Chapter 2: Investigations (Ray, Nat, Julie)

1976, South California
The Sandoval couple is worried sick: their daughter, Elizabeth, ran off and joined a cult, the Temple of Concordance. They had no contact with her until recently, when she called them, clearly in a state of distress. The call ended abruptly, without any answer from Elizabeth about her status. The police checked up on the Temple, but found everything to be in order: Elizabeth is 21, practicing her right to worship as she wishes. The Sandovals decide to take matters into their own hands...

Moderator: evil_scientist

Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Re: Chapter 2: Investigations (Ray, Nat, Julie)

Post by Cotton »

Ray says, "Hmmm. More than likely not, on second thought. It also might be difficult to track down any other members of the One True Church at this point. It might be best just to move on to attempting to get you, Julie, in contact with Elizabeth in preparation for your "joining" the cult. Unless I'm misremembering some other step we could take?"
OOC:   Also I don't believe I've ever been to a diner that serves beer, but I wish they did.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, I think we just need to make preparations for me to go inside," says Julie. "I should wear a wire so that you can hear everything that goes on. You can set up a listening post nearby, and if you hear me get into trouble, you can come help. We can also come up with a code word I can say if I need to let you know that I need help in case it's not obvious. I could also carry mace. Even if they found out I had it, it wouldn't arouse suspicion for a young woman to be carrying it in this day and age. The wire, on the other hand, would, but I think I'm safer with it. If they're searching me for a wire, I'm already in over my head."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

The diner serves no alcohol, but the hash browns and the tuna sandwiches are very tasty.

The Investigators ponder the possible courses of action. One question remains: how to get the microphone, receiver, and related gear that Julie needs to infiltrate the cult?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Ray considers the group's next move while he eats. He wonders allowed if there would be a good electronics store nearby where they could go to pick up the gear they would need for the undercover mission. While he had some experience with using this sort of equipment, Nat had always more of a mind for that sort of thing.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Is this the sort of stuff we can get at Radio Shack?" asks Julie.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,Anyone can make Electronics or Electrical Repair checks. Ray can also make a Law check.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Ray isn't sure about the technical side of the needed electronics, but he does have another idea.
Spoiler:
Electrical Repair: 10%
[dice]0[/dice]
Law: 25%
[dice]1[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Julie knows next to nothing about what they'll need.
OOC,Electrical Repair roll (10% base skill) about the electronics gear: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,Nice roll, Cotton! I'm taking some liberties with legal terms and stuff, because I don't know much about 1970s US law, but I think what follows is sort of logical in the game world.
Ray might not know a thing about microphones and devices, but he is quite an expert in the legal issues and police procedures concerning such operations.

He knows at least three precedents when taping of a conversation was ruled legal (mostly due to the conversation being classified as non-private), and Ray is sure that he and his team can get away with basically spying on Cavendish.

And Ray has some insider information from the basements of the San Diego police. After wire taping operations, the techies are obliged to return and sign for all pieces of equipment. However, this is not always the case. Ray knows a guy who knows a guy who sells "surplus" recording devices, magnetic tape, microphones, transmitters... Getting in touch with him would require some time, and would delay the Investigators' departure until early morning.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

ooc,Just realised my last post didn't upload on Tuesday, so sorry.
Electrical,(50%) roll: 11
'I can get what we need from Radio Shack - that's a great idea." Nat beams at Julie. "Look, I didn't find out anything at the library as it was shut; but I did hear sommat about Kane Springs. Seems that as a holiday destination it's really taken a dive. Something to do with the seawater going too saline. Oh and the fish dying. But we could go as poor tourists; I got us a ride so we can fit right in." He points to a battered and tired-looking jeep parked outside.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Nat knows how to make a wiretap from commercially available materials.

The Investigators have a choice:
1. wait for Ray's contacts to sell them a high quality, police issue wiretap; BUT only go to Kane Springs next morning,
2. or swing by the Radio Shack, get stuff for Nat's home-made device, and reach Kane Springs today.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Julie. "I wouldn't know where to begin putting something like that together, of course. We could pick up the gear, and you could assemble it on the way to Kane Springs. I don't like leaving Elizabeth alone in that place a minute longer than we have to."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Ray says, "I understand how you feel Julie, but if we wait until tomorrow to leave I know a guy who can get us much better equipment. Trust me when I say that this sort of gear is the last thing you want malfunctioning in a situation like this." He then turns to Nat, "Good idea on that car, Nat. Anything too flashy and we'd stick out like a sore thumb. How does she run?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

"Oh, she's sound under the hood. Just won't win any beauty pagents. She's filled up with gas, the spare is almost bald but useable and I've got the papers here. If we can get the latest SNS wire from your guy, Ray, it'll be much smaller than anything I can devise and the range and battery power are much better too so it'll be worth the wait. You'd still better wear something loose to hide it though, Julie."
Nat grins, "All those hours of scouring techy magazines as a teenager is really paying off!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good thinking, Nat," says Julie. "When I play roller derby I wear something tight so that nobody can grab onto me as easily, but I have some loose, casual clothes. All right, we'll wait until tomorrow to get the better equipment. It wouldn't help either me or Elizabeth to have it fail or be discovered at the wrong time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The Investigators make plans, finish their meals, and agree to leave for Kane Springs early in the next morning.

Ray makes a few calls and sets up a clandestine meeting with a shady police techie. Money exchanges hands (a big bite out of the Sandoval budget!), and Ray receives a microphone, batteries, and a receiver. The techie assures him that with this they will be able to listen in on Ray's cheating wife from a mile away (he is positive the whole cult problem is an elaborate cover story).
OOC,New topic for the next chapter coming tomorrow!
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

The story continues here: viewtopic.php?f=428&t=6361

Return to “On the Precipice”