Page 1 of 1

[IC]Chapter 1.8a - Emerson Imports

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:17 am
by Raiko
Emerson Imports - Pier 86, Hells Kitchen, New York
9:30am - Friday 16th January 1925
Characters Present: Cynthia, Marcus and Michael

The Emerson Imports company is housed in a long narrow warehouse building located on the river docks of the Hudson in the notorious Hells Kitchen district.

There is a loading bay at each end of the building, several people are visible working inside and it appears busy despite the wintery weather. Although the warehouse is located in a disreputable part of the docks there is no sign of any suspicious activity going on.

Re: [IC]Chapter 1.8a - Emerson Imports

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:17 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus puffs on his cig contently.

"So what's our plan here? We talk to management and try to find out more? Maybe bluff into getting a tour of the place? I'm thinking we keep note of security and where things are stored in case we suspect they're hiding something and need to pay a late night visit."

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:23 am
by kabukiman
"That seems a good plan. And we could our lady let most of the talk for now, maybe the person in charge here will be more amiable to her charms" - says Michael wih a wink.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:08 am
by jp1885

"'Our lady'; you make me sound like a frikkin' nun!" Cynthia digs Anderson in the ribs.

"We could make like we wanna hire a warehouse, or maybe you're some big-shot looking to buy directly from source?"

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:08 pm
by kabukiman
"I don't like the idea of lying this way. Why don't we say that Jackson is dead to see his reaction? If he is hostile, we can say we suspected he was a criminal and he may help us; if he is sad, we say we were his friend so we can try a different aproach and tell we want to discover who are the murderers."

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:50 pm
by jp1885

“Honesty is the best policy huh? Sure, let’s go in and see what happens; unless you guys wanna hang back and eye the joint a while first?”

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:50 pm
by Silver Priest
"If you don't think you need me, I could eye the place, see what I can observe." Marcus volunteers. "If I get caught, I'll just say I'm an interested customer checking out the security."

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:02 pm
by kabukiman
"Good idea Marcus, extra information is always goods".

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:14 pm
by jp1885

“Sounds like we got ourselves a plan: Marcus, you snoop around while we keep ‘em talking.”

Assuming this is agreed, Cynthia will head off to one of the loading bays with Michael.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:25 pm
by Silver Priest
Conversely, Marcus tries to make himself appear uninteresting as he walks through the docks and takes notes of where everything is and the security present.
Stealth 60%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:26 am
by Raiko
There are two men working to load crates onto a box truck at the loading dock. One is a stocky man wearing a thick woollen coat and a wool hat, who is probably in his fifties, though his short grey beard makes it trickier to guess his age. He notices Cynthia and Michael approaching and stops working.

"What do you want?"

Meanwhile Marcus begins his walk outside the warehouse and around the rest of Pier 86. Nobody seems to be paying him any attention.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:23 am
by jp1885

“This Emerson Imports?” Cynthia asks bluntly. “We’ve been sent to come take a look.”

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:52 am
by Raiko
The guy gives Cynthia an admiring once-over and nods towards the warehouse itself, "Boss is in there, upstairs."

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:15 am
by Silver Priest
Trying to blend in, Marcus looks around for any areas of Emerson's that seem to have heightened security.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:58 am
by jp1885

Cynthia bristles at being looked at in such a way, but pushes down her anger.

“And his name is..?” she asks.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:34 pm
by Raiko
The stevedore looks cheekily up at the Emerson Imports sign hanging on the side of the warehouse, then turns back toward Cynthia with a smirk on his face, "Emerson."

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:06 pm
by jp1885

“Right, gotcha. C’mon Mike.” Face flushing, Cynthia quickly heads towards the warehouse, looking for the steps to what she assumes is an upstairs office.

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:27 am
by kabukiman
Michael follows careful that nobody makes anything else besides looking at Cynthia.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:13 am
by Raiko
The interior of the warehouse is stacked high with crates, freight from every corner of the globe. A narrow stairway leads up to a mezzanine where the office door is open.

