Page 1 of 1

Chapter 3: Asenath

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 am
by HoneyDog
5.30 pm

The investigators leave Biff to his own devices and head to the Desolate Highway Cafe on West Armitage Street. By the time they arrive, the cafe has been open for an hour, but it is still fairly quiet. There are a couple of older men playing chess, and a few younger people scattered around. The café is known for its tasty French country-style cooking. They will serve wine, but only if they know you. Luckily, Harrison has been here a few times and can help if the investigators have developed a thirst.

As yet, there is no sign of Asenath Derby, or any of her crowd.

Re: Chapter 3: Asenath

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to eat dinner anyway," says Alice, "so we might as well order. We'll see if they show up while we're eating."

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:24 am
by Starspawn338
"It's as if you read my mind." Harrison replies. "The bohemians will probably come late and stay later."

He sits at one of the larger tables and opens the menu. "It's been so cold, I think I could go for a bit of stew."

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 am
by andyw666

"Mon Dieu! French inspired New England country baking. Why have I not been here before? Time to let the belt out a notch."

In short order, Balzac has ordered coffee and enough bakery goods to satisfy three ordinary people. He settles down to sample.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:58 am
by HoneyDog
The companions partake of the hearty and filling food, which is quite delicious. As they eat and talk, getting to know a little more about Harrison, the café slowly begins to fill with customers, many of whom are obviously students, but there are several older people too. A lot of the talk which can be heard centers around the tragic events of that day. They are also able to learn from Harrison and the surrounding gossip that the bohemians are something of an infamous group, although this is not always fairly warranted. Rumours of debauchery surround them, although this must be tempered with the fact that Arkham is quite a conservative town. Luckily, Harrison is free of such associations.

At around 8pm several students enter. With them is an unusual but striking young woman. Her bearing is different to the students around her; she seems somehow more mature but cynical. Her hair is dark and lustrous, and her skin ivory white. She is tall, slender and graceful, clad in dark colours. If she has any flaw, it might be noted that her eyes seem slightly protuberant. She stands out among the other café denizens.
Harrison,This is[b] Asenath[/b]. You know that she will not be easy to approach.
andyw666,I just switched the posts around for narrative flow.
As the bohemians arrive, Isadora and Harrison hurriedly begin to move to a new table.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:35 am
by evil_scientist
OOC,I think our plan was to sit in two separate groups, so that we don't crowd or scare the bohemians. Isadora, Balzac and Harrison in group one (for first contact), Henry and Alice in group two (because they might know that Alice works for the university). Or should we ditch this plan?

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:01 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I've edited the above post to account for your plan.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:31 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is in her element. This café, the French food, the vibe, it all reminds her of her years in Paris. And when Asenath enters, she understands, why so many people are drawn to this unusual woman. Asenath's striking visage captivates her too.

She carries on a casual conversation with Harrison (asking whether he knows anybody else of Asenath's circle), but occasionally glances towards Asenath and her company. She doesn't try to be sneaky about this.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 pm
by HoneyDog
Harrison,Harrison spots one of the crowd whom he knows – Simon Tepper, a senior in the History department. Simon is a regular at the cafe, and is one of the bohemian set. They have discussed philosophy and history together, and are friendly, but not completely friends.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:47 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry chats to Alice about her cousin Emily's wedding but keeps an eye on Asenath.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:31 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"I'm an artist, a painter, from Boston. Isadora Carmichael. They might know me. They might not. But when the chance presents itself, let's try to walk up to them, maybe introduce me as well," she schemes with Harrison.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:33 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry suddenly says to Alice:

"Say, perhaps that bohemian set would like to meet me? I am getting to be a quite well known author after all."

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:18 am
by andyw666
OOC:    

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:21 am
by HoneyDog
andyw666,Sorry Andy but the companions have split up according to their earlier plans. Isadora and Harrison have moved away. Can you edit your post?

