[IC]Chapter 1.5 - Cold Tidings

Using the 2018 remastered edition of Masks.

March 1921, Lima, Peru: A disparate group of academics and adventurers gather to assist Augustus Larkin's expedition to locate a pyramid long forgotten by history.

Years later a friendship forged in Peru will bring this group together again - can the investigators unravel the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition massacre before it's too late?

Moderator: Raiko

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Re: [IC]Chapter 1 - Cold Tidings

Post by jp1885 »

Cynthia trails in a little behind Amy, watching her back in case they're being watched or followed.
Spot hidden 51% hard pass,[dice]0[/dice]
She doesn't hang outside for long however and is soon ensconced in the cafe, hands cupped around a large mug of coffee.

She smiles at the others as they stomp in but, heeding Jackson's warning, keeps her eyes peeled for any suspicious characters.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Raiko »

OOC:   Jackson hasn't arrived yet, you are ten minutes early - I thought that you might want to discuss your own leads for a second before anything else (now you're all in the same thread)

Once everyone's posted once or twice at the cafe, I'll move the clock to noon.  
Marcus,It's impossible to be certain with conditions as they are, but Marcus is reasonably certain that nobody is tailing the investigators. There also doesn't seem to be anyone lurking near the cafe, and you are the only customers at the moment.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Figures I'd waste a great roll on that:P  
Marcus enters next, still looking a bit annoyed, but being inside already improving his mood. He takes off his hat and joins the others after ordering a coffee.

"Fairly confident no one followed me on the way here."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's good," says Amy. "I was looking too, and I didn't see anyone either. Of course, you'd have to be crazy to go out in weather like this." She chuckles, then fills everyone in on exactly what Jackson had told her. "He said we still have time to stop them, but not who 'they' are."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Maybe he means these voodoo gangster jerks? At any rate, we had suspicions this stuff was connected to Larkin and this confirms it. Maybe 'she' is that smoke thing that seemed to have possessed the guy when we fought him at the farm."

Cynthia shudders at the memory of those black, souless eyes and takes a gulp of hot coffee to fight off the chill.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Anatomist »

Dr. Sanchez arrives with his shoulder bag in place, stuffed with papers and books that he's been researching lately and on the bottom wrapt in a piece of cloth 8 by 8 cm a golden mask with a mirror like back surface.

As he walks in and takes of his coat he assures himself that his gun is properly holstered under his arm and the dress jacket covers it.

nemesio looks around and addresses Cynthia "Seems all her but Atauchi he probably just around the corner. Who is that lady?" making a nod towards Rebecca.
~Bony End of Story~
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Oh yeah, I forgot you guys weren’t there yesterday. This is Rebecca Shosenburg: the journalist who’s been looking into the same stuff we’ve been looking into. Rebecca, wanna fill everyone in on what you told us last night?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"But Jackson didn't know anything about the Voodoo Murders when I mentioned them," says Amy. "He must have been talking about something else. I guess we'll find out in a few minutes."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Leonulf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

Post by Leonulf »

Rebecca nods to the others at the table at her introduction "To cut a long story short we could do with getting our hands on Hilton's notes that were taken by the police. This is not just a few people linked to gangsters that have wound up on the wrong side of a graveyard - the number of people who have vanished that may be related to all this is in the dozerns. What seem's obvious however is that if you find too much out about this whole affair - your gonna disappear. Now despite being told im chasing nothing, I don't have it in me to drop a story - and theres strength in numbers."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"I have a contact in the police," Marcus says. "Doubt I can get the notes, but I might be able to persuade him to let me look them over for a bit. I'll give him a call later today and see if he's agreeable."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Sounds good. I wanna talk to the folklorist guy, but let's find out what Jackson has to say first - he should be here in a few minutes."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I'd like to talk to him too," says Amy.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC,[ooc]Zero hasn't been online over the weekend, but I've sent a PM yesterday as he won't necessary be aware that this thread has been moving along since Thursday. I'll post that Atauchi has arrived, and continue with the adventure. Hopefully Zero will be along later today. Regarding Spot Hidden rolls, etc. If you made a spot hidden roll, please see the spoiler tag for Marcus above, in short nobody appears to be following you or hanging around suspiciously outside. @Leonulf, there are actually no other customers in the cafe at the moment, and the staff are behaving normally.[/ooc]
The Coffee Pot - Corner of 8th Avenue and West 23rd Street
12:03pm - Thursday 15th January, 1925

Atauchi arrives a few minutes after the other investigators, he nods and takes a seat.

The minutes tick by as the investigators discuss what they know and Amy barely contains her excitement as she awaits Jackson's arrival.

However noon passes with no sign of the ever-punctual Jackson Elias. It is now three minutes past twelve and finally the door from the street opens, but only to admit two office workers starting their lunchbreak. The two young ladies giggle as they brush snow off their woollen coats, and they walk to the counter to order coffee.

Jackson is late.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Anatomist »

Nemesio takes out his watch 'tick tock, thick tock' He glances at Amy 'highly unusual as we know the man, right?'

Dr.Sanchez moves to the door saluting politely and gallantly the two ladies purchasing coffee, he puts on his coat, and scan the streets as he light his pipe.
extreme success Spot hidden 89,[dice]0[/dice]
~Bony End of Story~
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Looking up sharply as the office workers walk in, Cynthia checks her wristwatch and frowns.

Jackson sounded pretty rattled on the phone. Maybe we should go check up on him?”
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

"It seems a good idea. But you know where to find him? Or maybe try to contact him by telephone at least?"- says Anderson
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“He’s staying at the Hotel Chelsea, opposite this place: room 410.”
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC,[ooc]So many great spot hidden rolls. I'll remember to be generous later, when there is something to spot.[/ooc] The coast is clear outside, nothing appears unusual. The Hotel Chelsea is a short walk of about 50 yards along 23rd Street - not directly opposite the cafe - so you're not able to see clearly if anything unusual is happening at the hotel from here, due to the bad weather.
Zero
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Zero »

Atauchi, an experienced tracker and survivalist was perched upon a nearby fire escape with a view of both the hotel and the meeting place. With his keen eyes, he diligently observed his compatriots as they arrived one by one at the Coffee Pot. It was bitter cold, as cold as it ever got in the Andes from recollection, he steeled himself against the harsh elements and continued his vigil.
OOC:   Not for nothing, but the name of the occupation I designed for Atauchi is "Survivalist". He should always have a bonus die for checks of that kind. Just sayin' ;)  
Survival (58%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Gonna burn 5 points of luck since he may need to be in good shape if the cultists have struck again.  
Last edited by Zero on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's not at all like Jackson to be late," says Amy. "Cynthia's right, we should go look for him in his hotel room. I'm getting worried."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (69% skill) looking for anyone following: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Masks of Nyarlathotep (7th Edition)”