Chapter 1c: Harrison

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 1c: Harrison

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Please make sure you read the background in the Common Room thread.  
Harrison Matthews also hears the news about Frank Charlton. He knew Frank slightly; both are members of the bohemian set (although Harrison wouldn’t consider himself to be very much of a regular with that crowd; there interests just overlap sometimes), and would sometimes discuss more esoteric philosophy at the Desolate Highway Café, favoured hangout of the set. How on earth did he come to be dead on the steps of the library? Where was he the night before? And what about Vittoria Nangelo? These questions play in his mind as he walks to the library to get a peek at the activity there.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Re: Chapter 1c: Harrison

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison walks around the library to get an overview of what's going on.

"Very unusual. I don't know if I prefer to find out it's a suicide or a murder." He says to no one in particular but loudly enough that anyone listening would hear. "I just hope they find out and let everyone know."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Charlton’s body has of course been removed, but the chalk outline marking where it lay is still visible. It seems that the police have finished here for now, but a uniformed officer stands guard over the area which has been roped off.

A few other students stand around, ogling the scene and gossiping among themselves.
OOC,Roll Luck.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Luck roll,Luck 80 [dice]0[/dice]
Harrison moves closer to the roped off area to see if he notices anything unusual.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

One of the nearby students overhears Harrison talking to himself. Casting sidelong glances, he finally picks up the courage to approach our hero. He is young, most likely a freshman. He wears an old duffel coat, buttoned up against the cold. His rather large ears have turned pink.

“Say!” he exclaims. “Have you heard anything about what happened?”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison looks over at the student and shrugs. "I've not heard anything but the gossip that Frank was killed here and they closed the library. It certainly is unsettling to have something like this occur on campus." Harrison studies the boy a bit closer as he leans in closer to make sure no one else can listen. "Do you know anything?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The kid looks around theatrically before answering, sotto voce, “I hear he was part of that odd bohemian crowd. Apparently they experiment with black magic. I don't know how true that is, but I wouldn’t like to get mixed up with them. I wonder if this is because of some awful satanic rite?”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Black magic!" Harrison nods in agreement. "I heard that too. But I don't think it was a satanic ritual. Probably just a murder or a suicide... but until the authorities know for sure, do be careful."

Harrison puts his hand on the boy's shoulder with a concerned look before turning and moving closer to the roped off area. He maintains the look of concern for the benefit of the lone officer as he looks at the chalk outline of the body to gauge the position the body was found in and the amount of blood spilled.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

There is no blood at the scene. The position of the body doesn't reveal anything significant.
OOC,What would Harrison like to do?
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison is beginning to feel the cold settle in and decides he's wandered around the library long enough. Perhaps a cup of coffee and a sandwich at the Desolate Highway Cafe would be in order? He sticks his hands in his coat pockets to warm them up and walks away.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It won't be open until 4.30 - the time now is about 2pm. Would you like to move the action forward?
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,If Vittoria isn't under lock and key at the hospital, I would like to check in on her before the Cafe opens.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harrison finds that Vittoria Nangelo is at the hospital, but doctor’s orders are that she mustn’t be disturbed.
OOC,You might be able to get in to see her if you can think of something. You can try rolling.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison stops at the nurses station and inquires as to Vittoria's room number. Upon hearing that doctor's orders are that she not have visitors, he tries to talk his way into the room.
Fast Talk,Fast Talk 35% [dice]0[/dice]
"I understand that she is not to be disturbed but she and Frank were friends of mine and I'm certain that it would comfort her to know that her friends are thinking of her." Harrison pauses to gauge the nurse's demeanor before continuing, "I promise to just look in on her and pray a moment at the foot of her bed. I would of course inform her other friends that I have seen her and assure them that she is being well taken care of."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harrison’s earnestness impresses the nurse, and she finally relents to let him have a few minutes with Vittoria.

“It will help her to see a friend” she says.

Inside the room, the curtains are drawn so the light is dim. Vittoria lays on the bad, staring blankly at the ceiling. She has long dark hair, but at the moment it is matted and unkempt, and her elegant, sculptured face is pale. She doesn’t make any reaction towards the people who have just entered the room.

“Just a few minutes” says the nurse, and then leaves.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

As soon as the nurse is gone, Harrison will look to see if there are any doctor's notes about Vittoria's condition within the room.

Once that is done, he will approach her and quietly say, "Vittoria, your friends are thinking of you and praying for you to get better." He will observe closely to see if there is any reaction or any sign that she is conscious or able to hear and understand anything.
OOC,If she is completely unresponsive, I'd like a Psychoanalysis roll to see if I can identify her state.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

There are no doctor's notes. Vittoria is completely unresponsive to anything said to her. She continues to state at the ceiling.
OOC,Yes, you can roll Psychoanalysis.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Psychoanalysis Roll,Psychoanalysis 30 [dice]0[/dice]
Harrison leans over Vittoria and attempts to see if he can reach her but his limited knowledge and time don't allow him to make any headway. Unable to find out anything, he leaves the room and approaches the nurse who let him in.

"Thank you so much for allowing me to pray with her. However, I was disturbed to see that she was apparently completely oblivious to my presence. Can you tell me what you know about her condition?" Harrison pauses to swallow and take a deep breath in an attempt to compose himself. "It's just hard to see her like this."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I don’t know anything about it” says the nurse. “Only that she has been silent since she was brought in early this morning. I hear she was attacked, poor thing.”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison nods. "Thank you very much then. You've been very kind. I may be back to check on her again later. I hope you'll agree that my visit didn't disturb her."

Before he leaves, he checks the time to see how long it is before the Desolate Highway Cafe opens.

Return to “A Little Knowledge”