Chapter 3: Asenath

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 3: Asenath

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Luck 65

[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Ehh... :roll:
Looks like Isadora is not trendy with the younger crowds...

"It's a pleasure to meet you all," she says. "I like this place... Reminds me of Paris, and not just because of the food."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

“I’m afraid not, Miss Carmichael says Simon apologetically. “But it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m more of a literature than an art fan, you see. How do you know Matthews here? I didn’t know he had many interests outside of his books.” Tepper seems like a pleasant enough young man.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He's a literature fan," says Alice to Henry. "Let's go talk to him. I'm sure he'd like to hear about your books."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac wipes icing sugar off his face, lights up a Gauloises, and wanders over to the counter to see if he can order a couple of bottles of wine. He mentions that he is here with M. Harrison Matthews, by way of recommendation.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The counterman frowns. “I know young Matthews. But this isn’t Paris, friend. Haven’t you heard of prohibition? Wine comes in teacups, not bottles.”

He shakes his head at the ignorance of foreigners as he sees about getting Balzac a drink.
OOC,You're being a bit optimistic! Remember what year it is.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Starspawn338 »

HoneyDog wrote:"I didn’t know he had many interests outside of his books.”
"Hey now Simon. I enjoy philosophical debates as well as the next man...." Harrison pauses and looks towards Asenath before he continues. "Or woman."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"That is true, indeed," Isadora attests. "We were in the middle of a philosophical debate, concerning the nature of the soul, the possibilities of reincarnation..."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,Balzac is well aware of the existence of prohibition, he's just optimistic, and more to the point, trying to look cosmopolitan for the Bohemian crowd (not very well, perhaps).

Balzac arches an eyebrow. "Merci, Monsieur. You are too kind."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Simon registers Harrison’s look at Asenath with wry amusement.

“Don’t tell me you’re getting a thing for our Asenath now, are you? Tsk tsk, Mr. Matthews he smirks. “You know she’s married, don’t you?”

He turns to Isadora, full of charm. Miss Carmichael, you’ve certainly come to the right place for debate. But please, if it’s not imposing, tell us more about yourself. You’re an artist no doubt. Your accent – you’re British, aren’t you?”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac casts an eye about the room, looking to see if he recognises any of the student crowd or at least if there is anyone who looks remotely approachable.
OOC,Nothing ventured. Balzac will wander about a bit, trying to strike up a conversation with any students. He's happy to share good French cigarettes and buy tea cups of dodgy wine of questionable heritage if it helps. Fortunately, this is the 1920s and faculty did not yet get fired for this kind of dodgy behaviour...
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Balzac,Roll Luck.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
HoneyDog wrote:He turns to Isadora, full of charm. Miss Carmichael, you’ve certainly come to the right place for debate. But please, if it’s not imposing, tell us more about yourself. You’re an artist no doubt. Your accent – you’re British, aren’t you?”
"Let's say I'm a citizen of the world... I was born in India, in a British family, then moved around - lived in Switzerland, then in France. But now I'm settled down in Boston. I'm an artist, a painter. But that's something to look at first, rather then talk about. And you, Mr. Tepper?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora,Roll Luck
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Luck 65%

[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Well, I’m a student of medieval philosophy, but lately I find it rather boring, I’m afraid. We patrons of the Desolate Highway have a terrible reputation for all sorts of evils. I can assure you – most of it isn’t true.” Simon winks mischievously.

“I’ve recently become interested in the Theosophical Society. Are you familiar with it?” He sips his wine from its teacup.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:“Well, I’m a student of medieval philosophy, but lately I find it rather boring, I’m afraid. We patrons of the Desolate Highway have a terrible reputation for all sorts of evils. I can assure you – most of it isn’t true.” Simon winks mischievously.

“I’ve recently become interested in the Theosophical Society. Are you familiar with it?” He sips his wine from its teacup.
Isadora Carmichael

The remark about the sorts of evil (and especially the phrasing and the wink) reminds Isadora about her own youth - such conversations were commonplace in the circles she moved in. Looks like the occult-inclined beau monde is the same in all places and times.

She smiles confidently at the mention of Theosophy.

"As a member of the Boston Lodge of the Society, I might say that I'm familiar with it. It's always a pleasure to meet somebody who's interested in our body knowledge. Unlike many groups, the Theosophical Society is eager to share its knowledge with unaffiliated Seekers - well, part of its knowledge..." she adds, returning the wink.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Luck,Balzac's Luck is 65% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Curses!  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

”Oh!” exclaims Simon. ”What a pleasant surprise! Perhaps I could persuade you to speak to our circle sometime. What brings you to forsaken Arkham, anyway?”

Meanwhile, Balzac scans the faces for any signs of students he knows. Unfortunately, there don’t seem to be any. He wracks his wine-addled brain for some other idea.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac wanders over to the counter to see if the cafe has a spare chess set, or even a deck of cards.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The cafe has chess sets available, and Balzac is freely provided with one. But can he find a suitable challenger?
Balzac,Roll Luck, or Fast Talk.

Return to “A Little Knowledge”