Chapter 7a: The Colonel and the Mummy (Harry, Reg & Helena)

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 7a: The Colonel and the Mummy (Harry, Reg & Helena)

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions make their way to Hampstead, arriving at the Hollingsworth estate at 9.30pm. The house is mostly dark but there are a few lights on. It is a cold night, and a sense of foreboding hangs over the big house.

Ringing the doorbell, they are greeted again by Fordyce, the butler. He recognizes them all from before and regards them coolly.

“I’m sorry, but I believe the Colonel asked you to leave previously. Perhaps you should not be here.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 7a: The Colonel and the Mummy (Harry, Reg & Hele

Post by andyw666 »

Harry takes a deep breath, hoping it will bring patience with it.

In a calm voice of authority, he replies, "My good man, as I'm sure you can appreciate, I want to be here on this cold night about as much as the colonel wants me to be here. Nonetheless, lives are at stake and Major Gower, among others, has been murdered. And that is why we are here."

"So please go at get your master. We will not leave without speaking to him or Mrs Hollingsworth."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“We’ve already been made aware of the demise of Major Gower says Fordyce. “I really think you should leave sir, before I am obliged to inform the police.”

“Who the blazes is that Fordyce?”
comes an angry shout from inside the house.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry waves a hand in invitation. "By all means, summon the constabulary. If we're right, a few more stout lads in attendance would be a good thing."

Turning to his friends, Harry adds, "I hope everyone has an abundance of patience tonight."

He takes a deep breath again and calls out loudly, "Colonel, it's Capt Addison. I'm sure I'm not welcome but I must speak with you, urgently! Just for five minutes!"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The Colonel appears behind Fordyce, clad in a smoking jacket, and bellicose with rage. The scar on his face stands out. He waves his stick.

“Come back to make love to my wife, eh? You damned scoundrel! Fordyce, get out of the way! Maybe a cracked skull will help you get the message, Captain!”

He attempts to get around Fordyce, who has lost his composure and looks worried.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We're here to try to save your life, Colonel," says Reg. "This afternoon, four men in jackal masks broke into the home of Dr. Jordan and tried to kill him. They would have succeeded if I and Dr. Preston hadn't been there. We killed two of them, but the other two stole some scrolls from him and fled. Dr. Preston managed to save Dr. Jordan's life. Those two men will be coming after you, and they may have more friends. They want revenge, and they want that accursed mummy you've got."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry gestures to Reg and nods in a 'what he said' manner.

"Colonel, we are here simply because we fear for your life, your wife's life, and the lives of everyone else in your household. We ask nothing of you, other than somewhere warm to wait perhaps."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The Colonel stops and lowers his stick. The fire seems to go out of him.

"Jordan was attacked?" he asks. Without waiting for an answer, he says "You'd better come in."

Fordyce breathes a surreptitious sigh of relief. He directs the companions to where they can leave theirs coats and boots.

"Come with me" says Hollingsworth gruffly. "We'll talk in my study."

He leads the investigators to the rear of the house. They come to an oaken door, which Hollingsworth unlocks with a key from his pocket. He opens the door and stands aside.

"Come in" he says. He enters and lights several lanterns and candles.

The study has a modest bookshelf against one wall. On the walls are what appear to be flags - regimental keepsakes, and pictures and photographs representing Hollingsworth's military service. Various foreign- looking trinkets abound, but the room is dominated by a massive oak desk near the window.

In the southwest-corner is a strange and gruesome sight - a small, crude lacquered box. It looks like a coffin.

Hollingsworth sits behind his desk and pours a drink from a decanter. He doesn't offer any.

"So you want to talk about Abadan, then" he rumbles. "Let's hear what you have to say. Jordan told me about the curse. I laughed at him." He seems lost in introspection for the moment.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry is careful to transfer his service revolver from his coat to a pocket of his jacket, and does not leave his cane behind.

"Very well, Colonel, let's lay our cards on the table. Reg and Helena, I'll rely on you to fill in the parts I forget."

"Colonel, we know you led a raid across the Egyptian border into the Sudan, to this Abadan place. There was violence and you came away with treasure and this mummy."
Harry casts a look at the coffin thing.

"Jordan helped you sell the treasure."

"More recently, a number of members of the Buffs have been violently murdered, including Major Gower and Dr Sangster. Jordan was attacked and nearly killed. We have hopefully moved Mr Paice to safety. The murderers are seeking perhaps retribution but also this mummy, which they believe will return to life and wreak havoc here in Britain."

"Meanwhile, an Egyptian named Faez is to be found at the British Museum yet the museum itself does not know he is there or why. I know Faez has been to see you, and he is remarkably well informed of these events too."

"I won't even discuss my friend Dr Preston's medical opinion on the jackal mask men who attacked Jordan."

