[IC]Chapter 1.1 - A Message from a Dear Friend.

Using the 2018 remastered edition of Masks.

March 1921, Lima, Peru: A disparate group of academics and adventurers gather to assist Augustus Larkin's expedition to locate a pyramid long forgotten by history.

Years later a friendship forged in Peru will bring this group together again - can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre before it's too late?

Moderator: Raiko

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: [IC]Chapter 1 - A Message from a Dear Friend.

Post by Silver Priest »

"Good to hear," says Marcus. "We'll make investigators out of you gals yet."

"Friend of mine on the force gave me Carlyle's address. It's about 30 miles upstate. Of course, getting into see her might take some creativity. She may be interested in whatever Jackson has to say; though given we don't know what that is yet..." He pauses. "We might want to look into this friend of hers, Victoria Post. We win her favor and she might be able to give us an in to Carlyle.

"Or we could tell her about our little adventure in Peru-- An edited version, of course-- and imply they are connected to her brother's. For all we know they may very well be, given Jackson's interest in the case. Maybe her brother knew Larkin.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

"Why don't we simply send her a letter, telling we have some important information? By the time she receives the letter, we should actually know something".- says Anderson
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia remains uncharacteristically quiet during the conversation, as she is trying to remember if she's come across this psychologist Robert Huston, or his work, during her studies. If not, she wonders if some of her tutors, colleagues in the Behavioural Lab or other contacts in the field might know him.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   Everyone make an EDU (Knowledge) roll please.  
Successful KNOW (EDU) Roll,[quote="Marcus"] "[color=#0000FF]We might want to look into this friend of hers, [b]Victoria Post[/b]."[/color][/quote] The name Victoria Post sort of rings a bell, you can't quite remember why, but you've heard the name before. HARD Know success: [spoiler]You remember that someone called[b] Victoria Post[/b] was murdered last year, one of the eight victims of the serial killer [b]Hilton Adams[/b] aka [i][b]"The Voodoo Killer"[/b][/i]. Adams killed and mutilated his eight victims (mainly in Harlem) between 1922 and 1924, he was convicted of these so-called Harlem Voodoo Murders last October and is awaiting execution. Perhaps it's a different Victoria Post...[/spoiler] EXTREME Know success: [spoiler]Most of the victims were black, and most of the victims bodies were discovered in Harlem. The NYPD initially thought that the killings must be gang related. However Adams appears to have chosen his victims at random. He maintains his innocence, and so the reasons he selected his victims will probably never be known.[/spoiler]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Cynthia,Robert Huston was one of the first American doctors to study under Freud and Jung in Vienna. When he returned to America he used the demand for his services to gain personal prestige as an early "celebrity shrink" rather than teaching others or publishing. His practise catered only to the very wealthy.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, sending a letter is a good idea," says Amy. "I know I've heard the name Victoria Post before. But where?"
OOC,EDU roll (76% stat) about [b]Victoria Post[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

know 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
"I have heard the name too." He is quiet for a few minutes, racking his brain before he suddenly speaks.. "Right, Hilton Adams! Called The Voodoo Killer? Killed 8 people mostly in Harlam between 1922 and 1924. A Victoria Post was killed by him last year, I think. Could have been another one with the same name, but that might suggest that lead's a dead end. Literally. Adams is still awaiting execution, last I heard.

"I'm a bit of a true crime aficionado." He explains, taking a sip of his drink.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

crit fail EDU 98%,[dice]0[/dice]
Dr.Sánchez sits down with a headache
~Bony End of Story~
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Atauchi thought on the name the others had come back with, and while he had heard it before, he couldn't recall from where. The Quechua man began to look over the menu as the others continued to throw ideas around. They all sure loved to talk, or perhaps he was the only one who was actually hungry.
Knowledge (EDU) (83),[dice]0[/dice]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

EDU 66%,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia nods at Marcus' explanation - that's pretty much what she'd heard too.

"Oh yeah, the Voodoo Killer; I read about that. As a psychologist it'd be fascinating to interview him," she shivers, "though I'd want some protection!"

"I know of Robert Huston by the way. He was one of the first Americans to study under Freud and Jung. When he came back from Vienna he got himself onto the celebrity gravy-train, treating the rich and famous." She scowls. "Goddamn waste of an education if you ask me. Shame he went and got himself killed though."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Edu:65%
[dice]0[/dice]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   Since Cynthia has heard of Dr. Robert Huston, there is also a chance that some of you have heard of Aubrey Penhew & his foundation. Roll archaeology:  
Successful Archaeology Roll,Sir Aubrey spent many years working exclusively in Egypt. You believe he made several important discoveries. HARD Success: [spoiler]Sir Aubrey is credited with founding several important branches of Egyptology, and for several important archaeological discoveries, particularly at Dahshur. The Penhew Foundation in England, set up by Sir Aubrey, has underwritten many influential researches at home and abroad, and is responsible for the education of many brilliant but penniless scholars.[/spoiler] EXTREME Success: [spoiler]Sir Aubrey was considered to be perhaps the World's foremost expert on Third Dynasty Egypt. The Third Dynasty spanned roughly 75 years around 2600BC. It ended with the rise to power of the great pyramid builder Sneferu, which marked the start of Egypt's golden age The Fourth Dynasty. [ooc]Little is known of this period during the 1920s[/ooc][/spoiler]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy has never heard of Penhew or his foundation.
OOC,Archaeology roll (41% skill) about [b]Penhew[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

archaeology 01%,[dice]0[/dice] Um. Wow. Alright, then! What level of success would this be? I'll assume critical success for now, but if I'm wrong I guess I'll spend whatever luck would be required.
Marcus is quiet for a moment, as if he himself cannot believe he knows what has just occurred to him.

