Page 1 of 1

[IC]Chapter 1.5 - Cold Tidings

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:23 pm
by Raiko
American Museum of Natural History – New York
9:45am - Thursday 15th January, 1925

It has snowed heavily again during pre-dawn hours, leaving the streets of Manhattan nearly impassable to motor vehicles. As city-workers struggle to clear the surface streets, the subway is even more overcrowded than usual, as commuters make use of the only available way to travel around the city. It is already the worst winter in living memory, and forecasters do not expect Winter to loosen its icy grip on New York anytime soon.

Despite the awful weather, most of the investigators have managed to gather together at the near deserted museum by quarter to ten. Amy and Cynthia haven’t arrived yet, but they should be along soon.

A little earlier at Amy and Cynthia's apartment

The telephone rings just as the two ladies are about to leave.

Re: [IC]Chapter 1 - Cold Tidings

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:34 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia picks up the mouthpiece and places the receiver to her ear.

"Hello?"

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:34 am
by Raiko
**Amy? No, that's Cynthia isn't it?**

The voice is Jackson Elias', but he sounds on edge, not the unshakeable adventurer that Cynthia remembers.

**Thank goodness you're safe**

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:49 pm
by jp1885

"Uh, yeah, we're fine." Cynthia answers, puzzled.

"Hey Amy, it's Jackson!" She yells before returning to the reciever.

"We're just about to meet the others. What's up?"

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Jackson!" squeals Amy with delight, already racing for the phone. "Let me talk to him, Cynthia!"

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:40 am
by Raiko
<<I'll tell you everything when we're all together Cynthia, but take care of Amy for me, make sure you have that .45 handy.>>

When Amy snatches the phone she can hear the uncharacteristic anxiety in Jackson's voice.

<<I've been so worried that they'd have got to you. Please watch your back my love, I couldn't forgive myself if they harm you>>

<<I'm staying at the Hotel Chelsea, room 410, but I
need to check out something else. I'll be back at noon. Meet me at the Coffee Pot across the street.>>

<<Stick with Cynthia and bring the others. You might be being watched, I'm sure they're watching me.>>

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:38 am
by jp1885

While Amy talks to her intended, Cynthia checks her firearm and packs her satchel with various necessities. With a growing sense of unease, she waits for the phone call to finish.

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've missed you so much, Jackson!" says Amy. "I understand why you're worried, and I'm worried about you too. We've been looking into the Carlyle Expedition since we got the telegram, and it's all tied in to the Voodoo Murders. These people are extremely dangerous! Promise me you'll be careful. Don't go anywhere alone either, and make sure you're in public and around other people. They're less likely to try something in broad daylight with witnesses around."

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:04 pm
by Raiko
Amy is surprised that Jackson speaks over her - which is quite unlike him - he speaks quickly and almost sounds manic.

<<Slow down Amy, I don't know what you mean by the Voodoo murders, it sounds like you've uncovered a lot.>>

<<Tell me about it at the café at lunch.>>

<<I'll take good care, only one small thing to check and I'll be quite safe. She connects to both Larkin and the expedition though I'm sure. I'll tell you everything at lunch.>>

<<We have to stop them!! But is there still time?!>>

Elias hangs up abruptly without giving his fiancée the chance to even say another word.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:59 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia watches quizzically as Amy puts down the phone.

"What's up pal? He sounds pretty worked up..."

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah, he's really worried," says Amy, as puzzled as Cynthia. "I thought it was for the same reason we are, but he's never heard of the Voodoo murders, so he must be onto something else. He said 'she connects to both Larkin and the expedition,' but he didn't say who 'she' is. He said to meet him at the Coffee Pot across from the Hotel Chelsea at noon, and that he'd tell us there, and he said to bring the others. I'll give Rebecca a call and let her know about the meeting." She dials the reporter's number.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:11 pm
by Leonulf
Rebecca is scribbling away in her personal notebook when she hears the phone ring, she pockets the notebook and grabs the phone answering in a slightly cold tone "Shosenberg."

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Hi, it's Amy Lawrence," says Amy. "Jackson Elias just called, and he wants all of us to meet at the Coffee Pot at noon. It's across from the Hotel Chelsea, where he's staying. He's really scared about something he's discovered, and he suspects we're being watched and is certain he is. At first I thought he knew about the Voodoo Murders, but he had had no idea about them. He's found out about something else, something that connects the Carlyle Expedition with Larkin, or rather someone. He said 'she,' but not who she is. He said he'd tell us everything at lunch."

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:15 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca perks up slightly "Ah Amy, Hello. I can understand his fear, something doesn't smell right about any of this. Where there's Jackson, there's a story. Hopefully "she" is alive and happy to talk. Look you said noon, but I might get there early - I like coffee as much as I like people watching. I will get myself ready, see you there Amy."

Rebecca puts down the phone and makes for the coat stand.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

After Rebecca hangs up, Amy calls the other members of their group and updates them.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:13 am
by Raiko
The Coffee Pot - Corner of 8th Avenue and West 23rd Street, New York City
11:50am - Thursday 15th January, 1925

It begins to snow again as the investigators make their way to the meeting with Jackson. It's not heavy enough to call a blizzard, but falling on top of the heaps of snow from the last week it makes conditions treacherous. To make matters even worse a biting 30mph wind makes it seem even colder than it is and brings visibility in the snowstorm down to near zero.

Even so, the investigators battle through and make it to The Coffee Pot on the corner of 8th Avenue and West 23rd Street and arrive ten minutes early. The owners look surprised to have customers, as the weather has brought Manhattan to a near standstill, but it is warm inside the café, jazz plays on a wireless behind the counter and the aroma of fresh coffee greets customers as the door shuts out the bitter wind.

Jackson is always punctual, so it's good to get here early and some warm drinks ordered.

The Coffee Pot - 8th Avenue & West 23rd Street - Photographed on a more pleasant day.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy arrives grinning from ear to ear. She is bundled up against the cold, but underneath her winter coat she wears her best dress that is suitable for the weather. In her purse she has her pistol and knife in case of trouble, though she hopes there won't be any. She does keep an eye out for anyone who might be following them, however. She sighs with relief as she enters the coffee shop, savoring the smell. She's eager to order some coffee so she can warm her hands and her insides, not to mention perk herself up some. As a student, she has long since learned the value of coffee, which can keep her going when nothing else can. But most of all, she cannot wait to finally see Jackson again after all these months.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:19 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus arrives in rather foul spirits, the thought of seeing his friend again not quite compelling him to get out of his warm bed and brave the treachery of New York weather. He's bundled up tightly as well, and is also carrying his pistol with him; he'd have done it regardless, but the fact that a cult may be stalking them only encourages his more paranoid tendencies.

Along the way, he tries to keep an eye open, just in case he sees the same person following him for more than a few blocks; given the weather, he strongly suspects any tail would be relatively easy to catch.
Spot Hidden 66%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I'll post my arrival in the next post, once I know if he's being followed.  

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:52 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca nurses a coffee that's started to get dangerously luke warm for her taste, but she sees Amy arrive, shortly followed by Marcus. She scans the room again as she has been for a little while now, to see if anyone's behaviour seems slightly odd or suspicious.
Psychology 60%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:09 am
by kabukiman
Anderson arrives happy to finally take some hot drink after all those hours in the street. He is happy to see Jackson but also a bit annoyed.
"I hope this is really important".

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:55 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia trails in a little behind Amy, watching her back in case they're being watched or followed.
Spot hidden 51% hard pass,[dice]0[/dice]
She doesn't hang outside for long however and is soon ensconced in the cafe, hands cupped around a large mug of coffee.

She smiles at the others as they stomp in but, heeding Jackson's warning, keeps her eyes peeled for any suspicious characters.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:44 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Jackson hasn't arrived yet, you are ten minutes early - I thought that you might want to discuss your own leads for a second before anything else (now you're all in the same thread)

Once everyone's posted once or twice at the cafe, I'll move the clock to noon.  
Marcus,It's impossible to be certain with conditions as they are, but Marcus is reasonably certain that nobody is tailing the investigators. There also doesn't seem to be anyone lurking near the cafe, and you are the only customers at the moment.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:00 pm
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Figures I'd waste a great roll on that:P  
Marcus enters next, still looking a bit annoyed, but being inside already improving his mood. He takes off his hat and joins the others after ordering a coffee.

"Fairly confident no one followed me on the way here."

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's good," says Amy. "I was looking too, and I didn't see anyone either. Of course, you'd have to be crazy to go out in weather like this." She chuckles, then fills everyone in on exactly what Jackson had told her. "He said we still have time to stop them, but not who 'they' are."

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:52 am
by jp1885

"Maybe he means these voodoo gangster jerks? At any rate, we had suspicions this stuff was connected to Larkin and this confirms it. Maybe 'she' is that smoke thing that seemed to have possessed the guy when we fought him at the farm."

Cynthia shudders at the memory of those black, souless eyes and takes a gulp of hot coffee to fight off the chill.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:39 am
by Anatomist
Dr. Sanchez arrives with his shoulder bag in place, stuffed with papers and books that he's been researching lately and on the bottom wrapt in a piece of cloth 8 by 8 cm a golden mask with a mirror like back surface.

As he walks in and takes of his coat he assures himself that his gun is properly holstered under his arm and the dress jacket covers it.

nemesio looks around and addresses Cynthia "Seems all her but Atauchi he probably just around the corner. Who is that lady?" making a nod towards Rebecca.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:10 pm
by jp1885

“Oh yeah, I forgot you guys weren’t there yesterday. This is Rebecca Shosenburg: the journalist who’s been looking into the same stuff we’ve been looking into. Rebecca, wanna fill everyone in on what you told us last night?”

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"But Jackson didn't know anything about the Voodoo Murders when I mentioned them," says Amy. "He must have been talking about something else. I guess we'll find out in a few minutes."

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:53 pm
by Leonulf
Rebecca nods to the others at the table at her introduction "To cut a long story short we could do with getting our hands on Hilton's notes that were taken by the police. This is not just a few people linked to gangsters that have wound up on the wrong side of a graveyard - the number of people who have vanished that may be related to all this is in the dozerns. What seem's obvious however is that if you find too much out about this whole affair - your gonna disappear. Now despite being told im chasing nothing, I don't have it in me to drop a story - and theres strength in numbers."

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:04 pm
by Silver Priest
"I have a contact in the police," Marcus says. "Doubt I can get the notes, but I might be able to persuade him to let me look them over for a bit. I'll give him a call later today and see if he's agreeable."

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:36 pm
by jp1885

"Sounds good. I wanna talk to the folklorist guy, but let's find out what Jackson has to say first - he should be here in a few minutes."

