Americans went missing. Assuming Jack Bradly was among them (if he was a servant he'd hardly get a mention in the newspapers), that only makes three: Hudson, Masters and Bradly. Am I being dumb here or are we missing someone?"

"Good eyes Cynthia!, damn you're absolutely right, the 'Carlyle Expedition Feared Lost' article says 6 persons total. One american is unaccounted for, who can that be? I think Erica Carlyle might know, we should really meet with her"

Dr. Sánchez scribbles on the note again
Lose ends:
1. Mr.Jack Bradly what did Erica Carlyle find out about him? is he still in London or Egypt?
2. Sixth missing person in Kenya
3. Hilton Adams aka "The Voodoo Killer" motive of murder, (relevant?)

Dr. Sánchez will eat his meal when it arrives.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"All of this can't be a coincidence," says Amy. "I can't help feeling that everything is connected somehow. You said that the Voodoo Killer had eight victims? We should look into who the other victims were. Maybe there's some sort of pattern to the people he killed, and maybe they're mixed up in all this too. We have enough leads to follow up on tomorrow, and I'm sure Jackson will fill us in on all the details when we see him the day after."

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:52 am
by Zero
Atauchi looked up from the menu when Marcus mentioned getting a beer. Out of all of his compatriots, the Quechua man connected best with the former bodyguard. He wasn't so interested in academics or talking endlessly about uninteresting subjects. No, Marcus was a simple man who wanted to enjoy life, and he appreciated that.

"Do not know, señor. I like one as well." he said in reply.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:14 am
by Anatomist
I think i can get the most out of miss Erica, i will be going upstate.Atauchi would you go with me? I always appreciate your company, i like also you having my back. Marcus as PI might be better suited to ask around in a prison anyways. I'll travel first thing in the morning.

Anyone burning for a visit to the Voodoo Killer?

Dr. Sánchez will eat his meal and drink some wine before he gets to his Hotell for some deserved well sleep.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am
by jp1885

Cynthia raises her hand.

"I'll go see the guy if Marcus is happy to tag along. Like I said, the Voodoo Killer would be a fascinating study subject, but I wouldn't wanna go in there alone."

"I also wanna see if Robert Hudson left any notes or correspondence at the university. Dontcha think it's weird that a celebrity shrink suddenly quits a cushy job to go study pictographs in Egypt? And besides, one of the professors might be able to swing us a ticket into the prison for 'research purposes'."

In all the excitement, she'd quite forgotten about her meal, so she quickly tucks in before it gets cold.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:24 am
by kabukiman
"I have a suggestion: We should split and try to investigate all those clues, to have better chances to find anything".- says Anderson.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:42 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Make an EDU check  
Successful KNOW roll,New York's infamous Sing-Sing prison is actually in Westchester County, a mile or so further upstate than Scarborough, and so the prison and Carlyle House are very close together. Rikers Island Prison doesn't exist yet (opens in 1932) and so you can be sure that Hilton Adam's is in Sing-Sing.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:51 am
by jp1885
EDU 66%,[dice]0[/dice]
Feeling tired all of a sudden (or maybe it's the couple of drinks she has with her meal), Cynthia eventually bids the others good-night and heads off back to her apartment.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:32 pm
by Silver Priest
"Yeah Anderson, splitting up is our best bet. Covers more ground. I'd be happy to tag along while you interview The Voodoo Killer," he tells Cynthia. "Especially if you can get a professor to get us in to interview him for fieldwork or something like that. We should also find out what we can about his other victims, like Amy suggested. See if there's a connection we can figure out there.

"I probably won't be much help getting a look at Doc Hudson's records, but I'm told I can be intimidating in a pinch."

edu 65%,[dice]0[/dice] Aw man!
To Akechi he smiles. "I know a few places 'round here to wet your whistle, bud. Part of the job."

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 pm
by Anatomist
successes EDU,[dice]0[/dice]
The Voodoo killer is at Sing-Sing prison, Westchester County, a mile or so further upstate than Scarborough. The prison and Carlyle House are very close together.

