[IC]Chapter 1.1 - A Message from a Dear Friend.

Using the 2018 remastered edition of Masks.

March 1921, Lima, Peru: A disparate group of academics and adventurers gather to assist Augustus Larkin's expedition to locate a pyramid long forgotten by history.

Years later a friendship forged in Peru will bring this group together again - can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre before it's too late?

Moderator: Raiko

Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: [IC]Chapter 1 - A Message from a Dear Friend.

Post by Anatomist »

Raiko wrote: *** Hello New York Times. How can I help? ***
I need to inquire into a persons name published in the paper. You ran a story on the Carlyle expedition, I was wondering if I could get you to give name and address of the sister of the late Roger Carlyle.
Fast Talk (70%),[dice]0[/dice]
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Sanchez hears the receptionist pause for a moment and think.

*** I'm really sorry sir, but we're really not supposed to give out peoples' addresses. ***

*** Roger Carlyle's sister is Erica Carlyle though. She shouldn't be difficult to locate, she's very wealthy now and often appears in our society columns. Although she is a bit of a recluse, or so they say, ***

*** Have a nice day, goodbye. ***
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"I doubt I'd be much help looking things up at the library, but I like to think I'm a pretty good P.I. If there's anything you all think I should look into before Jackson returns, seems I'll have the time to." Here he nods at the good Doctor Sanchez.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll go to the library with you, Cynthia," says Amy. "I'm right at home there." She also owns a pistol, having been taught well how to use one by Cynthia. While she's a much better shot than she had been four years ago, she is still a far cry from Annie Oakley. She has a small knife, too. Ever since Peru, she has understood the value of being able to defend herself, though thankfully she has never needed to do so.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

"Peachy. Let's get our stuff and then see what we can find. Maybe we can take a look at Carlyle's papers too - he must've learned something that led him to Kenya."
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Raiko wrote:Sanchez hears the receptionist pause for a moment and think.

*** I'm really sorry sir, but we're really not supposed to give out peoples' addresses. ***

*** Roger Carlyle's sister is Erica Carlyle though. She shouldn't be difficult to locate, she's very wealthy now and often appears in our society columns. Although she is a bit of a recluse, or so they say, ***

*** Have a nice day, goodbye. ***
Silver Priest wrote: Here he nods at the good Doctor Sanchez.
Dr.Sánchez winks to Marcus "of course you're our best man for exactly this kind of work. the lady's name is Erica Carlyle, high society and so forth.
Marcus do you mind tracking her down and arrange a meeting? We might even talk to her before Jackson is back, just be sure not to tell her anything about Jackson's supposed findings. Tell her we are interested in her story as we might travel to Kenya ourselves on a Archeological expedition.
And one last thing, be polite as you can, high society you know"
~Bony End of Story~
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Marcus nods. "Sure thing, Doc. I'm not the most high class guy, but I like to think my time guarding John gave me some idea of how to talk to them. I'll see what I can do."
ooc,Though saying that, I don't think I have any skill that would really help me with this. Except maybe intimate, and that may get us off on the wrong fit with Ms. Carlyle. ;) But my job description says I have some law enforcement contacts, so let me give them a try...
Unless anyone stops him, he heads to the phone as well and dials one of his friends with the police. He's worked long enough in this town to make a few contacts on both sides of the law, and is hoping to call in a few favors.
OOC:   I leave the history and importance of any hypothetical contacts up to you, Raiko. Stopping my post here because I don't want to overstep.  
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Marcus is put through to one of his NYPD contacts, Detective Michael McGrath, a buddy from the Great War. McGrath has heard of Erica Carlyle and thinks she lives outside the city. He'll call back with the address.

