Chapter 1: Arriving in Leland

"Hell in Texas" finds our team of Global News Service investigative reporters recovering from the catastrophic results of their previous adventure in their homebase of Cleveland. Despite the addition of a few new members to their "Scoopy Gang," there doesn't seem to be many stories developing. Things have literally died down in Cleveland.

The group gets wind of a possible story out of east Texas. A lurid suicide, a provocative Halloween haunted house, and hints of police corruption? Sounds like an easy bonus for the taking.

Moderator: Spookymizu

Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Chapter 1: Arriving in Leland

Post by Spookymizu »

The plane touches down in Lufkin, at the nearby Angelina County Airport, at around 7 pm.

Oddly, as the passengers disembark, you notice a number of different law enforcement officers nearby. There are a couple each of sheriff deputies, Texas Rangers, and Lufkin police. They are very intently and wordlessly watching the passengers disembark, and you can feel the gaze of one staring right through you. They don't seem to give much notice to the Priest formally known as Feltch.

As promised, there is an unmarked van awaiting your arrival. It has everything you would have had in your van back home.

You do have a hotel room reservation in your names over in Leland. It would probably take you about 20-30 minutes to drive there.
OOC:   Let me know if there is something you wish to do while in the airport. Otherwise, let me know what the plan is. 8-)  
Feltch
Layman
Layman

Re: Chapter 1: Arriving in Leland

Post by Feltch »

The priest, formerly known as Feltch, stays clear of the others heading to the van and takes a cab to the hotel.
OOC:   This priest gig might open a few doors for an inside story....and we know it's ALL about getting the story  
Watakushi
Layman
Layman

Post by Watakushi »

Group Text from Noble:
"Are the rest of you getting the stink-eye from the cops? I'll catch a taxi and meet you all at the hotel...and Filch, when's your plane get in? BTW: were any of yiou able to find out anything on Pastor Ted Weaver, Kelly Landrom, or The Leland Free Evangelical Church? I came up with nothin'"
OOC:   Noble hasn't noticed the incognito Felch.  
Watakushi wa, watakushi desu.
Squidlyn_King
Layman
Layman

Post by Squidlyn_King »

Once we get to the hotel Jacob will take the van and head out to a local gun store and buy some ammunition for his .45 and Deagle.
Feltch
Layman
Layman

Post by Feltch »

When you arrive at the hotel, there is a note from Felch waiting for Jacob (the most stable? remaining member from our previous adventures). He is expected to share it with the group so I will share it below:

To my prestigious(?) colleagues,
I have decided to go into deep cover as a priest interested in expanding the use of "Hell Houses". This first hand experience will be a perfect counterpart to your investigations from outside. I intend to immerse myself in the daily details, intentions, and methods of those who would use extreme fear to serve their faith. I will NOT, under any circumstances, come out of character...as Hannah can attest. I will not interact with the GNS party except when it fits into my role. My behaviors may seem more abnormal than usual.....yeah, insert jokes here..... Tell Noble that my apped up phone is back in Cleveland providing entertainment....

I will be completely out of communication for unknown periods of time, and I will report when I can either via Vince and/or Gertrude; who will share what they feel is pertinent. Occasionally you may receive time sensitive information directly from me; likely in the form of some cryptic note so as not to spoil my persona. Should we meet, it is extremely important that you NOT treat me as a colleague. This could not only spoil our story, but could be dangerous.

This story, if we carry it out properly, will be a story for the ages. It will be epic! It will be award-winning! Hah! IT WILL BE BIBLICAL!
OOC:   Yes, I did just let out a maniacal laugh.  
Sincerely,
Gordon Felcher
OOC:   Okay! I have set my path. Thomas, give me a list of rolls I need to make and I will attempt them on Roll20 if necessary. As I said in my letter, I will communicate when I can, but due to the depth and nature of my cover, I may need to only communicate with the Keeper. If I do not communicate or make the necessary rolls in a timely manner, Thomas has my permission to play Felch as he sees fit when needed. Based upon past scenarios, I have a feeling that this story will be Felch's swan song; he will likely end up dissapeared, dead, insane, drawn completely into the cult, or worse. However, stranger things have happened, and Felch may just survive.  
Soiler Alert,Thomas, don't forget the little surprise I set up. It should provide some good content for the story.
Watakushi
Layman
Layman

Post by Watakushi »

Noble:

Once everyone is done perusing the letter from Felch, Noble takes a picture of it and says, "I didn't know GNS stood for Going-rogue News Service. Enough rambling from the 'talking head' ...let's get to work. I see a few options:
one, dig up some dirt on Pastor Ted Weaver, Kelly Landrom, and The Leland Free Evangelical Church...City Hall? Local Library? County Courthouse? whatever.
two, get our asses over to the Hell House to see what's up and what can be dug up.
What do ya say? Jacob, the van fully-loaded?