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then it's probably best if we all head upstate," says Amy. "I'd like to meet Erica Carlyle. Maybe she'd be more open to speaking to another woman. I could be useful in researching the other murders, but I suppose that can wait. Maybe the killer will tell you all about it. I wouldn't mind not meeting him." She shivers.
OOC,EDU roll (76% stat) about the prison: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:07 am
by Silver Priest
"Sounds good to me." says Marcus. Noticing Amy's discomfort, he attempts to reassure her.

"Hey, can't be any worse than what we already faced back in Peru, right?"

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Amy. "And it does help that he's behind bars."

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:39 am
by Zero
Atauchi slowly, but steadily consumed the rather large steak dinner he had ordered. He knew of the prison. It had come up more than once during conversations with connections he had made while here in the Big Apple.

The Quechua man nodded and replied, "Sí, por supuesto. Iré contigo, Nemesio."
Education (83),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   "Sí, por supuesto. Iré contigo, Nemesio." translates as "Yes, of course. I will go with you, Nemesio."  

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:04 pm
by kabukiman
[Spoiler-Button]Edu: 65%[dice]0[/dice][/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:25 am
by Raiko
New York Public Library – Fifth Avenue, New York City
9:30am - Wednesday 14th January, 1925
Lions-Snow.jpg
Since opening in 1911 after over a decade of construction, the massive and magnificent New York Public Library has been one of the most extensive libraries in the world. Originally funded by a large bequest from Samuel J. Tilden and a donation of $5.2 million from Andrew Carnegie, and stocked with the combined collections of the Aster and Lenox libraries, totalling 350,000 books at the time, the main library has since extended its collection to over 2 million books, as well as extensive collections of newspaper and periodical articles.