OOC,Can Harry make a Psychology roll to gain some insight into the Colonel?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sure, roll away.
The Colonel leans back in his chair. “Yes, I saw this Faez. He warned me too, but I disregarded him. Well, it sounded like so much tosh. I’ve tried to deal with this matter, but it’s getting out of control. I won’t risk my family. Whoever these people are, I will fight them, jackal men or no.”

The look on his face shows the companions that he means this. He shifts in his seat and clears his throat. “Have you considered a course of action?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we must anticipate what the enemy will do, and be ready for them," says Reg. "We know they will surely come here sooner or later. However, there are things we can do to forestall that, I think. It is the mummy they seek, and if the mummy were not here, they may not come here. The best course of action may be to send it back to Africa. Dr. Jordan had mentioned that the scrolls contain a prophecy. While they are gone, we do have his translation notes. They say that the body of their king would be taken by foreign invaders to a distant land, and that there he would rise up and bring that land down. Now I find that rather hard to believe myself, but one thing is clear - the killers believe it, and they will stop at nothing in their efforts to fulfill their prophecy. Now that they possess the scrolls, they have no doubt about where to go next."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

"Or we destroy it here. I take it this coffin thing contains the mummy? We could build a nice bonfire in your garden..."

Harry rather cautiously approaches the box, but not too close. He doesn't want to send the colonel into another tirade.
OOC,Harry's Psychology is 70% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry,The Colonel is obviously very anxious, but is trying to put a brave face on things.
“Return it from whence it came, eh?” Hollingsworth says to Reg. “But who would perform this act? We could destroy it I suppose, but that may anger the cult further.” He rubs his beard.

“Would be a shame, in a way. I’ve got rather attached to the old fellow. But I won’t risk my wife and son.”
Harry,Looking in the coffin, Harry sees the mummified figure. It is horrific to look at, wizened and ancient, but its features look are far more frightening than he could have anticipated. It is hard to believe that this figure was ever human. Looking at it installs a sense of dread which Harry can feel in the pit of his stomach.[ooc]Roll SAN! Failure means roll 1d6 for loss.[/ooc]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We could return it," suggests Reg. "We'd need maps of the area, of course, and a description of where exactly in Abadan you found the mummy."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

SAN,Harry's SAN is 66 and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Harry recoils from the coffin. "Dear God!"

"Whatever the decision, we propose to wait here tonight, in case they strike. Wherever you prefer, the front hall perhaps?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Hollingsworth addresses Reg again. “From what I understand, bringing the mummy here was enough to activate the curse. Returning it to Abadan might work, but we cannot know that for sure. It may already be too late.”

He turns to Harry. “I might be able to tolerate your presence, Captain, if I have your word that you will not attempt any designs on my wife”.

This alarming conversation is interrupted by Fordyce.

“Sir, Inspector Craddock of Scotland Yard is here with some uniformed constables. He requests an audience.”

Hollingsworth sighs, and nods assent.

Shortly the Inspector enters.

“I got your telegram” he tells Reg. “I assume you’ve all been bringing Colonel Hollingsworth up to date?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Precisely, Inspector," says Reg. "I believe the Colonel understands now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Craddock addresses the Colonel. “Then you aware, Colonel, that your life is in danger. I expect your full cooperation from now on.”

The Colonel nods gravely. “You have my word of honour, Inspector he says.

“Good” replies Craddock. “I will have two men stationed here at all times. They are armed. I will also stay tonight, so please have your butler see to our needs. My associates here have been invaluable with their assistance, and so if you are willing to persist, I would be most grateful.” This last part is addressed to our heroes.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry arches an eyebrow (he is still feeling somewhat aggrieved by the inspector's prior treatment of him).

"Of course, inspector. Prince Albert's Somersets do not withdraw from the field, except on a stretcher, what."

Harry looks back at the colonel with a tiny, shellfish aroma-ed sigh. "And, yes, colonel, you have my word."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Craddock bows in appreciation. “My men and I can stay here tonight. I think the three of you should retire to your homes to rest, and come back tomorrow. I must confess, this whole affair is quite unbelievable, but after seeing those bodies today…” He shakes his head and leaves the thought unfinished.

“I must see for myself”. Craddock walks over to the coffin and looks inside.
Craddock,SAN 70: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/605807]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]85[/b] SAN loss 1d3: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/605809]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d3[/u] [b]3[/b]
He has barely taken a glance when he recoils in horror, his face white. “Good god!” he exclaims. “What is this abomination! It is foul!”

He staggers to a chair and sits down, wiping his face with a handkerchief.

Hollingsworth lights a cigar. “He certainly takes some getting used to, doesn’t he?” he says, without emotion.

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”