Page 1 of 1

Chapter 2: Campus of Horror

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm
by HoneyDog
Delaying the visit to the Desolate Highway Café for now, the investigators head over to the Orne Library to find the place from which Frank Charlton met his death.

On the way, they are lucky to meet Henry Glynn, fresh from his visit to the local police. They fill each other in on their findings, and then resume their short journey to the library.

Unfortunately, that worthy institution is closed. A sign hangs on the door, notifying that it will reopen in the morning, at the usual time of 8am.

Re: Chapter 2: Campus of Horror

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:01 pm
by Starspawn338
"Do any of you have the authority to get the building opened for us to investigate?"

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Hello old friend!" Henry is delighted to see Balzac.

Henry proceeds to introduce himself to Harrison:

"I don't believe we've met. I'm Henry Glynn - perhaps you've read one of my books?"

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't have the authority," says Alice, "but Dr. Bricknell might. I can ask him if he can get us access to the roof."

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:49 am
by Starspawn338
"Harrison Matthews. I'm sorry but I don't get to do much pleasure reading." Harrison smiles. "Pleased to meet you."

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:56 am
by andyw666

Balzac beams happily. "M. Glynn, it is always the pleasure to catch up. We are all reunited, ready for more travails."

"But I must tell your about this most interesting mystery."
Balzac quickly summarises for Henry the coroner's findings.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am
by HoneyDog
Just then the door opens and someone comes out. It is Daniel Reardon, the student librarian. He is wearing his coat, and is surprised to see the investigators.

“Oh!” he exclaims. “Sorry but we closed because of the police investigation. We’ll be open again tomorrow.”

He recognizes Alice. “You’re Alice Stanton, aren’t you? If you need something particular, I’m sure nobody will mind. The police aren’t looking around in here anymore. Just don’t take too long though.”

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am
by andyw666

Balzac points into the library.

"Come, mes amis, let's see what mysteries the library can reveal."

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:15 pm
by HoneyDog
Daniel lets the companions into the library and they make their way up the stairs, eventually finding the door to the roof.

Ordinarily kept locked, it has obviously been bashed in with great force. The lock and door handle lay on the floor, their former position marked by a splintered mess.

A line of police tape covers the doorway.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm
by Starspawn338
Harrison examines to door to see if there are any markings to show what was used to smash the door (e.g. hammer, crowbar, fists...).

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:20 am
by HoneyDog
There are no tool marks around the door or the lock.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice peers past the police tape to see what's visible on the roof itself.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:03 am
by HoneyDog
What can be seen of the roof from the door looks very ordinary, there is nothing of interest.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:36 am
by andyw666

Balzac peers at the police tape.

"Is there some way to move the tape, to get into the roof, I wonder?"

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 am
by HoneyDog
The tape looks like it could be moved, and replaced after. Of course, the companions run the risk of trespassing on a crime scene.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am
by andyw666

"Time, as we say in medicine, to carpe the Hell out of that diem. With apologies to Horace."

Balzac had a quick, guilty look around then carefully moves the tape, stepping out onto the roof. He is careful to hopefully not be seen and even more hopefully not fall off. Balzac starts looking about.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am
by HoneyDog
The roof is bare and there is nothing to find. Peering over the side, the companions would be able to see the steps below where Frank Charlton met his fate – for the second time?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:22 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Shall we call on Biff Williams next? In fact I was on my way to do so when I ran into you lot."

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:42 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Alice was given Biff's location. He's being accommodated in the the East dorm.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's go," says Alice. "We still have time before we go to the café. He's in the East Dorm."

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:43 am
by Starspawn338
Harrison concurs. "Yes, let's talk to Frank's roommate."

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:53 am
by andyw666

"Mon Dieu! Biff? Is that a real name? And so this Biff personage is the deceased Charlton's roommate?"

"And can I just add that once again, Horace has let me down. Curse you, Horace."