It has snowed heavily again overnight, but nonetheless, the investigators arrive shortly after the library opens and settle down to spend a morning in the huge main reading room located above the extensive stacks. At the back of the reading room, library staff busy themselves fetching books for customers using the library's unique elevator system to retrieve books sent up from the stacks below.
Reading Room.jpg
OOC:   If you've not already rolled in the OOC thread, make a library use roll to learn more about either the Harlem Voodoo Murders or The Carlyle family (or indeed something else that you’d like to know). You have time to research one topic during the morning visit.  
Successful Library Use (Voodoo Murders),You find the names of all eight victoms of "The Voodoo Killer" Hilton Adams. [list=1] [*]Fredrick Marshall. Body found Friday 22nd December, 1922 [*]Roberta Barlow. Murdered Monday 12th March, 1923, her body was found the following morning. [*]Rev. Elijah A. Johnson. Murdered Wednesday 18th July, 1923 [*]Michael Conley. Disappeared Tuesday 16th October, 1923, body found Wednesday 24th October. [*]Richard Cederecci. Murdered Sunday 21st October, 1923, body located the next morning. [*]Victoria Post. Disappeared Saturday 19th January, 1924. Body found Tuesday 22nd. [*]Walter Van Buskirk. Murdered Monday 12th May, 1924. Body found Tuesday 13th. [*]Adolf Thurmond. Murdered Friday 12th September, 1924. Hilton Adams arrested at the scene.[/list] You also learn that the [i]Harlem Voodoo Murders [/i]are so named, because each of the eight victims was ritually murdered in the same way. The bodies were mutilated, and an occult symbol of African origin was carved into each of the victims' heads. Neither the precise injuries nor the design of the occult symbol are described in the articles. Hilton Adams was convicted of the Voodoo murders on 16th October 1924. Sentenced to death by electric chair, he is currently awaiting execution on death row at Sing Sing prison. HARD Success on library use roll: [spoiler]You locate articles from the dates of the murders, that include more details of the victims. [list] [*]Fredrick Marshall: Small time hoodlum, thought to have ties with a local numbers racket in Harlem. Very few details in the press. [*]Roberta Barlow: Waitress at restaurant and suspected Harlem speakeasy Fat Maybelle's. Last seen leaving work, her body turned up two blocks away. Again, there are very few details in the NY press. [*]Rev. Elijah A. Johnson, A Harlem Minister and activist who preached against immorality in Harlem. The third murder with the same MO, this finally generated more than a single paragraph in the press, although most still suspected that Rev. Johnson had been killed by local gangsters. [*]Michael Conley: A longshoreman from the docks in the Hell's Kitchen district. Michael disappeared on a night out in Harlem, his body only turned up a week later in reeds on the bank of the East River in Queens, two days after the murder of Richard Cederecci. [*]Richard Cederecci: reputed to have connections to Charlie Luciano, a known associate of Giuseppe "Joe The Boss" Masseria (reputedly one of NYC's most powerful mafia bosses). Body found in a back alley in Harlem the morning after he was murdered. Due to the delay finding Michael Conley's body Cederecci's corpse actually turned up first. [*]Victoria Post: Wealthy socialite Victoria was a regular at Harlem's famous Cotton Club. Victoria's father Richard Post III offered a reward of $10,000 for information that lead to the arrest of her killer. Victoria's murder finally convinced the NYPD and the majority of the press that the Voodoo Murders were not gangland slayings, as neither her nor her family had any suspected connections to organised crime. [*]Walter Van Buskirk: Brooklyn based private investigator Van Buskirk was murdered while visiting Harlem. Rumours in the press are that he was investigating the murder of Victoria Post. [*]Adolf Thurmond: Wall Street stockbroker, out for the night in Harlem. Police responding to Adolf's screams found Hilton Adams standing over his fresh corpse holding a bloody knife.[/list][/spoiler] EXTREME Success on library use roll: [spoiler]The best coverage of the Harlem Voodoo murders appears to have been written by Rebecca Shosenburg of the New York Times. From her coverage of Adolf Thurmond's murder and the arrest and trial of Hilton Adams, you get the impression that Shosenburg believes Adams to be innocent. Additionally you uncover an article that suggests that Walter Van Buskirk was actually investigating a missing person for a wealthy client, rather than looking to claim the reward from Victoria Post's father.[/spoiler]
Successful Library Use (The Carlyle Family),Personal privacy was more of a thing prior to World War 2, and so generally speaking it's more difficult to obtain personal histories of civilians than it would be even in the pre-internet portion of the post-war years. However, the Carlyle family are well known and so are occasionally mentioned in the society pages of the newspapers. The Carlyle family business has interests in transportation, munitions and international trade. Erica Carlyle is the sole heir to the family fortune since the Kenyan courts declared her brother Roger dead in 1920. Ephaim Carlyle moved to New England from Virginia in the mid-19th Century and made sound investments in lumber and textiles, before amassing huge profits trading munitions during the Civil War. Most public statements by Erica Carlyle appear to be made via her lawyer Bradley Grey, of the law firm Dunstan, Whittleby and Grey on West 57th Street. She never makes public statements in person, but is often seen attending galas, dinners and cocktail parties in Harlem, downtown Manhattan, Queens or at her own house in Westchester. Photographs show that Erica Carlyle is a beautiful and fashionable lady. She always appears to be accompanied by her huge, hard looking bodyguard. You find a few mentions of Roger Carlyle dating Hypatia Masters around a year prior to the expedition. Additionally, you find the actual address of Carlyle House, located by the Hudson River, midway between Sleepy Hollow and Scarborough. HARD Success on library use roll: [spoiler]You find rumours in the gossip columns that Dr Robert Huston was treating Roger Carlyle at the time that the Carlyle Expedition was organised. Some suggested that Carlyle wanted Huston with him while abroad, to prevent the unethical Doctor spreading explosive gossip about him. Roger Carlyle's spokesperson and bodyguard Jack "Brass" Brady was once acquitted of a murder charge in California on a technicality. Carlyle's lawyers represented Brady, who started working for Carlyle immediately after the trial. For six months prior to the Carlyle Expedition, Roger Carlyle was dating a beautiful black lady called Nichonka Bunay. It was quite the scandal. The Carlyle family are rumoured to have close ties to both the Irish and Jewish mafia in New York. Erica Carlyle is a close friend of bootlegger Owney Madden, owner of the Cotton Cub in Harlem and the most ruthless mobster in Hell's Kitchen. She has also done business with reputed Jewish mobster Arnold Rothstein. Erica's bodyguard Joe Corey used to work for Owney Madden.[/spoiler] EXTREME Success on library use roll: [spoiler]You cannot find any details of where Roger Carlyle's girlfriend Nichonka Bunay comes from, but she was a self-styled poetess in and attended many galas and parties for a few weeks before her and Carlyle began dating. You also find articles suggesting that both Erica Carlyle and Hypatia Masters were clients of Dr Robert Huston.[/spoiler]

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy is bundled up against the snow and the cold, wearing a thick green coat with a matching hat and scarf, which she takes off once they get inside. She tries to research the Carlyle family, but she is too distracted by the thought of seeing Jackson again that she finds nothing she doesn't already know from her earlier research on the expedition.