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:36 am
by andyw666
Sorry,Crap, I was under the impression the plan was Balzac was at the table with Isadora and Harrison. My bad but easy fixed. And I liked that post too! Oh well.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 am
by HoneyDog
Sorry,Sorry Andy. You could adjust it to say that Balzac stopped at their table. To be honest, I think splitting up will probably mean that some of you are less able to participate in questioning than others as only Harrison knows anyone here, but its up to you guys. At least, if you try to mingle with the students, you might be able to strike up some conversations, you have some good ideas so far.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good idea," says Alice. "Your books would probably be right up their alley. Should we wait to see how Isadora gets on with them first?"

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:39 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Don't wait for Harrison or Isadora. Just go ahead and approach some students. With a convincing story and a suitable roll (Luck, Fast Talk, Persuade) you'll at least get a conversation going.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 am
by Starspawn338
Harrison notices the group come in and says to Isadora, "That's Asenath in the middle there. I recognize an acquaintance too, Simon Tepper. Let's go over there. You said you were a painter?"

Harrison gets up from his chair and walks over towards Simon. As he gets closer, he raises his hand in greeting. "Hey Simon. I thought that was you. Let me introduce a friend of mine, Isadora Carmichael." He continues loudly enough for the others in the group to hear. "She's a artist from Boston and quite interesting. I don't suppose you're familiar with her work?"

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:45 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora,Roll Luck.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:54 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Luck 65

[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Ehh... :roll:
Looks like Isadora is not trendy with the younger crowds...

"It's a pleasure to meet you all," she says. "I like this place... Reminds me of Paris, and not just because of the food."

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:29 am
by HoneyDog
“I’m afraid not, Miss Carmichael says Simon apologetically. “But it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m more of a literature than an art fan, you see. How do you know Matthews here? I didn’t know he had many interests outside of his books.” Tepper seems like a pleasant enough young man.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's a literature fan," says Alice to Henry. "Let's go talk to him. I'm sure he'd like to hear about your books."

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 am
by andyw666

Balzac wipes icing sugar off his face, lights up a Gauloises, and wanders over to the counter to see if he can order a couple of bottles of wine. He mentions that he is here with M. Harrison Matthews, by way of recommendation.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:56 am
by HoneyDog
The counterman frowns. “I know young Matthews. But this isn’t Paris, friend. Haven’t you heard of prohibition? Wine comes in teacups, not bottles.”

He shakes his head at the ignorance of foreigners as he sees about getting Balzac a drink.
OOC,You're being a bit optimistic! Remember what year it is.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:18 am
by Starspawn338
HoneyDog wrote:"I didn’t know he had many interests outside of his books.”
"Hey now Simon. I enjoy philosophical debates as well as the next man...." Harrison pauses and looks towards Asenath before he continues. "Or woman."

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:28 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"That is true, indeed," Isadora attests. "We were in the middle of a philosophical debate, concerning the nature of the soul, the possibilities of reincarnation..."

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 am
by andyw666
OOC,Balzac is well aware of the existence of prohibition, he's just optimistic, and more to the point, trying to look cosmopolitan for the Bohemian crowd (not very well, perhaps).

Balzac arches an eyebrow. "Merci, Monsieur. You are too kind."

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:28 pm
by HoneyDog
Simon registers Harrison’s look at Asenath with wry amusement.

“Don’t tell me you’re getting a thing for our Asenath now, are you? Tsk tsk, Mr. Matthews he smirks. “You know she’s married, don’t you?”

He turns to Isadora, full of charm. Miss Carmichael, you’ve certainly come to the right place for debate. But please, if it’s not imposing, tell us more about yourself. You’re an artist no doubt. Your accent – you’re British, aren’t you?”

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:14 am
by andyw666

Balzac casts an eye about the room, looking to see if he recognises any of the student crowd or at least if there is anyone who looks remotely approachable.
OOC,Nothing ventured. Balzac will wander about a bit, trying to strike up a conversation with any students. He's happy to share good French cigarettes and buy tea cups of dodgy wine of questionable heritage if it helps. Fortunately, this is the 1920s and faculty did not yet get fired for this kind of dodgy behaviour...

