Page 1 of 1

Chapter 1d: Balzac, Harrison, Alice & Isadora

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:29 am
by HoneyDog
As he sits in the waiting room, Harrison sees a rather curious figure approach a nurse outside. He wears a green coat and sports a bowler hat. As the door is open, he hears the figure enquire about the location of Vittoria Nangelo.
Harrison,Roll Know about this man.
Balzac,What will you tell the nurse?

Re: Chapter 1d: Balzac & Harrison

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:55 pm
by Starspawn338
Knowledge roll,Knowledge 85 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:01 pm
by HoneyDog
Harrison,[b] Harrison[/b] recognizes the man from around the campus – he is [b]Dr. Henri Balzac,[/b] one of the lecturers from the School of Medicine.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:52 am
by andyw666

Balzac politely raises his hat to the nurse. "Bonjour Mlle, I am Dr Balzac from the Miskatonic Medical School. I was hoping for just a minute with the young lady, Vittoria, to pass on the University's best wishes, and perhaps to see if there is any medical insight I can provide into her condition."

"I have just been meeting with Dr Lodge, who has described her condition to me. Most tragic."

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 am
by HoneyDog
“Oh!” says the nurse. “Yes, Dr. Balzac. You can see her, but she hasn’t been responsive. Please try not to disturb her if you can”.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 am
by andyw666

Balzac nods in solemn agreement. "Of course Mlle, I shall be most discreet." He heads into Vittoria's room.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:14 pm
by Starspawn338
Harrison heads over to Vittoria's room to intercept Dr. Balzac. "Dr. Balzac... Dr. Balzac. I'm a friend of Vittoria and Frank. Are you treating her?" He pauses before he continues, "I just can't believe the rumors about what happened."

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:58 am
by andyw666

Balzac pauses to talk to Harrison. "Oui Monsieur, I was planning on visiting the young lady but I am not her treating physician. May I ask your name?"

"And may I ask how well you know the young lady and the late M. Frank Charleton? Do you have any idea what happened to them both? Any information may assist treating this poor girl, you know."

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:35 pm
by Starspawn338
andyw666 wrote: "Oui Monsieur, I was planning on visiting the young lady but I am not her treating physician. May I ask your name?"

"And may I ask how well you know the young lady and the late M. Frank Charleton? Do you have any idea what happened to them both? Any information may assist treating this poor girl, you know."
"My name is Harrison Matthews. As I said, I am friends with Vittoria and Frank, although not a close friend. I certainly understand that any information would be welcome but I must admit that I am in the dark about what could have caused this. I was just visiting Vittoria and she was completely unresponsive. You can see for yourself."

Harrison shakes his head slowly. "I just want to help in any way I can. I was going to go to the the Desolate Highway Cafe when it opens a bit later this afternoon as I know that they and their friends hang out there. Would you like to accompany me? Perhaps between the two of us, we could find someone with information willing to talk."

Re: Chapter 1d: Balzac, Harrison, Alice & Isadora

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:58 am
by HoneyDog
At that moment, Alice and Isadora enter the scene, looking for Vittoria Nangelo’s room.

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dr. Balzac!" says Alice, brightening when she sees him. "Fancy meeting you here."

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:25 am
by andyw666

Balzac's face lights up with genuine pleasure. "Quelle surprise! Mes amis, it is the great pleasure to see you both!" He envelopes both Alice and Isadora in a bear hug and there is kissing of about four cheeks.

"And how is M. Henri, well I trust?"

"But are you here for the same reason as me, this tragedy of the young man dead and the young lady here, Vittoria? Mlle Alice, I actually just left a message for you to call me regarding this. I was about to pay a visit on the young lady when this young man approached me, who apparently knew them both. This is M. Harrison Matthews."

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:22 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Dr. Balzac!" Isadora returns Balzac's hearty welcome, then launches into a lengthy French greeting. She then quickly switches back to English.

"Hello, Mr. Harrison. It's a pity to meet under such circumstances... But perhaps we can work together to shed some light on this terrible event. Is Vittoria available for visits? Alice and I would like to check in on her."

