Chapter 1: Arriving in Leland

"Hell in Texas" finds our team of Global News Service investigative reporters recovering from the catastrophic results of their previous adventure in their homebase of Cleveland. Despite the addition of a few new members to their "Scoopy Gang," there doesn't seem to be many stories developing. Things have literally died down in Cleveland.

The group gets wind of a possible story out of east Texas. A lurid suicide, a provocative Halloween haunted house, and hints of police corruption? Sounds like an easy bonus for the taking.

Moderator: Spookymizu

Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Re: Chapter 1: Arriving in Leland

Post by Spookymizu »

Squidlyn_King wrote:
Spookymizu wrote:[/ooc]
Squidlyn_King wrote:Jacob says " I'll go with you guys but I won't drink, I get paid to drive you guys and how would I do that drunk. I'll bring my laptop and do some research while I wait for you guys in the car."
OOC:   library use:20 role:06  
OOC:   The Leland Free Evangelical Church.  

Here is what you find out about the Leland Free Evangelical Church (LFEC) while you wait in the van:
  • The LFEC is the predominant church in the small city of Leland
  • It's pastor for the last 27 years has been Ted Weaver.
  • You find some chatter online about some hostile feelings or jealousy about a recent church opening its doors for worship in nearby Lefkin. It's called the New Life Church, one of an increasing number of "megachurches" that has been springing up all over Texas. It has an auditorium that can hold 3,000+ people, has a professional choir and musical acts, and frequently advertises about charismatic guest speakers.
  • In May, the LFEC bought "The Angerstein House" for only $10,000 at an auction.
  • Weaver conducted a high profile blessing of the house in July, promising that "light of Jesus will cleanse the house."
  • He announced that the house would be Leland's first Halloween haunted house.
  • The "Hell House" is supposed to be open for admission on October 24-31. Admission will be $15

Edited for embarrassing grammatical errors.
Feltch
Layman
Layman

Post by Feltch »

OOC:   Text to Jacob from an unknown number  
We're dealing with the Passover Angel again....
Watakushi
Layman
Layman

Post by Watakushi »

Noble

Noble "Top-Guns"https://youtu.be/CFT0jGibz80?t=162 Hannah at the bar Sing-30: 1d100 10 That's a hard success.

'You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips
And there's no tenderness like before in your fingertips
You're trying hard not to show it
But baby, baby I know it...'

["Back me up Stu"]

'You lost that lovin' feelin'
Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
You lost that lovin' feelin'
Now it's gone, gone, gone, woh'

OOC:   Venting: I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the levels of game-play. It seems more and more that the game is running on more than one platform/medium/whatever. If I'm wrong, please set me straight. We've got this format with Spoiler Buttons (which don't seem to amount to crap), Out-of-Character bubbles, font colors, etc. Then there is (it feels to me) that there's some kind of back-door, under-the-table communication stream that's undermining my confidence in continuing. Like I said, set me straight if I'm wrong, and I'll shut up about it. Otherwise...I don't know...  
GM eyes only,If you're not the GM, and you're sneaking a peak at Spoilers, at least have the decency to role-play as if you hadn't. When we get back to the hotel, I spend and hour scanning the Don't Panic feeds, looking for what the rest of the crew has been up to.
Watakushi wa, watakushi desu.
Esmdog66
Layman
Layman

Post by Esmdog66 »

Stu backs up Noble in that song I recall from Top Gun. While singing, Stu scabs the audience looking for any closer cropped haircuts and mustaches, the tell tale signs of off duty police.

I can’t get on d20 but my spot hidden is a respectable 25.
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

Hannah

Hannah seems to work hard to not smile, but you can see a little crack of one when Stu comes in on background vocals.

"I really prefer the Hall and Oates version, but that will do." A little bit more of a smile.
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

Esmdog66 wrote:Stu backs up Noble in that song I recall from Top Gun. While singing, Stu scabs the audience looking for any closer cropped haircuts and mustaches, the tell tale signs of off duty police.

I can’t get on d20 but my spot hidden is a respectable 25.

You notice that there are a lot of men with close cropped hair and thick mustaches. Your "cop radar" isn't tingling.