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:59 am
by Silver Priest
Library Use 20%,[dice]0[/dice]
Marcus has never been entirely comfortable in the library, and his attempts to find anything on The Voodoo Murders quickly become bogged down in frustration and sensational headlines.

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:38 am
by Zero
Atauchi wasn't quite used to these New York winters yet. He set his raccoon fur coat aside and spent a good deal of time in the book stacks. His efforts, however, were in vain, and it was pretty obvious to the others that the tracker simply hadn't devoted much time to pure academic studies over the years. In spite of that, the Bolivian man still believed that he had heard something of these Voodoo Murders before.
Library Use (20%),[dice]0[/dice]
Occult (38%),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   @Raiko You didn't specifically mention an Occult roll, but I feel like it would be appropriate with regards to the Voodoo Murders.  
OOC:   Just missed on the Library Use, but that's a hard success on Occult if you think it's an appropriate skill to use at this time.  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 am
by Anatomist
Extreme success Library Use (70%),[dice]0[/dice]
Dr. Sánchez find a lot of usefull information.
OOC:   cant we just say Nemesio Sánchez regurgitate all the information found?
Im busy over the weekend, so if anyone wants to make a summary of the clues ill appreciate this time :)  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:32 am
by Raiko
Atauchi recalls that the Harlem Voodoo Murders are so named, because each of the eight victims was ritually murdered in the same way. The bodies were mutilated, and an occult symbol of African origin was carved into each of the victims' heads. Neither the precise injuries nor the design of the occult symbol are described in the newspapers.
OOC:   Anatomist: I don't think that you have ever stated whether you were researching the Carlyles or the murders.

(Edit: I'm assuming that Sánchez researches the Carlyle family, see the next post)  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:49 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Looking back through the posts, Anatomist had said that Sánchez was going to be visiting Erica Carlyle. So let's say that his extreme success reveals the Carlyle family information.

Cynthia has a regular success researching the murders, so you'll have at least some information about both.  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:52 am
by Zero
OOC:   I believe the professor was going to the prison with Atauchi though.  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:59 am
by Raiko
OOC:   No, not that I can see. I searched Anatomist's posts, he wanted to visit Erica, as he believed he'd be better suited to talk to her. He suggested that Marcus visit the prison.  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am
by Zero
Anatomist wrote:I think i can get the most out of miss Erica, i will be going upstate.Atauchi would you go with me? I always appreciate your company, i like also you having my back. Marcus as PI might be better suited to ask around in a prison anyways. I'll travel first thing in the morning.

Anyone burning for a visit to the Voodoo Killer?

Dr. Sánchez will eat his meal and drink some wine before he gets to his Hotell for some deserved well sleep.
OOC:   This is the post I was thinking of. I guess I misread it though. Atauchi isn't really keen on visiting the socialite. He'd rather go to the prison, heh.  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:16 am
by jp1885
jp1885 wrote:
Library Use 65% PASS,[dice]220290:0[/dice]
Cynthia finds a number of articles about the murders. The names of the victims, alongside the dates of their deaths, are listed. It is also mentioned that each one had an African occult symbol carved into their heads. She shows the information to Marcus.

"If that symbol is a guy with a big swirly head, then the killings must be linked to Larkin somehow. I wonder if there's any significance with the dates?"

If time allows, she'll compare the dates to a calendar to see if they have anything in common (phases of the moon etc.).

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 pm
by Raiko
Checking against a calendar, Cynthia cannot see any obvious pattern to the killings.

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:28 pm
by jp1885
Cunthia draws a blank with the dates, but writes them down, alongside the names, for further investigation.

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:29 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:
OOC:   No, not that I can see. I searched Anatomist's posts, he wanted to visit Erica, as he believed he'd be better suited to talk to her. He suggested that Marcus visit the prison.  
OOC:   Thats correct, but as i understood it at last, Raiko wrote we all go to the library in the morning to so split up to the prison and Carlyle's
Nemesio would investigate the Carlyles.  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy looks over the list of dates to see when the murders started and how much time passed between them.