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we're investigating the tragedy too, on behalf of the University," says Alice. "It would be good to work with you again, and your medical expertise may prove very useful. Pleased to meet you, Mr. Matthews."

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:39 pm
by Starspawn338
Harrison bows slightly to the two women. "I am likewise pleased to meet you both. Doctor's orders are that Vittoria is not to be disturbed but the kind nurse did let me go see her briefly. She was not responsive to any thing I said or did in the room." He pauses a moment, pondering what to say. "As I was telling Dr. Balzac, they and their friends hang out at the Desolate Highway Cafe and I was going to stop by there after it opens at 4:30 to see if I could find out any information from their other friends about what they might have been doing yesterday."

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe Vittoria will be more responsive to women," says Alice. "It's worth a try, if they'll allow it. We can also try to find out about the results of Charlton's autopsy, presuming it was conducted here."

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:09 pm
by andyw666

Balzac looks impressed. "Why am I not surprised to find you both already investigating this matter."

"As you know, I am always on the lookout for these events that may provide insight into this hidden world we keep catching glimpses of. Although, I have not decided if this current tragedy is such a case. It is certainly unusual."

"And, Mlle Alice, I can tell you all about the autopsy report. I have just come from speaking with Dr Lodge, the coroner. But we might discuss that elsewhere."

"Shall we pay a quick visit on this young lady now?"

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:11 am
by HoneyDog
The companions enter Vittoria’s darkened room. As on Harrison’s earlier visit, Vittoria lays on the bed, her eyes fixed on the ceiling. She doesn’t seem to have moved and doesn’t appear to have registered their entry.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice walks up to the bed and takes hold of Vittoria's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Vittoria, my name is Alice Stanton," she says. "I'd like to talk to you, please."

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:44 am
by HoneyDog
Vittoria makes absolutely no reaction. She continues to stare at the ceiling.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:03 am
by andyw666

Balzac runs through the classic routine of doctorly checks, pulse at her wrist timed by his pocket watch, temperature taken using the back of his hand on her forehead, peel open an eye etc.
OOC,Can Balzac make a Medicine roll?

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:12 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,She’s already been diagnosed, it’s psychological caused by shock; there’s nothing physically wrong with her.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:27 am
by andyw666

Balzac nods with authority. "It is as I feared. There is nothing physically wrong with the young lady, her problems are psychological."

"I wonder if she has suffered the great shock perhaps?"

OOC,Any medical charts or whatnot to read in the room?
OOC:   Hey, Balzac is always happy to take the credit!  

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:38 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No. She’s just expected to rest for now. And be relatively undisturbed, so it’s best not to hangout too long.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:42 am
by andyw666

Balzac caste a quick professional eye about the room, looking for anything interesting, flowers left by family of friends, and the like.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:58 am
by HoneyDog
The room is bare, Vittoria was only admitted that morning for observation.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:34 am
by andyw666

Balzac turns to the others. "I cannot help this young lady, at least not without further information. Shall we take a turn out in the fresh air and catch up on news?"

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, she must have endured a very traumatic experience," says Alice. "Were I an alienist, I might be able to help her better. I feel like I can almost get through to her, but she's resisting. I suppose we'd better step outside."
OOC,Psychology roll (62% skill) about [b]Vittoria[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Psychoanalysis roll (1% base skill) to help [b]Vittoria[/b]: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:54 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Would Isadora like to try anything?

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:07 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Psychology 21%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora tries to remember her own catatonic experiences... and the things that she could feel or understand while in shock.

But these thoughts lead down a terrible road instead!

OOC,Uh........ :cry: :roll:

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:11 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora is reminded of some terrible thoughts from her past that she has tried to suppress for many years.
Isadora,Lose 1 SAN! But you can roll Psychoanalysis. Last attempt.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Psychoanalysis 36%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora is too shocked by her recollections to be of any assistance...

