Chapter 1d: Balzac, Harrison, Alice & Isadora

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Re: Chapter 1d: Balzac, Harrison, Alice & Isadora

Post by Starspawn338 »

"The Desolate Highway Cafe." Harrison answers. "It opens at 4:30 but it may take a bit before the students gather. They don't exactly wait outside for it to open."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can head there once it's open, then," says Alice. "We'll have to eat dinner anyway. What did you learn from the autopsy results?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac nods. "One second Mlle, but before we get to that, I'm just interested in what M. Matthews here has to say."

"So, Monsieur, what do you know about the young man and woman being involved in black magic, whatever that may be? And how did you come to know about it?"
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Balzac nods. "One second Mlle, but before we get to that, I'm just interested in what M. Matthews here has to say."

"So, Monsieur, what do you know about the young man and woman being involved in black magic, whatever that may be? And how did you come to know about it?"
"I know Frank more than Vittoria having had some spirited discussions with him in the past. The "black magic" is just rumors I've heard from other students. I don't know if it is true. Some even go so far as to say satanic rituals but I would highly doubt that he was involved with that.

Harrison pauses and absentmindedly raises his index finger to smooth his mustache. "However, I wouldn't discount the black magic rumor out of hand as there have been some undercurrents of magical or paranormal experimentation here at the University."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac's bushy eyebrows raise. "Quelle surprise. And which students, which faculties are involved in this dabbling in black magic or paranormal experimentation that you have heard rumours of?"
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison shrugs. "I'm sure all of you wouldn't be here checking in on Vittoria if you didn't at least suspect that there were things going on here at the University that would make truth of the rumors."

Harrison pauses and clears his throat. Making eye contact with Dr. Balzak , he continues, "I'm interested in facts and not rumors which is why I am here. Do you have a working theory better than black magic?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"While there may be more to this than meets the eye," says Alice, "I know hardly anything about it yet. I haven't seen anything to indicate black magic as the cause so far. Of course, Dr. Balzac probably knows more than I do about it, so we'll hear what he has to say."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac studies Harrison with dispassionate scientific interest.

"M. Matthews, I think you are mistaken. The dead young man and traumatised young woman are a mystery, a matter for the University to be concerned about, and possibly a crime. They are hardly proof of the other-worldly, however."

"And I think you will find that we are here because of the University's concern. As a doctor and scientist, I am only interested in hypothesising from the observable facts. Having said that, if students are dabbling in what they perceive as the occult, and in the process getting hurt or killed through misadventure, we would very much like to put a stop to that."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora listens to the conversation unfold. Oh, she knows a thing or two about university students dabbling in black magic. She feels that a decade ago she would have fitted quite well into The Desolate Highway Cafe gang...

"Dr. Balzac is right: there is a evident danger, and we must learn more about what's already done, so, perhaps, we can stops what is about to happen."

"Let's visit this Cafe, then. However, I think it is better if we split up, go in two separate groups, maybe. To draw less attention. Mr. Matthews, have you been to this establishment before? Would the frequent visitors, the other students, recognize you?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Starspawn338,As I said before, Harrison will be familiar with that crowd, but is not a regular, and is certainly not involved in any unsavoury activities. So there is a good chance that he will know someone there who he can perhaps press for further information.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

evil_scientist wrote:Isadora Carmichael

"Dr. Balzac is right: there is a evident danger, and we must learn more about what's already done, so, perhaps, we can stops what is about to happen."

"Let's visit this Cafe, then. However, I think it is better if we split up, go in two separate groups, maybe. To draw less attention. Mr. Matthews, have you been to this establishment before? Would the frequent visitors, the other students, recognize you?"
"Yes, I've been there several times. I was going to go do some investigating on my own before I met up with the good Doctor here and then you two ladies as well." Harrison confirms.

"Perhaps it would be best if you and I went first," he continues, gesturing to Isadora, "as the other two are known to work for the University and the students might not offer as much candid information if they suspect it will go to the authorities."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Starspawn338 wrote:"Perhaps it would be best if you and I went first," he continues, gesturing to Isadora, "as the other two are known to work for the University and the students might not offer as much candid information if they suspect it will go to the authorities."
"Yes, I agree. And I feel I might strike a chord with the students, if they are anything like the bohemian occultists of the Quartier Latin..."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac holds up a hand. "Before we go, let me summarise what the coroner told me. This is in strictest confidence though, please tell no-one else."

He ticks facts off using the fingers of his left hand.

"The young man's death occurred at approximately 2 a.m. on Sunday February 24th. The cause of death was suffocation. The coroner found a small puncture-mark on the inside of the deceased's left wrist, consistent with the size and placement of a hypodermic. It appeared to have been carried out post-mortem as there was no bruising or bleeding evident.”

“The corpse showed post-mortem lividity, indicating that the body lay face-up for some hours after death. Lastly, there were several abrasions and three spinal fractures, which accurred approximately 18 hours after death, presumably caused by a fall.”

"Consistent with the young man's body falling from the library roof to the steps below. And the door to the roof had been forced open."

"Yet Vittoria positively identified Charlton as the one who attacked her. Not long before his body fell from the library roof. At which point he'd been dead 18 hours."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"She identified him?" asks Alice. "But she wasn't responsive at all."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

"I do not know the specifics, Mile. The coroner reported to me what he knew and he was not treating the young lady. One of the investigating police, her doctor, or her family might be able to answer that question. I agree with your point though, she is unresponsive now. So there must have been some point when she was able to convey that information."

"Perhaps the shock of learning the man who attacked her had already been dead for 18 hours is what has made her so catatonic?"

"And as an alternative plan, Mile Alice and I might go and have a look at the library roof while you other two go to this cafe? Unless we all have time now?"

Time,What is the time? Is there time for everyone to inspect the roof?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It’s about 3.45. There’s plenty of time if you want to go to see the roof, if that’s what everyone wants to do.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac consults his pocket watch. "There is plenty of time. Let us have a look at this roof! Rapide!"

He encourages the others in the right direction.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, let's go," says Alice, following Dr. Balzac to the roof.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"If they will let us look. Don't the police have the area cordoned off?" Harrison follows after Dr. Balzac. "I guess we'll see."

Return to “A Little Knowledge”