Chapter 8: Toward a Final Reckoning

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 8: Toward a Final Reckoning

Post by HoneyDog »

London, Wednesday 13th December, 3am

The Army and Navy Club, Pall Mall

OOC,Sorry, it looks like its down to the three of you now. Please read the other threads if you haven't already.
It is an unhappy reunion in the early hours at the Army and Navy Club. The body of Norton has been removed to the morgue. The staff who were on duty have been sent home, and the club has been closed. Despite this, a room has been set aside for the police, and it is there that the companions gather to discuss their options. Both parties discuss the evening’s findings. Inspector Craddock addresses the heroes.

“After our talk, I insist that you all return home to rest. Tomorrow will be an eventful day, I’m sure, so we must have our wits about us. Alan Paice will remain under guard until the matter is resolved.”

He pauses for a moment. “I want to catch the devils responsible for all this, but I cannot let any more lives be taken. So while I am tempted to use the mummy and Colonel Hollingsworth to bait the killers, I am open to other options to stop this. I would like to hear your thoughts.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 8: Toward a Final Reckoning

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston winces as he sits with bandaged ribs. "We have an offer from the Egyptian scholar Mr. Faez and his Cairo associates to collect the mummy and take it back to its homeland if the Colonel will agree. But I confess I am still unsure as to how trustworthy Faez is."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That plan sounds ideal, if we can trust Mr. Faez," says Reg. "I've never met the man, so I couldn't rightly say whether we can or not."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Harry looks dapper as ever, other than his undone bowtie and one or two strands of hair artfully out of place.

"Inspector, that coffin seems to be the key. If we started traveling with it to Egypt, I wonder if it would draw out the enemy? My friends and I have all served overseas, and I for one am happy to travel again of it will save lives." Harry looks at his friends but is reluctant to speak for them.

"I will say I am very concerned about trying to wrest the accursed thing from the colonel. Somehow, he's become attached to that hideous monstrosity."

Harry looks over at Preston and his bandaged ribs. "I say, doctor, you must stop stealing all the fun for yourself."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I too would be willing to accompany the mummy to Egypt," says Reg. "We seemed to be starting to get through to the colonel last night. Perhaps we could persuade him to part with the mummy. If not, Inspector Craddock could use the weight of the law to pressure him. With everything he stole, not just the mummy, he could be in serious trouble - or, if he cooperates, he might not be."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry pulls out his pipe, fills it and lights it up.

"Well, as the Ottoman proverb has it, if the mountain will not go to Mohammad... What I mean to say is perhaps the colonel would be willing to travel with the coffin. Mind you, that will just double the unpleasant people we'll be sailing with. Oh well."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

”Why will taking the mummy back to Egypt solve the problem?” asks Craddock.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"It seems a little too convenient," Preston agrees. "I for one have no intention of traveling to Egypt. Perhaps we should send for Mr. Faez and see what transpires. If the captain is correct about Hollingsworth we may learn a few things."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We're not entirely sure that it would solve the problem," says Reg. "It might nullify that prophecy mentioned in those scrolls, and while I don't put much stock in it, the killers clearly do. Then again, they may very well continue seeking revenge until all their enemies are dead. Either way, the mummy is the best way to draw them out. I'm certain they'll come after it sooner or later."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Well, why don't we all get some rest then meet again at the Colonel's mansion later? If Hollingsworth is indeed unwilling to part with the mummy then that will be the venue of our final reckoning either way. We can send a telegram for Mr. Faez from there when we are prepared. Inspector, an obvious police presence may give the game away but we would value having you and your men close by in case things turn nasty."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

"I'm still not sure that a good bonfire with the coffin on top wouldn't solve the problem. Home for rest then I suppose."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Craddock rises wearily to his feet.

“We’ll maintain a strong presence at the mansion today. These cultists seem to only attack at night, so that is when we need to be most ready, in my estimation. I will telegram Faez and ask him to meet us there. We can hear him out and come to a final decision. Please arm yourselves appropriately, and get some rest. I will expect you at the mansion at six pm this evening.”

Craddock
arranges for some carriages to take the heroes home for some much needed rest.
Harry,[b]Harry [/b]finds a telegram at home, a reply from [b]Hary Marcos[/b] of the Cairo Museum. It confirms that [b]Mounir Faez[/b] does indeed work for the museum, and is in London on an assignment for them.
Everyone,We will meet again at the mansion then. Please conduct any business you need to before 6pm. Is that okay with everyone?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The attack on Dr. Jordan was in the afternoon," says Reg. "However, the rest of their attacks have been at night. I'll bring my hunting rifle when I return."
OOC,That's okay with me.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It's getting dark around 4pm at that time of year.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry will have messages sent to his friends, inviting everyone to lunch at somewhere civilised, so that they might consider their options.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,You want to discuss this further then? But in a different setting?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,I thought a quick discussion without the police, final plan sort of thing. If you think it's a waste of time, ignore it.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It’s up to you guys. If there is a plan you want to keep from the police then by all means do so.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry will be waiting at the proposed restaurant at lunch time.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

simpsonsdivan.jpg
Harry notifies his companions to meet him at Simpsons in the Strand for lunch.

Unfortunately, James Winter has been called back again to the regiment, but he can be reassured that his uncle Alan Paice is under police protection.

After some much-needed rest, the companions meet together at 12pm at Simpsons.
HelplessBystander,Helena can rejoin here and we'll assume the others bring her up to date. Please read the previous posts.

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”