A tall well muscled man stands just outside the office door, observing the warehouse activity while he smokes a cigar. He looks to be in his mid-fifties, his features softened by age, though his thick brown hair and beard are mostly untouched by grey.

He watches the investigators approach as they climb up the stairs.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:55 am
by jp1885

“Mr. Emerson?” Cynthia asks. “We’ve been sent by a pal of mine. Can we have a word?”

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:44 am
by Raiko
"Yeah, that's me, Arthur Emerson."

Emerson takes a puff of his cigar and beckons Cynthia and Michael into his office, "Sure thing, take a seat. And, eh, excuse the mess."

He doesn't bother closing the door to his cramped office, taking a seat behind a battered desk that's nearly covered in a disorganised mess of ledgers and shipping notes, plus a full ashtray and two unwashed coffee mugs.

"So? Who's yer pal, and what can I do for yer?"

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:30 am
by jp1885

“This is my pal Mike,” Cynthia replies. “He didn’t like the idea of me hanging around warehouses unaccompanied.”

“I’m a psychology student; researching what makes primitive tribes tick. An old friend of mine gave me your business card and said you had dealings with some guy named Silas - apparently he’s into African folklore and such. I don’t know why he thought you’d be able to help me - unfortunately he died recently - but I guess you import stuff for this guy?”

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:03 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson just nod.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:26 am
by Raiko
ooc,[ooc]Sorry for the slow updates. Please make a luck roll for Cynthia. Also please make a spot hidden roll for Marcus.[/ooc]

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:11 am
by Silver Priest
Spot Hidden 66%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:52 am
by jp1885
Luck 75,[dice]0[/dice]
A pass (just!)

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:53 pm
by Raiko
Emerson frowns, "I know the pal you're talkin' about then Miss, I've only given Silas N'Kwane's name to one person recently.

"A guy called Elias called here on Wednesday."

Looking really shocked he asks, "You say he's dead now?"

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:54 pm
by Raiko
Marcus,At first [b]Marcus[/b] can't see any sentries or other outward signs that [i]Emerson Imports[/i] is an illicit operation. However when he gets a clear view of the seaward side of the warehouse, he can see that the ship that is currently unloading - a Dutch flagged tramp steamer the [i]SS Rijswijk[/i] - does have several armed sailors keeping watch as crates are offloaded by crane. [b]Marcus[/b] spot two sailors with rifles slung on their shoulders and one with a revolver in a shoulder holster that the man is making no effort to conceal. [b]Emerson's[/b] stevedores don't seem concerned about the guns.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:07 pm
by jp1885

“Uh-huh; murdered,” Cynthia says matter-of-factly. “Which is why I brought my pal here, just in case. D’you mind telling me what you told Elias?”

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:27 pm
by kabukiman
Anerson looks carefuly to Emerson.

OOC: Can Anderson try to use psychology to see if Emerson reaction is genuine?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:54 pm
by jp1885
Good idea...
Psychology 79 hard pass,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:11 am
by kabukiman
Psychology (10%):

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:13 pm
by Raiko
Psychology Success,[b]Emerson[/b] appears to be genuinely shocked. You also think he's being truthful, but you get the impression that he definitely doesn't like [b]Silas N'Kwane[/b].
"Yeah, sure thing," Emerson rests his cigar in the ashtray and opens up a coffee stained address book.

"Your pal Elias was asking around looking for connections to Mombasa in Kenya," he points out an entry in the book, "I'm the US agent for an exporter called Ahja Singh who ships out of Mombasa. As you can see, Singh's only customer is this place in Harlem called Ju-Ju House."

The entry in Emerson's address book for Ahja Singh just lists the address as "Kilindini Harbor" with a note that Singh's US customer is "Silas N'Kwane, Ju Ju House, 1 Ransom Court, Harlem, NYC, NY."

"Elias seemed like a nice guy, so I helped him out, gave him the address and told him what I know about Silas N'Kwane. I'm sure that he planned to visit Ju Ju House straight after he left."