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 am
by HoneyDog
Our investigators, undaunted by the barren roof, set off for the East dorm. This is where freshman are required to reside, and unfortunate sophomores who can find nowhere else. They are unfortunate as it easily the worst university accommodation, with faulty heating, a leaky roof, a dreadful canteen and poor plumbing. Combined with the level of hubbub and noise, it is nicknamed ‘Hell East’.

The atmosphere today is more subdued though, probably owing to the dreadful events that have occurred. The presence of a uniformed policeman in the reception hall might also have something to do with it. There is a reception desk manned by an unhappy-looking upperclassman.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 pm
by Starspawn338
"Greetings." Harrison says to the student behind the desk. "Why are the police here?"

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry whispers to Alice:

"Say, who's this Harrison chap anyway?"

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:57 am
by HoneyDog
As Henry mutters in the background, the student replies to Harrison.

“Well, it’s cause of, well, you know…”

The officer begins eyeing our heroes with interest.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 am
by andyw666

Balzac starts to fidget. He strides up the the student at the desk. "Young sir, I am Dr Balzac of the Medical School. Can we please speak to - ah - Biff? College business."

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"He apparently knew the two students," Alice whispers back to Henry. "He was at the hospital with Dr. Balzac when I met him." She also approaches the officer. "And I'm Alice Stanton. Dr. Bricknell sent us."

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:09 am
by HoneyDog
“Biff Williams?” exclaims the student.

The policeman looks at Alice. “Can I ask what you folks want with Biff Williams?” he says.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'd just like to speak to him briefly," says Alice, "to ask him a few questions about his recent observations of his roommate."

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:13 am
by HoneyDog
“You know this is a police investigation, right?” frowns the officer. “Wait here”.

He walks to the nervous upperclassman. “Give me the ‘phone, sonny” he tells the student. On receipt of that instrument, he places a call, head turned away so that he cannot be easily overheard, but it is clear that he is talking to a superior.

After about ten minutes has passed, he finally hangs up and turns to Alice.

“Okay Miss Stanton. The lieutenant checked with Dr. Bricknell. Now Williams isn’t under arrest so you can talk to him, but he’s the most likely suspect, so we’re keeping an eye on him. I’ll come up with you and wait outside the door.”

He leads them to a 2nd floor room, passing curious students on the way. The room’s resident is sitting on the bed, staring miserably at the wall. Biff Williams is a tall and powerful looking young man, obviously an athlete. He definitely has the build to be able to carry and throw a body from a roof. But now he looks downcast about his predicament.

The room is mostly bare, as his belongings are still in the room he shared with Charlton. All the companions can see are his basic necessities, and gym kit. He looks warily at the companions as they enter his room. He doesn’t appear to recognize any of them.

“What do you want?”
he asks neutrally.

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Alice Stanton," says Alice. "My friends and I would just like to ask you a few questions about your roommate, Mr. Williams. Have you noticed any change in his behavior recently?"

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:48 am
by HoneyDog
Biff blows air out of his mouth. ”Well, he was killed. I guess that changed his behavior quite a lot, don’t you think?”

He opens his hands. ”Look, I’ve already had the cops grilling me about Frank he says. ”I don’t know who you people are. Why should I talk to you?”

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:57 am
by andyw666

Balzac reverts to dispassionate scientist examining bug on a slide demeanour.

"M. Biff, my name is Dr Balzac, I am from the University medical school. Our concern is that your friend became involved in some student extra-curricular activity that led to his sad end. If there are other students who may also be in danger, obviously we wish to protect them. And the University."

"You have no particular reason to trust us nor we you but right now I think you need some support. And that is something we can offer. Do not imagine, however, that the University's patience is infinite."

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:04 am
by HoneyDog
Biff narrows his eyes as regards the companions. ”You’re with the university? Really?” His face changes and he looks at them imploringly.

”Look, I had nothing to do with Frank’s death. Honest. Please don’t let the cops arrest me. I liked Frank. Why would I kill him?”

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:26 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Sorry everyone, I need to be clearer - this isn't Biff's normal room he shared with Charlton. He's been moved to this temporary room while the investigation is underway. So apart from a few personal things, the room is bare of belongings and things of interest.  

