The Common Room

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: The Common Room

Post by evil_scientist »

Depicted: Isadora fending off parts:

"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Showing off parts, more like. I don't think that roof would support anyone for very long. Maybe Isadora should roll Luck?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:Showing off parts, more like. I don't think that roof would support anyone for very long. Maybe Isadora should roll Luck?
Maybe she is standing on the engine block? But I think there were some Model T's with solid roofs:

"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

It would be an old one, all that a poor student like Owen could afford. Lets hope Alice can come to the rescue!
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:It would be an old one, all that a poor student like Owen could afford. Lets hope Alice can come to the rescue!
I thought our car or the police vehicle was parked nearby as well, preferably of a more sturdy build!
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I would imagine George would have something much more sophisticated than a Model T for Isadora to run about in!
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Well done everyone! You solved the mystery. I hope you enjoyed the adventure.

You can roll 1d6 SAN gain for stopping Owen, and due to your growing reputations, 1d6 Credit Rating.

The next adventure, should you care to play, will be The Bosworth House from the Arkham Gazette 1. I’ll begin it soon.

Let me know your thoughts below.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Thanks, HoneyDog!

The adventure itself turned out more "Stuart Gordon" than I expected! The last scene, with the combat, felt a bit too tongue-in-cheek, over the top, I didn't enjoy it much. But there was some great social interaction during the first two-thirds of the scenario. It almost feels like a pity we had to deal with Owen, and not Asenath, who is much more interesting... Maybe some other time?

Looking forward to the next one!

Rolls,Sanity: [dice]0[/dice] Credit rating: [dice]1[/dice]
Skill advances,Jump 25% [dice]2[/dice] Increase: [dice]4[/dice] Dodge 33% [dice]3[/dice] Increase: [dice]5[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I kind of know what you mean, but it has its own logic. This is a story about a monster which is actually devoid of real monsters, at least what we would expect of CoC. Owen is just a man after all, with no particular special powers, so there had to be something more than just subduing him, which turned out to be pretty easy. He had a nasty damage bonus due to the re-animation rage though, so it’s lucky that the NPC had a good Dodge rating. It was the right and logical thing to involve the police; you would have suffered a lot more without them.

The next scenario will be quite different, a real change of pace. There should be a lot of interaction between the PCs, so I hope you will have a chance to have a good dialogue together. I prefer that to combat and dice rolling.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, I did like the adventure, and I'm looking forward to The Bosworth House!

Sanity (current level 61) increase:
[dice]0[/dice]
Credit Rating (current skill 59%) increase:
[dice]1[/dice]
Psychology (current skill 62%) XP check:
[dice]2[/dice]
Persuade (current skill 74%) XP check:
[dice]3[/dice]
Own Language: English (current base skill 80%) XP check:
[dice]4[/dice]
Own Language: English increase:
[dice]9[/dice]
Sanity gain for increasing skill to 90%:
[dice]12[/dice]
Library Use (current skill 56%) XP check:
[dice]5[/dice]
First Aid (current skill 60%) XP check:
[dice]6[/dice]
Shotgun (current skill 43%) XP check:
[dice]7[/dice]
Shotgun increase:
[dice]10[/dice]
Listen (current skill 65%) XP check:
[dice]8[/dice]
Listen increase:
[dice]11[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by innsmouth »

Spoiler:
SAN gain [dice]0[/dice]
Credit gain [dice]1[/dice]
Knife currently 25 [dice]2[/dice]
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Sanity recovery [dice]0[/dice] Credit Rating Increase [dice]1[/dice] Skill Advancement Checks Fast Talk 35 [dice]2[/dice] Own Language (English) 85 [dice]3[/dice] Hand to Hand 50 [dice]4[/dice] Pistol 47 [dice]5[/dice] [dice]6[/dice]
I enjoyed the game. I thought that Asenath was going to be intertwined in this in the end and I find myself still wondering what her long term plans are. The body parts in the end were a bit over the top. I could only really imagine hands/arms and heads being very effective attackers. If he had some reanimated animals and not discarded body parts attacking us at the end, it would have felt more appropriate in my imagination.

I'm looking forward to the next installment. This was my first completed online game. I hope I contributed appropriately.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Thanks for your excellent contribution Starspawn!

I'll announce the new game here soon, possibly tomorrow.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Here is the blurb for the new adventure. Mr. Handy, can you set it up for us? You can remove this game too.

The Bosworth House

A friend of the investigators stands accused of the murder of her husband, due to insanity. It is up to the companions to find out what drove her to commit this terrible deed.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Cool! Sounds like Call of Cthulhu meets The Sinner (which I'm watching right now). The new forum is here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “A Little Knowledge”