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:22 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac,Roll Luck.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:39 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
HoneyDog wrote:He turns to Isadora, full of charm. Miss Carmichael, you’ve certainly come to the right place for debate. But please, if it’s not imposing, tell us more about yourself. You’re an artist no doubt. Your accent – you’re British, aren’t you?”
"Let's say I'm a citizen of the world... I was born in India, in a British family, then moved around - lived in Switzerland, then in France. But now I'm settled down in Boston. I'm an artist, a painter. But that's something to look at first, rather then talk about. And you, Mr. Tepper?"

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:36 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora,Roll Luck

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:41 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Luck 65%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:24 pm
by HoneyDog
“Well, I’m a student of medieval philosophy, but lately I find it rather boring, I’m afraid. We patrons of the Desolate Highway have a terrible reputation for all sorts of evils. I can assure you – most of it isn’t true.” Simon winks mischievously.

“I’ve recently become interested in the Theosophical Society. Are you familiar with it?” He sips his wine from its teacup.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:43 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:“Well, I’m a student of medieval philosophy, but lately I find it rather boring, I’m afraid. We patrons of the Desolate Highway have a terrible reputation for all sorts of evils. I can assure you – most of it isn’t true.” Simon winks mischievously.

“I’ve recently become interested in the Theosophical Society. Are you familiar with it?” He sips his wine from its teacup.
Isadora Carmichael

The remark about the sorts of evil (and especially the phrasing and the wink) reminds Isadora about her own youth - such conversations were commonplace in the circles she moved in. Looks like the occult-inclined beau monde is the same in all places and times.

She smiles confidently at the mention of Theosophy.

"As a member of the Boston Lodge of the Society, I might say that I'm familiar with it. It's always a pleasure to meet somebody who's interested in our body knowledge. Unlike many groups, the Theosophical Society is eager to share its knowledge with unaffiliated Seekers - well, part of its knowledge..." she adds, returning the wink.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:15 am
by andyw666
Luck,Balzac's Luck is 65% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Curses!  

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 am
by HoneyDog
”Oh!” exclaims Simon. ”What a pleasant surprise! Perhaps I could persuade you to speak to our circle sometime. What brings you to forsaken Arkham, anyway?”

Meanwhile, Balzac scans the faces for any signs of students he knows. Unfortunately, there don’t seem to be any. He wracks his wine-addled brain for some other idea.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:51 am
by andyw666

Balzac wanders over to the counter to see if the cafe has a spare chess set, or even a deck of cards.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:03 am
by HoneyDog
The cafe has chess sets available, and Balzac is freely provided with one. But can he find a suitable challenger?
Balzac,Roll Luck, or Fast Talk.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:12 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Let's see how this develops before we play our hand."

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Alice, keeping an eye on the proceedings.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 am
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:”Oh!” exclaims Simon. ”What a pleasant surprise! Perhaps I could persuade you to speak to our circle sometime. What brings you to forsaken Arkham, anyway?”
"On the one hand, it's a social visit - meeting up with a couple of friends and a patron of my art. And I wanted to visit the Orne Library, because they hold several manuscripts of Henry Steel Olcott. However, I was told that a death of a student occurred there, and I wasn't able to gain access to the collections. Have you heard about this death? A young man, they say."

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:28 am
by andyw666
Luck,Luck out 65% and Balzac rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Right...  

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:56 pm
by HoneyDog
“Of course!” says Simon, his countenance changing. “I’m trying not to think about it. Poor Frank. But we couldn’t sit around at home, moping. He would have wanted us to enjoy ourselves. Frank was very much about living life.”

Simon looks genuinely upset.

Meanwhile, despite his valiant efforts, Balzac cannot entice anyone to talk to him. Perhaps he has drunk too much wine?

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
HoneyDog wrote:“Of course!” says Simon, his countenance changing. “I’m trying not to think about it. Poor Frank. But we couldn’t sit around at home, moping. He would have wanted us to enjoy ourselves. Frank was very much about living life.”

Simon looks genuinely upset.
"Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that he was a friend of yours. But I agree: there are many forms of grieving, and it is best to remember what you liked about him, your happier times together. I just hope that we are not intruding on this wake."

