Chat

1976, South California
The Sandoval couple is worried sick: their daughter, Elizabeth, ran off and joined a cult, the Temple of Concordance. They had no contact with her until recently, when she called them, clearly in a state of distress. The call ended abruptly, without any answer from Elizabeth about her status. The police checked up on the Temple, but found everything to be in order: Elizabeth is 21, practicing her right to worship as she wishes. The Sandovals decide to take matters into their own hands...

Moderator: evil_scientist

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Chat

Post by evil_scientist »

HelplessBystander, I'm a bit confused by your character sheet.
Tobias Jerkins, 1976 wrote:Characteristics
STR: 70
CON: 70
SIZ: 60
DEX: 58
APP: 75
INT: 70
POW: 75
EDU: 85
Luck: 85
Tobias, 1920s wrote:Characteristics
STR: 80
APP: 65
POW: 80
EDU: 71 (+1 EDU from occupation)
For age 67, according to the rules, you have to
"Make 4 improvement checks for
EDU and deduct 20 points among STR, CON or
DEX, and reduce APP by 15."

Did you roll for EDU improvement?
I see you deducted 10 from STR, but left CON and DEX untouched. And what's behind his +5 to POW?

Also, with 19% Mythos, his Maximum Sanity should be 80.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

evil_scientist wrote:HelplessBystander, I'm a bit confused by your character sheet.
Tobias Jerkins, 1976 wrote:Characteristics
STR: 70
APP: 75
POW: 75
EDU: 85
Tobias, 1920s wrote:Characteristics
STR: 80
APP: 65
POW: 80
EDU: 71 (+1 EDU from occupation)
For age 67, according to the rules, you have to
"Make 4 improvement checks for
EDU and deduct 20 points among STR, CON or
DEX, and reduce APP by 15."

Did you roll for EDU improvement?
I see you deducted 10 from STR, but left CON and DEX untouched. And what's behind his +5 to POW?

Also, with 19% Mythos, his Maximum Sanity should be 80.

I am so so sorry. I don't have access to 7e rule book, and so I'm actually using the 6e rules for old age and are trying to, somehow, make it work. Unfortunately, it only resulted in bad maths. Terribly sorry 'bout that. I'll alter the stats in the morning and I'll make it right. Thanks for your patience. I appreciate your efforts.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Sure, no problem!

Okay, we have the three characters, so I think I will start up the first in-game topic tomorrow!!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Alright, made the necessary changes. Removed 10 from DEX, changed Max SAN, and made his POW unchanged. I think that's about it. Thanks for pointing out the bad maths. I was in a frantic rush of dividing by 5 and then re-multiplying since 7e was essentially all about making all the stats percentile-based as opposed to the smaller sums that I was used to work with in 6e so I made some silly errors and made the sheet too confusing.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Sorry, I didn't have internet access for two days at home, and now it's holiday time... So I think the start of the game is postponed until the 25th! Thanks for your patience.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

I don’t think I’ll able to post on 25. the Xmas gatherings an’ all that.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Sorry, guys, turns out the last week of the year, even with the holidays going, can be loaded with work to do, I just can't find the time to post here :cry: But we have a potential fourth player, aine. So looks like a new game for the new year.

One thing I definitely need to write up is Julie Weber's connection to Elizabeth Sandoval, and some other minor background info elements for you all.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

No problem. The holidays are always a chaotic time :D
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

You are not kidding about crazy hols.

Here's an idea; Nat Waldner is a young 'all american boy' who grew up on a ranch in Southern California. He is quite bright but has a slow, methodical manner that makes him come across as a bit backward. He is a big lad; a gentle giant. He could be Cotton's nephew and is tagging along as his assistant, maybe because of family pressures or work experience. Cotton could decide it's not so bad; after all, Nat's imposing size and practical skills could come in quite useful.

evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

aine wrote:You are not kidding about crazy hols.
First you spend a few days "doing" the holidays, then a few more "undoing" them :lol:

aine wrote:Here's an idea; Nat Waldner is a young 'all american boy' who grew up on a ranch in Southern California. He is quite bright but has a slow, methodical manner that makes him come across as a bit backward. He is a big lad; a gentle giant. He could be Cotton's nephew and is tagging along as his assistant, maybe because of family pressures or work experience. Cotton could decide it's not so bad; after all, Nat's imposing size and practical skills could come in quite useful.

