Chapter 7: Owen’s Research

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter 7: Owen’s Research

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice screams in terror as four of the body parts drag themselves towards her. Coming to her senses quickly, she levels her shotgun at them, hoping to catch them all in the spread.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 62) for seeing the parts: [dice]0[/dice] Number of parts coming towards me: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It would be easiest if you all handle your combat individually, and I'll do the policemen. This means rolling for the parts which are attacking you. I trust you all! Here are the stats: STR 12, CON 06, SIZ 02, HP 04, DEX 16, MOV 07. Damage bonus +1d6 Attack: claw/bite/choke/bludgeon 50%, damage 1d3. If they launch a successful attack, they will hang on until forced off. You'll need a successful STR vs STR roll on the resistance table. Until they are removed, they inflict 1 damage each turn. Good luck! Is this arrangement acceptable? Or would you prefer me to roll for the parts? I'm away from home right now so this would be a little more convenient and quick.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Combat,I'm fine with rolling both parts. Let me know if I do anything incorrectly as this is my first time running a combat online. Body Part Dex 16 goes first (2 attacks at 50) [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] 1 hit Damage [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] Total damage 4 Current Hit points 8 My attack 50 [dice]4[/dice] Hit (Damage 1d6+1) [dice]5[/dice]
An arm and a torso with a mutilated head barely attached move to attack Harrison. He steps to the side and swings his hatchet down onto the skull, stopping the body from moving any closer. However, the arm still manages to grab onto his leg, digging its jagged fingernails through his pants leg and into his flesh. Harrison shouts in pain.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Great description Starspawn338! I enjoyed reading that. Can Harrison remove the offending arm?
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Would the opposed Str check happen the same round as the attack? I assumed that we both made attacks in the first round and any Str v. Str to dislodge the limb would happen in the next round.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

A severed leg hops its way towards Alice, but she blasts it to bits with the first barrel from her shotgun. Before she can fire again, a hand crawls onto her leg, dragging her to the ground, and then a limbless torso crushes her.
OOC,I'm assuming we're at point blank range (11 feet for me) if the parts are close enough to attack us this round. If not, please let me know. If we're within 10 yards, I can only hit one of them per barrel for 4D6 damage (guaranteed kill if I hit), unless you rule that they're close enough together that I can get multiple hits. If we're over 10 yards away, my shotgun can hit 1D3 targets for 2D6 damage each. Hitting multiple targets is probably the only chance I have. I think we may all be toast here. We just rolled too many of them, and they cause too much damage with that initial hit. I at least get to fire my first barrel before they attack, and my second after they do in the same round if I'm not down yet. Shotgun roll (43 x 2 = 86% skill, point blank), shooting at a part, first barrel: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to first part: [dice]1[/dice] Second part's attack (50% chance): [dice]2[/dice] Third part's attack (50% chance): [dice]3[/dice] Damage to me: [dice]5[/dice]+[dice]6[/dice] Fourth part's attack (50% chance): [dice]4[/dice] Damage to me: [dice]7[/dice]+[dice]8[/dice] The first hit did 4 damage to me, and the second did 7, dropping me to 2 points, which is automatic unconsciousness. I'll also take 2 automatic damage next round and be at 0 hit points and dying, and dead the round after.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry is mobbed by angry limbs and wrestled violently to the ground. He turns to Alice and splutters something earnest that no one can make out.
Spoiler:
Body part 1 attack 50 [dice]0[/dice]
Body part 2 attack 50 [dice]1[/dice]
Body part 3 attack 50 [dice]2[/dice]
Body part 4 attack 50 [dice]3[/dice]

Damage [dice]4[/dice][dice]5[/dice][dice]6[/dice][dice]7[/dice]

Not sure what being on minus one hit points means but it can't be good ..
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC: some quick rule lawyering before we get a TPK!! Guys & gals, if these are considered hand-to-hand (pun intended, the rulebook calls them "Personal attacks"), then we get the option to Dodge or Parry! One Parry per combat round, at half % of the weapon skill. You can Parry and Dodge on the same round. If you Dodge, you cannot attack, but I don't see any limitations on how many times can you Dodge on one round.
6th ed. rulebook, p. 58, 59, 60