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:49 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'm guessing everyone leaves the room now to discuss things outside? If anyone wants to quickly try something else, you can always pop back in.
Making no progress with Vittoria, the investigators leave the room to discuss what they know.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:36 am
by Starspawn338
Harrison watches as each of the others attempts to get some reaction out of Vittoria as he himself did earlier. He is slightly emboldened to feel as if perhaps he does belong in this group of people who are quite obviously versed in the world of the unseen and unknown.

After leaving the room, he gets up the courage to speak to the others. "Did you know there are rumors going around that Vittoria and Frank were experimenting with black magic?"

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 am
by HoneyDog
Harrison,Nobody said anything about Vittoria and black magic. It's not even been said that they knew each other. But if this is an intentional or accidental error on the part of Harrison, go with it.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, this is the first I've heard of it," says Alice. "Who is Frank?"

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:56 am
by HoneyDog
Alice,Frank is Frank Charlton, the dead student.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:19 am
by Starspawn338
Keeper,I am making an assumption that Vittoria and Frank are connected in this matter as it would be too coincidental to think these two incidents are unrelated. I'm repeating what I heard about Frank and tying in Vittoria in an attempt to be dramatic which I hope will influence the others that there might be value in letting me come with them when they investigate.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:31 am
by HoneyDog
Starspawn338,Sure, play it however you want. Keep up the good work!

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:28 am
by andyw666

Balzac gives Harrison a somewhat judgemental look.

"Where was this cafe that you believed the students would frequent?"

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:35 pm
by Starspawn338
"The Desolate Highway Cafe." Harrison answers. "It opens at 4:30 but it may take a bit before the students gather. They don't exactly wait outside for it to open."

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can head there once it's open, then," says Alice. "We'll have to eat dinner anyway. What did you learn from the autopsy results?"

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 am
by andyw666

Balzac nods. "One second Mlle, but before we get to that, I'm just interested in what M. Matthews here has to say."

"So, Monsieur, what do you know about the young man and woman being involved in black magic, whatever that may be? And how did you come to know about it?"

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:16 pm
by Starspawn338
Balzac nods. "One second Mlle, but before we get to that, I'm just interested in what M. Matthews here has to say."

"So, Monsieur, what do you know about the young man and woman being involved in black magic, whatever that may be? And how did you come to know about it?"
"I know Frank more than Vittoria having had some spirited discussions with him in the past. The "black magic" is just rumors I've heard from other students. I don't know if it is true. Some even go so far as to say satanic rituals but I would highly doubt that he was involved with that.

Harrison pauses and absentmindedly raises his index finger to smooth his mustache. "However, I wouldn't discount the black magic rumor out of hand as there have been some undercurrents of magical or paranormal experimentation here at the University."

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:15 am
by andyw666

Balzac's bushy eyebrows raise. "Quelle surprise. And which students, which faculties are involved in this dabbling in black magic or paranormal experimentation that you have heard rumours of?"

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:36 am
by Starspawn338
Harrison shrugs. "I'm sure all of you wouldn't be here checking in on Vittoria if you didn't at least suspect that there were things going on here at the University that would make truth of the rumors."

Harrison pauses and clears his throat. Making eye contact with Dr. Balzak , he continues, "I'm interested in facts and not rumors which is why I am here. Do you have a working theory better than black magic?"

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"While there may be more to this than meets the eye," says Alice, "I know hardly anything about it yet. I haven't seen anything to indicate black magic as the cause so far. Of course, Dr. Balzac probably knows more than I do about it, so we'll hear what he has to say."

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:26 am
by andyw666

Balzac studies Harrison with dispassionate scientific interest.

"M. Matthews, I think you are mistaken. The dead young man and traumatised young woman are a mystery, a matter for the University to be concerned about, and possibly a crime. They are hardly proof of the other-worldly, however."

"And I think you will find that we are here because of the University's concern. As a doctor and scientist, I am only interested in hypothesising from the observable facts. Having said that, if students are dabbling in what they perceive as the occult, and in the process getting hurt or killed through misadventure, we would very much like to put a stop to that."

