Chapter 7a: The Colonel and the Mummy (Harry, Reg & Helena)

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 7a: The Colonel and the Mummy (Harry, Reg & Hele

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I shall take your word for it, sir," says Reg, having seen their reactions. "The sooner the mummy is properly disposed of, the better."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

“There is one more point to make” says Craddock shakily. “Disposing of the mummy might mean that it is harder to bring these killers to justice. I am assuming they will want to leave the country, but it will be impossible to cover all the ports. We could use the mummy to draw them out and capture them.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

"Inspector, I should feel far more comfortable remaining here tonight and able to assist should these men see fit to attack. My needs are simple, if I can find a chair somewhere to sleep in, I'm happy. I shall not get in your way, but will be there just in case."

"You may not think I can help much but I'll wager 20 guineas I'm the best pistol shot in this room."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

There is a loud contemptuous snort from the Colonel at this last statement. “Are you sure you know which pistol to aim, Captain?”

However, he spreads his hands in a magnanimous gesture. “But you’re all welcome to stay. I’ll have the servants see to some food and quarters.”

He rises and heads for the door, tipping Harry a provocative wink as he goes.
OOC,Does Reg want to stay too? Unless HelplessBystander posts, I'll assume he's finished and send Helena home and out of the game - its been a while. You'll also have to think about getting a message to the others about your intentions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Colonel," says Reg. "I too shall stay the night. Inspector, we should send a telegram to our colleagues so that they know what has transpired. A good idea, using the mummy as bait to draw out the killers. I wouldn't want to put the Colonel's family in danger, but if you were to take the mummy into evidence and put the word out in the newspapers that you had done so, that could work. This is a brazen lot we're dealing with, and I think they wouldn't be afraid to break into Scotland Yard itself to get it. However, we'll know that they're coming, and we can set a trap for them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Halfway out the door, the Colonel returns on hearing Reg’s idea.

“Absolutely not” he thunders. “The mummy stays here. If those blighters want it, they have to come through me to get it. I want to see their faces before I kill them. I owe at least that much to my men.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry holds up a placating hand. "As you wish, colonel. I'm sure Reg was just suggesting ideas to make your household safer. We are quite content to stay here as planned and guard the premises."

Harry gives Reg And the inspector a pleading look.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The Inspector is glad to have the companion’s help, and Hollingsworth provides Reg with a shotgun and some shells. Some food is provided and beds made up in the spare rooms for the surprise guests. The constables patrol the entrance hall and the rear dining room, which provides a good view of the back of the house. Shifts are agreed upon. In the meantime, it is decided that Harry and especially Reg should get some rest. A carriage is summoned for Helena and she returns to her home.

The Colonel remains in his study, smoking. A loaded shotgun lays across his knees. The house gradually settles down for a long night of tense watchfulness.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry's hope is to lay his hands on a deck of cards, a glass of port and a cigar. He will then contentedly while away a few hours at cards with Reg, and anyone else who cares to join, much as they did many a night on campaign.

Eventually, he may be left to play Patience by himself for a while until finally exhaustion strikes and he has to turn in.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reg is glad to play cards with Harry, though he turns in at a halfway decent hour. He feels better having the shotgun, though he would have preferred a rifle.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

It is around midnight when a knock at the door of their guest room shakes Harry and Reg from their slumbers. Instinctively reaching for their weapons, they can be relieved to see that it is in fact the now familiar figure of Inspector Craddock standing in the doorway. In the light of the lantern he carries, they can see that his face is stern.

“Gentlemen” he announces, “I’m sorry to wake you, but I want you to accompany me to the Army and Navy Club. There has been another murder. Toby Norton is dead.”
OOC,Unless you absolutely insist on staying, your character will return with Craddock to Pall Mall. I will open a new thread which will reunite all the characters if that is the case.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good heavens!" exclaims Reg. He springs to his feet, dresses quickly, and gathers his things to go with Inspector Craddock.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry had only taken his jacket off and undone his bow tie. Hastily he throws on his jacket, coat and scarf. (In extremis, the bow tie can be left loose around one's collar, what.)

"Poor old Norton, a shame to die afraid and in hiding. Will you leave a guard here with the colonel, inspector?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“The constables will stay. Come, the carriage awaits.” The Inspector leads the way.

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”