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:04 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Feel free to read the "standard success" Voodoo Murders information that Cynthia shared with everyone, plus the full set of Carlyle family info that Nemesio discovered.  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:23 pm
by Silver Priest
"Might be worth asking him if he knew Larkin or is a follower of that god he worshiped," Marcus says. "I get the sense its worshipers are the evangelical type."

He considers the professor's information. The Carlyle's ties to organized crime were interesting, though not really surprising to Marcus; he was of the view that the rich all had engaged in something of dubious legality to make their money, not that he was one to talk. But he wonders if he knows either Owney Madden or Arnold Rothstein.
OOC:   Marcus did some work for the underworld in his earlier days, so it's up to you Raiko if he ever met either man or has a good connection with anyone in their orbit.Let me know if a luck roll would be appropriate here.  

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I've heard of Arnold Rothstein," says Amy. "Everyone in New York has. They say he's the one who fixed the 1919 World Series."

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:21 pm
by jp1885

"Just goes to show you don't get as rich as the Carlyles without making connections; and you don't stay rich by not keeping them."

Cynthia grumbles, once again in awe at Sanchez's ability to conduct thorough research.

"We gotta tread carefully around these folks..."

"Say Marcus, reckon you can get any more stuff on the murders from your pals down the precinct if speaking to the killer himself draws a blank?"

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:03 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Silver Priest: If you'd like Marcus to have a contact within the organisation of either Owney Madden or Arnold Rothstein, that's fine.
If you'd like to see if Marcus has actually been introduced to either mob boss, then make a luck roll (I'm not sure how lucky that really is!)  

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pm
by Silver Priest
"Might be a possibility, though I'm hesitant to pump my contact without giving anything in return. Don't want to burn him. If we go that route, we might want to consider forming a connection between Larkin and this Adams, imply he's part of a larger criminal conspiracy.

I know a guy in Madden's outfit, as it happens. Might be able to call in a favor. But unless we have something to offer him or his boss I'm not sure they'd be interested."

OOC:   Accidentally deleted the roll, I failed.  
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:02 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I believe you can't spend Luck on a Luck roll. It's one of the few things you can't use it for, along with Sanity rolls.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:12 pm
by Silver Priest
ooc,Hmm, I've looked it up and am only seeing options for Skill rolls, so I fear you may be right. I'll let Raiko weigh in but will edit my post in the meantime until I know for sure.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[ooc]I'm sorry, but Mr. Handy is correct, you can't spend luck on a luck roll. I believe it's because it would be a paradox. However much luck you spend, you still fail the roll (against your final luck) ;)[/ooc]

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:19 pm
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Understood, edited the post to reflect Marcus only has a contact in Owney's racket, not the big man himself. ;)  

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am
by kabukiman
Anderson is frustrated, he doesn't seem to find anything useful in the library.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am
by Raiko
OOC,[ooc]I think that everyone has done their search of the library now. If you confirm your next move IC, I'll move things along. I'll also update the handouts thread tonight to include the information that you uncovered at the library.[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 am
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez delivers the books and papers back to the librarian.
"'Ill take a smoke outside. I'm ready when you are"

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:10 am
by jp1885
Silver Priest wrote:"Might be a possibility, though I'm hesitant to pump my contact without giving anything in return. Don't want to burn him. If we go that route, we might want to consider forming a connection between Larkin and this Adams, imply he's part of a larger criminal conspiracy.

I know a guy in Madden's outfit, as it happens. Might be able to call in a favor. But unless we have something to offer him or his boss I'm not sure they'd be interested."
"Fair enough. You know more about that kind of thing than me. If Adams doesn't play ball we can look at our options then."