"Actually, I've heard of this Penhew fellow. John was a fan of his so I picked up a little. Penhew's spent years in Egypt, made several important discoveries. Apparently he also made up some sort of foundation, what was the name? Right, the Penhew Foundation. It's conducted a lot of important researches in England and abroad. Also funded the education of quite a few students who don't have the money for education otherwise. "

He takes a bite and continues. "Oh yeah, Sir Aubrey was considered the foremost scholar on the Third Dynasty of Egypt. You all know the Third Dynasty, spanned roughly 75 years or so from around 2600 BC. Best known for ending with the rise of Sneferu, one of the Egyptian great pyramid builders, who started the 4th Dynasty of Egypt, widely regarded as one of that civilization's golden ages."

"Hey, think I could get a beer here?" he asks, after a pause.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Archaeology 32%,[dice]0[/dice]
The name means nothing to Cynthia, who has been focusing on her psychology studies over the last few years. Impressed, she whistles when Marcus speaks.

"Well ain't you a clever clogs?" She digs him in the ribs playfully and grins. "Not just a pretty face huh? I guess that's another avenue of research."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Archaeology: 71%

[dice]0[/dice]

Anderson has vaguely heard about the subject, but is surprised with his friend knowledge.

"I didn't knew you were such an expert!"
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Silver Priest wrote: "Actually, I've heard of this Penhew fellow. John was a fan of his so I picked up a little. Penhew's spent years in Egypt, made several important discoveries. Apparently he also made up some sort of foundation, what was the name? Right, the Penhew Foundation. It's conducted a lot of important researches in England and abroad. Also funded the education of quite a few students who don't have the money for education otherwise. "

He takes a bite and continues. "Oh yeah, Sir Aubrey was considered the foremost scholar on the Third Dynasty of Egypt. You all know the Third Dynasty, spanned roughly 75 years or so from around 2600 BC. Best known for ending with the rise of Sneferu, one of the Egyptian great pyramid builders, who started the 4th Dynasty of Egypt, widely regarded as one of that civilization's golden ages."

"Hey, think I could get a beer here?" he asks, after a pause.
"Very impressive Marcus, you are a good listener then it seems, picking up all that" Dr.Sánchez takes to his head as the pain lifts
"So as far i gather,
  • Erica Carlyle found his brothers and most of the expedition in Kenya in a forest called Abedare.
    Robert Carlyle and his court:
    • Sir Aubrey Penhew, the one from Pheneew foundation a Archeologist specialty in in the third egyptian dynasty. Dead in Abedare
      Dr.Robert Hudson psycologist and pictoghap expert. Dead in Abedare
      Miss Hypatia Masters is photographer and maybe lover of Robert. Dead in Abedare
      Mr.Jack Bradly intimate friend of Robert Carlyle. Was never in Kenya, Undersecretary Mr. Roystone Whittingdon did never host him in Mombasa, but all the others in the CArlyle court are mentioned by name

On top of that Erica Carlyle has tied to Victoria Post murdered by a Hilton Adams aka "The Voodoo Killer", wonder if he is alive.

Dr.Sánchez takes out a piece of paper taking a note
Lose ends:
  • 1. Mr.Jack Bradly what did Erica Carlyle find out about him? is he still in London or Egypt?
    2. Hilton Adams aka "The Voodoo Killer" motive of murder, (relevant?)
Dr.Sácnhez looks around the table "Did i get all this right?, anything to add folks?"
~Bony End of Story~
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia frowns, looking through the newspaper clippings.

"Say wait a minute, look at this article: 'Carlyle Expedition Feared Lost'. It says that Penhew, Carlyle and four other Americans went missing. Assuming Jack Bradly was among them (if he was a servant he'd hardly get a mention in the newspapers), that only makes three: Hudson, Masters and Bradly. Am I being dumb here or are we missing someone?"
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Marcus shrugs off the praise. "I read a book and visit the Met now and again."

"But good point, Cynthia. That merits further investigation and would be something to ask Ms. Caryle if we can meet with her. And Dr Sanchez also raises a good point; we should see if we can dig up why Adams targeted Post. Could there be a connection? Probably not, but might be worth looking into anyway. Last I heard Adams is still awaiting execution, so we may also want to see if we can get in and speak with him if we have the time."

"I just wish Jackson had given us more to go on, so we knew what leads to follow up on and which to discard."
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

jp1885 wrote: "Say wait a minute, look at this article: 'Carlyle Expedition Feared Lost'. It says that Penhew, Carlyle and four other Americans went missing. Assuming Jack Bradly was among them (if he was a servant he'd hardly get a mention in the newspapers), that only makes three: Hudson, Masters and Bradly. Am I being dumb here or are we missing someone?"

"Good eyes Cynthia!, damn you're absolutely right, the 'Carlyle Expedition Feared Lost' article says 6 persons total. One american is unaccounted for, who can that be? I think Erica Carlyle might know, we should really meet with her"

Dr. Sánchez scribbles on the note again
Lose ends:
1. Mr.Jack Bradly what did Erica Carlyle find out about him? is he still in London or Egypt?
2. Sixth missing person in Kenya
3. Hilton Adams aka "The Voodoo Killer" motive of murder, (relevant?)

Dr. Sánchez will eat his meal when it arrives.
~Bony End of Story~

Return to “Masks of Nyarlathotep (7th Edition)”