Chapter 1b: Balzac

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 1b: Balzac

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Please make sure you read the background in the Common Room thread.  
Balzac is working as an assistant instructor in the School of Medicine. The students are serious and attentive, and it is a good place to be a teacher. He hears the news about the dead student, and ponders its implications as he is marking some reports.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 2b: Balzac

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac has a coffee in front of him and a Gauloises smoldering away in the corner of his mouth as he happily enough grades. In his mind though, he is like a bee, senses and antennae attuned for strangeness.

Between student papers, Balzac pauses to think about the dead student. On the face of it, just a banal crime. Still, how often do such things happen in sleepy New England towns? Let alone within Miskatonic [#].

Balzac decides a trip to the morgue would not be wasted time, one way or another, to see for himself if there is anything truly strange about this case. And for completeness, perhaps a visit to the hospital to see what happened to the young lady. He could say he was just checking if there was anything he could do to help.
OOC:   [#] If only Balzac knew...  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac learns through enquiring at the reception that the autopsy has been conducted at St. Mary’s by Dr. Whitby Lodge of Salem, the Essex County coroner. He was assisted by Dr. Thomas Hannigan, a local doctor of good repute who sometimes assists with cases at the hospital, and also with the occasional class at the Medical School. Both are possibly still on the premises.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac checks his pocket watch, chugs the last of his coffee, and grabs his green trench coat and hat. He heads off to find these two fellow medical professionals, hoping they will be willing to talk shop with him.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Inquiring at the hospital, Balzac finds that Dr. Lodge will spare him some time, providing he can wait and also explain why he is interested in the case.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac is ready to wait, Gauloises in hand, and at the same time mentally assemble some justification for his curiosity...
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 1b: Balzac

Post by HoneyDog »

It is about 45 minutes before the good Doctor Lodge appears. He is a small, officious-looking elderly man with white hair and beard, balding on top. He shakes hands with Balzac.

“Nice to meet you Doctor” he says. “I’m quite busy, so if you can tell me what this is regarding, I’d be grateful.” He believes in getting to the point.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac wastes no time. "M. le doctor, it is most kind of you to meet me. I know you are busy and I shall not waste but a moment of your time."

"In brief, I teach at Miskatonic Medical School. As you can imagine, this tragedy had caused uproar. The university has a moral obligation, however, to ensure the safety of all of the other students, and indeed staff."

"I have no doubt you have been in communication with the local constabulary, however, sometimes it is better to seek information from the source, rather than wait until we hear from the police. In short, can you give me some idea of the cause of death of the poor young man, so that I might make recommendations to the Dean and other staff regarding the safety of our students. In strictest confidence, naturally, between medical colleagues."

"Do not spare my feelings either, I am no stranger to violent death."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I’m aware of who you are Dr. Balzac says Lodge. He hesitates for a moment. “I don’t mind sharing our findings with you, but I ask you keep this conversation private until the inquest. What we found was quite odd in terms of what was reported to me about the incident by the police, but I’m not going to speculate on it.”

He indicates Balzac to accompany him to a private waiting room, and once inside, he consults his notes.

“Death occurred at approximately 2 a.m. on Sunday February 24th. The cause of death was suffocation. We found a small puncture-mark on the inside of Charlton’s left wrist, consistent with the size and placement of a hypodermic. It appeared to have been carried out post-mortem as there was no bruising or bleeding evident.”

He clears his throat and carries on.

“The corpse showed post-mortem lividity, indicating that the body lay face-up for some hours after death. Lastly, there were several abrasions and three spinal fractures, which accurred approximately 18 hours after death, presumably caused by a fall.”

He stops and looks at Balzac. “Yet a witness says she saw this young man not long before the fall happened. Strange, but she must have been mistaken. I will be reporting these facts to the police.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac lights another Gauloises, offering one to Dr Lodge.

"I gather he was found on the steps of the library. Could the post-mortem injuries have been caused as his body was dropped on the steps perhaps?"

"And is this connected with the young lady who was attacked or is that a separate matter?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Yes, his injuries are consistent with a fall from the roof. And the police tell me that the door to the roof had been battered in – someone had forced entry.”

He waves away the offer of a cigarette.

“The young lady positively identified Charlton as the one who attacked her. I can’t explain that, except that she must be mistaken.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac shakes his head. "It is the mystery. Tempting as it is to blame student amusements gone awry, this is something far, far stranger. And worse."

"If I may ask, what were the nature of the young lady's injuries?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Lodge shakes his head.

“I wasn’t attending her. I believe though that her injuries are more psychological than physical. I’ve heard though that she hasn’t spoken since she was found earlier this morning. I hope that someone will be able to get through to her.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac nods sadly. "One hears that some of the young people dabble with narcotics, although I have a hard time imagining this at Miskatonic. Was there any indication, though, that the young man may have been under the influence of drugs?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“No signs whatsoever. He was suffocated Doctor; smothered by something, would be my guess. Whether it was accidental or intentional I cannot say, but he could not have thrown himself off the roof, so we must draw conclusions from that fact."

He puts on his hat. “I must be going now. Honestly Doctor, it might seem like a very strange case considering the young lady’s statement as to her attacker, but it’s impossible. He died the night before last. Good day to you. It was a pleasure to meet you. No doubt we will cross paths again.”

He nods his head and leaves the room.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac rises and nods back.

"Thank you for your time, doctor. Please don't hesitate to contact me if ever there is something I can do to help."

Curiosity picqued, Balzac finds his way back to the reception and politely enquires what room the young lady, Vittoria Nangelo, is in.
OOC,Is there a pay phone at the hospital or nearby? Balzac is thinking of calling [b]Alice[/b].
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Balzac can call Alice from the hospital but he’ll find that she’s been called to a meeting with Dr. Bricknell, the Dean of Students. He can leave a message for her. Young Harrison Matthews has just finished visiting Vittoria. It would be good if he and Balzac could run into each other – I’d like to start combining the threads if I can. Balzac will have no problem gaining access to Vittoria as he is a faculty Doctor, but of course he will need to give a good reason.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac leaves a message for Alice to contact him or find him at the Medical School, in regard to the young man found dead at the University and the injured young woman.

Then he heads off to Vittoria Nangelo's room.
OOC,Definitely, let's have Balzac and the new guy meet up!

Return to “A Little Knowledge”