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:42 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Isadora seems to be getting on well with that fellow. Hopefully she will get something useful out of him. I'm not sure Balzac has been so successful - those ladies just turned their backs on him!"

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:42 pm
by HoneyDog
“I think we’re in shock, to be honest” says Simon. “It’s… well, it’s more bizarre than anything, to be honest. I mean, the attack on that girl, Vittoria Nangelo. Why on earth would Frank do something like that? He really didn’t seem the type.” He shakes his head emphatically.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:46 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Does Vittoria belong to your circle as well?"

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:39 pm
by Starspawn338
HoneyDog wrote:“I think we’re in shock, to be honest” says Simon. “It’s… well, it’s more bizarre than anything, to be honest. I mean, the attack on that girl, Vittoria Nangelo. Why on earth would Frank do something like that? He really didn’t seem the type.” He shakes his head emphatically.
"Wait, Frank attacked Vittoria? Harrison looks shocked. "Are you sure? Were they down here yesterday?"

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:53 am
by HoneyDog
Simon looks bemused.

“Well, that was one story doing the rounds. I also heard that it was that meathead Biff Williams, and he killed Frank. And I heard it was the devil, who Frank had conjured up in some dark magic. So who knows what to believe. I don’t.”

Simon looks around at the occupants of the café.

Frank wasn’t here last night. Just some of the regular crowd. And of course Vittoria wasn’t here. Have you ever seen her here Harrison? From what I’ve heard, she’s not the type to be hanging around people with unusual views. A regular church-goer, that one.”

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Poor Dr. Balzac," says Alice. "He'll find someone one of these days. I just don't think this is the right place for him."

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:30 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"No one's talking to Asenath. Should we go talk to her?"

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:44 pm
by andyw666

Balzac will contentedly sip dodgy wine, smoke Gauloises, and play chess against himself.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:20 am
by Starspawn338
"No, I don't recall seeing Vittoria here before." Harrison shakes his head. "But I'm not here all the time. I still have to do my own studies and can't debate all night every night. He smirks and continues, "Was Asenath here last night?"

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:24 am
by HoneyDog
“I believe she was. But maybe you should ask her yourself.”

Simon raises an eyebrow. “Why all the sudden interest in Asenath?”

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's," says Alice, rising and taking Henry's arm.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:57 am
by HoneyDog
Asenath is sitting quietly by herself, appearing watchful and aloof at the same time. If she is conscious of the looks she often receives from the café’s patrons, she gives no indication of it.

As Alice and Henry approach, Asenath’s head swivels around to watch them. Her ever so slightly bulging eyes are so dark they almost seem black. She has no expression on her face, and offers no words of greeting.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:17 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Excuse me Miss but didn't I see you at one of my book readings? The one for Curse of the Gold Sarcophagus in Boston perhaps?"

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19 am
by HoneyDog
Asenath looks at Henry with utter contempt, and without a word, but with a curious glance at Alice, gets up and moves to another table, where she is welcomed by some other students.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:27 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"That went well. We're about as welcome as Balzac. What now?"

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:24 pm
by andyw666
OOC:   Hey! Balzac didn't get actively sneered at and snubbed!  

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:56 pm
by Starspawn338
HoneyDog wrote:“I believe she was. But maybe you should ask her yourself.”

Simon raises an eyebrow. “Why all the sudden interest in Asenath?”
"Isn't everyone interested in Asenath? I'd ask her myself but I've never actually met her and there's something intimidating about just walking up to her." Harrison pauses and looks plaintively at Simon. "Could you maybe introduce us?"

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:41 am
by HoneyDog
“Feeling brave, eh?” chortles Simon, although he seems a bit nervous. “Sure, it’s probably time you met her. Be warned, though, she’s not afraid to say what she thinks.”

He leads the way over to where Asenath is with some other students.

“Hello, Asenath!” he says loudly, getting her attention. “I’d like to introduce you to some friends. You might have seen Harrison Matthews around the campus. He’s in graduate school too – history. This is his friend Isadora Carmichael, an artist and member of the Theosophical Society. Harrison, Isadora, this is Asenath Derby.”