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I can't think of any reason you would," says Alice. "If you help us, we'll be able to help you. All we need to do is find out how Frank really died, and then you'll be in the clear. To do that, we'll need to ask you some questions. When was the last time you saw him?"

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:33 am
by HoneyDog
Biff thinks.

“I saw him briefly the day before yesterday. He sometimes stayed out. But there didn’t seem to be anything wrong. We weren’t close, but he didn’t say that he had any problems to me.”

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Have you ever met Vittoria Nangelo?" asks Alice. "Do you know if she and Frank were acquainted?"

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 am
by HoneyDog
Biff shakes his head vehemently. “I never met her. And Frank never mentioned her to me. I certainly didn’t attack her. I don’t see why Frank would have either.”

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:01 am
by andyw666

"M. Biff, were any of Frank's friends interested in conducting odd or strange science experiments or medical experiments? The sort of thing students would only do out of hours, without approval."

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:03 pm
by HoneyDog
Biff’s brow furrows in confusion.

“Science experiments? Geez, Frank was a classics student. He never talked about anything to do with science, or experiments. That sure wasn’t his thing. He was an art and poetry guy, you know, that kind of stuff. But he did have some screwy ideas. He talked about magic and the existence of different dimensions. He'd ramble on about stuff like that - I never paid much attention. But I don’t think he was that serious about it. It was just that crowd he was mixing with.”

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Tell us about this crowd," says Alice. "Who was part of it?"

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:42 am
by HoneyDog
“I don’t really know any of them” says Biff. “They’re the bohemian set, you know, they talk about great art, literature and philosophy and what-not. Pretty pretentious. Mostly just enjoy the sound of their own voices, in my opinion. Their favourite hangout is the Desolate Highway Café, if you care to talk to any of them”.

Biff thinks. “Actually, there is one of them who could probably tell you about Frank. Asenath Derby. She’s the leader, I think. I heard that Frank was having an affair with her, but he was very coy about it. She’s married you know”.
Harrison,Harrison will have seen Asenath Waite Derby at the Café and on campus before. She’s very attractive and exerts a powerful pull on the other students in her circle. She hails from Innsmouth, and is definitely the subject of rumours regarding dark magic. She’s not easy to talk to, disdaining strangers, so Harrison hasn’t had the pleasure.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, we didn't know that," says Alice. "That is helpful. Could you please describe her so we'll recognize her? Do you know her address? If not, we could just find her at the café?.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 am
by Starspawn338
"I know of her." Harrison says. "I can point her out if I see her at the Cafe although I've never actually spoken to her before."

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 am
by HoneyDog
”I’ve no idea about her address” says Biff. ”I’ve never met her”.

His face suddenly screws up in misery. ”Please believe me. I had nothing to do with Frank’s death”.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"We'll get to the bottom of this," Alice assures him. "I can't think why the police would even suspect you if not for the fact that you were his roommate, and that proves nothing. One of the great things about America is that you have the presumption of innocence."

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:35 am
by HoneyDog
Biff nods meekly. “Thanks so much” he says in a subdued voice.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:46 pm
by andyw666

"On the upside, M. Biff, I doubt anyone will want to share a room with you after this, so you will likely have a room to yourself." With that, Balzac tips his bowler and departs the room.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Is everyone leaving now? Are there no more questions for Biff?

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:56 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora has no questions to Biff. She finds that she is actually quite eager to see the local bohemians.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're welcome, and thank you for your help," says Alice. "We'll let you know if we have any further questions."
OOC,Yes, I'm ready to go.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:02 am
by Starspawn338
"Just one last thing, you said that Frank sometimes stayed out. What did you mean by that?" Harrison says. "And how often would that occur?"

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:49 am
by HoneyDog
Biff shrugs. “Not so often. I assume he was with a lady friend. Probably Asenath, if the stories are true. He never denied seeing her”.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:23 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Thank you Biff, and good luck with your studies."