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I'd like to talk to him too," says Amy.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:54 am
by Raiko
OOC,[ooc]Zero hasn't been online over the weekend, but I've sent a PM yesterday as he won't necessary be aware that this thread has been moving along since Thursday. I'll post that Atauchi has arrived, and continue with the adventure. Hopefully Zero will be along later today. Regarding Spot Hidden rolls, etc. If you made a spot hidden roll, please see the spoiler tag for Marcus above, in short nobody appears to be following you or hanging around suspiciously outside. @Leonulf, there are actually no other customers in the cafe at the moment, and the staff are behaving normally.[/ooc]
The Coffee Pot - Corner of 8th Avenue and West 23rd Street
12:03pm - Thursday 15th January, 1925

Atauchi arrives a few minutes after the other investigators, he nods and takes a seat.

The minutes tick by as the investigators discuss what they know and Amy barely contains her excitement as she awaits Jackson's arrival.

However noon passes with no sign of the ever-punctual Jackson Elias. It is now three minutes past twelve and finally the door from the street opens, but only to admit two office workers starting their lunchbreak. The two young ladies giggle as they brush snow off their woollen coats, and they walk to the counter to order coffee.

Jackson is late.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:58 am
by Anatomist
Nemesio takes out his watch 'tick tock, thick tock' He glances at Amy 'highly unusual as we know the man, right?'

Dr.Sanchez moves to the door saluting politely and gallantly the two ladies purchasing coffee, he puts on his coat, and scan the streets as he light his pipe.
extreme success Spot hidden 89,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:04 am
by jp1885

Looking up sharply as the office workers walk in, Cynthia checks her wristwatch and frowns.

Jackson sounded pretty rattled on the phone. Maybe we should go check up on him?”

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:03 pm
by kabukiman
"It seems a good idea. But you know where to find him? Or maybe try to contact him by telephone at least?"- says Anderson

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:09 pm
by jp1885
“He’s staying at the Hotel Chelsea, opposite this place: room 410.”

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[ooc]So many great spot hidden rolls. I'll remember to be generous later, when there is something to spot.[/ooc] The coast is clear outside, nothing appears unusual. The Hotel Chelsea is a short walk of about 50 yards along 23rd Street - not directly opposite the cafe - so you're not able to see clearly if anything unusual is happening at the hotel from here, due to the bad weather.

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:32 am
by Zero
Atauchi, an experienced tracker and survivalist was perched upon a nearby fire escape with a view of both the hotel and the meeting place. With his keen eyes, he diligently observed his compatriots as they arrived one by one at the Coffee Pot. It was bitter cold, as cold as it ever got in the Andes from recollection, he steeled himself against the harsh elements and continued his vigil.
OOC:   Not for nothing, but the name of the occupation I designed for Atauchi is "Survivalist". He should always have a bonus die for checks of that kind. Just sayin' ;)  
Survival (58%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Gonna burn 5 points of luck since he may need to be in good shape if the cultists have struck again.  

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's not at all like Jackson to be late," says Amy. "Cynthia's right, we should go look for him in his hotel room. I'm getting worried."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (69% skill) looking for anyone following: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:04 am
by Silver Priest
"Well you said he was pursuing a lead, right? He might just be a little delayed with that. But given the types we're investigating, I share your concern. I'm sure he's fine, but I don't think he'd fault us for checking his hotel room. We should probably tell someone here to let Jackson know what we're doing though; if he shows up looking for us and can't find us, he might panic. 'Specially if he can't find you, Amy."

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:17 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca shuffles in her chair ready to get up and looks at Amy "It might be best if you stay here, theres a chance he could arrive late and I would rather one of us remain than get a staff member to call out to anyone arriving looking for us. As your friend said - he might panic if your not here. I am ready to go looking - it's public enough here that you should be safe but if your uncertain one of us could stay behind. But I don't think we should leave this chance - a delay means trouble."

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:13 am
by kabukiman
"Don't forget that they always target lonely persons. Let's go quick".

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 am
by jp1885

Amy if you wanna wait here, I’ll keep you company.”

Cynthia pats her friend’s arm. “I’m sure he’s ok.”

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Reconned the earlier post. Atauchi hasn't arrived yet, but let's say that both Marcus and Anderson know that he's arrived earlier to keep watch.  
Atauchi positions himself two floors up on a fire escape, attached to the front of an apartment building directly across West 23rd Street from the Hotel Chelsea. It's further than he'd like from the Coffee Pot, but he can at least see anyone entering or exiting the café and anyone lurking outside on 23rd Street. He watches all of his friends enter the Coffee Pot, as well as a dark haired young lady who arrives at the same time. No one else enters or leaves the café until shortly after noon, when two more young ladies arrive from an office building across 8th Avenue. Nobody is behaving suspiciously outside the café.
Atauchi,[ooc]Firstly, I've decided to houserule that Survival is a single skill - it's already specialised enough IMO, and Marcus bought it as a single skill anyway - so Atauchi can merge his two survival skills, or keep 55% in survival and spend the other points elsewhere. The default is 10%, so I think that he has 13 points in desert survival, but it might only be 3. If you're not sure then just spend the full 13. :)[/ooc] Now that's done, please roll survival for Atauchi keeping his vigil in the snowstorm. Failure will mean that he has a penalty die for tests until he warms up. Warming up will need 15 minutes somewhere warm, like the café. In the event of combat occurring, he only suffers the penalty for one round after which adrenaline does the trick. Now as the only investigator with a good view of the Hotel please make a Spot Hidden roll, with a penalty die if you failed the survival roll.
Hotel Chelsea
Hotel Chelsea

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm going too," insists Amy. "I don't want to wait another minute to see him again, and if the rest of you go over there and I'm not with you, he'll worry. Besides, it's not good for any of us to be by ourselves. If anyone else wants to wait here, that's all right, but otherwise we can just leave a message with the owners that we went to his room."

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:58 am
by Zero
Still at his second story perch, Atauchi watched the streets below. He produced his trusted binoculars from beneath his heavy fur-adorned coat and trained them upon the Hotel Chelsea. Unfortunately, as the man attempted to raise the ocular device into position, they slipped from his grip and dropped onto the metal grating beneath him. He muttered a curse in his native tongue, then recovered the binoculars. The lenses were caked with snow and would have to be carefully wiped clean before being of use to him again.
Spot Hidden (70%),[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Gotta warm these dice up soon or they're gonna ruin me. If there was something to see, the distraction caused him to miss it. 98 may not be a true fumble, but it was awful.  

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:43 am
by Anatomist
Realizing people is going to the Hotell Dr. Sánchez follow the others.

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:50 am
by jp1885

Cynthia grins at Amy.

“I didn’t think for one minute you’d wanna stay behind.”

Finishing her coffee, she surreptitiously checks she still has her pistol before standing up.

C’mon, let’s go.”

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:39 am
by Leonulf
"To be honest, I wouldn't wait either. Sitting around waiting doesn't suit me. Don't take this the wrong way but he has a reputation with my office, so try not to worry - he can handle himself."

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:23 am
by Raiko
The Hotel Chelsea, 222 West 23rd Street - New York
12:05pm - Thursday 15th January, 1925

Until twenty years ago the twelve story Hotel Chelsea was the tallest building in New York. Ever since its construction it has been home to many artists and authors, the most famous being Mark Twain who lived there in 1898. Some stay there for just a day or a week, others live in the famous Hotel's bohemian community for years or decades.

The receptionist in the spacious, but haphazardly furnished lobby doesn't bat an eyelid as the investigators walk in, he's used to strangers coming and going as they please. There are several residents lazing on the sofas and armchairs, chatting, reading or just contemplating life - none pay any attention to the new arrivals. The Chelsea's magnificent open iron staircase rises straight up through the heart of the hotel from the lobby. The walls of the staircase are decorated by paintings donated by guests, often in lieu of payment. Next to the staircase is an elevator with cage-type doors.
Hotel Chelsea Staircase
Hotel Chelsea Staircase
Marcus and Sánchez,You can both see Atauchi up on the fire escape across the road from the Hotel. So you don't feel that you've missed out too much by rolling an exceptional success on a 'worthless' Spot Hidden, I will award you a single bonus die each that you can spend on a future Spot Hidden / Listen / Psychology roll that I ask you to make (so you know it's needed).
Atauchi,Although he failed his spot hidden roll, Atauchi did notice Jackson Elias himself entering the Hotel at 11:39am (no successes necessary). Jackson looked like he was checking for tails, but Atauchi didn't notice anything unusual or see anyone following (not with that roll!). Jackson had plenty of time to go to his room, prepare and then make it back out to the café, but hasn't reappeared so far. Atauchi also sees his friends - and the dark haired lady - rushing to Hotel from the direction of the café (again no successes necessary). So he's free to either join them, or maintain his watch from the fire escape across the road.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:41 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:The Hotel Chelsea, 222 West 23rd Street - New York
12:05pm - Thursday 15th January, 1925
chelsea_stairs.jpg
Dr. Sánchez walks to the reception 'Excuse me, im here for Elias, Jackson, black gentleman, room number please or call him up'

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:25 pm
by Raiko
"Oh yes, Jackson, wait a sec," the receptionist looks though the register book for a moment.

"Room four ten."

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:28 pm
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:"Oh yes, Jackson, wait a sec," the receptionist looks though the register book for a moment.

"Room four ten."
Dr. Sánchez starts walking up the stairs to room 410. 'Thanks'

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:38 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia follows, one hand ready to grasp her pistol.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:47 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus follows as well, pointing out Atauchi location to the others.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy also heads upstairs with the others, excitement warring with concern within her.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:51 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca follows the group and nods at the receptionist as she walks past, as they start moving up the stairs s "I am so glad we are taking the stairs, not a fan of elevators - they tend to be noisy and we should try and make a quiet arrival in case he has company perhaps..."

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:02 pm
by Zero
Since by his timepiece, Jackson hadn't arrived at the cafe at the predetermined time, Atauchi inferred that something was almost certainly amiss. He anticipated that the others would soon be making their way towards the Chelsea Hotel to investigate their friend's absence. His supposition was confirmed moments later and when he locked his gaze with Marcus' he gestured to the other man that he would remain in place to cover the visible exits from his present vantage. The Quechua man quickly wiped the lenses of his binoculars off with a silk handkerchief and then scanned the building once more.
OOC:   @Raiko: I'll wait until you call for another Spot Hidden.  

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 pm
by Raiko
On the fourth floor landing the winding central staircase opens onto two well lit corridors. The door to room 410 is on the right hand hallway. The investigators are surprised to hear the sound of trumpet playing jazz music as they arrive on the landing.

The music is coming through the open door to room 408, it sounds like a whole jazz band might be in there rehearsing.

Jackson's door is closed, and nobody is about other than the rehearsing band.
Chelsea_Stairs.jpg
OOC:   Post what you're doing, but also make a listen roll. If you get less than a hard success (half skill) then you hear nothing over the noise of the trumpet.  
HARD Listen Success,You hear a scream from inside room 410.
OOC:   @Zero: You can roll another spot hidden now if you like, ready for when there's something to see. Atauchi is too far away to make a listen roll.  

