Chapter 7: Owen’s Research

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 7: Owen’s Research

Post by HoneyDog »

Thursday February 28th, 1929

Dr. Bricknell’s office, Miskatonic campus, 9.30am

It is a cold and overcast morning in Arkham as Bricknell listens to the investigators’ tale with a mixture of horror and credulity, but is convinced when he reads Owen’s notes.

”So Owen murdered Frank Charlton he says heavily. ” We need to inform the police straight away”.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 7: Owen’s Research

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is not keen about involving the police.

"Yes, of course, the police must be alerted. But, keep in mind, Dr. Bricknell, that the police will try to look for a scapegoat, and might blame the University. So caution is necessary."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

”Some scandal may be unavoidable, I fear” Bricknell admits. ”But I would prefer not to spread the knowledge of the nature of Owen’s experiments.”

He pauses.

”However, he must be apprehended before he hurts anyone else. So we have no choice but to inform the police.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, you're right," said Alice. "Claude Owen is extremely dangerous. Fortunately, we know where he has likely gone. That farmhouse is where Herbert West had a clandestine lab, and we believe that Owen has gone there to continue his hideous experiments."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Bricknell nods.

“Then we must tell the police immediately and let them arrest Owen. You’ve all done wonderfully, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your services.”

He reaches for the phone on his desk.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Can we go there, too? As consultants, or representatives of the University?"

Isadora finds that despite everything, she is curious to find out more about the farmhouse.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

HoneyDog wrote:Bricknell nods.

“Then we must tell the police immediately and let them arrest Owen. You’ve all done wonderfully, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your services.”

He reaches for the phone on his desk.
"Perhaps you can inform the police about Owen and allow us to go to the farmhouse to verify that he is there before the police arrive. If he's not there, we can remove any University equipment and/or chemicals before calling it in to the police." Harrison suggests.
OOC,Persuade 35 [dice]0[/dice] I'm going to try. I don't like the idea of magic getting out there and I don't want the police to get more notes that someone[i] cough[/i] [b]Asenath[/b] [i]cough[/i] could get a hold of. Oops. Guess I posted too late.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I edited the posts to account for yours Starspawn. I don't think Bricknell would realistically allow you all to visit the farmhouse without the police, it's too dangerous. Although he cares about the reputation of the university, he's not going to let you risk your lives needlessly. And you shouldn't all be too eager to disdain the help of the police - you may need it...
Bricknell pauses with his hand on the receiver.

“I appreciate that you all want to preserve the University's reputation. But what's done is done. And I won't have you all risk life and limb for this.”

He asks his secretary to put in a call to Detective Luther Harden at the police station.

While the companions enjoy a cup of tea, Harden duly arrives after about 20 minutes. He’s a tough-looking, unsmiling man in his mid-40’s, and as he enters the room he gives the investigators the once-over, pausing a little longer when he regards Isadora. After introductions are made, the companions relate their findings and show him the notes they have found.

Harden regards them silently. “I have to admit, we didn’t have much to go on. But it looks like this Owen might be able to answer a few questions for us, doesn’t it?”

He stands up. “You can accompany us, but I want you all to stay back. He may be armed. Do you agree?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, of course, Detective," says Alice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions follow Harden outside where he gets into a police car manned by a uniformed patrolman.

They get into Isadora’s car and set off after the patrol car. The cars pass through the streets of Arkham, heading north. The sky is leaden and grey, and the winter lays heavy upon the New England landscape.

After a drive of about 30 minutes, the police car turns off the road onto a narrow unpaved lane. The surrounding fields are barren and appear to have been untended for some time. There are no other habitations nearby – it seems to be an ideal location for activities which must remain private.

At the end of the lane lay the charred and overgrown remains of a building. No other structures are nearby. The police car stops and the men get out. The companions pull up behind them, and exit their vehicle too.
Farmhouse.jpg
OOC,Roll Spot Hidden
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Spot Hidden 25 [dice]0[/dice]
As they get out of the car, Harrison looks around before commenting quietly. "I've got an bad feeling about this."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice can't see where the entrance to the basement is, but she's sure it's there somewhere.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (56% skill) at the farmhouse: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry pulls his coat around him against the cold.
Spoiler:
Henry Spot Hidden 27 [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Harden Spot Hidden 55: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/645605]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]18[/b]

“What’s that?”
says Harden suddenly. He stalks off to the rear of the ruined house, followed by the other officer. They begin to pull branches and foliage away and soon an old Model T is partially exposed.

The policemen regard it silently, and then move back to the house. The ground around it is littered with blackened and rotting wood, and the foundations are overgrown with weeds and brambles. Nonetheless, a set of narrow steps leading down are visible, the vegetation around them seemingly recently cut.

Harden produces a torch from his pocket and shines it down the stairs, but not much is visible. He draws his sidearm.

“You folks need to stay here” he tells the companions. “Anything bad goes down, you get out and go for help.”

Followed by the other officer, he heads down.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Go for help?" says Alice, shaking her head. "If they run into trouble, by the time we went for help and came back with it, it would be too late. We're here now, and we're equipped to handle this sort of thing. If they need help, well provide it, and they can yell at us for it later. At least they'll be alive to do so. Let's check out the car while we wait." She examines the old Model T.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

At that moment, the companions hear a cry of alarm followed by a yell of pain, coming from the basement.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison is startled by the yell from the basement and looks to the others for guidance. "So what do we do?" He asks as he pulls out his pistol.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We get down there and help them," says Alice, gripping her shotgun and heading for the stairs. "We'll need light down there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions rush to the steps but quickly realise their predicaament – these stone steps have become carpeted over the years by moss and mold, and are very slippery. Alice, brandishing her shotgun, is first, followed by Harrison and then Isadora, with Henry bringing up the rear.
OOC,Roll DEXx5. If you succeed, you navigate the steps safely. If not, you tumble for 1d6 HP damage. You can mitigate this if you successfully Jump; you’ll only have to roll 1d3. A critical fail will see you crash into your companion, with disastrous consequences for whomever is in front of you!
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is unarmed this time, so she takes a flashlight, and helps by providing light for the others. However, by doing this, she herself ends up tumbling down the stairs and slicing her leg upon a protruding metal bar!
Roll,DEX 13 x 5 = 60 [dice]0[/dice] Jump 25% [dice]1[/dice] Damage [dice]2[/dice]

Return to “A Little Knowledge”