Perhaps he is not a relative of Cotton's character, but somebody who was broken out from a cult and deprogrammed, and now tags along as an assistant?
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Player: Aine
Name: Nat Waldner
Sex: Male
Birthplace: Clanton, Alabama
Current Residence: Los Angeles, California
Colleges, Degrees: None

Characteristics:
STR: 60 (35/14)
CON: 70 (25/10)
SIZ: 80 (50/10)
DEX: 50 (40/16)
APP: 50 (30/12)
INT: 50 (20/8)
POW: 60 (25/10)
EDU: 40 (30/12)

Hit Points: 15/15
Magic Points: 12/12
Maximum Sanity (99 - Cthulhu Mythos): 99
Sanity: 60
Luck: 55
Move Rate: 9
Build: +0
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Skills:
Non-Default are bolded. Occupational Skills in Italics. Personal Interests preceded by a DOT.
Accounting (05%):
Animal Handling (05%): 70%
Anthropology (01%):
Appraise (05%):
Archaeology (01%):
.Art: / Craft: (05%): 25%
Charm (15%):
Climb (20%):
Computer Use (01%):
Credit Rating (00%): 50%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Demolitions (01%):
Disguise (05%):
Diving (01%):
Dodge (1/2 DEX): 25%
Drive Auto (20%): 50%
Electrical Repair (10%): 40%
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
Fighting (Brawl) (25%):
Firearms (Handgun) (20%):
.Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) (25%):45%
First Aid (30%): 50%
History (05%):
Hypnosis (01%):
Intimidate (15%):
Jump (20%):
Language (English) (EDU): 40%
Law (05%):
Library Use (20%):
Listen (20%):
Locksmith (01%):
Mechanical Repair (10%): 50%
Medicine (01%):
Meteology (05%): 40%
Natural World (10%): 40%
Navigate (10%):
Occult (10%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%):
Persuade (10%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (10%):
Read Lips (01%):
Ride (05%): 60%
Science (01%):
Sleight of Hand (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 45%
Stealth (20%):
Survival (10%):
Swim (20%):
Throw (lasso) (20%): 60%
.Track (10%): 30%

Nat Waldon is a middle son from a large farming family in Alabama. The family are religious and xenophobic. Nat is more simple minded and easy going. He is 6’4”, strong and has great endurance; useful attributes for working his father’s ranch. Nat is slow and methodical so comes across as not very bright. But he shows true ability and dexterity at the rodeo and isn’t a bad shot with a rifle either. He spent a short time with the cult of The Exhaltant Dreamers after following a girlfriend there but managed to break out at the same time that Ray Tovar helped another cult member escape. He has been tagging along, rather like a faithful puppy, as Ray's assistant ever since.

Notes: Used quick skills: 70, 60, 60, 50, 50, 50, 40, 40 ,40 and 4x20% for hobbies (rifle, craft, spot hidden and track). Had to guess rancher/farm skills as: animal handling, ride, throw, natural world, first aid, mech and electrical repair, drive (off road) and meteology. But let me know what to change if necessary.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

aine wrote:Nat Waldon is a middle son from a large farming family in Alabama. The family are religious and xenophobic. Nat is more simple minded and easy going. He is 6’4”, strong and has great endurance; useful attributes for working his father’s ranch. Nat is slow and methodical so comes across as not very bright. But he shows true ability and dexterity at the rodeo and isn’t a bad shot with a rifle either. He spent a short time with the cult of The Exhaltant Dreamers after following a girlfriend there but managed to break out at the same time that Ray Tovar helped another cult member escape. He has been tagging along, rather like a faithful puppy, as Ray's assistant ever since.

Notes: Used quick skills: 70, 60, 60, 50, 50, 50, 40, 40 ,40 and 4x20% for hobbies (rifle, craft, spot hidden and track). Had to guess rancher/farm skills as: animal handling, ride, throw, natural world, first aid, mech and electrical repair, drive (off road) and meteology. But let me know what to change if necessary.
Cool, I think Nat is a great addition to the cast! Please, post it in the Characters section as well!

HelplessBystander is in China for some time, so I will start up with a meeting of the Sandovals, Julie, Ray Tovar and Nat, and then bring in Tobias Jerkins a bit later!
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

I wasn't sure if I could visit the PbP site when I made the post. Was pleasantly surprised to find that to not be the case. Still cannot post with any regularity anywhere since my Gmail is (obviously) blocked and setting up a vpn is too expensive and inconvenient for two week trip. I'll post if and when I see my role is mentioned.

No guarantees, but will definitely promise to do better than a no-show. Thanks evil_scientist!
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Okay, Tobias' thread is up as well! After some discussions I came up with a good way to bring him closer to the events of the scenario.

Ray Tovar and Tobias Jerkins are still acquainted, they corresponded about various cult-related matters. Perhaps know each other personally as well (although not too closely).
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Thankd for all the thought and attention you gave for inserting Tobias! I felt like the only way to respond to this thoughtful gift would be to start with TWO paragraphs of his inner monologue instead of the usual one. :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Are we allowed to read the other thread, or only our own?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Let's keep things a mystery for now ;) You'll be allowed to read the parallel topics when eventually all the characters meet up.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Found this site, with an archive of various Christian sermons:
Sermon Audio, Decade of 1970

;)
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

Oh man this seems like a great resource for games :D
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Really sorry; I've booked a last-minute holiday. Going on Thursday and back 3rd April. I guess Nat will take a back seat on decision-making but will be ready to lend his skills to the action wherever necessary. GM can you npc him please? Don't worry about dropping him in the deepend! I'm fed up to be missing this - sounds like it's going to be a corker.

Return to “On the Precipice”