Of course, y'all are getting a bunch of looks due to the song. A few people even clap when the two of you get done singing.
OOC:   Never thought I would see a SING roll used significantly ...nice, Jeff.  
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

Watakushi wrote:
OOC:   Venting: I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the levels of game-play. It seems more and more that the game is running on more than one platform/medium/whatever. If I'm wrong, please set me straight. We've got this format with Spoiler Buttons (which don't seem to amount to crap), Out-of-Character bubbles, font colors, etc. Then there is (it feels to me) that there's some kind of back-door, under-the-table communication stream that's undermining my confidence in continuing. Like I said, set me straight if I'm wrong, and I'll shut up about it. Otherwise...I don't know...  
GM eyes only,If you're not the GM, and you're sneaking a peak at Spoilers, at least have the decency to role-play as if you hadn't. When we get back to the hotel, I spend and hour scanning the Don't Panic feeds, looking for what the rest of the crew has been up to.
OOC:   First, regarding the different levels of gameplay. That was my fault. I've encouraged a couple of different players to message me privately, kind of like whispering on Roll20. I was thinking it was kind of like how we used to take players in a separate room to discuss things. I now see that I haven't been treating everybody on a equal footing. From now on, I'll set up individual threads for investigators/players that have gone solo for one reason or another.

Also, keeping everything up front allows our viewers at home to have some idea what is going on. The big thing, folks, is if you are a player, please don't read spoilers that aren't addressed to you, and don't read threads that are for a specific player that isn't you.  
For Noble only,I believe that everybody but Feltch is at Watson's Wild Ride with you. When you check Feltch's phone, it is pointed to a MeTV marathon of Golden Girls episodes.
Squidlyn_King
Layman
Layman

Post by Squidlyn_King »

Jacob will share what he learned about the church but he won't share the text he got.
Watakushi
Layman
Layman

Post by Watakushi »

Noble
OOC:   When the team awakens the next morning, what is the date?  
Feltch
Layman
Layman

Post by Feltch »

OOC:   I leave for Machu Picchu today. No internet for 2 days.....I will try to respond when I get off of the mountain  
For everyone,Drink More Ovaltine
Watakushi
Layman
Layman

Post by Watakushi »

OOC:   So what you’re saying (if I’m understanding your coded message correctly) is that we’re facing Ralphie and the Radio Orphan Annie Secret Society cult?

Everyone grab your Red Rider BB guns and prepare to meet the enemy.  
907E3C4B-5A09-414F-8213-7574A17B900E.gif
907E3C4B-5A09-414F-8213-7574A17B900E.gif (9.78 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
OOC:   ...and Todd, whatever you do, stay above ground. We don’t need you running into a den of cannabalistic humanoid underground dwellers. Just say “no” to CHUD.  
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

OOC:   I will out of internet range as well over this weekend. I'm driving out to help Dave empty his father's house in Challenge. If I don't melt, you'll hear from me again early next week. If I get a chance, I might be able to scribble something out to y'all sometime today, but it's unlikely.  
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

The rest of the evening at the bar is tame, and everybody gets a little bored. Y'all head back to the hotel for some rest.

Stu spends a couple of hours doing some research (results coming soonly).
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

While researching, Stu finds out information about the Leland Free Evangelical Church that is similar to what Jacob already found.

In addition, he also finds an East Texas Reddit thread about Kelly Landrum.
OOC:   You will find it at the following link: https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/vi ... 30#p210330
It is also posted to the Roll20 site (Where Merrold is STILL logged on - he's putting in some serious hours over there). :lol:  
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

Noble has done some researching on the Angerstein House. This is what he finds from looking at online reports:
  1. Augustus Angerstein discovered the Corsicana oil field in 1894
  2. He retired ten years later for health reasons
  3. He built a house in Leland in 1905, settled there, but then committed suicide in 1912
  4. His son, Beauregard, lived in it for a year, then sold it and moved to Louisiana
  5. The Page family moved in afterwards, staying until 1925 following the unexplained deaths of two of their teenaged children
  6. The Buckner family moved in during 1926. Three generations lived there until 1989 when Samual Buckner killed his wife and infant daughter with a shotgun, before turning it on himself
  7. The Angerstein House has remained empty since. Realtors have struggled to sell it.
  8. The house was bought in May by Ted Weaver, pastor of the Leland Free Evangelical Church, at auction.
  9. A blessing was put upon the house by Weaver in July
  10. A Hell House has been announced to occur at the house from October 24-31

Return to “Hell in Texas”