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:18 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia scribbles down some notes, confident that the guy is on the level.

“Any idea what kind of stuff they’re importing?” she asks. ”And this Silas guy; what’s he like? Weird name; Ju-Ju House,” she continues, taking advantage of his evident dislike of the man.

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:58 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus takes a note of the ship's name in case they need to look for it later, along with where the goods are being stored. Satisfied he's learned all he could for now without risking attracting attention, he returns to the car and waits for the others, smoking a cigarette to pass the time.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:33 am
by Raiko
"The shipments all say they're 'art objects,' but I make it my habit not to ask any questions about shipments, if you know what I mean? Some of my customers right here in Hells Kitchen, well they wouldn't take too kindly to those kinds of questions."

Emerson chuckles dryly, but the laugh turns cough and then grimace as he speaks about Silas N'Kwane.

"Weird name for his shop? Well, he's a weird man that N'Kwane. I don't know what it is about him, but that guy makes my skin crawl."

He picks his cigar back up and takes another deep drag, "And it ain't cus he's a Negro either, I can do business with them just fine and I liked your pal Elias.

N'Kwane though? I spend as little time in his company as I can, there's something creepy about him. Ju-Ju means magic though, I know that much. Ju-Ju House is Silas N'Kwane's African magic shop. "

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:59 pm
by jp1885

"Jeez, sounds like a real peachy guy," replies Cynthia. "Well thanks for answering our questions Mr. Emerson. Say, did Elias say anything else? Oh, and may I ask when N'Kwane is picking up his next shipment?"

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:42 pm
by Raiko
Emerson thinks for a moment, "No I can't think of anything else that he mentioned, sorry.

"As for N'Kwane, there's normally a freighter comes here from east Africa about once a month and he's usually got a delivery on board.

"Next one's probably due early next week. I wouldn't normally stick it to my customers like this, but I don't like N'Kwane anyway, so I'll call you when his next shipment arrives if you like?""

Emerson shakes hands before the investigators leave, "I hope you find what Elias was looking for, take care."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:56 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia thanks Emerson, taking him up on his offer. Unless Anderson has anything to add, she's happy to leave and meet back up with Marcus.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:06 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus informs the team of what he learned.

"Saw a ship with some armed men on it; the SS Rijswijk, Offloading crates here. I'd be very interested in seeing what's in some of those crates that called for an armed guard."

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:26 pm
by jp1885

Emerson said that N’kwame’s got a shipment coming in from East Africa next week, so suspicious or not, this ship might not have anything to do with our investigations,” replies Cynthia.

“From what we’ve heard, N’kwame might not be the ally we think he is.”

If Marcus is determined to get into one of the crates, she’ll help out, however.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 pm
by Silver Priest
"I don't mind looking further into it, but if we did it would be at night," Marcus explains. "We can always come back here if we think it's a lead worth pursuing."

"Even if it has nothing to do with the case, I'm not against liberating some illicit valuables. Call it a finders fee." He smirks.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:40 pm
by jp1885

“Heh, you’re an upstanding citizen,” Cynthia teases. “If we can find out where the ship has come from we’ll know one way or the other. I guess there’s some port logs somewhere?”

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:52 pm
by kabukiman
"It's probably some not very legal product. If we find by the logs that Emerson has lied to us and it is related to N’kwame’s, then we can explore more. But if not, it' wont' be worth of our time. There are probably dozens of such shipments"

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:07 pm
by Silver Priest
"Fair enough. Ship itself was Dutch, I'm pretty sure. If it's name comes up in the context of the rest of our investigation we can come back here and see what we dig up."

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:43 am
by jp1885

“Yeah, agreed. So what now?” Cynthia asks. “Shall we try to gain access to the shipping logs while we’re here or go find the others?”

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:01 pm
by kabukiman
"Well, since we are in the place..."

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:47 pm
by Silver Priest
"If we're going to do that, better we come back at night, I think. Doing it in broad daylight is risky."

