Chapter 5: Into the Void (Ray, Nat, Julie)

1976, South California
The Sandoval couple is worried sick: their daughter, Elizabeth, ran off and joined a cult, the Temple of Concordance. They had no contact with her until recently, when she called them, clearly in a state of distress. The call ended abruptly, without any answer from Elizabeth about her status. The police checked up on the Temple, but found everything to be in order: Elizabeth is 21, practicing her right to worship as she wishes. The Sandovals decide to take matters into their own hands...

Moderator: evil_scientist

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 5: Into the Void (Ray, Nat, Julie)

Post by evil_scientist »

Ray gives Julie a bewildered, glassy-eyed stare. He is trying to process something... It takes him a good 10 seconds to finally gather himself and be able to speak or act.

The incomprehensible chanting on the other side of the curtain continues.

There is also a weird smell: like hot tar, heavy and acrid, but utterly alien.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Nat takes a peek through the hanger doors, "You guys okay?" He whispers, into the dark. "What's that weird smell?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Julie shrugs again. "I'm fine," she whispers. "It smells like hot tar, but it's different."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Cotton »

Ray shakes his head and points back at the spot he had had Nat wait at before, and makes a "follow me" motion as he moves over there. Once away from the barn (assuming the other two follow him) he whispers, "We... The rock is a no go, and Julie you can't stay here any longer. We have to get Elizabeth out of here tonight."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Julie follows Ray back to where Nat is waiting. "Okay," she says, more relieved than anything. "What are they doing? What did you see in there?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Did you get a sample for the Doc?" Nat also asks Ray. "Did you see Elizabeth in there?"
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Ray shakes his head again. ”We’re not going to be able to get a sample, I don’t think. I didn’t see her, and we shouldn’t go back in there.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"You sure? I don't mind having a go - I can be pretty quick." But Nat senses rather than sees the look on Ray's face. "Whatever you say, Boss. So do we find Elizabeth and get out of here? Do you know where she is, Julie?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You mean she wasn't in there?" asks Julie. "She hadn't wanted to miss...whatever it is they're doing. I'm just as glad if she's not in there. I know where her bedroom is." She gives them directions. "I should go ahead of you, talk to her before she sees you if she's there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Ray,Ray was overwhelmed by what he saw in there, and couldn't pick out Elizabeth from the group. For him, the worshipers seemed like a single mass. Elizabeth can be in there, but he is just not sure.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Okay, sounds like a plan. Although I'll hang back a bit and listen out in case they finish up inside the hanger." says Nat. "I just hope you can persuade her to leave though."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Julie and Ray,[b]Julie[/b] leads [b]Ray[/b] over to the smaller house on the West side of the compound. The darkness in the desert is all-pervasive, and soon they loose sight of Nat, who remains standing next to the hangar building. The building has a small enclosed porch before it. It is full of junk: old boxes, dusty crates. Ray almost trips over a broken bicycle. Inside the house, it's musty and stale. The front door leads to a narrow corridor, with doors on both sides. Julie opens the first door to the right - the place where she and Elizabeth slept an hour ago. In the darkness, Ray can discern that the room is void of furnishings. There are just two mattresses on the floor, and a couple of cardboard boxes. Elizabeth is not around. She is either someplace else, or Ray didn't spot her in the hangar.
Nat,Ray and Julie head towards the western part of the compound and disappear into the darkness. Nat stays next to the hangar's door, and listen attentively to the sounds emanating from the inside. After a minute or so he notices that the collective humming starts to diminish. One by one voices are getting "disconnected" from it, then fade into silence. The lead voice, the chanting of Cavendish, still holds, but instead of the flow of almost random syllables, he is now just repeating one: something between a choking cough and a throaty noise: [i]"kh! kh! kh!"[/i] Nat has a weird sensation... Is the ground rumbling under his feet? Just slightly? Like in the case of a distant or weak earthquake?
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Spoiler,"Jeez, I hope it's just them dancing," Nat thinks to himself worriedly as he feels slight tremors through his soles. He concentrates hard on the New sound, trying to identify it. "What the hell is going on in there? "
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I guess we'd better head back down and rejoin Nat," says Julie. "That hangar's the only other place she's likely to be. Is it possible she was in there and you just didn't see her?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Ray grimaces thinking back to what he saw. ”It’s is. If that’s the case I think we’ll just hav to wait until they’re... done. Do you think that after they leave the barn, you could get her alone? Near a spot Nat and I would be hiding?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"She'll probably come right back here to her bed," says Julie. "I can lie down and pretend to be asleep, and then pretend to wake up when she arrives. You two could hide nearby somewhere."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Julie and Ray sneak back to the hangar, where Nat is still on watch.

As they get closer to the hangar, they feel the ground rumbling under their feet. A slight tremor - like a distant earthquake, or a truck passing nearby?

Inside the hangar, the chorus of voices diminished. The lead voice, the chanting of Cavendish, still holds, but instead of the flow of almost random syllables, he is now just repeating one: something between a choking cough and a throaty noise: "kh! kh! kh!"

Julie and Ray quickly share their plan with Nat.

They need to come up quickly with a meeting point, if they go along with this plan; and also decide at which point they are bringing in Tobias.
Compound map.png
Key,[list=1][*]Not a proper building, just a tin roof on rows of posts. There is some old farming equipment (ploughs etc.), and crates covered with tarps. [*]A single-storey house, made of pre-fab elements. There is a narrow enclosed porch with windows and a door facing the center of the compound. It has a hinged roof, with a small window on the short side: it probably has a small attic. This is where Elizabeth sleeps. [*]Outhouse. [*]A single-story brick house, with an open porch along the long side facing the center. It looks like the oldest building in the place. Two windows on the left side of the front wall are boarded up. [*]The newly- built hangar or barn. It's entrance (a double gate, currently closed) is facing the center of the compound. The place of the community's "meditation sessions". [*]In this area, the earth is ploughed, and there are some things planted - tomatoes and the like. It's all haphazardly worked. [*]A rusty trailer, a leftover from the 1950s, propped up with bricks. The pink paint is peeling of the side. Adjacent to the trailer, a tarp is stretched out to provide shade.[/list] North is up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If things go south," says Julie, "they'll be expecting us to leave by the main gate. What about that hole in the fence you found, Nat? Could we all fit through it? If so, we can meet there if we have to split up. What is going on in there? Can we afford to wait until whatever it is is over?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"The only trouble with the hole is its the opposite side to Tobias. We had planned to leave by the gate and Tobias could pick us up in the car." He leans near Julie's chest, "Tobias you still with us? May have a change of plan, hang on a sec. Boss, what do you reckon? We should be able to hide behind that far shack (1) and wait for them. Or I could run back to the car for wire cutters to make a hole behind the shack while you wait for Elizabeth."
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

"I think we try the second one," says Ray. "There'll be places for me to hide in the shack, and I'm sure Julie and I will be able to get ahold of Elizabeth. Nat once you see Julie lead Elizabeth to me you'll have to work fast, and make sure Tobias is nearby with the car ready."

Return to “On the Precipice”