Chapter 7b: Walk like an Egyptian (Preston & James)

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 7b: Walk like an Egyptian (Preston & James)

Post by HoneyDog »

It is a short walk to The Strand and the location of the Somerset Hotel. It is a well-regarded establishment – comfortable but not ostentatiously so.

The reception is fairly quiet as Preston and James enter. There are one or two guests around, and two uniformed staff behind the counter.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 7b: Walk like an Egyptian (Preston & James)

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston approaches the counter. "Good evening. Would you kindly tell me the room number of Mr. Faez and whether he is currently in residence?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The clerk checks the keys behind him.Mr. Faez is in room 32, but it appears he is out at the moment. Would you like to leave a message?”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"No thank you, we must speak with him in person on a matter of some urgency. Did he happen to indicate his intended destination or if he would be returning soon?"
Ebinthetropics
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Ebinthetropics »

darn,my character in another game should be here, pretty high Lock Pick skill, we could just pop in and look around a bit....
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The clerk shakes his head. “I’m afraid not sir. You’re welcome to wait for him in our lobby, or perhaps the hotel bar.”
Ebinthetropics
Layman
Layman

Post by Ebinthetropics »

"I'll be right back, doc," James says, and heads to the bar. He'll give the bar a quick scan looking for someone of middle eastern descent.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

There doesn’t seem to be anyone matching such a description in the bar.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Tell me, does Mr. Faez receive many visitors?" Preston asks the clerk.
Spoiler:
James has a very high Persuade, you might try persuading the clerk to let us have the key and wait in the room.
Ebinthetropics
Layman
Layman

Post by Ebinthetropics »

OOC:   good call  
James comes back from the bar and shakes his head briefly to the doctor. Approaching the front desk, he gestures for the other clerk to come to the far end of the counter, and leans in. Before he speaks, he looks back as if to make sure none of the other guests can hear them.

"Sir, we're here on a criminal matter," he says in a hushed tone. "There have been a few suspicious deaths in town lately of prominent Army men. During our investigation, we have discovered there are several...." he pauses as a guest walks by. "Several documents of interest that may be related to these deaths. We are also aware that Mr Faez may be able to give insight regarding these documents. We don't believe he's a suspect, mind you, not at this point, but we really must speak to him about the documents in order to prevent any further catastrophe. May we wait upstairs for him?" James looks the clerk in the eyes the whole time he says this, except any time he says "documents", when he quite deliberately glances up toward the ceiling. He also nods occasionally, hopefully getting the clerk to get in the habit of nodding in agreement.
persuade = 80%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   does the doctor mind being called any of the following: Francis, Frank, Doc?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry guys, but there's no way a respectable hotel will let non-guests into a paying guest's room like that. Hotels are regular targets for thieves and con artists. Sorry I should have got to this post earlier, 'cause you're going to land yourselves in a spot of bother now.
The clerk nods his head in the direction behind Preston and James. "I see sir" he says loudly. "Are you with the police?"

A middle-aged but formidable looking man in an old but very neat suit appears next to our heroes.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston
Spoiler:
I think the Victorians were much more formal and strictly we would just be using surnames like Holmes and Watson.
"No, we are interested in antiquities. We wish to speak with him in his professional capacity as an Egyptian scholar." Preston turns at the man's approach. "May we help you?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“So, you’re antiquities experts investigating murders?” says the clerk in confusion.

“I work for the hotel” says the other man. “Do you gentlemen have calling cards?” He holds out his hand in expectation.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston shows his card. "He is assisting me," he says of James, anticipating that the soldier wouldn't have a professional card. "I think it best if we wait in the bar until Mr. Faez arrives so we can clear up this misunderstanding."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“This says you’re a doctor.” The man hands the card back to Preston. “It would be best if you left immediately.” He tenses, and the clerk takes an involuntary step back from the counter.

Just then, a man enters the lobby and walks to the desk.

“My key, please” he calls.

Mr. Faez!” gasps the clerk.

“Yes” says Faez slowly, for it is he. His eyes look around and he tries to appraise the situation.

“These men are asking about you, Mr. Faez says the other man. “They were about to leave. Do you know them?”

Faez looks at our heroes and shakes his head. “No, I can’t say that I do. What is it you gentlemen desire from me?”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston glances across at the clerk's curious reaction.
Spoiler:
Psychology 35%[dice]0[/dice]
"Ah, Mr. Faez. I am Dr. Preston and this is my associate Mr. Winter. We wished to seek your expertise with regards to a matter of Egyptian antiquity."
Spoiler:
Ebinthetropics - my suggested approach is to question him about the things mentioned in the scrolls e.g. Nyarlathotep while keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“They wanted me to let them into your room, Mr. Faez says the clerk. “They said that you have documents relating to a murder.”

Faez’ eyes open wide in astonishment. “Murder? Good heavens!” he exclaims.

He regards Preston and James sternly. “Gentlemen, you had better explain yourselves. I am in possession of no documents. What on earth has any of this have to do with antiquities?”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"It is the fact, sir, that certain scrolls originating from Abadan are apparently so valuable that criminals are prepared to murder for them. I myself was very nearly a victim. We have come to see if your expert knowledge can shed light on the contents of these scrolls and their references to such arcane figures as Sekh-T'aut and Nyarlathotep, whatever they may be."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Faez takes a step back in shock.

“Abadan? This is the second conversation I have had today about that cursed place. It is no coincidence, I wager”. He looks at Preston closely. “We had better discuss this in private.”

He turns to the hotel staff.

“Gentlemen, do not fear. These men are right to request an audience with me. They will accompany me to my room. Come, gentlemen.”

He indicates for Preston and James to follow him upstairs.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston follows. "Those others were friends of ours. We have since learned some disturbing things, things which defy rational explanation. You are a scholar from Cairo, I believe?"

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”