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:08 pm
by jp1885
Listen 55% Hard success!,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia strains to listen over the sound of the music and starts at the noise she hears from Jackson's room.

"Jeez, I can hear a scream from four-ten! Jackson's in trouble!"

She readies her pistol and prepares to fling the door to room 410 open.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy approaches the door to Room 410. Normally she likes jazz, but right now it's keeping her from hearing anything.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) in the fourth floor hallway: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:14 pm
by Silver Priest
Listen 60%,[dice]0[/dice] Question, if I get a normal success on this but not hard do I still check the skill as used?
Marcus can't hear anything, but he has no reason to distrust Cynthia. He rushes to the door of room 410 and tries to kick it open if he's able.
Str 60,[dice]1[/dice] Not sure if this is what I can roll or if I can do it this turn, but figured I'd try anyway.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Hearing Cynthia's warning, Amy draws her pistol and runs to the door. She is too busy reacting to think about it.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:16 am
by Zero
Within Atauchi's mind, there was no other option than to hold his position in defiance of the freezing temperatures and biting wind. Jackson had warned him as well as the others of the dangers Larkin and de Mendoza presented. Had he not done so, the Quechua man may have been cursed to walk the earth as a kharisiri himself. He owed the man a great debt.
OOC:   Soooo... how does a 2 treat ya, Raiko?? :lol:  

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:09 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson is trying to hear anything beside the music.

Anderson: listen 26%

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm
by kabukiman
(Ignore the second role, for some reason when I posted it didn't appeared and when only I posted the second time the first roll appeared. It seems that Anderson is going to hear a concert of jazz and ignore everything else... :D

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:19 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca sees Cynthia's reaction and tries to listen.
Listen (60%),[dice]0[/dice]
"I heard it too, I hope you know how to use that pistol."

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:39 pm
by Anatomist
Listen 40%,[dice]0[/dice]
Dr. Sánchez sees the group move forward when prompted by Cynthia. He lets them pass him as he takes position at the hall entrance with the staircase keeping a overview, grasping his gun under his armpit ready to pull, point and shoot.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:26 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[ooc]Sorry been in meetings at work, and my home internet was down yesterday. @Silver Priest: You need to roll STR or below for this door, so you've just failed. You could spend a few points of luck to succeed. Alternatively you can push the roll, I'll definitely let you get the door open with your second kick - as your first roll only just failed - but you'll have completely lost the element of surprise if the second roll fails. It would be two kicks, and then still needing to barge it open. Pushing rolls isn't a reroll, it's an extended attempt, so the first kick fails unless you spend luck.[/ooc]

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:55 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   I don't really want to use luck, but I think I'll try to push it.  
[dice]0[/dice] Str 60

Seeing his first kick fail, Marcus tries again, adrenaline coursing through his veins as he realizes Jackson may be in danger.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:00 pm
by Raiko
Marcus' first kick splinters the door around the lock, his second smashes it wide open. And he and Amy burst through.

Beyond the door is a short hallway, with a bathroom off to the right. The hallway opens into a bedroom with a double bed, wardrobe, desk and a fireplace. French windows on the opposite wall open out to a balcony.

Two men stand inside the room wearing grotesque wooden tribal masks. The masks depict furious, snarling, demonic faces and have dangling strips of red leather, two feet long representing obscene tongues. Both men have been ransacking the room, but have now turned to face the smashed open door. Each holds a large machete type knife with a two-foot blade that bends at 45 degrees in the middle.

A third man, wearing an identical mask, squats over the badly wounded body of Jackson Elias. Jackson lays in a pool of his own blood, wailing in agony. He has suffered a massive abdominal injury, and his intestines hang out of the open wound; his face is also covered in blood. The crouching man has his own machete held high above his head, poised to deliver a killing blow. The man is covered in Jackson's blood, bits of gore coat the blade and splatters run down the nearest wall.
OOC:   Marcus and Amy can see into the room. Amy loses 1 SAN automatically. Both must make a SAN check or lose 1d6 SAN (so for Amy the loss is 1/1d6+1).
Sanchez and Cynitha are by the door, in cover, and so can't see into the room yet.
The door is just a normal-sized door, so it's mostly blocked by Marcus and Amy at the moment, I'll let you decide whether Rebecca and/or Anderson are in a position to see past Amy and Marcus.

The three masked assassins are surprised, and so the investigators have time for a single action each before anything else happens.  

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Jackson!" screams Amy a second after she fires and hits the man about to deliver the coup de grace to her love. Fury and determination make her shot accurate and deadly, striking the man square in the back precisely where his heart would be if he had one, which he clearly does not. And since the shot is from behind, his rib cage offers no protection whatsoever.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 75) for seeing [b]Jackson[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity is now 74. Firearms(Handgun) roll (36% skill) shooting at the man attacking [b]Jackson[/b]: [dice]1[/dice] That's an impale! :shock: I don't think I ever specified the caliber of my pistol. Shall we assume it's a .38, which is probably the most common type? Is damage equal to the maximum damage plus regular rolled damage in 7th edition in this case? Also, are we at point blank range? Not that it matters for my first shot, but it may be important for firing multiple shots per round, as the bonus die would cancel out the penalty die. With an uncancelled penalty die, I'm extremely unlikely to hit at all at my skill level.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:06 am
by Silver Priest
Raiko,My sheet says my background gives me immunity to san rolls resulting from viewing a corpse or gross injury." Would that apply here? I'll roll just in case for now.
Marcus is prepared for many things, but even he is not expecting the grizzly sight he sees before him.
San 52,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1d6 possible lose[/dice]
But he keeps his cool and raises his own pistol, firing a shot at one of the men attacking his friend.
Firearms 75%,[dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] I'd aim for the one Amy attacked in the unlikely event he's still up, otherwise one of the other two. So uh... that's an impale as well. :shock: [dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:57 pm
by jp1885
SAN 57,[dice]0[/dice]
Never one to shy away from a fight, Cynthia pushes through as the gunshots ring out. Pistol drawn, she takes in the gory sight. It is a terrible scene, but her anger at what these masked fiends have done to her old friend overrides the horror of it all.

Seeing the one guy go down, she turns her gun on the nearest survivor and fires, but in her haste the shot goes wide.
Firearms 68,[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   An equal is a pass, isn’t it?  

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:31 pm
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez sees his friends firing away at the door, he fights the urge to join in as he thinks it might get to crowded at the door. He shouts out
'What the hell are you firing at!?'

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:00 am
by Raiko
The masked assassin never strikes his final blow, Amy's shot brings him down instantly. The weird machete clatters noisily to the floor as the man's lifeless body falls on top of Jackson, his head is still twisted in Amy's direction and so the hideous mask still leers at her.

Realising that Amy has dealt with Jackson's assailant, Marcus has time to take aim at the next closest assassin, who had been ransacking the wardrobe. The bullet hits him square in the chest as he spins around to face the investigators. The masked man falls back into the cupboard and his huge knife slides slowly out of his fingers.

Knowing the odds are against him, the final masked man screams and turns towards the French windows.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:05 am
by kabukiman
Anderson as soon as he hear he gunshots, start running to the door.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:24 am
by jp1885

Having loosed off a shot and missed, Cynthia’s next priority is to help Jackson. The wound may look terrible, but if she can somehow keep him alive until medical help arrives...
First Aid 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
”Someone call an ambulance!” she yells, realising that dealing with her friend’s severe stomach wound is beyond her.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:49 am
by Raiko
Cynthia fears that Jackson's injuries might be beyond anyone's help, she doesn't even know where to start. Marcus has seen enough during the Great War to know that his friend is done for.

As well as the massive open stomach wound, Cynthia can see that a tribal symbol has been carved deeply into the skin of Jackson Elias' forehead, exactly like the victims of the Voodoo Murderer!
Jackson's head wound
Jackson's head wound
As Cynthia shouts for an ambulance, Jackson grabs her jacket in his blood soaked hands. His eyes are delirious as he whispers in the wheezing voice, "They're...all...al...alive…"

He then stares past her to Amy, a tear rolls down his bloody cheeks as his consciousness slips away, "Love you…"

The remaining masked assassin dives headlong into the windows in a desperate attempt to escape before he is also shot dead.
OOC:   @Silver Priest: Yes, I forgot about the war veteran sanity check boost.

@jp1885: Sorry I missed your previous post – yes an equal roll is a pass.

@kabukiman: Anderson is through the door now, and so can fire at the third hitman (with a penalty die, see below).

@Everyone:

Amy and Marcus can also fire, as it is a new round.

The range is point blank (1 bonus die) as long as your have at least 50 DEX, however the masked man is going to smash straight though the French window if he can, so I'm counting this as 'diving for cover' (1 penalty die). So these cancel out into a normal attack roll.

Anderson is running and behind Amy and Marcus, so gets 1 extra penalty die.

Anyone arriving behind Anderson gets 2 penalty dice (it's getting crowded, not good for a gunfight!).

Anyone firing more than 1 shot also gets an extra penalty die.  
Meanwhile, out of 23rd Street…

Atauchi hears the distinctive sound of gunshots from inside the Chelsea Hotel, but cannot see anything happening inside. He does notice that a black car is sat idling at the corner of the hotel, near to an alleyway. It must have been waiting there for a while because the snow has melted under the car.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:43 pm
by Leonulf
Rebecca rushes in behind Anderson "Holy horsefeathers, he's always been a livewire but this takes the mark. I'll run down to reception and get them to call an ambulance. - Amy slap him, keep him awake if you can until an ambulance arrives."

Rebecca turns and speeds off as fast as she can back downstairs to the nearest telephone.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:09 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus curses and aims for the last attacker, looking to take down the man who had mortally wounded his friend.
Firearms 75%,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] penalty So... I think that's still a success? Damage if so [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:02 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy flies to Jackson's side, tears in her eyes, all thoughts of everything else forgotten. Shoving aside the man she had just shot, she does everything she can to stop the bleeding and keep Jackson stable. "Don't die, please don't die!" she sobs. "I won't let you die! I love you, Jackson!" When she has done all she can, she gives him a kiss.
OOC,First Aid roll (51% skill) trying to save [b]Jackson[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] I'm spending 1 Luck to make that a success.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:20 am
by kabukiman
Anderson:
Handgun: 65%

[dice]0[/dice]

Penalty:
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:42 pm
by Raiko
The murderer crashes into the French windows as Marcus and Anderson fire, smashing them open and sprawling onto the balcony.

He drops his machete, which slides over the edge and clatters down the fire escape towards the alleyway behind the Hotel Chelsea. A crumpled piece of paper blows out of his other hand back into the hotel room, swirling around the room with snowflakes carried in by the bitter wind.
OOC:   @kabukiman: If you want to spend 2 points of luck, then you'll hit the assassin. Otherwise you missed.
There's no danger of friendly fire though, as you didn't roll a fumble. Marcus' shot might not be enough to stop him.  
Jackson's eyes open again, but he is very weak now. Amy knows that he's not going to make it. He speaks so weakly that she can barely hear him now.