HoneyDog, are these viable options?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,If I could offer an opinion, the worst part about them is their +1d6 on the initial attack. I don't have my 6th Ed book with me at work but I have a 7th Ed PDF available and in 7th Ed, with a 2 size and a 12 Str, their modifier in hand to hand combat would be -1. Even if you just removed the +1d6, it would give us a fighting chance.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Goodness! Things have certainly got serious. Yes, maximize your chances. Let's give Alice a chance to use her shotgun spread, and of course you can roll to dodge or parry. You will have to pull them off in the next round but please try and dodge their attack now before you take damage. The strength of their initial attack is based on the savagery engendered by the re-animating serum. I don't want you all to die, so if you feel it would be fairer we could remove the +1 on their attack. Sorry I don't have my rules with me, so please feel free to give help and advice. I won't be back home until Monday so I have to rely on you guys. I will roll for the police later.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Starspawn is right. The problem seems to be a simple mistake in the scenario that turns what should be a manageable encounter into a probable TPK. The parts should not have a +1D6 damage bonus. Maybe the scenario author meant to write -1D6, which would be more fitting but still not correct. The parts have a STR of 12 and a SIZ of 2, for a total of 14. They would need 12 or less to get a -1D6 damage bonus, but a total of 14 is a -1D4 damage bonus in 6th edition. If that's the case, I don't think any other alterations need to be made. The one part that hit [b]Harrison[/b] should actually deal either 0 or 1 damage, depending on whether the 1D4 he would have to roll is more than 1 or not. Or you could just have the DB be -1D6, in which case he takes 0 damage as his 1D6 roll is subtracted rather than added. It may be better for him in that case to hit the part that latched onto him, so that it no longer deals automatic damage, but it would be up to him. The two parts that hit me would both do 0 damage no matter what, as both of my 1D3 rolls are 1s. Likewise, the parts that hit [b]Henry[/b] would deal far less damage: 0 or 1 for the first one, and 0, 1, or 2 for the second (or 0 for both if the DB is -1D6). Unfortunately, under the rules as written I cannot get my shotgun to spread among multiple targets. If they were over 10 yards away, I'd be able to do 2D6 damage to each of 1D3 targets if I hit. However, my roll would have missed outside of point blank range, which would leave me in an even worse situation. I also do not have the luxury of trying to Dodge, as I already attacked. Neither can I really parry. Unless you're skilled in Martial Arts, you have to declare at the start of the round which opponent you intend to parry. I didn't do that, but if I had, I probably would have parried the second part, which missed anyway, as I was shooting at the first and expected to probably destroy it (which I did). I couldn't parry with the shotgun anyway, as I can't parry and fire it in the same round, nor can I parry with Fist/Punch, as I'm holding it in both hands. I suppose I could parry with my leg, but even if I could parry one of the two that hit me, I'd still only have a 25% chance to block it. If I am still conscious, that means I get to fire my second shotgun barrel in the first round, after I'm attacked. That gives me a chance to take out one of the parts that grabbed me. Then in round two the remaining parts will get to go before me, as my shotgun will then be empty.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Don't touch me! Get away from me!" Isadora screams as three severed parts crawl towards her, like flesh colored nightmare spiders. She tries to avoid them at all cost, while trying to back off towards the stairs.

Combat,Attack #1 [dice]0[/dice] Attack #2 [dice]1[/dice] Attack #3 [dice]2[/dice] Dodge 33% #1 [dice]3[/dice] Dodge 33% #2 [dice]4[/dice] Dodge 33% #3 [dice]5[/dice] One hit, damage [dice]6[/dice] [dice]7[/dice]
Edit: damage reduction
[dice]9[/dice]

She successfully avoids two attacks, but the third arm grabs her throat...
Resistance table,7 vs 12 25% [dice]8[/dice]
Isadora is unable to peel it off!

