Chapter 3: Approaching the Unknown (everybody)

1976, South California
The Sandoval couple is worried sick: their daughter, Elizabeth, ran off and joined a cult, the Temple of Concordance. They had no contact with her until recently, when she called them, clearly in a state of distress. The call ended abruptly, without any answer from Elizabeth about her status. The police checked up on the Temple, but found everything to be in order: Elizabeth is 21, practicing her right to worship as she wishes. The Sandovals decide to take matters into their own hands...

Moderator: evil_scientist

HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 3: Approaching the Unknown (everybody)

Post by HelplessBystander »

OOC:   I'm confused. Is Tobias still following the investigators or is he meant to be here to help out with investigation as well. I didn't post for a while because I thought Tobias is drinking in a different location. Evil, do you mind clarifying?  
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

HelplessBystander wrote:
OOC:   I'm confused. Is Tobias still following the investigators or is he meant to be here to help out with investigation as well. I didn't post for a while because I thought Tobias is drinking in a different location. Evil, do you mind clarifying?  
OOC:   Sorry for the confusion!! Tobias is helping with the investigation, and is present at the motel too (if he wants, he can even get a room... but good luck explaining that to his family!)  
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Thanks, directions would be great," says Julie.
"Well, you just drive to the intersection, where the town center is, and turn left, towards the desert. Follow the road for 3 miles, until you see a dirt road to the right. Take that, and drive some more. There will be bigger rocks scattered around, so you know you are headed into the right direction."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Well, that sounds like an idea. We could go and get a look." Tobias suggested, finally waking up after realising he was lying over on a sofa in an unfamiliar motel. Funnily enough, he have no recollection of how he had managed to get here, but he knew enough to get the rough idea of what's happening. Ignoring his splitting headache, he wobbled towards the exit, "I'm sure I could drive meself there, got a rough idea of the direction, anyhow."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You want to go now?" asks Julie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"No time like the present? Fair go, I reckon." Tobias said, phrasing it as a question rather than a statement. "I mean, it's a beautiful afternoon and there's still at least three to four hours 'till dinnertime. I'm sure I could afford to go around for a while without my wife yelling at me. Besides, what was I doing haff-an' hour ago? Drinking meself dead, mate, that's what. I'm sure some exercise could do me good."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Nat watches Tobias' wobbley progress with concern. "Hey, Mister Jerkins, if you like I can drive you and anyone else to have a look. I reckon it'll be a dirt road and could be tricky driving; our car would be a whole lot more comfortable on the bumps. Won't they think it's a bit odd if we drive out there without an excuse though?" He looks at Ray and Julie.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Hey. We could say we're just passerbys from another city looking for one o' thoe flower child tree-hugging communities that's willing to offer some, you know, the fancy-schmancy good joints. I'm sure a fab old man like me blends right in with the youngsters. As an old man, I'm sure they won't suspect a thing." Tobias said, accepting the offer of not driving his own car there, "But I probably need to get someone to take my car back to the motel. I would have a lot of explaining to do if I park my car in front of another motel while my wife's reading Jane Austin in her hotel room."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Nat finds it hard to believe the old man's wife ever having anything to worry about on that score but he says
, "Sure thing, we'll follow you back to your hotel, you can square it with the missus and then we can all go in our truck. You think that'll work, Ray?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The Investigators quickly drive back to Tobias' hotel. Tobias has a brief and only slightly awkward chat with his wife. Afterwards, everybody piles into Nat's spacious ride, and you begin your journey towards the Temple of Concordance's compound. In the meantime, there's plenty of opportunities to come up with a plan.
OOC,So, what's the plan, folks? Some of the Temple members already know Tobias (but probably think that he is just a senile old man, who poses no threat), and if Elizabeth is there, she is bound to recognize Julie (but you cannot foretell what might be her reaction).
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"So, I believe we need to assign a few roles on what we're doing when we get there. Obviously, there would need to be two or more people getting off the car and scouting out the compound while taking in the place; someone else needs to stay in the car and observe from a distance, and it would also be an effective way of controlling the level of risks and unpredictable factors that we may or may-not encounter. That's about it in terms of planning. Is there anything else anyone wish to add?" Tobias said, starting the discussion.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Nat rubs his chin, "I don't know that they'd let us just walk in and even if they did, there'd be nothing for us to see; it'd just be a fine old regular ranch, thank you siree. Maybe we should stick to the old plan; Julie goes in as a new recruit and we stand ready to pull her and Elizabeth out. We've got wires to put on her so we can hear whats going on, Mr Jerkins."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

“Under the assumption that our target knows what they’re doing, would it not make sense to infer that they would search for wires?” Tobias replied, “Furthermore, sending off one of our own would backfire really easily and would permanently endanger our credibility within their community. I don’t see the need to take such an unnecessary risk. It’s more logical to play the long game with different people scouting out the place through different viewpoints. Gathering information like this would work in our favour more than sending Julie in as a recruit.”
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Cotton »

Ray says, "We can try scouting around, but I think Julie should stay in the car so she's out of sight. That way we can still get her inside their compound if we need to."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

“Good idea, anyone want to add something else to the table?” Tobias continued, smiling by a little bit.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Nat shrugs; he's new to this game and is happy to bow to the experts. He scans the road ahead for the turnoff. "Hopefully we can park the car on some higher ground and gain a good vantage point. If Julie is staying with the car as our ace card, then I could take the long scout round the back of the ranch. I could do with stretching my legs." Nat's long frame looks like it could easily eat up a few miles with an easy run if necessary. "But I'll do whatever you think is best."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

“That sounds fine. They probably wouldn’t be outright hostile to someone walking around the compound.” Tobias said, “Don’t look suspicious and sprint off if you believe you are under threat. Running would set off red flags; sprinting just implies confidence. I think. Don’t trust the advice of a drunk old man as gospel under any circumstances.”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Landscape.JPG
Landscape 2.JPG
The Investigators follow the instructions. They first drive through the small community of Kane Springs, and then into the open desert. Monotonous plains, with sparse vegetation, and only occasional buildings. The sky is slightly overcast, and the mountains in the distance provide a brooding backdrop.
aine wrote:Nat scans the road ahead for the turnoff. "Hopefully we can park the car on some higher ground and gain a good vantage point.
Soon Nat notices the dirt road mentioned my the motel owner. It is to the right of the highway, leading to the north. It is not marked on the map, however.

This bumpy road takes you into a slightly different landscape. The ground is uneven here, with mounds and elevations. There are also several reddish-orange rocky outcrops. Nat looks for a good vantage point, and eventually decides to take the car off-road, and drive up on a slope that has a huge boulder on top. The engine stops, the dust slowly settles.

In the distance, maybe a half mile ahead, you see some smaller buildings grouped around a bigger hangar-like structure. Smoke rises from one of the buildings. There are also smaller "boxes" - cars, trailers maybe. The cluster of houses stands in the middle of a territory surrounded by a chain-link fence. The terrain here is the same uneven ground you passed before, with some mounds and rocks inside the compound as well.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll wait here with the car, then," says Julie. "It's best if I'm not seen with you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias gets out of the car.

Return to “On the Precipice”