Chapter 3: Asenath

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 3: Asenath

Post by HoneyDog »

5.30 pm

The investigators leave Biff to his own devices and head to the Desolate Highway Cafe on West Armitage Street. By the time they arrive, the cafe has been open for an hour, but it is still fairly quiet. There are a couple of older men playing chess, and a few younger people scattered around. The café is known for its tasty French country-style cooking. They will serve wine, but only if they know you. Luckily, Harrison has been here a few times and can help if the investigators have developed a thirst.

As yet, there is no sign of Asenath Derby, or any of her crowd.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3: Asenath

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We need to eat dinner anyway," says Alice, "so we might as well order. We'll see if they show up while we're eating."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"It's as if you read my mind." Harrison replies. "The bohemians will probably come late and stay later."

He sits at one of the larger tables and opens the menu. "It's been so cold, I think I could go for a bit of stew."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

"Mon Dieu! French inspired New England country baking. Why have I not been here before? Time to let the belt out a notch."

In short order, Balzac has ordered coffee and enough bakery goods to satisfy three ordinary people. He settles down to sample.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions partake of the hearty and filling food, which is quite delicious. As they eat and talk, getting to know a little more about Harrison, the café slowly begins to fill with customers, many of whom are obviously students, but there are several older people too. A lot of the talk which can be heard centers around the tragic events of that day. They are also able to learn from Harrison and the surrounding gossip that the bohemians are something of an infamous group, although this is not always fairly warranted. Rumours of debauchery surround them, although this must be tempered with the fact that Arkham is quite a conservative town. Luckily, Harrison is free of such associations.

At around 8pm several students enter. With them is an unusual but striking young woman. Her bearing is different to the students around her; she seems somehow more mature but cynical. Her hair is dark and lustrous, and her skin ivory white. She is tall, slender and graceful, clad in dark colours. If she has any flaw, it might be noted that her eyes seem slightly protuberant. She stands out among the other café denizens.
Harrison,This is[b] Asenath[/b]. You know that she will not be easy to approach.
andyw666,I just switched the posts around for narrative flow.
As the bohemians arrive, Isadora and Harrison hurriedly begin to move to a new table.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,I think our plan was to sit in two separate groups, so that we don't crowd or scare the bohemians. Isadora, Balzac and Harrison in group one (for first contact), Henry and Alice in group two (because they might know that Alice works for the university). Or should we ditch this plan?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I've edited the above post to account for your plan.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is in her element. This café, the French food, the vibe, it all reminds her of her years in Paris. And when Asenath enters, she understands, why so many people are drawn to this unusual woman. Asenath's striking visage captivates her too.

She carries on a casual conversation with Harrison (asking whether he knows anybody else of Asenath's circle), but occasionally glances towards Asenath and her company. She doesn't try to be sneaky about this.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harrison,Harrison spots one of the crowd whom he knows – Simon Tepper, a senior in the History department. Simon is a regular at the cafe, and is one of the bohemian set. They have discussed philosophy and history together, and are friendly, but not completely friends.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry chats to Alice about her cousin Emily's wedding but keeps an eye on Asenath.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"I'm an artist, a painter, from Boston. Isadora Carmichael. They might know me. They might not. But when the chance presents itself, let's try to walk up to them, maybe introduce me as well," she schemes with Harrison.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry suddenly says to Alice:

"Say, perhaps that bohemian set would like to meet me? I am getting to be a quite well known author after all."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC:    
Last edited by andyw666 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

andyw666,Sorry Andy but the companions have split up according to their earlier plans. Isadora and Harrison have moved away. Can you edit your post?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Sorry,Crap, I was under the impression the plan was Balzac was at the table with Isadora and Harrison. My bad but easy fixed. And I liked that post too! Oh well.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Sorry,Sorry Andy. You could adjust it to say that Balzac stopped at their table. To be honest, I think splitting up will probably mean that some of you are less able to participate in questioning than others as only Harrison knows anyone here, but its up to you guys. At least, if you try to mingle with the students, you might be able to strike up some conversations, you have some good ideas so far.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's a good idea," says Alice. "Your books would probably be right up their alley. Should we wait to see how Isadora gets on with them first?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Don't wait for Harrison or Isadora. Just go ahead and approach some students. With a convincing story and a suitable roll (Luck, Fast Talk, Persuade) you'll at least get a conversation going.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Harrison notices the group come in and says to Isadora, "That's Asenath in the middle there. I recognize an acquaintance too, Simon Tepper. Let's go over there. You said you were a painter?"

Harrison gets up from his chair and walks over towards Simon. As he gets closer, he raises his hand in greeting. "Hey Simon. I thought that was you. Let me introduce a friend of mine, Isadora Carmichael." He continues loudly enough for the others in the group to hear. "She's a artist from Boston and quite interesting. I don't suppose you're familiar with her work?"
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Isadora,Roll Luck.

Return to “A Little Knowledge”