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:08 pm
by jp1885

“I dunno... maybe lurking around the docks it’s night is riskier. Ah screw it, I’m gonna check now.”

Headstrong as ever, Cynthia marches towards the port office (assuming she can find it).

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:46 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus groans, but follows Cynthia. If she gets caught, perhaps he'll be able to sneak in.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:50 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Cynthia doesn’t intend to sneak in, she’s just gonna go to the office and ask :)

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:20 am
by Silver Priest
ooc,Whoops. In that case, Marcus will wait in the car and not risk having them connect him with the rest of you-- in case he needs to pay a future visit. ;)

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:23 am
by kabukiman
"Using your charm again to conquer then?"- says Anderson to Cynthia laughing.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:11 pm
by jp1885

"Well of course!" says Cynthia, rolling her eyes.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:53 pm
by Raiko
It takes a while, but Cynthia locates the Port Authority office for this part of the docks.
OOC,Sorry again for the holdup. We'll just say that she locates the right place without rolling. I'll also give you a bonus die on whichever the first interpersonal roll you make first, as she's in such a determined mood. (And to get things moving again.)

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:02 pm
by jp1885
OOC,No worries mate :)
Cynthia marches up to the office and raps on the door.

"Hey, hello? Anyone in?"

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:04 am
by Raiko
"Come in!" shouts a gruff voice from the office.

Inside Cynthia finds three people working. The gruff voice belongs to a weathered grey bearded man in a suit, who looks like he's spend at least a couple of decades working at sea before taking this office job. He sits at the front desk and smiles pleasantly at Cynthia as she steps through the door.

"What can I do for you Miss?"

Two other staff are working in the office, one male, one female, both much younger. They ignore the new arrival.

A map of this section of the port is pinned to the wall alongside a blackboard with the names and berths of various ships chalked on, including the SS Rijswijk at Pier 86.

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:28 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia gives the guy a smile, deciding upon a friendly approach, rather than ramping up the sass.

"Uh, hi. Sorry to bother you, but I've been told to come and find out about some ship; just come in from Africa. Weird name: 'Ridswick' or something? That's the one right? From Kenya?"

She nods to the map.
Gonna try for a risky charm roll at 15,0
Oh crap, need that bonus die!
Bonus die,1
Still a fail, but not as bad a fail!

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:00 am
by kabukiman
OOC: Outch!

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:24 pm
by Raiko
The old sea dog rolls his eyes and sighs, "Look Miss, we're actually quite busy here, and the Rijswijk arrived here from Rotterdam, Holland via the port of Liverpool in England.

"So what do you want to know?"

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:52 pm
by jp1885

“Uh, so which is the ship that comes in from East Africa?” Cynthia simpers. “Sorry if I’m wasting your time.”

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:03 pm
by Raiko
ooc,[ooc]Make a luck roll (or push your risky Charm roll if you prefer!). Either way it's a pushed roll, but failure will just mean that you're asked to leave.[/ooc]

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:35 pm
by jp1885
Luck 75 hah!,0
Seeing the look on the guy’s face, Cynthia doesn’t even wait for him to reply. With a loud ‘sheesh!’, she walks out to rejoin her pals and tells them what little she’s learned.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:46 pm
by Raiko
ooc,The "luck" attribute strikes again!

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:51 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Pretty much sums up 2020! ;)

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:46 am
by Silver Priest
"Struck out?" Marcus asks as Cynthia returns. "Well don't feel too bad. Something's definitely fishy here. Whether it's involved in what we're looking into is still up in the air, but I don't think these guys are the type to give up answers willingly.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:30 am
by jp1885

“Yeah, I reckon so. I learned the Rijswijk came from Holland, so I guess we can discount it, but that’s all,” Cynthia shrugs. “I guess we catch up with the others now?”

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:38 pm
by kabukiman
"Maybe the others have discuvered something interesting or may have some idea"- says Anderson.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:27 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Would you like to return to the Museum to see if the others are about?  

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:06 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   Yes, I reckon so.