GM eyes only,Noble folds up and pockets Felch's letter. [url=http://orokos.com/roll/638740]Stealth (50)[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]28[/b] That's a Regular Success
Squidlyn_King
Layman
Layman

Post by Squidlyn_King »

Jacob says to Noble " Yeah I'll drive you guys, and the van should be filled up, but don't disrespect Felch's way of getting the story. He did good work for our last story."
Feltch
Layman
Layman

Post by Feltch »

OOC:   I know...I'm sorry for going somewhat rogue....It seemed to fit for the situation in real life and gametime....I must say; Feltch is not fond of being spied upon (ahem, phone app)....Maybe I should have had a party member punch Feltch harder before going incognito to visit the crazy priest?....ouch! Too soon? That was probably uncalled for.... I'm sure Feltch will get what he deserves, and I promise he will feed you info when possible. Nothing personal; it's all about the story baby!!!  
Watakushi
Layman
Layman

Post by Watakushi »

Squidlyn_King wrote:Jacob says to Noble " Yeah I'll drive you guys, and the van should be filled up, but don't disrespect Felch's way of getting the story. He did good work for our last story."
Noble: replies to Jacob, "Don't get me wrong, man. Felch's got mad-skills--obviously--when it comes to disguise...I didn't even guess that he was the wonky priest on the plane...Noble sincerely smiles and gives "two thumbs way up"..."...It's just that he bailed on us and dumped the one way he'd be able to stay in 'incognito communication' with us; his cell phone. Either way...let him do him, and let us do us. Let's get movin', man.
Alright?
We cool?

So what's it gonna be? Church or research?

Todds eyes only,[ooc]No problem, señor. I totally get the in-game dynamics--especially with the sporadic contact you'll have from the deep South. Also, don't worry about Noble's in-game, in-character jibes at Felch... ...and "spied upon?" I'd turn that right around and suggest that some spying has already been happening...maybe from your end...hmmmm? Maybeeeee? :P[/ooc]
Squidlyn_King
Layman
Layman

Post by Squidlyn_King »

Jacob says to the group " I'll drive anyone to the church who wants to go."
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

Watakushi wrote:Noble:
GM eyes only,Noble folds up and pockets Felch's letter. [url=http://orokos.com/roll/638740]Stealth (50)[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]28[/b] That's a Regular Success
Noble,acquisition noted
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

OOC:   I'm going to start playing the characters that are being ignored. Noble keeps asking for help from the other characters, but is getting little help. I'm not saying that I'll purposely put those characters in harm's way, but y'know - this is CoC! :twisted:  
Hannah

"Well, I think we should get some rest since it's so late, and the flight really wore me out." Hannah winks at Noble.

"Mr. Preacher-guy kept talking to me about the sins of fornication the whole time! And then he would just stare at me. He just kept on with the Jesus stuff the whole time!

"I think we should start out in the morning doing some research, and then head out to a location after that."
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

Stuart

In his slow drawl, Stuart says, "I must say, I do admire the stones that Feltch is showing here. He is going straight into that den of vipers. I was raised around this sort religious treachery, and I find it completely vile. I can't see how he'll be able to stomach their rhetoric for very long. I'd have to bow out of that sort of assignment. It cuts a little too close to home.

"I'd like to suggest we find a local watering hole, get ourselves socially lubricated in proper fashion, and then I am willing to do some late night research on my laptop."
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

Hannah

Hannah gets a pained look on her face. "Go to a bar, eh?"

She determinedly digs through her purse and pulls out a purple-colored coin. She flips it into the closest trash can.
"To thine own self, I will be true. Let's get hammered, folks!"
Squidlyn_King
Layman
Layman

Post by Squidlyn_King »

Jacob says " I'll go with you guys but I won't drink, I get paid to drive you guys and how would I do that drunk. I'll bring my laptop and do some research while I wait for you guys in the car."
OOC:   library use:20 role:06  
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

[/ooc]
Squidlyn_King wrote:Jacob says " I'll go with you guys but I won't drink, I get paid to drive you guys and how would I do that drunk. I'll bring my laptop and do some research while I wait for you guys in the car."
OOC:   Ya wanna tell me what you're researching there, sport? ;)  
Watakushi
Layman
Layman

Post by Watakushi »

Noble fishes the coin from the trash and hands it back to Hannah.

”I’ll go but will want to call it quits early. Wanna get an early start.”
Hannah only,[color=#0000FF]It’s really none of my business but maybe you want to call someone?”[/color]
Last edited by Watakushi on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squidlyn_King
Layman
Layman

Post by Squidlyn_King »

Spookymizu wrote:[/ooc]
Squidlyn_King wrote:Jacob says " I'll go with you guys but I won't drink, I get paid to drive you guys and how would I do that drunk. I'll bring my laptop and do some research while I wait for you guys in the car."
OOC:   Ya wanna tell me what you're researching there, sport? ;)  
OOC:   The Leland Free Evangelical Church.  
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

Hannah

Watakushi wrote:Noble fishes the coin from the trash and hands it back to Hannah.

”I’ll go but will want to call it quits early. Wanna get an early start.”
Hannah only,[color=#0000FF]It’s really none of my business but maybe you want to call someone?”[/color]

Hannah puts her head down, puts the token back in her purse. "Let's just go," she mutters.
Spookymizu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Spookymizu »

Jacob drives the team over to Watson's Wild Ride, a notable bar in Leland, according to Yelp reviews. Notable for what, you're not sure. It's as dark as the inside of a cow in this establishment, and that cow has been smoked. The level of cigarette smoke in the air is unlike any other place you've been, and everything seems to be covered in a layer of nicotine grime. The lack of conversation when you walk in adds to the gloomy feeling.

The conversations start to pick up. There is a balding bartender, with some barflies seated in different parts of the bar. Additionally, there are groups of mostly older customers at various tables. There is also one table with a younger, more boisterous group at it.

Return to “Hell in Texas”