Asenath regards them both in silence, as if sizing them up. Although beautiful, up close her intensity is a little unnerving.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 am
by andyw666

Balzac commences the chess game against himself with an unorthodox and reckless attack. Caught by surprise, he finds himself losing pieces and frantically shoring up his defences. He grunts, impressed by the tactics and his eyes narrow through French tobacco smoke as he considers a counter-attack...

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, she did seem like she might be interested in me," says Alice. "I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, but maybe I should try talking to her without you. She has the most haunting eyes I've ever seen."

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:22 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Yes, that might be worth a try. I'll go and help Balzac lose to himself at chess."

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:33 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Nice to meet you, Asenath. I'm sorry about Frank Charlton. I've heard he was a friend of yours."

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 pm
by HoneyDog
Asenath nods her head almost imperceptibly.

“Yes, I knew Frank she says in a voice which seems out of place to her appearance. “It’s tragic.” She doesn’t seem particularly upset though.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice walks up to the table. "Hello," she says to Asenath. "I'm Alice Stanton. Would you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:49 pm
by Starspawn338
"Pleased to meet you Asenath." Harrison says with a polite bowing of his head. Then he steps to the side as Alice comes forward.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:55 am
by andyw666

Balzac waves at Henry. "Mon Ami, come join me for a cigarette and some bad wine. You must help me with this chess game. I am proving to be the dangerous and wily opponent, and I am losing at a rate of knots." Cigarettes are shared and "teacups" ordered...

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:31 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry watches with interest as Balzac makes an error with the white Queen but fails to take it with a black Knight.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Asenath ignores Harrison and speaks to Alice directly.

“I know who you are. You work for the University. Why do you want to talk to me?”

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's regarding the untimely demise of Frank Charlton," says Alice. "I'd like to ask you some things about him, please."

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:32 am
by HoneyDog
“And why exactly should I talk to you, Miss Stanton?” replies Asenath with a smirk. She fixes Alice with her strange gaze.

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice returns Asenath's stare and gives her a smile. "Why, because you have absolutely nothing to hide," she says.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:39 am
by HoneyDog
Asenath shakes her head slowly and wags her finger.

“No, whether I have anything to hide or not, which I don’t, is irrelevant. The question is, I repeat, why should I talk to you?”

Asenath’s gaze is more intense now. Her eyes seem to Alice to be filling the room.
Alice,Roll POWx5.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice steels her mind, meeting Asenath's gaze without blinking. "You'll find I'm much more pleasant to speak to than the police," she says.
OOC,POW x 5 roll (65% stat) when [b]Asenath[/b] stares: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:56 am
by HoneyDog
Unfazed by Alice’s resilience, Asenath continues, smiling.

“Ah, but if I was obliged to talk to the police, then you wouldn’t get to hear what I have to say anyway, would you? I already told you, I have nothing to hide. You cannot threaten me with something I don't fear.”

She sips from her cup and shrugs her shoulders. “Quid pro quo, Alice. I can help you, but you and your companions will have to help me.”

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Very well," says Alice. "How is it we can help you?"

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:06 am
by HoneyDog
Asenath smiles grimly.

”In the Contemporary Cultures Hall at the Miskatonic Exhibit Museum is a small display of jewelry from Innsmouth. It includes three bracelets. I want you to bring me one of them, tomorrow evening.”

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Why do you want it?" asks Alice.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:02 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Events have taken an unexpected turn. Isadora stays in the background, and doesn't want to reveal that she is with Alice.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:39 pm
by HoneyDog
“To look at it” replies Asenath. She takes a card from her pocket. “Here is my address. I’ll expect you and your friends tomorrow evening, then?”

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"If all you want is to look at it," says Alice, taking the card, "would a photograph suffice?"

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:00 am
by HoneyDog
”Bring me the bracelet” says Asenath sternly. ”Then we will talk.”

