[OOC]Chapter 1 - New York, January 1925

Using the 2018 remastered edition of Masks.

March 1921, Lima, Peru: A disparate group of academics and adventurers gather to assist Augustus Larkin's expedition to locate a pyramid long forgotten by history.

Years later a friendship forged in Peru will bring this group together again - can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre before it's too late?

Moderator: Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: [OOC]Chapter 1 - New York, January 1925

Post by Raiko »

It looks like you are all going together to visit Lemming?

I'll post an update later tonight or first thing tomorrow.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Safety in numbers :D
A couple of us can see the guy while the others keep watch outside maybe?
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Sorry, I'll get the next post done this evening. I didn't get time this morning.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Marcus Ambler has some good credit rating to get us past the doorman :)
Otherwise, Nemesio Sánchez has his Professor at the Museum angle
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Excellent harrumphing by Cynthia. :lol:
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

;)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Nemesio Sánchez is done with Lemmings ^^
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Bye bye Lemmings,[img]https://media1.giphy.com/media/uRxRLxPbtKf28/giphy.gif[/img]
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

I'm left wondering if the character's name was intentional. He seems pretty useless. :lol:
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Silver Priest wrote:I'm left wondering if the character's name was intentional. He seems pretty useless. :lol:
+1
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

It's a shame for Dr. Lemming, but a fairly innocuous little tweak that I made has unexpectedly resulted in you following the story in an unusual order. It's actually all worked out really great, and so far the only 'negative' is that Lemming doesn't have much to offer that you haven't learnt elsewhere. I suspect most groups will meet Lemming before either Mr or Mrs Adams and possibly before meeting Rebecca.

So he wouldn't be an amazing source of information, but wouldn't be quite so useless - sorry about that. :lol:

I'll wrap up Dr. Lemming's responses to the questions that you have, and then you can move on if you like?
You were planning to visit NYU to see if you can catch Professor Cowes' lecture and also possibly contact Jonah Kensington tonight I believe?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that's right, We also have the meeting with Bradley Gray tomorrow. We may want to give him a call to let him know what happened and that some of us are still coming.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Okay, I'll get the next post written this evening, leaving the hotel and visiting the university.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

I'm away until Tuesday. If anyone wants to talk to Professor Cowles Dr Sánchez can hand over the phone.
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I've been busier than expected this weekend, so haven't been able to post.
I'll catch up in all games and, post wherever needed this evening. :)
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Can anyone remind me why most clues points at Kenya?
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Sorry, I am meaning to get that synopsis thread done, but won't have time for a couple more days.

Regarding Kenya:

Jackson, initially departed New York around a year ago, following leads about Agustus Larkin. He planned to write a sequel to The Hungry Dead, his account of events in Peru.
Raiko wrote: During his time in New York, Jackson stays at the Hotel Chelsea on West 23rd Street and spends a lot of time with whichever of his Peru companions are in the city at the time. He and Amy in particular become very close, eventually dating and becoming lovers. They plan to marry, but delay a formal engagement for the time being, as mix marriage is socially awkward, even in cosmopolitan New York. Jackson plans to propose formally as soon as his next book is published, and departs New York for Europe at the start of May 1924, bound initially for London and Paris to research the history of Augustus Larkin. He plans to be "back by Christmas!"

He writes several times to Amy, initially from those two great European capitals and later a short letter from Nairobi in Kenya. The letters contain few details other tourist-like details about the sites and the weather, and reassurances that all is well, but he mentions that Larkin definitely come from the British colonies in Kenya, and that he has seen a photograph shows Larkin with a woman connected to a famous disappearance.

His letter from Kenya, dated the 8th August, arrives in early September and tells Amy that "I'm really onto something here, my biggest one yet."

After that she receives no word from Jackson other than a post card from Hong Kong, which arrives late the same month and simply reads - "It's bigger than I imagined, back by Christmas, JE x"

Fall turns to Winter, and Christmas passes by, but no word comes from Jackson Elias.

Amy enquires with Jackson's publisher Jonah Kensington at Prospero House with whom she is now good friends, but Jonah claims to have not heard from Jackson since September, when the author wired him from Hong Kong. The publisher is taciturn and Amy is sure that he knows something more, but she knows that Jackson likes to keep his cards close to his chest, and so does not push Kensington.
Then you received the telegram from Jackson: regarding "Incredible information concerning the Carlyle Expedition."
Your research about the expedition revealed that they had visited London and Egypt then Kenya - where they disappeared.
Erica Carlyle travelled to Kenya (with Voodoo murder victim Victoria Post) to investigate her brother's disappearance, she located the site of the Carlyle expedition massacre. Some natives were promptly arrested, found guilty and hanged.

This morning Jackson Elias phoned Amy and mentioned checking one thing - a woman connecting Larkin and the expedition.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

+1 thanks
~Bony End of Story~
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Please bear with me, sorry for the slow posting.

I've had a busy few days, as my wife is supposed to be going to Greece with a couple of the kids tomorrow, so I've been helping her sort everything out. And now the Greek air traffic controllers are striking tomorrow, so her departure is delayed by 24 hours and she's unexpectedly at the mercy of another of the government's weekly Thursday travel corridor updates! It's not been a good day... :roll:

I've got quite a lot to put into these Jonah Kensington posts, but I might not have time to write a long one tonight.
I'll see what I can manage, but I've got a couple of other (non-forum) things to sort out first.

If my post for tonight is disappointingly short, at least you know why! :lol: :cry:
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

All sorted now, and I'm up at 3:50am to watch them go.
I'll probably make several shorter posts for Kensington to keep things moving, rather than dumping everything in one novel length post.

Return to “Masks of Nyarlathotep (7th Edition)”