"Sorry kiddo," Jackson chuckles sadly, coughing up blood, "so dumb, I thought it was you at the door..."

He gasps for breath and nearly passes out again, "Sent... my... n... notes... to... Jonahhhh... you've... got to... stop... them..."

Another cough, more blood.

"ssssstill... time..."
OOC:   Jackson Elias is beyond help I'm afraid. :cry:
Amy's first aid success has bought you a few more words with him though. Don't waste too many words, Jackson doesn't have time for long questions.

Jonah Kensington (of Prospero House Publishing) is Jackson's editor and publisher. Amy certainly knows him.  

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:21 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson aimed at the masked man; for a moment he thought he missed, but then he saw some drops of blood.

Firearm: 1d10

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:47 pm
by Anatomist
Leonulf wrote:Rebecca rushes in behind Anderson "Holy horsefeathers, he's always been a livewire but this takes the mark. I'll run down to reception and get them to call an ambulance. - Amy slap him, keep him awake if you can until an ambulance arrives."

Rebecca turns and speeds off as fast as she can back downstairs to the nearest telephone.
Dr. Sánchez sees Rebecca run by him at the top of the stair, understanding what has transpired hearing the guns blasts, yells and sobbing from
room 410.
OOC:   Nemesio Sánchez will keep in the background until things calm down. Then he will search the rom inch by inch, taking as much time he need.
success Spot Hidden 89%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:50 am
by Zero
In spite of the shrieking winds, Atauchi had detected the unmistakable sound of gunfire from within the Chelsea Hotel. He had little doubt that his friends were somehow involved with the incident. He trained his binoculars upon the idling vehicle he had noticed moments earlier, and attempted to spot any occupants within. Having seen no one, the Quechua man tucked the binoculars back beneath his coat and descended the ladder. Once he reached street level, he took note of the vehicle's registration and then continued to observe it. Somehow, he felt that it was connected to what was transpiring inside.

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Stop who?" asks Amy, blinking back tears as she gently squeezes Jackson's hand. thinking back to what he had intended to be his last words. "Who is all alive?"

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:41 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   I’m writing this assuming that the 3rd cultist is either killed or escapes, as Cynthia has already taken her shot.  
Cynthia stands up and steps back from Jackson and Amy. As distraught as she is (Jackson had saved her life at least twice in Peru), she is tactful enough to leave the couple alone for their final moments together.

The streetwise side of her character quickly overriding her grief, her thoughts turn to the cops - potentially corrupt as they are. No doubt they will have been called by now. If she is seen at the scene, covered in Jackson’s blood...

“We gotta see what these murdering bastards have got on them and scram before the cops take the evidence and pin this on us.”
Spot Hidden 51% to search the cultists,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:18 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   @Zero: Make a stealth roll for Atauchi.
You can have a bonus die, as the conditions make you hard to spot.  
Room 410

The masked man hits the ground hard after crashing through the French windows, he manages to attempt to rise, but his arms lack the strength to push him up. He lays lifeless on the balcony, the snow around his body already turning to red slush around him.

Jackson's last ounces of strength are draining from him as he lays dying in Amy's arms. He makes a last effort to speak.

"The expedition... all... al... al... ive..."

He looks into her eyes sadly, "Sorry... sssso... collld...

"Thought it was you... ran to the... d... r...

"No, no, no, find Bray... day..."

Jackson coughs weakly, blood is bubbling in his mouth now, his final words are just a tiny whisper.

"ssstop... mmmm... werrr... owe... be... for... thu... g... gate..."

Jackson Elias dies in Amy's arms.

It is silent in room 410 except for the wind whistling in though the broken balcony windows, the jazz music from across the hall has stopped.
OOC:   I'll sort out what you find searching the room / bodies in the next post.  

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy wails in despair, cradling Jackson's body in her arms, her heart shattered into millions of pieces. Her entire imagined future life with him, marriage and children and grandchildren, is wiped out in an instant. She can't help but feel responsible for his death knowing that he thought it was her at the door, though on some level she realizes that it isn't really her fault. Finally, she comes to the conclusion that the best way she can honor his memory is to finish his life's work, to fulfill his final request, no matter how long it takes or what it costs her. "The expedition members are all alive," she says at last. "But the bodies were found. Although, depending on the state they were in, the authorities might have just assumed that's who they were because they were white. They could have been servants or others hired by the expedition. Bray day must be Jack Brady, Roger Carlyle's friend!"

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:22 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus is silent as he pulls out a cigarette. Those who closely examine him can see that his hand is slightly shaking.

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry." He tells Amy. "At least his last sight was of you, rather than his killer."

He shakes his head at Cynthia. "Wish we could, but too much ties us to this place. We asked the receptionist, for one. And Rebecca's going for an ambulance; she'll be connected to us." He looks around the room. "Judging by the state of things these guys were looking for something. We should see if they found it." He retrieves the piece of paper the last attacker had dropped, then goes to see if any of them are still alive. He'd try to stabilize them if he could, but only to learn more about what they were up to here; he wasn't planning on letting any of them leave this room alive.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:52 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca arrives at the front desk "Call an ambulance now for room 410 - it's urgent, I think there has been a violent robbery up there and a man is injured".

After frantically yelling at the reception she runs back the others.
"An ambulance should be on it's way, probably with the law in tow..." she looks at the scene and see's Amy's expression and sobbing "Oh doll im so sorry. I hate to make things worse but we probably don't want to be here when the law arrive. They clocked us on the way to the room anyway - but hopefully don't have any names to put to our faces. I just said it looks like a robbery had gone wrong - but remember, the police have been "tidying up" anyone and anything connected to all this. We need to quickly grab anything that could be useful as evidence and disappear out of here.".

"I really am sorry Amy".
Spot Hidden 65%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:06 am
by kabukiman
"I'm very sorry Amy, I cannot imagine how you are feeling".

Then Anderson says to Marcus:
"You are right, We should try to find what those bastards were doing here".

Spot Hidden: 75%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," mumbles Amy, sniffling. "Marcus is right, we need to stay and talk to the cops. They can't all be crooked. And now we have the real Voodoo Murderers, so we can clear Hilton Adams. He has a perfect alibi. He couldn't have done this while he's in Sing Sing. Look, it's the same symbol they carved into his head..." Seeing what they've done to her beloved brings on a fresh round of tears, and she wraps her arms around Cynthia and cries into her shoulder.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:34 am
by jp1885

Cynthia hugs Amy fiercely. She says nothing - there’s nothing she can say that will make this any better - but she is there for her friend.

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:11 pm
by Zero
Atauchi took position behind a second parked vehicle not far from the one he intended to observe. As he approached, he hoped that the blowing snow would conceal him when cover was unavailable. The tracker had inadvertently exposed his head when he reached the front of the vehicle's cabin, but was fortunately concealed by a storm-braving pedestrian who had passed between himself and his objective. He quickly stepped back behind cover.
Stealth (50%),[dice]0[/dice]
Bonus Die (1d10),[dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   :roll: Man, these dice don't want me to tick off any new skills. Spending 2 more points of Luck to make that 52 a success... le sigh.  

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:10 am
by Leonulf
"Amy your right, there are good cops too, if this is the play you want to make I will support it. All I ask is we keep an eye out behind us, there are some very bad cops out there and they will want to silence the truth, what we have here is evidence of who has been murdering - not who has been covering things up, it will put us out in the open with little protection. But it isn't fair on Adamseither if we don't follow through here, we should make sure this clears him.".

Rebecca makes a few notes on her notebook regarding what has transpired, "I hope you won't object but I will need to call this in at the paper, I have some free reign but the paper has been my life. It will hit the streets anyway, but I can get it out first and make sure people know Jackson was brave and was fighting them off. Other papers might not be so kind, and it helps keep my editor off my back so I can see where else this leads."

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:26 pm
by jp1885

"Good idea," says Cynthia, disentangling herself from a sobbing Amy as gently as possible. "The sooner this gets to the press, the sooner Adams can be exonerated and the harder it'll be to frame anyone else for the killings."

She stops, suddenly aware that the jazz music has ended.

"Hey, if these jerks put that music on to mask the sound of their activities, then one of them has just cut the sound. Hadn't we better check?"

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, you should definitely call it in, Rebecca," says Amy between sobs. "Not only do we need to get the truth out, but publicity is our best shield. It will be harder for them to move on us if we're famous."

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:13 pm
by Leonulf
"I am glad we are in agreement there, I will make that call once we are done here. Your right that music stopping is giving me alarm bells now as well, the shock of this is starting to subside but now I am feeling paranoid. Could be nothing, could be something.".

Rebecca edges her head out the doorway to look back down the hall.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 pm
by Raiko
Post redacted- this related to Atauchi only.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Reply for Dr Sánchez  
Outside Room 410

A man peers cautiously out of the open door of room 408 towards Dr Sánchez. He's pale faced, with thinning blond hair and round spectacles and he is wearing a black dinner suit, with the shirt open at the collar. He has a brass trumpet in his hand.

"What the hell's happening? Is everyone okay?"

OOC:   I'm currently redoing my room 410 post, for the attention of the other investigators. Will have it posted during my lunch break, as long as I can manage to attach several images with my phone data connection.  

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:27 pm
by Raiko
Room 410 - The Hotel Chelsea, 222 West 23rd Street - New York

Marcus catches the fluttering piece of paper, dropped by the murderer as he attempted his escape. It is a typed letter on Harvard University stationary, addressed to Jackson - care of his New York publishers - dated November 7, 1924.
Screenshot_20200219-160133_Xodo Docs.jpg
Handout: Harvard Letter.

All three of Jackson's murderers are dead. The dead man who was ransacking the wardrobe is white, the other two bodies are black. Each wears a rumbled suit and a tribal mask and carried one of the crooked machetes.

None of the three carry any identification, although the white man has a large leather wallet containing a dirty syringe and two vials of liquid. There are needle track marks on the dead man's arms. A letter has been stuffed into his pocket that was originally sent to Roger Carlyle. Dated 3rd March, 1919 it has been sent by M. Warren Besart of Cairo, Egypt and references "singular curios" which might be of interest to Carlyle.
Screenshot_20200219-160011_Xodo Docs.jpg
Handout: Cairo Letter

The dead man on the balcony has a business card in his pocket for Emerson Imports 648 West 47th Street, New York. "Silas N'Kwane" has been written on the back of the card, in what appears to be Jackson Elias' handwriting.
Screenshot_20200219-160110_Xodo Docs.jpg
Handout: Emerson Card

The killer who was crouched over Jackson when the investigators arrived has a photograph of some junk boats and a steam yacht on a river in his pocket. There are some distinctive looking buildings in the background of the photo, and the letters DAR are the only visible part of the yacht's name.
20200219_160356.jpg
Handout: River Photo

On the floor, by the bodies of Jackson and his killer is a blood splattered business card for the Penhew Foundation in London, originally set up by Sir Aubrey Penhew of the ill-fated Carlyle Expedition, the card lists Edward Gavigan as the foundation director.
Screenshot_20200219-155913_Xodo Docs.jpg
Handout: Penhew Card

Inside Jackson's own jacket pocket is matchbook for the "Stumbling Tiger Bar - 10 Lantern Street - Shanghai Fun and Friends". Carved into Jackson's head is the calling mark of the "Voodoo Murderer."
20200219_160436.jpg
Handout: Matchbox
Screenshot_20200219-160227_Xodo Docs.jpg
Handout: Jackson's Head Wound

Finally, on the floor of room next to the bedside drawers, is a book A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom - Volume 2, by Andrew Dickson White. A paper handbill flier has been used as a bookmark - marking the beginning of Chapter XIV "From Fetish to Hygiene."