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:50 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora listens to the conversation unfold. Oh, she knows a thing or two about university students dabbling in black magic. She feels that a decade ago she would have fitted quite well into The Desolate Highway Cafe gang...

"Dr. Balzac is right: there is a evident danger, and we must learn more about what's already done, so, perhaps, we can stops what is about to happen."

"Let's visit this Cafe, then. However, I think it is better if we split up, go in two separate groups, maybe. To draw less attention. Mr. Matthews, have you been to this establishment before? Would the frequent visitors, the other students, recognize you?"

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:05 pm
by HoneyDog
Starspawn338,As I said before, Harrison will be familiar with that crowd, but is not a regular, and is certainly not involved in any unsavoury activities. So there is a good chance that he will know someone there who he can perhaps press for further information.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:29 pm
by Starspawn338
evil_scientist wrote:Isadora Carmichael

"Dr. Balzac is right: there is a evident danger, and we must learn more about what's already done, so, perhaps, we can stops what is about to happen."

"Let's visit this Cafe, then. However, I think it is better if we split up, go in two separate groups, maybe. To draw less attention. Mr. Matthews, have you been to this establishment before? Would the frequent visitors, the other students, recognize you?"
"Yes, I've been there several times. I was going to go do some investigating on my own before I met up with the good Doctor here and then you two ladies as well." Harrison confirms.

"Perhaps it would be best if you and I went first," he continues, gesturing to Isadora, "as the other two are known to work for the University and the students might not offer as much candid information if they suspect it will go to the authorities."

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:03 pm
by evil_scientist
Starspawn338 wrote:"Perhaps it would be best if you and I went first," he continues, gesturing to Isadora, "as the other two are known to work for the University and the students might not offer as much candid information if they suspect it will go to the authorities."
"Yes, I agree. And I feel I might strike a chord with the students, if they are anything like the bohemian occultists of the Quartier Latin..."

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:04 am
by andyw666

Balzac holds up a hand. "Before we go, let me summarise what the coroner told me. This is in strictest confidence though, please tell no-one else."

He ticks facts off using the fingers of his left hand.

"The young man's death occurred at approximately 2 a.m. on Sunday February 24th. The cause of death was suffocation. The coroner found a small puncture-mark on the inside of the deceased's left wrist, consistent with the size and placement of a hypodermic. It appeared to have been carried out post-mortem as there was no bruising or bleeding evident.”

“The corpse showed post-mortem lividity, indicating that the body lay face-up for some hours after death. Lastly, there were several abrasions and three spinal fractures, which accurred approximately 18 hours after death, presumably caused by a fall.”

"Consistent with the young man's body falling from the library roof to the steps below. And the door to the roof had been forced open."

"Yet Vittoria positively identified Charlton as the one who attacked her. Not long before his body fell from the library roof. At which point he'd been dead 18 hours."

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"She identified him?" asks Alice. "But she wasn't responsive at all."

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 am
by andyw666

"I do not know the specifics, Mile. The coroner reported to me what he knew and he was not treating the young lady. One of the investigating police, her doctor, or her family might be able to answer that question. I agree with your point though, she is unresponsive now. So there must have been some point when she was able to convey that information."

"Perhaps the shock of learning the man who attacked her had already been dead for 18 hours is what has made her so catatonic?"

"And as an alternative plan, Mile Alice and I might go and have a look at the library roof while you other two go to this cafe? Unless we all have time now?"

Time,What is the time? Is there time for everyone to inspect the roof?

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It’s about 3.45. There’s plenty of time if you want to go to see the roof, if that’s what everyone wants to do.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:18 am
by andyw666

Balzac consults his pocket watch. "There is plenty of time. Let us have a look at this roof! Rapide!"

He encourages the others in the right direction.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's go," says Alice, following Dr. Balzac to the roof.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:34 am
by Starspawn338
"If they will let us look. Don't the police have the area cordoned off?" Harrison follows after Dr. Balzac. "I guess we'll see."