But hopefully she reaches the stairs and starts to climb them. She cannot stay in this accursed basement!
Last edited by evil_scientist on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Let's make the parts damage bonus -1d4 then, to make the game more survivable. Is that okay with you all? Sorry, I didn't realise the problem, I'm still knew to this.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Correction on damage -1d4 [dice]0[/dice] Original damage as 2 - 1 so 1 point Resistance (7 vs 12) 25 [dice]1[/dice] Attack with hatchet 50 [dice]2[/dice] Damage from Limb attached to him 1 Current hit points 10
Harrison attempts to pull the detached arm off but he is unable to pry the wretched thing's fingers from his leg. He winces in pain as it continues to dig into him. Swinging his hatchet at it, he fears hitting himself and misses wide.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice presses the second barrel of the shotgun against the torso and pulls the trigger, blasting it into meaty chunks and showering herself with blood and viscera. Try as she might, though, she cannot dislodge the hand that has gripped her leg.
OOC,Yes, that sounds good to me. It wasn't your fault. It sounds like there was a minor typo in the scenario text that was very hard to notice and made a huge difference. Since I got 1s on both of my 1D3s, I won't bother to roll the -1D4s, as they're guaranteed to cause no damage. I'm not sure at what point I roll STR vs. STR on the Resistance Table, but I'll do it now. If it applies in the second round, then it can be used then. We can still take regular actions in that round, right? Shotgun roll (43 x 2 = 86% skill, point blank), shooting at the torso, second barrel: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to torso from 12-gauge shotgun shell: [dice]2[/dice] Resistance Table roll (STR 8 vs. STR 12: 30% chance) to get the hand off of me: [dice]1[/dice] I guess I'll be taking 1 damage from the part that's still on me. Does that take effect in round two?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Okay, let's adjust your earlier posts with the updated damage bonus. Hopefully your survival will increase. All resistance rolls and any resulting damage will take affect from round 2.
Harden rolls,SAN 60 -1 from witnessing lab: 59 From seeing Parts: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652002]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]50[/b] -1 = 58 1d4 parts: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652003]Parts[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]4[/b] Part attack 1: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652005]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]76[/b] Part attack 2: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652006]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b] Part attack 3: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652008]Attack 3[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]92[/b]
Thanks to his years of experience, the effects of witnessing this awful scene have a minimal affect on Harden, although he is still badly shaken. He is beset by 4 of the vile crawling body parts. Thankfully, none are able to gain any purchase on him as he moves out the way. One, an errant hand, in its homicidal eagerness to attack, accidentally seizes another limb, preventing its assault.

Steeling himself, he takes aim with his .45 and fires.
Harden,.45 Revolver 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652010]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]70[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652011]Revolver[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]64[/b] Damage: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652013]Damage[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]8[/b]+2 = 10
The first shot misses, but his second finds its mark, and a hand is blown into chunks of flesh, which twitch uncontrollably.
Fogarty rolls,SAN 60: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652014]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]41[/b] -1 59 SAN on seeing the Parts: 59 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652015]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]85[/b] SAN loss 1d6+1: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652017]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]6[/b] 7 Idea 55: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652018]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]26[/b] Temporary Insanity 1d10+4: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652019]Temp SAN loss duration[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]4[/b] 8 [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652020]Type of insanity[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]10[/b]: Stupor Parts attack: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652021]Parts[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]4[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652106]Attack 1[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]22[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652107]Attack 2[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]12[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652108]Attack 3[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]7[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/652109]Attack 4[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]76[/b]
Patrolman Fogarty is less experienced, but the sight of the room doesn’t affect him too badly. However the sight of 4 body parts crawling towards him is too much for the young cop. He sinks to his knees, his eyes opaque, and then collapses to the ground, hugging himself. The body parts crawl over him, and begin to squeeze…
OOC,I think poor Fogarty is probably done for. When all of the previous attacks have been updated, let's begin round 2. Good luck - we don't seem to have had much so far!
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,My post before this included my Round 2 actions. I jumped the gun a bit but now I'll wait for everyone to catch up.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,No problem. It's just evil_scientist and innsmouth to adjust and then we'll keep moving.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
New damage bonus

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]

So Henry takes no damage

Resistance rolls at 40 to remove
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]

Henry Knife 25 [dice]4[/dice]
Henry is attacked by two limbs - he shakes off one and tries in vain to stab the other one with his pocket knife
Spoiler:
Do I lose A HP now?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,I added the new damage bonus (that is, minus) to m original post. Isadora takes no dsmage fromthat attack, but she has a limb grabbing her.
Isadora Carmichael
Rolls galore,R[b]esistance table roll 25%[/b] [dice]0[/dice] [b]Attack #1[/b] [dice]1[/dice] [b]Attack #2[/b] [dice]2[/dice] [b]Dodge 33% against #1[/b] [dice]3[/dice] [b]Damage[/b] [dice]4[/dice] Minus [dice]5[/dice]
Isadora runs up the stairs, followed by two limbs... One misses, the second hits, but doesn't cause any significant pain.

However, despite all her efforts, Isadora cannot get rid of the hand choking her!!

She wants to reach one of the cars, and lock herself inside...

Return to “A Little Knowledge”