She moves away and joins her peers.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice returns to her friends and fills them in on the conversation. "What do you think we should do?" she asks. "I think she knows something. I mean, we can't burgle the museum or anything like that, but perhaps if we talk to Dr. Bricknell tomorrow, he could arrange for us to borrow one to bring to Asenath. If, as she says, she only wants to look at it, then we can just bring it back when we're done. And if she attempts to keep it, we can involve the police at that point."

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:34 am
by andyw666

Balzac is feeling lubricated by lots of "tea" and stimulated by a bruising game of chess.

"I see no problem in trading some bauble for valuable knowledge. Personally, I would have no problem handing it over permanently if need be. Assuming we wouldn't get into trouble with the University. And also assuming that weird woman wouldn't use it to start raising the dead, as one random example of disaster."

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Jewelry from Innsmouth? Say Alice isn't that chap your cousin Emily is marrying from Innsmouth stock?"

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:54 pm
by Starspawn338
"I wonder why she wants to see just one of the bracelets. Perhaps we should do some research on the jewelry so we have a better understanding of what's she's getting at with this? Harrison shrugs. "There must be a reason she needs to have it with her and not just look at it in the museum."

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I hope not," Alice says to Henry. "I've heard bad things about those Innsmouth folks. There was a big Federal raid there earlier this year, something about bootlegging operations." She nods to Harrison. "Yes, we can go to the museum to look at the bracelets and find out more about them, then do some research in the library if needed, in addition to talking to Dr. Bricknell."

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:25 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Just a word of warning - Asenath is the investigators' [i]only [/i]lead, so be careful how you deal with her. If she decides she doesn't want to talk anymore, the game may be finished for the companions.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:32 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Yes, let's see these bracelets for ourselves. Maybe we can figure out ehy she wants them."

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora retains her "secret identity" (which is her not knowing the other Investigators).
OOC,If possible after the others leave, Isadora (and Harrison, if he's still considered neutral by Asenath's crew) will stick around, and try to gain Asenath's trust in opposition to the pesky University people!

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:41 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Asenath was only interested in talking to Alice because she knew Alice might be useful to her. You could try to get to know her more, but for her to start trusting you its going to take far longer than an evening. The deadline for the bracelet will arrive first.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:45 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
OOC,Okay, then it's better if Isadora just stays out of Asenath's reach.
Isadora hangs around some more with Simon and Harrison. If Simon was present during the conversation about the bracelet, she asks him whether he knows anything about it. "Asenath is indeed a powerful person," she comments. "Strong-willed. Does she often require such tasks?"

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:02 pm
by andyw666

As they make their way outwards, Balzac remarks to Alice, "Did you know, Mlle, that the French invented chess?"

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Simon is a little wide-eyed after witnessing the exchange between Asenath and Alice.

“Er…she just had me streak across campus, to be honest” he says in an awed voice. “Yes, you could say she’s strong-willed.” He seems uncomfortable talking about her.

“Well, it was nice meeting you, Ms. Carmichael. I hope you stop by again sometime.”

He raises his cup in a salute to Harrison and moves away to join another group.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:52 pm
by Starspawn338
"Well that was interesting. I had no idea Asenath was as intense as she looks." Harrison waves as Simon leaves and then shuffles his feet a couple minutes looking around the Cafe.

"I suppose we should leave now too." Harrison says to Isadora.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:06 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora agrees, and she leaves with Harrison. Hopefully, they are able to catch up with the others and discuss their plans.

"Where is the Contemporary Cultures Hall at the Miskatonic Exhibit Museum? Do you have any contacts there? This is all just so strange... Do you think these bracelets have special characteristics? Or any kind of special meaning to Asenath?"

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:32 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"She was also quick to point out precisely that the pieces of jewelry are from Innsmouth. Perhaps she has a connection to that town?" Isadora continues to think out loud.

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:31 pm
by Starspawn338
"I really have no idea. I know I've been through the Museum several times but I don't recall the exhibit she's referring to." Harrison replies. "Perhaps she's just doing it to see how far Alice will go to talk to her...

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I had heard it was the Persians," replies Alice to Balzac. "The term 'check' is derived from the Persian word 'shah,' which means king. 'Checkmate' is the Persian phrase 'shah mat' - the king is dead."