Chapter 4: The Miskatonic Exhibit Museum

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 4: The Miskatonic Exhibit Museum

Post by HoneyDog »

Tuesday February 26th, 1929

The Miskatonic Exhibit Museum stands across the lane from St. Mary’s Hospital. It is an odd relic, having been present since the Arkham College was revitalized in 1765. It was rebuilt and enlarged after a fire in 1902, and is in the process of being modernized and expanded by its energetic curator, George Grewe.

Opening at 10am, the investigators can enter the museum without any admission charge. The outer façade is decorated in neoclassical style, with the entrance flanked by statues of Jeremiah Orne and Stanley Hoyt, worthy figures in the University’s history.

At this time, the museum is quiet. Entering the building, the companions are confronted by the Natural History section, which contains such sights as elephants, lions, and a very large plankton-eating shark. To the side, the skeleton of a sauropod has been erected amongst a collection of fossils.

Despite the many fascinating wonders presented, the companions are here for a singular purpose.
OOC,George Grewe is quite a well-known figure around campus. Perhaps Alice and Harrison have met him? Roll Know. He might be able to help you.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Re: Chapter 4: The Miskatonic Exhibit Museum

Post by Starspawn338 »

Know,Knowledge 85 [dice]0[/dice]
Harrison has been here before and prepares to direct the others to the Contemporary Cultures Hall. As they begin to walk, he asks, "Do you think we should get some background on the exhibit from the curator?
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I know him, and he could be helpful," says Alice. "We'll just have to be careful what we say to him. We don't want to arouse suspicion with our questions."
OOC,Know roll (80% stat) about [b]Grewe[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Perhaps we can go with the perfectly innocent and essentially true line: you just want to show the exhibition to me, your guest?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can, but at some point we'll have to request to borrow one of the bracelets," says Alice. "If he says no, and we have to get one anyway, that could be a problem. He'll remember we asked about it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Maybe borrow it... for a portrait? You want to have your portrait painted, or a photograph taken, wearing this piece? No, no... Sounds stupid..."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"It's the best idea so far" says Henry
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That might work." says Alice. "We might want to say simply that we want to have a portrait made, not necessarily that I'll be the subject of it. Then if he presses further, we can say that we have a model arranged. That'll be Asenath, but we're better off not dropping her name if we can help it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Would you all like to talk to George Grewe then?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"No, we shouldn't mention Asenath. Let's say the portrait is yours, Alice.

"I'm more than happy to make a couple of sketches,"
she adds with a smile.
OOC,Yes, I think we are ready to approach him! Alice or Harrison should do the introduction
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I’m not sure about your plan… walking into a museum and asking to borrow an exhibit is probably pretty unlikely to succeed, even if you know the curator. You’ll need a convincing reason as to why you must have that bracelet, and successful persuade rolls from both Alice & Harrison. If that’s okay, I’ll bring on Grewe.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Maybe we could talk to [b]Dr. Bricknell[/b] first and explain to him why we need to borrow a bracelet, and then have him put in a good word for us to [b]Grewe[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,Bricknell is the dean, right? Sounds like an idea, but how will Alice frame this request?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I was thinking we'd just tell [b]Dr. Bricknell[/b] the truth: [b]Asenath Waite[/b] is our only lead in the investigation he assigned us, and she told us she will only share what she knows if we bring her one of the bracelets so that she can look at it. He may not want to tell [b]Grewe[/b] that, but it's up to him how he wants to approach him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"After all, you were unofficially requested by the dean to look into this matter..."

Isadora agrees to the course offered by Alice.

"But let's just take a quick glance at the exhibit before we do that. I would like to see with my own eyes what is it that Asenath wants."

Isadora starts looking for the bracelets. How is the collection organised? Is there a "jewelry" section? Perhaps local arts and crafts?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Inside the main entrance where the companions are standing they can see a small desk containing information leaflets, including a map of the museum.

There are several exhibits and rooms listed; as well as the Natural History room which they face, there is Ancient Cultures, Geology, Ancient & Classical Arts, Contemporary Culture, the Art Gallery, a Rotating Exhibit which is currently showing items from the South Pacific collected by Professor Harold Hadley Copeland, and the Orne Collection.
OOC,You’re going to require random Luck rolls to keep from running into [b]Grewe[/b]. [b]Dr. Bricknell[/b] is the Dean of Students and has a reputation as a disciplinarian. Don’t assume that he won’t anger and decide to summon [b]Asenath[/b] to explain herself instead of agreeing to your plan. [b]Alice[/b] will need to roll Persuade to convince him.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry examines the map and determines the location of the Contemporary Cultures hall.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

I agree with Isabella in that we should go look at the exhibit first. Perhaps we will notice something before we start to involve other people. Harrison shrugs. "But I'm quite apparently not as experienced as all of you in these matters.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,About Grewe - is it a problem if we run into him? At this point, we are simply visitors to the museum.
Isadora follows Harry to the Contemporary Cultures hall.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think it might be better if we talk to Dr. Bricknell first," says Alice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “A Little Knowledge”