The handbill advertises a lecture "The Cult of Darkness in Polynesia & the South West Pacific" by Professor Anthony Cowles Ph.D of the University of Sydney, Australia. The lecture is "Tonight Only" at New York University's Schuyler Hall, although there is no date given.
Screenshot_20200219-160200_Xodo Docs.jpg
Handout: Cowles Lecture Flier

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy gradually comes to her senses and begins to examine the clues that have been found. The flyer for the lecture catches her attention. "I can find out if this lecture is actually tonight," she says. "It probably is. Jackson didn't even get back until this morning. If it already took place, I could speak to Professor Cowles. If it is tonight, I'd like to attend." She thinks for a moment. "We also have the meeting with Bradley Gray tomorrow morning, and we should still keep that. Erica Carlyle would need to know that her brother may still be alive. But if the expedition members are all alive, why haven't they been seen in the past six years? Why not reappear publicly? What have they been doing all this time?"

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:56 pm
by jp1885

"Damned if I know..."

Cynthia's head swims - one minute they're shooting masked murderers over the mutilated body of their friend and the next they're cataloguing clues. She looks around for Shosenburg.

"This is just frikkin' peachy! Where's that reporter? We need her to get this story to press before the law comes down on us. Otherwise we ain't gonna be talking to anyone but the cops, and we know where that's gonna lead!"

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:46 am
by Silver Priest
"This Atwright bird can tell us whatever it was Jackson was searching for," Marcus says, showing them the letter he had found. "And this Silas N'Kwane is one of the folks Adams' wife spoke to who told her these were ritual killings. Maybe Jackson spoke to him as well?" He gives a low whistle at everything else. "Seems like our old friend was quite the world traveler, too."

"If they're all still alive, maybe they ran afoul of someone, though it would have to be powerful indeed to spook someone like the Carlyle's. But if they were dealing with the same people who killed Jackson I can understand why they might be hiding."

I agree with Cynthia though-- we need to deal with the police before we worry about any of this. Careful though-- we already know at least some of them are dirty and willing to frame an innocent man,which makes me think we're dealing with some well connected people here."

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:29 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca leans against the doorway "Im right here, I want to go with Amy later - hopefully the tonight on the flyer is actually tonight, it could be a good lead. I am going to go back to the lobby and speak to my editor on the phone now. Looks like more than one potential lead, no offense but people are dropping so we need to follow up them up while they are still hot.". Shes makes off for the lobby to make her call.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:42 am
by Anatomist
Raiko wrote:
OOC:   Reply for Dr Sánchez  
Outside Room 410

A man peers cautiously out of the open door of room 408 towards Dr Sánchez. He's pale faced, with thinning blond hair and round spectacles and he is wearing a black dinner suit, with the shirt open at the collar. He has a brass trumpet in his hand.

"What the hell's happening? Is everyone okay?"
Not wanting any loose ends Nemesio Sánchez talks fast as in a hurry trying to get the musician to turn and get back into room 408.
'Hold there for a second buddy, might not be safe for now, got back to your room, quickly!, common go go!'
hard success Fast Talk 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   any chanse Nemesio Sánchez heard Cynthia?
"Hey, if these jerks put that music on to mask the sound of their activities, then one of them has just cut the sound. Hadn't we better check?"  

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:31 am
by kabukiman
"As soon as we get out of here we should try to investigate those clues. But we must keep in groups of three: we had the advantage of numbers and surprise and that turn to our advantage.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:00 am
by jp1885

"Yeah, makes sense. I still wanna speak to Lemming, but are we gonna leave the scene of the crime?"

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:33 pm
by Raiko
With a startled look on his face, the trumpet player ducks back into his room and shuts the door.

Sánchez hears him locking the door.
OOC:   @Anatomist: Yes you can assume that Nemesio heard everything said inside room 410.
(Plus I always imagine Cynthia is quite loud anyway. ;))  

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No, we all have to stay and talk to the police first," says Amy. "At least there are so many witnesses that they can't possibly sweep it under the rug. And with the press involved, they'll have to be very careful what they do."

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:14 am
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez walks over to the 410 room door 'Hey Cinthya, Marcus... I got these musicians to return to room 408, Marcus could you step out to the balcony and check they are not fleeing as rats?, What would you do with them Cinthya? check them how?'

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:21 pm
by jp1885

“I just thought they might’ve been playing music to mask the sound of the attack in here - gettin’ paranoid I guess.” Cynthia shrugs at Dr. Sanchez. “Though I guess we’ve all got good cause to be paranoid now.”

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:37 pm
by Silver Priest
"Sure." Marcus nods, stepping out onto the fire escape. He lights up and scans for any movement from the next room over.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:11 am
by Raiko
The musician appears to be staying put inside Room 408, Marcus can't see anything happening.

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:43 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca grabs the lobby telephone and calls for her editor:

"Grave news im afraid, Jackson is dead - but he certainly was not involved in all those killings, rather he was a victim of them. I want to be clear in this however - I want it printed today, and make sure there is an emphasis on how he bravely fought off the attackers before dying, make him a hero. He's given us a lot of stories over the years lets not let his death be in vain. Not sure how you want to handle the police, there is evidence of corruption in the 14th precinct, I don't think they can openly touch us easily now but we may want to tread carefully and not upset the decent officers elsewhere, your better at handling politics than me. I know I am in the habit of dictating actions to you - but we both know there is more to come, and this afternoons edition is going to be breaking the biggest event of all the papers so thank me later, don't dilly dally we need you to break this as soon as possible.".

Rebecca spends a few minutes going over any details and questions her editor has before going back up to the room.
OOC,adjusted slightly (re. news edition as per note below)

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,In 1925, many papers regularly put out more than one edition per day, so maybe this could go out in an afternoon or evening edition. In rare cases, when huge news breaks, papers would put out an extra edition.

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:19 am
by Zero
Post redacted by Raiko - this related to Atauchi only.

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:44 pm
by Raiko

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:00 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   Rebecca is calling her editor, not Cynthia :)  
Listen 55% extreme success,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The police are almost here," says Amy, hearing the sirens.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) to hear the sirens: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:59 pm
by jp1885

“You’re right,” Cynthia grimaces. “Let’s hope they’re not crooked ones. We’d better pocket this stuff we’ve found in case it gets ‘lost’ in the evidence locker.”

She surveys the scene, sighing sadly.

“At leads this exonerates Adams; Rebecca and the press will see to that.”

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:04 pm
by Anatomist
Nemesio Sánchez frowns 'I'm off, the desk could identify me' I'm taking the fire ladder I'm not up for questioning'
He promptly goes over to the balcony looking for the fire escape.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:32 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus raises an eyebrow as Nemesio comes out. "Where are you going, Doc? I don't think the cops would be too happy if you took off."

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:07 am
by Anatomist
Silver Priest wrote:Marcus raises an eyebrow as Nemesio comes out. "Where are you going, Doc? I don't think the cops would be too happy if you took off."
'They would have to catch me first, wouldn't they... I can be identified by the desk, im not risking any questioning'

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:47 am
by jp1885

“Think about it Professor, a foreigner, running from the murder scene; they’d have the perfect excuse to hunt you down and make you the number one subject! You’ll be identified by the receptionist in any case. Better stay here and we can all vouch for each other.”

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 am
by Anatomist
jp1885 wrote:
“Think about it Professor, a foreigner, running from the murder scene; they’d have the perfect excuse to hunt you down and make you the number one subject! You’ll be identified by the receptionist in any case. Better stay here and we can all vouch for each other.”
Dr. Sánchez mutters: 'Dios mio!... alright then, you better be right on this one Cynthia'

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:50 am
by jp1885
Cynthia smirks. ”Well, if I ain’t, then we’re all screwed...”

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll be all right as long as we all stick together," says Amy.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:18 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca makes her way back into the room.

"Well the whole city is going to know what happened before the end of today, did I miss anything while I was downstairs?".

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:54 pm
by jp1885

“We found a few clues we don’t really want the cops to know we got, but that’s about it. We’ll show you when it’s safe. In the meantime, can you get a photographer up here? A picture paints a thousand words and all that jazz.”

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:47 pm
by Leonulf
Spoiler:
OOC, Can i assume that the editor said one would be on his way now - or do I need go back to the lobby to make another call?

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:55 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   Yes, your editor is sending a photographer straight away - and is holding the front page of the evening edition  

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 am
by Leonulf
Rebecca lets out a small sly grin.

"One is already on it's way".

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia nods.

“Peachy. Let’s hope the cops don’t stop him on the way. I wonder if anyone else has a camera around here? Y’know, just in case.”

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:44 am
by Zero

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:15 pm
by Raiko
Inside room 410 the investigators hear the cop cars pull up outside, a minute later they hear the sound of heavy footsteps jogging along the corridor.

The first cop is a burly sergeant, his revolver is drawn as he steps through the door into Jackson's room, "Police! Nobody moo..."

He stops mid-sentence, visibly shaken by the scale of the bloodshed inside Room 410 of the Hotel Chelsea, "...Holy Mary, Mother of God."

"Step away from the bodies, what the hell?"

Two other cops follow him through the door, one gags and barely stops himself vomiting when he sees Jackson's exposed intestines.

All three cops look panicked, all have their handguns more or less aimed at the investigators.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy slowly raises her hands and backs away from the bodies, her face streaked with tears.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:45 am
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez takes a few steps sway from the bodies towards the balcony.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:14 am
by jp1885

Cynthia also backs away, hands raised. Thinking fast, she tries to work out how to turn the situation to their advantage. With the cops obviously panicking, she thinks they might be susceptible to persuasion.

“Officers, I-I think you might’ve just caught the Voodoo Killer!”

She stammers, nodding at the guy in the mask and praying that the photographer will arrive soon.

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:00 pm
by Silver Priest
"Nice of you to join us, officers," Marcus says with a dry tone.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:18 am
by Raiko
The sergeant stares at the assassin's tribal mask, then looks back at Cynthia visibly confused.

The younger officer, who still looks like he might puke at any second asks, "Didn't the 14th arrest the Voodoo killer already Sarge?"