While Marcus is on the phone, a telegraph courier arrives with a telegram for Dr. Sánchez - he appears to know what it's about before he even reads it.
OOC:   If you like, once Anatomist has posted about his telegram I can skip ahead to your dinner meetup in a few hours. Detective McGrath will have called back by then, and Cynthia and Amy will have been to the library (please make library check rolls).  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy has no difficulty digging through the periodicals, looking for what she can find out about the Carlyle Expedition and Erica Carlyle's efforts to learn its fate.
OOC,Library Use roll (72% skill) researching the [b]Carlyle[/b] Expedition: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Library Use 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia is less successful.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Raiko wrote:While Marcus is on the phone, a telegraph courier arrives with a telegram for Dr. Sánchez - he appears to know what it's about before he even reads it.
Dr.Sánchez excuses himself and sits down on a nearby desk to write a letter. He show the letter before he sends it to Clark Weissler. This Eugene is quite a good man, but a little bit insisting. I hope Mr.Weissler can convince him to not send so many telegrams.

Raw text,Tuesday 13th January 1925 Clark Wissler Savoy Hotel, London, Great Britain. Dear Mr. Wissler I must insist your nephew to restrain himself in sending me so many telegrams, I’m receiving at least three telegrams every week now, and some weeks it's up to six times a week! I've told the young, and very enthusiastic man, that I have no use of his skills at this point in time, I’m afraid he must gather some experience on his own, I’ve told Eugene that I might need more security type employees if we embark in a overseas operation, but at as long I’m curating for the New York Museum of Natural History, as you know, I will not need that kind of help. To be honest, I’m more in need of a proper secretary at this point, as Miss Amy Lawrence and Miss Cynthia Vallier, are both quite effective in unearthing information that we struggle to document on a proper fashion. I do though, Clark, as you encouraged me too, indulge in corresponding with him some of our finding and adventures, I do want to keep his fire lit for adventure. As you know, this attempt to "stimulate" him has been quite successful, so he would pursue other interest then hanging around on corners up for no good. But you must write to him or even meet him, to tell him to ease on the cheer amount of telegrams he sends me asking for details of my letters and begging me to hire him, I have not work for him, that is true. Hopefully you will return soon from London and you can attend this matter for my sanity's sake. The work on the exposition is going great! I can't wait to show you some of the items and text that will accompany them. Hope this letter finds you healthy and strong. Sincerely Dr. Nemesio Sanchez
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

At the university library Amy and Cynthia find a number of articles about the disappearance of the Carlyle Expedition, and Erica Carlyle's journey to search for her brother.
Cutting1.PNG
Cutting2.PNG
Cutting3.PNG
Cutting4.PNG
Cutting5.PNG
Cutting6.PNG
Cutting7.PNG
Cutting8.PNG
OOC:   I counted the rolls as a team effort.  
Meanwhile Detective McGrath calls back Marcus while Dr Sánchez is writing his letter.

*** I've got the address for you Marcus. So Erica Carlyle lives at Carlyle House in Westchester Country, just outside Scarborough. It's about thirty miles upstate. ***

OOC:   Would you like me to move onto the evening meal, so that you're all back together?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Yes, I'm ready to move forward.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

ooc,I am as well.
"Thanks Mikey. I owe you a drink next time we get together. Off the record, of course." He hangs up and intends to tell the group what he found.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC:   Yep, happy to move on.  
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

OOC:   go ahead  
~Bony End of Story~
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

OOC:   ok!  
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The group meet up at 6:30pm at a small restaurant a block south of the university.

When Amy and Cynthia enter the restaurant, the others are already inside.
OOC:   Sorry for the lack of detail - had a really busy day and night and wanted to post before falling asleep.  
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Atauchi had been silently puffing upon his pipe when he noticed the two young women entering the restaurant. He immediately caught the eye of Doctor Sánchez and gestured toward the entrance with a slight movement of his head. He then returned his focus upon his own thoughts and the scent of the tobacco.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hi! We found out a lot about the Carlyle Expedition and Erica Carlyle's search for it," says Amy, excited. She summarizes what they've discovered.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Masks of Nyarlathotep (7th Edition)”