Chapter 5: Into the Void (Ray, Nat, Julie)

1976, South California
The Sandoval couple is worried sick: their daughter, Elizabeth, ran off and joined a cult, the Temple of Concordance. They had no contact with her until recently, when she called them, clearly in a state of distress. The call ended abruptly, without any answer from Elizabeth about her status. The police checked up on the Temple, but found everything to be in order: Elizabeth is 21, practicing her right to worship as she wishes. The Sandovals decide to take matters into their own hands...

Moderator: evil_scientist

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 5: Into the Void (Ray, Nat, Julie)

Post by evil_scientist »

Three of the Investigators, Ray, Nat and Julie, are reunited. They now stand near the entrance of the hangar...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Chapter 5: Into the Void (Ray, Nat, Julie)

Post by evil_scientist »

Inside, the chanting continues. With each cycle of the mantra, the humming of the congregation becomes louder. Ray recognizes this as a sort of trance-inducing technique. The voices are in very near unison, so it's hard to judge the number of people involved. Ray's estimate is more than five, but less than ten people.

The lead voice (Cavendish), which was reciting the Bible verse, slowly starts breaking up. The words are still there, but sometimes the syllables are garbled, or replaced by strange guttural noises.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Nat creeps over to Julie and waves a 'hi'. His teeth gleam momentarily as he smiles. He points at her bosum where the mic is, points to himself and towards Ray and gives a thumbs up that he hopes she can see. Then he motions towards where Ray went and creeps over to the hanger door to peer in even though the voices are giving him the creeps.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Nat takes a peak inside. Heavy curtains close off the space a few steps after the entrance. They are hanging from rod suspended halfway in the space of the hangar. Above the curtains, it's open. There is a weak light source (a lamp?) somewhere between the curtains and the main facade of the hangar. On the other side of the curtains, where the congregation is gathered, there are some other light sources, giving off flickering light (like candles or torches).

The curtains are covered with dense "oriental" patterns: a cross between a psychedelic head shop and the temple of some kind of an exotic religion. As the humming and chanting intensifies and the curtains slightly move, the patterns seem to dance in front of Nat's eyes.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Julie smiles back and nods, listening while keeping an eye out to make sure nobody is walking around who might see them here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Nat pulls his eyes away from the maelstrom, and whispers to the others. "We can't help Elizabeth right now but we might be able to get some rock samples and then get out of here; come back tomorrow to extract Elizabeth. Unless you think it's urgent we do it tonight? Jules, is she being initiated tonight or anything - you know, the point of no return?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Not that I know of," whispers Julie with a shrug. "For all I know they do this sort of thing every night."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Cotton »

"I think getting a sample of that rock for someone to analyze is important," Ray whispers. "We could very possibly get them kicked off this land, maybe get Cavendish arrested for keeping that girl you saw from getting the medical attention she needs. I think that Julie and I should go in for a better look. We'll see about getting a sample, and if someone hears us she can pretend like she just got curious and wandered over. Nat I want you to stay behind and be lookout, same signal as before. Sound like a plan?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Nat thumbs up and positions himself for the best vantage point across the compound.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Julie nods silently and follows Ray.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Ray creeps in for a closer look.
Spoiler:
stealth 60%
[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Julie follows Ray from a decent distance back, so that if anyone does happen upon them, it will not look like they are together.
OOC,Stealth roll (40% skill) following [b]Ray[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Ray slowly and carefully opens the hangar's door.

Inside, it's hot, like in the desert during daytime, but, unlike the desert, it's also humid.

The hangar only has walls, but not a floor or foundation: the floor of this area is the same dirt as the courtyard.

A row of colorful, densely patterned curtains divides the hangar into two parts, creating a sort of a narrow antechamber. They are hanging from rod suspended halfway in the space of the hangar. Above the curtains, it's open.
A single lamp is standing in the left corner of the antechamber. It's on, giving some light.

On the other side of the curtains, where the congregation is gathered, there are some other light sources, giving off flickering light (like candles or torches).

Julie follows Ray inside. She makes some noise, but hopefully it's not audible over the voices in the hangar. As the antechamber is quite narrow, she cannot really make it look like she doesn't belong with Ray.

The chanting behind the curtain intensifies. The congregation hums as a single entity. They must have trained a lot to achieve such a unity. Cavendish is now speaking in tongues... All words and distinctive phrases from the original passage are replaced by weird gutturals, clicks, growls and throaty noises. The uncanny syllables are reflected from the arched ceiling of the hangar, and amplified.

The air and ground vibrate. The curtains slightly wave, and their patterns seem to pulsate.
Attachments
Hangar.png
Hangar.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Julie feels a sudden shiver of fear. She looks at Ray, prepared to follow his lead.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Nat sniffs the night air; at least it's fresher than what it must be like in the hanger. Those curtains gave him the creeps.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Ray registers that either he or Julie made some small sound while entering the hanger, but he is too enraptured by the sudden increase of intensity in the chanting before him. He slowly reaches for the curtains before him, and, ever so slightly, he moves them aside just enough so that he can see what is happening beyond.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Ray parts the curtains...
Ray,...and looks behind. A pool of blackness covers the ground... Like a tar pit... But its surface is completely smooth, undisturbed. The split rock, glowing with an otherworldly black light, stands erect in the very middle. The dark substance seems to flow out of its crevice. Cavendish stands before the rock, with his back to Ray. His palms (fingers extended), are laying on the surface of the massive boulder. His whole body shakes as he chants - no, shouts! - the garbled syllables into the crevice. The members of the Temple are scattered around the rock. Some are kneeling, some have fallen forward and now lay there, half-submerged in the blackness. Those still above the surface carry on the chant and the humming. Only the whites of their eyes show. --- Roll [b]Sanity (1d2/1d8)[/b]! If the Sanity roll [i]succeeds[/i], also roll a [b]Spot Hidden[/b]! --- [attachment=0]Hangar pool.png[/attachment] ---
Attachments
Hangar pool.png
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Julie stands tense, not daring to look herself, waiting to see how Ray reacts.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Ray simply doesn't understand what he's seeing. He moves back from the curtain, and tries to make sense of what he saw.
Spoiler:
Sanity: 70%
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
Spot Hidden: 25%
[dice]2[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Julie shrugs and looks at Ray, as if asking him what they should do now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “On the Precipice”