Chapter 1d: Balzac, Harrison, Alice & Isadora

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 1d: Balzac, Harrison, Alice & Isadora

Post by HoneyDog »

As he sits in the waiting room, Harrison sees a rather curious figure approach a nurse outside. He wears a green coat and sports a bowler hat. As the door is open, he hears the figure enquire about the location of Vittoria Nangelo.
Harrison,Roll Know about this man.
Balzac,What will you tell the nurse?
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Re: Chapter 1d: Balzac & Harrison

Post by Starspawn338 »

Knowledge roll,Knowledge 85 [dice]0[/dice]
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harrison,[b] Harrison[/b] recognizes the man from around the campus – he is [b]Dr. Henri Balzac,[/b] one of the lecturers from the School of Medicine.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac politely raises his hat to the nurse. "Bonjour Mlle, I am Dr Balzac from the Miskatonic Medical School. I was hoping for just a minute with the young lady, Vittoria, to pass on the University's best wishes, and perhaps to see if there is any medical insight I can provide into her condition."

"I have just been meeting with Dr Lodge, who has described her condition to me. Most tragic."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Oh!” says the nurse. “Yes, Dr. Balzac. You can see her, but she hasn’t been responsive. Please try not to disturb her if you can”.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac nods in solemn agreement. "Of course Mlle, I shall be most discreet." He heads into Vittoria's room.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison heads over to Vittoria's room to intercept Dr. Balzac. "Dr. Balzac... Dr. Balzac. I'm a friend of Vittoria and Frank. Are you treating her?" He pauses before he continues, "I just can't believe the rumors about what happened."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac pauses to talk to Harrison. "Oui Monsieur, I was planning on visiting the young lady but I am not her treating physician. May I ask your name?"

"And may I ask how well you know the young lady and the late M. Frank Charleton? Do you have any idea what happened to them both? Any information may assist treating this poor girl, you know."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

andyw666 wrote: "Oui Monsieur, I was planning on visiting the young lady but I am not her treating physician. May I ask your name?"

"And may I ask how well you know the young lady and the late M. Frank Charleton? Do you have any idea what happened to them both? Any information may assist treating this poor girl, you know."
"My name is Harrison Matthews. As I said, I am friends with Vittoria and Frank, although not a close friend. I certainly understand that any information would be welcome but I must admit that I am in the dark about what could have caused this. I was just visiting Vittoria and she was completely unresponsive. You can see for yourself."

Harrison shakes his head slowly. "I just want to help in any way I can. I was going to go to the the Desolate Highway Cafe when it opens a bit later this afternoon as I know that they and their friends hang out there. Would you like to accompany me? Perhaps between the two of us, we could find someone with information willing to talk."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 1d: Balzac, Harrison, Alice & Isadora

Post by HoneyDog »

At that moment, Alice and Isadora enter the scene, looking for Vittoria Nangelo’s room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Dr. Balzac!" says Alice, brightening when she sees him. "Fancy meeting you here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac's face lights up with genuine pleasure. "Quelle surprise! Mes amis, it is the great pleasure to see you both!" He envelopes both Alice and Isadora in a bear hug and there is kissing of about four cheeks.

"And how is M. Henri, well I trust?"

"But are you here for the same reason as me, this tragedy of the young man dead and the young lady here, Vittoria? Mlle Alice, I actually just left a message for you to call me regarding this. I was about to pay a visit on the young lady when this young man approached me, who apparently knew them both. This is M. Harrison Matthews."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Dr. Balzac!" Isadora returns Balzac's hearty welcome, then launches into a lengthy French greeting. She then quickly switches back to English.

"Hello, Mr. Harrison. It's a pity to meet under such circumstances... But perhaps we can work together to shed some light on this terrible event. Is Vittoria available for visits? Alice and I would like to check in on her."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, we're investigating the tragedy too, on behalf of the University," says Alice. "It would be good to work with you again, and your medical expertise may prove very useful. Pleased to meet you, Mr. Matthews."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison bows slightly to the two women. "I am likewise pleased to meet you both. Doctor's orders are that Vittoria is not to be disturbed but the kind nurse did let me go see her briefly. She was not responsive to any thing I said or did in the room." He pauses a moment, pondering what to say. "As I was telling Dr. Balzac, they and their friends hang out at the Desolate Highway Cafe and I was going to stop by there after it opens at 4:30 to see if I could find out any information from their other friends about what they might have been doing yesterday."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe Vittoria will be more responsive to women," says Alice. "It's worth a try, if they'll allow it. We can also try to find out about the results of Charlton's autopsy, presuming it was conducted here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac looks impressed. "Why am I not surprised to find you both already investigating this matter."

"As you know, I am always on the lookout for these events that may provide insight into this hidden world we keep catching glimpses of. Although, I have not decided if this current tragedy is such a case. It is certainly unusual."

"And, Mlle Alice, I can tell you all about the autopsy report. I have just come from speaking with Dr Lodge, the coroner. But we might discuss that elsewhere."

"Shall we pay a quick visit on this young lady now?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions enter Vittoria’s darkened room. As on Harrison’s earlier visit, Vittoria lays on the bed, her eyes fixed on the ceiling. She doesn’t seem to have moved and doesn’t appear to have registered their entry.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice walks up to the bed and takes hold of Vittoria's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Vittoria, my name is Alice Stanton," she says. "I'd like to talk to you, please."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Vittoria makes absolutely no reaction. She continues to stare at the ceiling.

Return to “A Little Knowledge”