[IC]Chapter 1.1 - A Message from a Dear Friend.

Using the 2018 remastered edition of Masks.

March 1921, Lima, Peru: A disparate group of academics and adventurers gather to assist Augustus Larkin's expedition to locate a pyramid long forgotten by history.

Years later a friendship forged in Peru will bring this group together again - can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre before it's too late?

Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: [IC]Chapter 1 - A Message from a Dear Friend.

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   Looking back through the posts, Anatomist had said that Sánchez was going to be visiting Erica Carlyle. So let's say that his extreme success reveals the Carlyle family information.

Cynthia has a regular success researching the murders, so you'll have at least some information about both.  
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

OOC:   I believe the professor was going to the prison with Atauchi though.  
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   No, not that I can see. I searched Anatomist's posts, he wanted to visit Erica, as he believed he'd be better suited to talk to her. He suggested that Marcus visit the prison.  
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Zero »

Anatomist wrote:I think i can get the most out of miss Erica, i will be going upstate.Atauchi would you go with me? I always appreciate your company, i like also you having my back. Marcus as PI might be better suited to ask around in a prison anyways. I'll travel first thing in the morning.

Anyone burning for a visit to the Voodoo Killer?

Dr. Sánchez will eat his meal and drink some wine before he gets to his Hotell for some deserved well sleep.
OOC:   This is the post I was thinking of. I guess I misread it though. Atauchi isn't really keen on visiting the socialite. He'd rather go to the prison, heh.  
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

jp1885 wrote:
Library Use 65% PASS,[dice]220290:0[/dice]
Cynthia finds a number of articles about the murders. The names of the victims, alongside the dates of their deaths, are listed. It is also mentioned that each one had an African occult symbol carved into their heads. She shows the information to Marcus.

"If that symbol is a guy with a big swirly head, then the killings must be linked to Larkin somehow. I wonder if there's any significance with the dates?"

If time allows, she'll compare the dates to a calendar to see if they have anything in common (phases of the moon etc.).
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Checking against a calendar, Cynthia cannot see any obvious pattern to the killings.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Cunthia draws a blank with the dates, but writes them down, alongside the names, for further investigation.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Raiko wrote:
OOC:   No, not that I can see. I searched Anatomist's posts, he wanted to visit Erica, as he believed he'd be better suited to talk to her. He suggested that Marcus visit the prison.  
OOC:   Thats correct, but as i understood it at last, Raiko wrote we all go to the library in the morning to so split up to the prison and Carlyle's
Nemesio would investigate the Carlyles.  
~Bony End of Story~
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy looks over the list of dates to see when the murders started and how much time passed between them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   Feel free to read the "standard success" Voodoo Murders information that Cynthia shared with everyone, plus the full set of Carlyle family info that Nemesio discovered.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Might be worth asking him if he knew Larkin or is a follower of that god he worshiped," Marcus says. "I get the sense its worshipers are the evangelical type."

He considers the professor's information. The Carlyle's ties to organized crime were interesting, though not really surprising to Marcus; he was of the view that the rich all had engaged in something of dubious legality to make their money, not that he was one to talk. But he wonders if he knows either Owney Madden or Arnold Rothstein.
OOC:   Marcus did some work for the underworld in his earlier days, so it's up to you Raiko if he ever met either man or has a good connection with anyone in their orbit.Let me know if a luck roll would be appropriate here.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've heard of Arnold Rothstein," says Amy. "Everyone in New York has. They say he's the one who fixed the 1919 World Series."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Just goes to show you don't get as rich as the Carlyles without making connections; and you don't stay rich by not keeping them."

Cynthia grumbles, once again in awe at Sanchez's ability to conduct thorough research.

"We gotta tread carefully around these folks..."

"Say Marcus, reckon you can get any more stuff on the murders from your pals down the precinct if speaking to the killer himself draws a blank?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   Silver Priest: If you'd like Marcus to have a contact within the organisation of either Owney Madden or Arnold Rothstein, that's fine.
If you'd like to see if Marcus has actually been introduced to either mob boss, then make a luck roll (I'm not sure how lucky that really is!)  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Might be a possibility, though I'm hesitant to pump my contact without giving anything in return. Don't want to burn him. If we go that route, we might want to consider forming a connection between Larkin and this Adams, imply he's part of a larger criminal conspiracy.

I know a guy in Madden's outfit, as it happens. Might be able to call in a favor. But unless we have something to offer him or his boss I'm not sure they'd be interested."

OOC:   Accidentally deleted the roll, I failed.  
[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by Silver Priest on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I believe you can't spend Luck on a Luck roll. It's one of the few things you can't use it for, along with Sanity rolls.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

ooc,Hmm, I've looked it up and am only seeing options for Skill rolls, so I fear you may be right. I'll let Raiko weigh in but will edit my post in the meantime until I know for sure.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC,[ooc]I'm sorry, but Mr. Handy is correct, you can't spend luck on a luck roll. I believe it's because it would be a paradox. However much luck you spend, you still fail the roll (against your final luck) ;)[/ooc]
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Understood, edited the post to reflect Marcus only has a contact in Owney's racket, not the big man himself. ;)  
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Anderson is frustrated, he doesn't seem to find anything useful in the library.

Return to “Masks of Nyarlathotep (7th Edition)”