This brings the sergeant to his senses, he nods and says, "Go to the lobby and call Lieutenant Poole, he's going to want to see this."
Marcus,make a KNOW or a LUCK check - whichever is higher. You might know who Lt Poole is.
Holstering his gun as the junior cop dashes downstairs, the sergeant says, "Well now that we've finally joined you, how about you explain what the hell happened here."

"It might take a while for the Lieutenant to get here, so no need to skip the details."

OOC,No need to write lengthy details, if you speak about these events to any of the cops, just basically summarise how truthful you are.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy is completely honest about what happened when they confronted the killers, freely admitting that she shot the dead assassin just as he was about to deliver the coup de grace to Jackson Elias and allowing the police to take her pistol as evidence. She cries when she relives Jackson's death, though she knows she did everything she possibly could to save him.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:19 am
by Silver Priest
Know 65%,I think Know is EDU? [dice]0[/dice]
Marcus answers whatever questions the police have truthfully, but otherwise lets the others handle things.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:07 am
by jp1885

Cynthia follows the others’ lead, telling the truth about their confrontation with the killers but nothing else. She also tries to stoke up some inter-precinct rivalry.

“Maybe the 14th got the wrong guy - can’t be many killers goin’ ‘round carving stuff on people’s heads like that.”

She studies the Sergeant to see if she’s elicited a reaction.
Psychology 79% FAIL,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:57 am
by Raiko
"Looks like you might be right Miss," replies the sergeant in a deadpan tone. His expression is unreadable.

He begins methodically taking notes as the investigators recount the events at the Hotel Chelsea, maintaining the same neutral demeanour as he scribbles in his notepad, pausing occasionally to ask additional questions.

When Amy begins to cry the sergeant suggests that everyone step out into the hallway, which is being kept clear by one of the other cops. However before anyone can move a commotion can be heard from the direction of the staircase.

"Freedom of the press! No look here officer, I got every right to come through, my editor needs to know that Miss Shosenburg is safe!"

It seems that Rebecca's photographer has arrived before the NYPD Lieutenant.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Th-thank you, Sergeant," says Amy, dabbing her tears with her handkerchief.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:08 am
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez, stays quiet and follows the others as they are moved to the hall.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:17 am
by jp1885

Nodding approvingly at Rebecca, Cynthia follows the others out, careful to keep out of any photographs.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:41 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus tries to ape Cynthia, also staying out of the camera.

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:16 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson has his hands raised
"The university will love to hear this"
He only answers any direct questions, and will leave to the others most of the conversation. He don't want to risk to tell more than it is needed.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:09 am
by Raiko
The sergeant leaves the investigators standing in the hallway as he dashes to ensure that the protesting photographer in ushered back down to the lobby. He manages to snap a photograph of Amy wiping away her tears before being dragged down the stairs.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where's Rebecca?" asks Amy, looking around once she realizes she's been photographed. If anyone can keep her picture from being published and keep her name out of the story, it's her. If those details get into the papers, she could become a target.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:30 am
by Raiko
"I'm right here Amy," Rebecca replies from behind Marcus.

"Don't worry, he's a Times photographer."

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy nods, certain that Rebecca understands and can take care of it. While she knows that this is Rebecca's big story, and she wouldn't normally mind being portrayed as a hero, right now there's more protection in anonymity. Heroes end up dead all too often, as the Great War had proved.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:32 am
by Raiko
With the photographer forced back downstairs the sergeant returns and continues listening to the story of what happened - taking extensive notes and occasionally nodding. The hallway is kept clear - all the other guests from this floor having been evacuated down to the lobby - and so it is now possible to talk to the police without standing in sight of Jackson's gruesome corpse.

It takes almost another thirty minutes before the Lieutenant finally arrives, by which time most details have been recorded in the sergeants notepad.

"Wait here please."

The sergeant walks over and confers with the newly arrived Lieutenant Poole in a hushed tone, far enough away to make eavesdropping difficult. He points to his notes and to the investigators several times.

Lieutenant Poole - NYPD

Poole is a stocky, grizzled looking veteran detective. It is clear from his expression as he talks to the sergeant that he is very keen to speak to the investigators.
OOC:   If you'd like to attempt to listen in on the whispered conversation between the two cops, it's a hard listen test (half skill value).  

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy hears every word.
OOC,Listen roll (55 / 2 = 27.5% skill) to overhear the cops: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:48 am
by jp1885
Listen 55% Hard pass,[dice]0[/dice]
Cynthia can also make out what’s being said - just.

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:08 am
by Anatomist
Listen roll (40 / 2 = 20% skill) to overhear the cops,[dice]0[/dice]
Dr.Sánchez notices the girls been able to listen, he leans a bit forward but hears nothing.

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:48 pm
by Raiko
For those who overheard the cops,[b]Sergeant: [/b] [color=#0000BF]"The victim is their friend [b]Jackson Elias[/b], Lieutenant. He's got a symbol carved in his head like the Voodoo murderer leaves. These people arrived while [b]Elias [/b]was still alive. They took down three attackers, but couldn't manage to save [b]Elias[/b]." "I heard that you didn't believe that [b]Adams[/b] was the killer. These people claim that [b]Jackson Elias' [/b]killers are the real Voodoo murders - the attack fits and the killers are wearing the freakiest masks you've ever seen." "So I contacted you immediately sir." [/color] [b]Poole:[/b] [color=#004080]"Okay, the did the right thing [b]Sarge[/b]. Anything else I should know?"[/color] [b]Sergeant:[/b] [color=#0000BF]"That girl was engaged to [b]Elias[/b], and that one," [/color]he points at first [b]Amy [/b]then [b]Rebecca[/b], [color=#0000BF]"is [b]Rebecca Shosenburg[/b], she's the one who wrote the stories in the Times claiming that [b]Adams [/b]is innocent."[/color] [b]Poole:[/b] [color=#004080]"I'll take it from here, thank you. Keep this between you and me. [b]Captain Robson[/b] at the 14th is the [b]Chief [/b]and the [b]Mayor's [/b]poster boy at the moment. And he won't take kindly if he hears that anyone suspects his investigation was mishandled or worse."[/color]
Poole finishes talking to the sergeant and approaches the investigators.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Sergeant Quinn said that you knew the victim?"

"He also said that you killed his murderers and that you claimed that your friend's death is linked to the Voodoo murders."

The detective lieutenant looks suitable sombre as he looks at each of Jackson's friends in turn.

"So I suppose you'll need to start again from the beginning and tell me what happened here."

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:44 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia relaxes a little. From what she can overhear, Lieutenant Poole is on the same wavelength as her and also thinks Adams is innocent. She wonders about this Captain Robson though...

She tells him the partial truth: stating how she became interested in the Voodoo Killer in her capacity as a psychology student. After roping in her friends and finding out what she could about the case from newspaper reports, she visited Adams and was convinced of his innocence. This led her to a meeting with Millie and Rebecca.

She and her friends had arranged to meet their mutual pal Jackson and came to his room when he failed to show up. What happened next is evident.

Why was he targeted? She doesn't know. Jackson wanted to talk about some research he was into, but obviously the poor guy never had the chance.

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

Amy tearfully retells her account to Lt. Poole, ready to answer any further questions he has for her. She explains that she and Cynthia are friends and roommates, and that she has been helping her do research on the Voodoo Murders.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:12 am
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez will as long he's under the polices radar, keep quiet and follow along with the others. If asked he will answer in so broken English he can.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:53 pm
by Silver Priest
Listen hard 30%,[dice]0[/dice]

Marcus
will answer any questions Poole asks him, but otherwise remain quiet. He's not willing to give up information unsolicited, especially with what he's known of the police's involvement of the case so far.

He does however offer up one tidbit. "Jackson was researching The Carlyle Expedition. Claimed he found something important, but never got to tell us what."

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:11 am
by Raiko
Poole takes a moment to remember what the Carlyle Expedition was, "Carlyle - he's playboy who got murdered in Africa somewhere isn't he?"

The lieutenant grimaces, "It seems a stretch that he'd be killed in New York over a case from five or six years ago, thousands of miles away.

"Was Jackson Elias aware that you were researching the Voodoo murders? Did he visit Hilton Adams with you?"

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, Jackson only got back to New York this morning," says Amy. "We got a telegram from him a couple of days ago saying he was coming back and arranging to meet us. There may be a connection, though. One of the previous victims, Victoria Post, was acquainted with Erica Carlyle, the sister of Roger Carlyle."

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:22 am
by Raiko
"This morning?" Poole looks puzzled and checks his notebook.

"The hotel receptionist said that Jackson checked in the night before last," he points to his notes, "Yep, 8pm Tuesday 13th January."

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"He did?" says Amy, equally confused. "Well, his telegram said he was arriving today. Maybe the ship came in early, but why wouldn't he have contacted us?" She shows him the telegram:

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:32 am
by Silver Priest
"Odd," Marcus frowns. "I suppose the hotel staff might know a thing or two, though I doubt he told them where he was going if he went out today at all."

He's tempted to mention Peru, and tell a version of it sans unnatural elements, but is torn. There's no proof any of this was connected yet, and by mentioning it they'd almost certainly eventually have to come clean in a way that could get them thrown in the loony bin. Add to that, while Poole seemed helpful so far Marcus couldn't be sure as to his reliability. For now, he keeps his mouth shut until he can consult with the others.

Re: [IC]Chapter 1.5 - Cold Tidings

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:18 pm
by Raiko
"Hmm, this is certainly strange," agrees Poole. "I wonder what Jackson was up to yesterday that meant he didn't want to let you know he was back in the city..."

He looks thoughtful for a second and then asks, "Have you had any contact with him since he returned to the city? Did you know in advance to meet up at the Hotel Chelsea? And have you mentioned the Voodoo Murders to him?"

The detective looks intently at the investigators, and at Amy in particular, "I'm sorry to have to say this, but I'm just trying to establish whether Jackson might have uncovered something himself, or whether your activities might have led to the killers targeting Jackson.

"If this attack was brought about by Jackson's own actions, then that would suggest a definite link between this 'Carlyle mystery' that he was investigating and the Voodoo Murders. It doesn't make any sense, but neither does a coincidental random attack at the exact same time as his fiancée researches the killings."

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"We weren't supposed to meet here," says Amy. "He called us at about a quarter to ten this morning. He let us know he was staying here, but he wanted to meet at the Coffee Pot across the street at noon. He said he had to check something out first. When he didn't show up on time - Jackson was always punctual - we came here to his room to see if something was wrong. It sure was...He did sound afraid on the phone, but he didn't tell us about what."

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:35 pm
by jp1885

“I can confirm that,” says Cynthia. “He sounded pretty nervous when I answered the phone. Perhaps he knew he was in danger and maybe didn’t want to expose us to it?”

