The Common Room

The strange death of a student on the Miskatonic University campus involves the investigators again in a chain of horrific events. What is the link with the bizarre experiments conducted by the notorious Herbert West?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

The Common Room

Post by HoneyDog »

This is an area for OOC chat.

Welcome to the game! We'll begin as soon as the characters are ready.

To speed things up, shall we have Isadora visiting Alice in Arkham when the adventure begins? Isadora will need to decide if she wants to bring anything in particular with her.

Please welcome Starspawn338 who will join us for this game.

One other point, mainly for those of you whose characters study or work at Miskatonic - you must be aware that any action which might be considered reckless, strange or inappropriate could have a severe impact on your standing in the university community, even if it isn't necessarily illegal. So be careful!
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Re: The Common Room

Post by innsmouth »

How much time has passed since the last adventure?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

We'll begin in late February, so 3 months. I believe American universities are open then; please correct me if I'm wrong.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Hi Team! Balzac is back and ready for Arkham's finest food, coffee, and Cthulhoid menace over a Gauloises cigarette.

Andy
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Starspawn338 »

Thanks for letting me join you all. Let me know if there is anything about my character that I should change to fit in better with what's been going on.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Your character looks fine Starspawn.

Why don't you all just give us a little detail about what your character is doing now or since the events of the last adventure to give us some context, and then I will start the mystery. Alice will again be approached as she has become the University's go-to person for looking into odd occurrences, and she can assemble her friends. Harrison will have to come up with his own reason to investigate, and either find some way to join the companions (their paths will no doubt cross at some point) or investigate independently. I might keep his thread separate at first, as he might have knowledge that the others wouldn't, being a student and all.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Henri Balzac's career had not been progressing well of late. His recent bizarre experiences have convinced him that there is a hidden world of new science waiting to be discovered and utilised for the good of humanity. And a Nobel in it for someone worthy. The available evidence has all been found in New England and so the Montreal based academic had been spending a great deal of time away from his workplace.

Further, Balzac's colleagues have become very concerned by his increasingly erratic behaviour and strange research. Finally, Balzac has been involved in a few embarrassing and quickly hushed up arrests in Boston, in houses of ill - if not strange - repute. Despite his claims that this was where his admittedly dark research was taking him, Montreal U was having none of it and Balzac was quietly given his marching papers.

Fortunately, he has a number of friends and colleagues at Miskatonic who are still sufficiently enamoured by his skills that they are willing to overlook his eccentricities. For now. A position was found for him in the Medical School.

Balzac quietly dreams of a world where invisible beasts can be summoned to draw your carriage (or lay waste your enemies) and the dead can be brought back to life...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice has been very busy, both at work and with helping prepare for Emily's wedding. What free time she has, she has been spending with Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora had to catch up with her art projects, including the selection and annotation of her pictures for photographic reproduction in a gallery catalog.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry has just delivered his manuscript for The Music of Dr Cazlab to his publisher in Boston and is waiting to hear their thoughts on publication. He has been helping Alice prepare for her cousin Emily's wedding in April which is due to be quite a grand affair. He has used some savings to purchase a sapphire ring and hidden it in a drawer in his Arkham lodgings. He still hasn't deciphered the writing on the postcard he received from Balzac in the autumn.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Since I'm a student and haven't felt the passage of time, having not been involved in any grand adventures to this point, I'll just be living the life of a grad student.

I will also try to listen to the various rumors about what happened to poor Albert and find out any information about the people who brought him back.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Monday February 25, 1929

The bright and sunny winter’s morning finds the usually serene campus of Miskatonic University abuzz with rumour and gossip, tinged with shock and horror. A body was found in the early hours, laying across the steps of the Orne Library. Frank Charlton was an undergraduate in philosophy, with a particular interest in medieval metaphysics. Nobody had seen him for almost 24 hours previously, and worried friends were considering making a police report. Various rumours abound concerning his fate, with both suicide and murder the most common. Police are witnessed on campus, and the library is closed for the day while the investigation of the scene is conducted.

Later in the morning, another rumour surfaces. Gossip has it that a female student, Vittoria Nangelo, was attacked last night. She hasn’t been seen in classes, and friends making enquiries about her were told that she is undergoing hospital treatment, but no more details are known.
OOC:   I will divide up the threads until you all come together.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alice and Isadora can now join thread 1d. I’ll set up Henry’s later.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

We'll move to Chapter 2 now.

Innsmouth - sorry for the long delay, but Henry is back in the action! Let's get Henry stuck in - show them who's boss.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

@Mr Handy - Good answer!
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

HD - think I might need a break from gaming. I'd be grateful if you could NPC Balzac. Ta. - Andy
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

That's unfortunate! But also, a break can be healthy.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Sorry about the slow pace. When Mr. Handy returns, Henry, Alice, Isadora and Harrison can think about what to do next about Asenath's requirement. Balzac had a telegram about a sick relative so he'll have to return to Canada. Make a plan and I'll start a new thread.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora's plan: first we should go an take a look at the museum and the bracelets, just as casual visitors.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

I agree with Isadora. Let's go to the museum and look at the bracelets and see what's written about them in the display and then do some research on them to see what we can find out.

Return to “A Little Knowledge”