Cynthia is happy to press on. If need be she'll facilitate an interview with Adams via the university, under the guise of a psychology research project.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:13 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[ooc][b]@kabukiman:[/b] I think [b]Anderson [/b]is the only one who hadn't decided where to go next. IIRC the last thing he said was that you should split up. I believe everyone else is planning to head upstate? [b]Amy [/b]and [b]Nemesio [/b]to try and visit [b]Erica Carlyle[/b] at Carlyle House. [b]Cynthia[/b], [b]Marcus [/b]and [b]Atauchi [/b]all preferred to visit [b]Hilton Adams [/b]in Sing Sing. There are a few things Anderson could follow up in the city, if he didn't want to accompany the others. [b]@jp1885:[/b] When is read about Dr. Sánchez's colleague Clark Wissler I learned that at this time Columbia University is pretty much the centre of the universe for psychology and anthropology, so your idea will probably make it much easier to get into Sing Sing and speak to Hilton Adams. How are you all planning to head upstate? I know that Atauchi has a motorbike, but it's not really biking weather at the moment - I'm not sure if anyone has a car (I've not checked your sheets). I'm fine if anyone just says that they have one - you can certainly all afford cars since your windfall in Peru. The weather has been very bad though, and it's pretty rural in that part of Westchester county. You could catch a train - the tracks follow the Hudson along the east bank, passing both Carlyle House and the prison, you'd just need to make your way then from the closest station, which might be in Scarborough for both (I'm not sure for the prison).[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:32 am
by Raiko
OOC,[ooc]I'll move the game along later today. If kabukiman hasn't had chance to post by then, I'll assume that Anderson joins Nemesio and Amy and heads to Carlyle House.[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:52 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: Anderson can join Nemesio and Amy

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:05 am
by Raiko
After the morning at the library and some last-minute preparations, the investigators board an early afternoon train on the Hudson branch of the New York Central railroad from Grand Central station. The journey thirty miles along the east bank of the Hudson River is picturesque, although as most of Westchester County is buried under snow and the river is frozen along its banks for most of the journey, there is little doubt that the railway was the best choice for the afternoon trip north.

Scarborough Station, Westchester County
2:30pm - Wednesday 14th January, 1925
Amy, Sánchez and Anderson leave the train first at Scarborough station, which is a desolate, but beautiful location at this time of year. Located right on the bank of the Hudson, with wooded hills to the south and the ominous silhouette of Sing Sing visible a mile or so to the north, beyond the small village of Scarborough-on-Hudson itself. There is no cab waiting outside the tiny station, but a small hotel stands directly across the snow-covered road from the station building.

Ossining Station, outside Sing Sing
2:40pm - Wednesday 14th January, 1925
Atauchi, Cynthia and Marcus remain on the train until the next station, passing slowly though the bleak yards of Sing Sing prison itself before stepping off at Ossining station, only a hundred yards from the prison gates. Rifle armed guards watch them casually from a nearby watchtower as they step out onto the street.
OOC,[ooc]I apologise once again for my absence. I took a little extra time off work for the Easter break, but had less spare time than I expected.[/ooc]

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can stop at the hotel and ask for directions," suggests Amy. "Maybe we can also telephone for a cab there."

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:42 am
by Anatomist
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"We can stop at the hotel and ask for directions," suggests Amy. "Maybe we can also telephone for a cab there."
Dr. Sánchez nods absentmindedly at Amy and crosses the road towards the hotel.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus smirks. "Always had a feeling I'd end up in prison. Good to know it will just be for a visit, though."

"Think you can get us in, Cynthia?"

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:51 am
by jp1885
Raiko,I'm assuming Cynthia has obtained the necessary paperwork and letters of introduction from the university. If not, I'll amend this post.
Cynthia flourishes the paperwork she has gotten from the university.

"All here in black and white pal."

She approaches the prison checkpoint and smiles at the guard as she places the documentation on the counter.

"Hi. We're from Columbia University - got an appointment."

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:50 am
by kabukiman
"Any idea of what we may ask? We must be very tactful to not be throw away" - says Anderson

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"All we need to do is ask politely how to get to Carlyle House," says Amy. "It's really not that hard, and they're not going to throw us out if we ask. I've never been thrown out of anywhere in my life."

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:37 pm
by Zero
Atauchi remained stoic despite Marcus' attempt at humor. The survivalist took in the bleak surroundings for several moments before he drew the fur collar on his coat upward and moved ahead at Cynthia's rear, shaded slightly to the right. He looked upon the security guard with an icy stare as the man examined the paperwork his companion had handed over.

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:35 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Sorry again for the hold up. :oops:

Sanchez, Amy and Anderson should now post in The House of Carlyle thread:
https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/vi ... 432&t=6726

Atauchi, Cynthia and Marcus should now post in A Visit to Old Sparky's House:
https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/vi ... 432&t=6727