While talking, she tries to read the lieutenant to see if any of this information elicits a reaction.
Psychology 79% pass,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:42 pm
by Raiko
The detective takes his time again, mulling over his thoughts before speaking, "Okay, so if you weren't planning to meet here, that does rule out leading the killers to him.

"This can't be a random attack, so the killers were already after Jackson, probably from what he did yesterday or this morning. "Did he give any information about what he was checking? Or what he was scared of?"

For Psychology success,You would say that Lieutenant Poole is intrigued and keen to learn more. Maybe guarded as well, taking care not to show his own hand.

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:09 pm
by jp1885

Cynthia chooses her words carefully, opting not to mention Jackson's belief that members of the Carlyle expedition were still alive. She's pretty sure Poole is on the level, but isn't taking any chances.

"I remember Amy tellng me that he was looking into a 'she'. I don't know who 'she' is, but we've linked some of the voodo murder victims to someone called Maybelle: she runs some joint or other. Perhaps she's the 'she'?"

It doesn't seem right talking anout the murders when the latest victim is so close by.

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"When I mentioned the Voodoo Murders to Jackson, he'd never heard of them," adds Amy, feeling more comfortable with trusting the lieutenant. "But he was more worried about us than about himself. He said he was sure he was being watched, though, and he said we might be watched too. He did mention a 'she' at the end, but he didn't say who she was."
OOC,Psychology roll (61% skill) about [b]Lt. Poole[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:47 pm
by Raiko
"A Maybelle who has a joint somewhere? Fat Maybelle's in Harlem maybe? I've heard of that place."

Poole makes a note, "Thanks, I'll make some enquiries."

He looks concerned and thinks for a moment again before carrying on, "From what happened today Miss Lawrence, it appears that Jackson was correct that he was being watched, and so he might well be correct that you are also being watched.

"Hopefully the dead attackers in Jackson's room are the end of the matter, but it sound like you might all be in danger so please be vigilant until this is over. He suspected that you were in danger even without knowing about the Voodoo murders."

He stops talking again for a second and then nods to himself as though he's made his mind up about something. "Look I'm going to have to take a look at the scene myself, then I'm afraid I'll need to talk to you all again at the station to get official statements

"After that you are free to go."

He looks Rebecca in the eye, "I've read your articles Miss Shosenburg and I know that you don't intend to give up until Hilton Adams has been exonerated."

Poole points to the door of room 410, "This certainly casts doubts on the arrest and conviction, and I'm going to see it I can reopen the original case, but it doesn't prove anything. Adams could have been part of the same gang."

A look of frustration, "Something has stunk about this investigation from the beginning though, and I'll be damned if I watch an innocent man go to the chair.

"This was a high profile arrest, and I'm not sure how much resistance I'll have trying to reopen the case, but if you keep our conversations strictly off the record, perhaps we can help each other?"

Rebecca nods, "I will carry on researching my story and I can keep things off the record - so long as it helps Hilton Adams."

She looks to the other investigators before saying anything else.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Amy. "If there are any more of them out there, they need to be brought to justice as soon as possible."

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:15 am
by Silver Priest
"You be careful too," Marcus tells Poole. "Jackson was a stellar researcher and had been through a lot of scraps, yet he still ended up... like he did. I'm thinking he might have trusted the wrong person and it got him killed. You're the cop and all, but I say, don't go anywhere without some sort of backup."

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:04 am
by jp1885

Cynthia would rather see Adams publicly exonerated straight away, but sees the logic in what Poole is saying and so reluctantly agrees.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:53 pm
by Raiko
Lieutenant Poole recalls Sergeant Quinn to look after the investigators, then he goes into room 410 to take a look at the crime scene. He spends about fifteen minutes inside and then emerges from Jackson's room looking grim.

He nods to the investigators, "You were fortunate not to be killed yourselves, those are brutal looking machetes the killers were carrying."

He looks at Amy, "I'm sorry Miss, there was nothing that you could have done for Jackson, nobody survives an injury like that.

"As Miss Vallier said though, the head wound does mean that this is the work of the same killers as the original murders. We never released exact details of the head injuries."

Poole points towards the stairs, "Now I'm afraid you'll have to make a full statement at the station, once you signed them you'll be free to leave. Please take care, we don't know how many of them are still at large."

With that Poole leads the investigators downstairs and - together with two other uniformed officers - out of the hotel. It is still snowing heavily outside, but a crowd has gathered despite the awful weather. The investigators cannot help scanning the area to try and spot Atauchi.
OOC:   Everyone make a spot hidden roll:  
Marcus and Sánchez,You both spotted [b]Atauchi[/b] earlier, when you were entering the hotel, so you can have a bonus die for this test. [i]This doesn't use up the "special bonus die for later" that I gave you for your earlier "wasted" extreme success.[/i] Also you two are [b]Atauchi's[/b] closest friends, and so you know that if he'd left the area (he doesn't have a high regard for policemen) then he's more than likely waiting at either the coffee shop where you were supposed to meet [b]Jackson[/b], or the speakeasy where you've met up previously.
Spot Hidden Passed,[b]Atauchi[/b] had a high enough stealth skill that you'll need at least a HARD success on that Spot Hidden to stand a chance of spotting him. Spot Hidden (Hard Success): [spoiler]You still can't see any sign of [b]Atauchi[/b], but perhaps he's hard to spot due to the bad weather and the gathering crowd of onlookers.[/spoiler]Spot Hidden (Extreme Success):[spoiler]There is no sign of [b]Atauchi[/b] in the crowd or anywhere overlooking the street. You assume that the scout is just too well hidden or that he left the area when the cops arrived, but then you spot a glint of light reflected from glass lenses in snow piled up on the sidewalk, close to the corner of the [i]Hotel Chelsea[/i]. Is that binoculars half buried in the snow? [b]Atauchi[/b] always carried his trusty binoculars....[/spoiler]

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:25 pm
by jp1885
Spot Hidden 51%,[dice]0[/dice]
Trying to make herself as inconspicuous as possible, Cythia keeps her head low. Therefore she sees nothing but a press of anonymous, gawping New Yorkers through the snow.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Lieutenant," says Amy. "At least we had a few last moments together, and the rest of us survived. Do you know how long it will be before I can get my gun back? If we are still in danger, I'll be defenseless without it."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (69% skill) leaving the hotel: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:33 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus follows out, keeping an eye out for the party's tracker.
Spot Hidden 66%,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] bonus
OOC:   so dumb question, what would this roll be? :oops:  

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 pm
by Raiko
Marcus,[ooc]That is an extreme success. :D Your bonus die 1d10 results of 10 = 0, so you rolled 04[/ooc]

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:50 pm
by Silver Priest
Marcus knows his friend's a reliable sort, so at first he's not too worried. He's just about to head to the station with the others when the glint catches his eye.

He doesn't stop to think, instead rushing over to where the binoculars are, cleaning them up and retrieving them as fast as he can. His eyes scan the ground for any tracks he could follow, as a pit in his stomach grows.
Track 65%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:01 am
by kabukiman
Anderson leaves discretly with the other and try to find Atauchi.

Spot hidden: 75%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 am
by Anatomist
Spot Hidden 89% success,[dice]0[/dice]
Dr. Sánchez looks after Atauchi maybe to discreetly as he can't see his friend.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:49 pm
by Raiko
Lieutenant Poole watches Marcus run and calls after him, "Hey, what's wrong?"
OOC:   Anyone who got a normal SUCCESS the previous Spot Hidden roll can see:  
Marcus is holding a pair of binoculars, retrieved from the heaped up snow on the sidewalk at the corner of the Hotel Chelsea.
Atauchi never went anywhere without his trusty binoculars, and those look very much like Atauchi's pair.
OOC,Marcus can have a bonus die on that track roll, snow's easy to track in. Here you are: Bonus die for track roll: [dice]0[/dice] Oh well...
Marcus,[b]Marcus[/b] cannot see any sign of a struggle, just the abandoned binoculars. They are definitely [b]Atauchi's[/b] binoculars though - undamaged as the snow cushioned their fall.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:11 pm
by jp1885

Still none the wiser (OOC:I failed the roll), Cynthia sticks close to Amy like an over-protective big sister.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:08 am
by Silver Priest
Track 65%,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] So 29?

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:03 am
by Anatomist
failed Track 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
Dr. Sánchez gets close to the girls trying to shield them from the chilling cold wind.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:54 pm
by Raiko
Marcus can see there is a patch of freshly fallen slushy snow on the road right here, as though a car had been idling there for some time until very recently.

There are scuff marks in the snow on the sidewalk leading from beside the car parked in the spot behind the empty space, it looks as though someone - presumably Atauchi - might have been dragged, struggling, into a parked car.

Poole speaks to the uniformed officers, "Help the ladies into the cars, it's freezing."

The lieutenant walks briskly over to Marcus, while the junior cops hold open car doors.

"What have you found?"

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:40 pm
by jp1885

Suspicious, Cynthia watches Poole & Marcus walk off. She pauses at the police car.

“Say, what’s up?” she wonders.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:35 pm
by Silver Priest
"We had one of our friends watching the hotel when Jackson didn't show. Guy was a tracker, best damn one I know." He lifts up the binoculars. "Never goes anywhere without these. And look,see those tracks? Looks like signs of a struggle to me."

He shakes his head.

"Got a bad feeling about this-- and I guess it's confirmed this goes deeper than the ones that got Jackson."

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy also pauses, watching the scene. "Marcus found a pair of binoculars," she says, gulping. "They look like Atauchi's."

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:31 am
by kabukiman
"Just the binoculars? That's very bad, it means there is more people involved. None of us should ever be alone, we must always be in groups of 2 or 3."- says Anderson worried.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:13 am
by Raiko
Poole looks at the binoculars in Marcus' hand then examines the marks in the snow on the sidewalk and the road.

"Yes, looks like your friend might have been blindsided."

He glances around the small crowd gathered in the snow outside the Hotel Chelsea. "I'll get the men to see if anyone witnessed this, but I think it's best to get you all safely away from here. Give me a description of your friend, and then lets get you all to the station."

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy describes Atauchi for Lt. Poole. "He's from Peru," she says. "He was our expedition guide a few years ago. That's where most of us met."

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:04 am
by Silver Priest
Marcus nods absently, confirming Amy's description. Slightly shacking, his hand reaches for a smoke. He joins with the others.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:49 am
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez mutters something in Spanish while taking a last glance of the surroundings and enters the car.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:32 am
by Raiko
The investigators are driven away from the Hotel Chelsea to the nearby 10th Precinct Police Station, where Lieutenant Poole and another murder squad detective spend a couple of hours taking formal statements from everybody.

While talking to the group, Poole receives word that no witnesses have been found to the disappearance of Atauchi.

Once the statements have been signed, the investigators are allowed to leave. Poole once more cautions them to remain vigilant at all times, particularly after Atauchi's apparent abduction.

He speaks quietly to Marcus, promising to pass on whatever information he can, so long as the group return the favour. He hopes to be able to reopen last year's investigation into the killings in Harlem, but expects to meet a great deal of resistance due to the high profile that the case and the subsequent conviction of Hilton Adams received.

Rebecca is the first to leave, over an hour before the rest of the group, and having also spent some time on the phone to her news editor.

By the time the rest of the investigators walk out of the 10th Precinct, it is already 5:30pm and the evening edition of the Times is on sale right outside. News of Jackson's murder is on the front page.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Rebecca did a good job on this," says Amy after she has bought a paper and read the article. "Maybe it's enough to get Hilton Adams a stay, at least."

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:27 am
by Silver Priest
"Poole also told me he'd be willing to exchange information with us, though he wants as good as he gets. As long as we don't find anything like what happened in Peru, I say we take him up on it. Useful ally to have, and I trust him as much as anyone on the force-- take that as you will.

"As for Atauchi; short of a miracle,I think he's dead
." A pained look crosses his face. they had been good friends. "I don't believe these folks are the type who would leave him alive for very long.All we can do now is get the bastards who did this. They may have tortured him however. Atauchi is, was, a strong man, but we don't know what techniques they employed. It's entirely possible they know of all of us and what we've been able to find out so far." He looks at the party with grave seriousness. "Poole's right. We don't go anywhere alone. And we need to start thinking of what leads we want to pursue from here."

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:44 am
by jp1885

Cynthia reads the article and sighs.

"Hardly the exoneration I'd have liked, but at least it sows the seeds of doubt that Adams is guilty. I sure hope Atauchi is okay though. He's a tough guy, but we know what these voodoo jerks are capable of."

She looks through the various pieces of evidence arrayed before them.

"London, Shanghai, Cairo... I say we focus on New York. I still wanna go see Dr. Lemming, the folklorist; but didn't Jackson mention his publisher? We should talk to them too. There's also this imports business card, the lecture, the Ju-Ju house and of course Maybelle's - I think anything to do with that joint should be done in conjunction with Poole."

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Amy. "Oh! We already have the meeting with Bradley Gray, Erica Carlyle's lawyer, scheduled for tomorrow morning. We should still go, and we need to call him and let him know the rest of us are still coming. They said a few additional people could come. Jackson was supposed to be there..." She dabs at her eyes with her handkerchief again.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:28 pm
by Anatomist
ooc ref,https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=432&t=6832&p=224308&hilit=Mordecai#p224298
Dr. Sánchez picks out his notebook from his furry coat.
Anderson and I were quite convinced after our Libary investigation that we should look into who hired Walter Van Buskirk, this guy got killed by the Bloody Tongue, as I explained to Anderson here: We found that in the death of Victorias Post, whos father is Richard Post III offered a reward of $10,000 with some other 'societé' person to find 'the wayward son of an unnamed wealthy client', I speculate in that this son is the boyfriend of Victoria Post?... Anyways 'someone' hires Walter Van Buskirk and then Walter Van Buskirk gets killed by The Bloody Tongue. At least we have a good angle to interrogate this wealthy family, I don't think they appreciate the publicity of it all. They might have valuable information

Dr. Mordecai Lemming name is also turning up a lot, we definitively should talk to him., seems the authority on the Bloody Tounge.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, he should be able to help us," says Amy. "There are clearly more of them out there, so anything we can learn about them is good. Jonah Kensington was Jackson's publishers. He and his wife run Prospero House. I know them, and I'm sure they'll meet with me, and possibly a couple of others as well."

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:37 am
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez paces a bit in the room, his brow eyebrows furrowed in concern, his right hand touching his gun, he suddenly stops and says in a quite commanding way.

"So!, we must decide what to do. My dear friend Atauchi might be dead, we dont know, but we dont have any good leads. I dont know why, but i have the feeling that if we keep digging we will also find him" he lifts his arm to see his arm wrist clock. "6 pm gents and ladies, we might press in a avisit to someone before night and tomorrow we must all go to Carlyle i think"

Dr. Sanchez scribles something in his notebook and leaves his notebook open on the table.
"Let's vote"

https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5 ... 9ae5a0f0cb

The notebook has a tick besides Lemmings

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:49 am
by jp1885

Having already made up her mind, Cynthia votes to see Lemming.
OOC,Great idea to use the vote!

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, we can split up and pursue more than one lead," says Amy, "provided nobody goes anywhere alone. If anyone's going to talk to Jonah Kensington, it should be me. I do agree that talking to Dr. Lemming is important too, and I would like to talk to him, but I can't go everywhere, and someone should tell the Kensingtons before they read it in the papers."

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:13 pm
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Agreed!  
"Lemming sounds good to me. Honestly whatever we decide we should probably all go together. We don't know how many cultists we're up against here, and I'd rather have as many people watching my back a tall times as possible. To that notion, I suggest we book hotel rooms or something near one another. If they find out who we are and decide to retaliate, I don't want a repeat of what happened to Jackson. ."

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:24 am
by Silver Priest
"Speaking of, occurs to me we could use a little more muscle. Most of you are intellectual types." Marcus manages to mostly contain his condescension. "I know a friend who might be able to help us. Course, he's not the most respectable, but he'll kill a man no questions asked, and that's exactly what we might need. Maybe don't tell Poole about that, though." Once he gets everyone's okay he goes to find a payphone.

"Boyd? How the hell are ya you son of a bitch! It's me, Marcus. Listen, have I got work for you. It's dangerous, I'll admit that. You seen the papers? That murder of the author? The group I've with walked in on that-- we killed the three men who killed him, but there are more out there, and we aim to get to the bottom of it. Listen, I can't say too much but we think this is all connected to the Carlyle Expedition of a few years back, and you know how loaded those types are. Get down to (address) as fast as possible, we'll fill you in."

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
Luther Boyd laughs down the phone, 'Marcus, long time no see, you still a shill for Pinkerton's?' This is sounding interesting to Luther but he's not looking to get back into a life of crime just yet. 'You know me Marcus, I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty but I got myself a girl now, I'm not looking to get sent up the river to Sing Sing just yet. I ain't afraid of a little roughhousing but I'm looking for something that's legit, well, you know, not the mob anyway.'

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:27 pm
by Silver Priest
"I'm in the business for myself now. You know how I chafe at following rules."

"Nah, this is all legitimate, thereabouts. Even got a cop asking us to look into things. And believe it or not we're trying to free an innocent man from Sing Sing at the moment. Look, I won't lie to you, there's a lot of risk involved. I've seen things I still don't believe, things I don't really want to see again-- but the reward is great. And you know how the loaded folks are. We do good here, we'll make a killing. How do you think I bought that new place? It wasn't from following unfaithful spouses, my friend
."

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:03 pm
by Mephistophilis

'Hah, I'm not one for following the rules either, but I'm a sucker for the dough. Okay, you twisted my arm. I'll meet you at that address, what is it again?' Luther copies down the meeting place.

'We can catch up when I get there, presume this is the sort of job where I bring my own shiny six barreled luck? Just remember my rule, I'm short, but I ain't small, I'm no rabbit, I don't climb down drains, I don't do tunnels, but you need someone smacking in the kisser, I'm yer man.'

Luther hangs up the phone and heads off to the rendezvous.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:23 pm
by Silver Priest
'See you soon. And yes, I'd bring a gun everywhere, in fact. Even when you're in the shower. Can't be too careful nowadays."

He returns to the others. "He'll be here soon."

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:11 pm
by Mephistophilis

There's an impatient knock at the door. As Marcus opens it, in marches Luther Boyd. He wears a dark gabardine coat over a light grey suit offset by a yellow silk cravat.

He looks around the room, taking in the others with an intense gaze before laughing and raising his hand in greeting, 'Luther Boyd, pleased to meet you I'm sure.' His voice is deep and mellow with the slightest hint of a sneer.

His overcoat stretches down to the ground, its disproportionate length serving to emphasise Luther's short stature, he is 4'10" at most, but clearly broad shouldered and barrel chested. Pulled tight across his torso it bulges in odd places suggesting something concealed within the pockets. He reaches in and takes out a revolver, he cracks open the chamber and starts loading rounds.

'So, you gonna fill me in? What's this rogue got us into?'

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:31 pm
by Anatomist
Dr. Sánchez stand up from a comfortable chair that was in the room 'Buenas tarde señor, Nemesio Sánchez is my name, Archeologist, we sure need some muscle, im happy you could join us señor. As far as what we are up to, well..., quite some bit i would say. We are investigating, learning about horrible secrets and watching our back for once.' he then talks to the others. 'What about we leave straight away for Lemmings?. Mr Boyd, im sure you're curious about the whole tale, but there's much to be told and discussed, we can do so on the way'

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:45 pm
by jp1885

"Hey," Cynthia greets the newcomer with a curt nod.

"Yeah, let's head off to Lemming's"

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:45 pm
by Raiko
OOC:   I'm just reading along at the moment.
Will swap locations when everybody has decided to move.
Also it's 6pm at the moment, so 30 minutes after you left the police station, and you're inside. That's fine, but could someone decide where you went to?  

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi, I'm Amy Lawrence," says Amy. She's not used to men being shorter than she is, though he certainly looks stronger. She is pretty, with blonde hair, and her sparkling eyes show obvious sorrow. "Let's go see Dr. Lemming, then." She puts on her winter coat over her elegant dress.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:27 am
by jp1885
OOC:   I guess we’d meet up somewhere relatively safe and public: say the cafe opposite the hotel or maybe the museum?  

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:53 pm
by Anatomist
OOC:   I find the museum a naturalnplace as it was there we were before  

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Just point the way' says Boyd, stowing the revolver in his coat, having loaded it under the table.
OOC,Heh,didn't realise we were in public, Boyd is rough but not stupid enough to load a revolver in public

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:01 pm
by Anatomist
ooc,[ooc]we are not in public, GM stated it was ok we where indoor :)[/ooc]
Mephistophilis wrote:'Just point the way' says Boyd, stowing the revolver in his coat, having loaded it under the table.
OOC,Heh,didn't realise we were in public, Boyd is rough but not stupid enough to load a revolver in public

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 pm
by Raiko
OOC,Yes ,this is from the [url=https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=445&t=6657]Epilogue to the Prologue[/url] post/thread: [quote="Raiko"][b]Marcus [/b]and [b]Atuachi[/b], together with [b]Anderson [/b]find employment with [b]Dr. Sánchez[/b], initially at a dig in Mexico, but by mid-1924 they are working at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. [b]Sánchez [/b]then offers [b]Amy [/b]a curators position on his team to support her studies, and both [b]Amy [/b]and [b]Cynthia [/b]can often be found together with their old friends in the huge museum's [i]Hall of Mexico and Central America[/i].[/quote] They've basically got that section of the museum as a private area after-hours, and Dr. Sánchez also has his own office, which is where I'd assume Boyd was loading his gun. :)

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:32 am
by Raiko
OOC:   Please continue posting in the new IC thread: Doctor Lemming